My experience as a teacher and thoughts on the profession...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: My experience as a teacher and thoughts on the professio

Post by War Wagon »

88 wrote:Generally speaking, those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
Can or can't do what, exactly?

Generally speaking, someone who makes a statement like that is a dumb ass.

Like you've never had a teacher who didn't help you get over the hump. Teachers aren't just in schools, they exist in every workplace. If you're fortunate, you've had one or two show you the ropes, no matter what profession you're in.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Martyred wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Strong men...
~swoon~

Sincerely,

Is that poptart? If so, he got really fat. I thought he took better care of himself. :?
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

88 wrote:Do you realize that you are calling George Bernhard Shaw a dumbass?
So?

men who wear beards are dumb asses.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

See?

Proves my point. The longer you go without shaving, the worse it gets.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

to Trampis: really no. I guess at 6'3" 230 at the time I was kind of intimidating. Here's an example: I was leaving school one afternoon and driving out of the faculty parking lot I noticed a large circle of kids on a grassy flat area on the way out. Uh-oh I thought----a fight. I drove up onto the area and when the kids saw me driving towards them, they parted like the Red Sea. I got out of the car and walked to the two young men who had been fighting---all bloodied up and all. I said to them, "you haven't been fighting have you? If you have been fighting on school property you will be expelled". They both turned to me and said, "oh no MrO." I said, "good, now everyone go home". And they all did. For years later those two boys always treated me with the utmost respect. That is one way to treat an adolescent problem without going to extreme measures. That was like 1974 or so when teachers had respect. At least I did. It was not an isolated incident, if you want to hear more.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Imus
Elwood

Post by Imus »

Atomic Punk wrote:
Martyred wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Strong men...
~swoon~

Sincerely,

Is that poptart? If so, he got really fat. I thought he took better care of himself. :?
Look who's talking...

wolfman wrote:I also remember seeing all the old people dying in the streets because they did not have medicare. Good times.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Atomic Punk wrote: Cuda, your thoughts? I mean YOU, Cuda.
mvscal gets 3 racks, wags gets 1.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

88 wrote:
Mace wrote:
88 wrote:When I went to school, if you weren't bright enough to be an engineer, a scientist, a business major etc., you got steered into elementary or secondary education or something in the liberal arts or humanities......
And the really bright ones like TVO went to law school. :roll:
A law degree is on par with a masters in education. It doesn't take much to get one, and it isn't a guarantee of financial success. Or an indication of intelligence or work ethic or...
So a law degree is like any other degree, including a degree in education. There are good and highly successful lawyers and teachers with a good work ethic, and there are lazy and unsuccessful lawyers....and teachers, and people in every field. My wife has been a teacher for 37 years and is paid about $50,000. The school pays for single medical insurance and matches my wife's contribution to her retirement fund. Folks who continue to rant about public employees and their benefits may have a problem in their particular state but it's not that way in every state.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

88 wrote:
Mace wrote:My wife has been a teacher for 37 years and is paid about $50,000. The school pays for single medical insurance and matches my wife's contribution to her retirement fund. Folks who continue to rant about public employees and their benefits may have a problem in their particular state but it's not that way in every state.
There are variations, no doubt. What do you think a teacher should be paid?

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/
Whatever their school district can afford to pay them and, yes, that will vary from school to school and state to state.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Teachers should be paid whatever amount is necessary to attract good teachers. And it should have fukkall to do with the number of letters they have after their name.

I think making master's degrees a requirement is bull. It is something that has been pushed by the teacher unions as a way of justifying higher pay. I think school systems have the ability to pay good teachers more and get rid of shitty ones. How many degrees they hold should mean jack shit.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Look at California way on the top of the salary list and one of the lowest in achievement.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

trev wrote:Look at California way on the top of the salary list and one of the lowest in achievement.
Gee, I'm sure that the high cost of living & illegal immigration had no effect on that whatsoever. :meds:

You must have drowned the few brain cells you had left.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

War Wagon wrote:See?

trev? Are you listening?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
trev wrote:Look at California way on the top of the salary list and one of the lowest in achievement.
Gee, I'm sure that the high cost of living & illegal immigration had no effect on that whatsoever. :meds:

Naw. It has more to do with the greedy powerful unions.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

mvscal wrote:
War Wagon wrote:See?

trev? Are you listening?
I epi and trim and exfoliate on a regular basis.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

trev wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:

Naw. It has more to do with the greedy powerful unions.
Just like the hospitals are losing money due to the greedy powerful nurses unions, right? :meds:

Put the bottle down, Trev. You're making Wags sound intelligent.
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:Just like the hospitals are losing money due to the greedy powerful nurses unions, right? :meds:

Nurses unions are a pretty small part of why the hospitals are in trouble. They are a factor, but, not really worth mentioning. WTF it has to do with teachers is beyond me. Perhaps you can 'splain it. The teacher's union and public employee unions in general are a big part of why cali is going into the fiscal toilet. Well, that and all those rich folks not paying their "fair share". :meds: :meds: :meds:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote:
Nurses unions are a pretty small part of why the hospitals are in trouble. They are a factor, but, not really worth mentioning. WTF it has to do with teachers is beyond me. Perhaps you can 'splain it. The teacher's union and public employee unions in general are a big part of why cali is going into the fiscal toilet. Well, that and all those rich folks not paying their "fair share". :meds: :meds: :meds:
Yeah, freezing property tax rates had nothing to do with it. Huff another cock, you semen-soaked dipshit.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Yeah, freezing property tax rates had nothing to do with it. Huff another cock, you semen-soaked dipshit.
You need to go back and punch every teacher you have ever had in the face. They have clearly and unequivocally failed you.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
smackaholic wrote:
Yeah, freezing property tax rates had nothing to do with it. Huff another cock, you semen-soaked dipshit.
It very well may have been a factor. The bottom line though is that public sector employees have a pension system that makes absolutely no fukking sense and assrapes every taxpayer in the state. How much that pension is or whether or not it is less than Mitt Romey and all the other evil rich white dudes make is irrelevant as well, just in case that was your next card.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:You need to go back and punch every teacher you have ever had in the face. They have clearly and unequivocally failed you.
Thanks for confirming I'm right, Corky.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

smackaholic wrote:It very well may have been a factor.
Uh, no. California is one of the highest tax states in the country. Even with Prop 13, California still ranks 15th in property taxes. It has the highest personal income tax, the highest sales tax, 9th in corporate income tax and dead last in job creation.

It does have the highest paid prison guards and teachers though, so we've got that going for us.

:meds: :meds: :meds:
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

smackaholic wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:Just like the hospitals are losing money due to the greedy powerful nurses unions, right? :meds:

I'm sure all those illegal immigrant children are really driving up those test scores. :meds: X infinity
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Nurses unions are a pretty small part of why the hospitals are in trouble. They are a factor, but, not really worth mentioning. WTF it has to do with teachers is beyond me. Perhaps you can 'splain it. The teacher's union and public employee unions in general are a big part of why cali is going into the fiscal toilet. Well, that and all those rich folks not paying their "fair share". :meds: :meds: :meds:
I'm sure all those illegal immigrant children are really driving up those test scores. :meds: X infinity
You really need to follow along a little better. I didn't say one fukking word about test scores or wetback influence on them. I was talking about fiscal matters.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

mvscal wrote:
smackaholic wrote:It very well may have been a factor.
Uh, no. California is one of the highest tax states in the country. Even with Prop 13, California still ranks 15th in property taxes. It has the highest personal income tax, the highest sales tax, 9th in corporate income tax and dead last in job creation.

It does have the highest paid prison guards and teachers though, so we've got that going for us.

:meds: :meds: :meds:
What is the deal with property taxes in the peoples republic of cali? A cali resident told me a while ago that the way it worked was taxes were based on appraisals that were froze when the taxpayer bought the house. This dude said that because of this his mom's property taxes on the house she bought in the 60s was next to nothing?

Is that how it actually works? Does it work the other way as well, meaning those that bought in an overvalued market 7 years ago are fuct?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

smackaholic wrote:Is that how it actually works? Does it work the other way as well, meaning those that bought in an overvalued market 7 years ago are fuct?
Or you could just google what Prop 13 entails... ya know, seeing as how it was mentioned in the post you responded to.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Skimmed through the wiki blurb on it and it is pretty much what I figured. And while it works pretty damn well for someone that bought their home in 1971 and never moved, it is a disaster for everyone else. People should not be tied to a property because it would mean financial suicide through taxation if they move.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

smackaholic wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Nurses unions are a pretty small part of why the hospitals are in trouble. They are a factor, but, not really worth mentioning. WTF it has to do with teachers is beyond me. Perhaps you can 'splain it. The teacher's union and public employee unions in general are a big part of why cali is going into the fiscal toilet. Well, that and all those rich folks not paying their "fair share". :meds: :meds: :meds:
You really need to follow along a little better. I didn't say one fukking word about test scores or wetback influence on them. I was talking about fiscal matters.
If you had followed along better you would have seen that my comment was in response to trev's post, dumbfuck.
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:Skimmed through the wiki blurb on it and it is pretty much what I figured. And while it works pretty damn well for someone that bought their home in 1971 and never moved, it is a disaster for everyone else. People should not be tied to a property because it would mean financial suicide through taxation if they move.
Basically you pay about 1% of the value of the home when you bought it and the assessment doesn't go up unless the house is sold or a major addition is built. You could get a re-assessment for a bedroom addition or a pool or whatever. Prop 13 was passed basically protect people from the skyrocketing property values in CA. There were old people who bought a home 30 years ago, paid it off, retired and then found themselves unable to stay in their home because of the suddenly huge tax bills. There are some special ways to increase the bill in new home developments like local school district bond issues called Mello-Roos.

Businesses benefitted too but it created some huge inequities between long time owners and younger new buyers, even in the same neighborhood. New buyers found themselves paying 3 or 4 times the property taxes as their older neighbors. It sort of put a damper on first time home buyers in the rising market.

The thing is the California real estate market has gone through probably four or five boom and bust cycles since then, so there have been opportunities to buy low and keep your taxes relatively low. Our taxes aren't cheap but my stepdaughter in New Jersey pays probably twice as much or more on a house that's worth maybe a little more than ours.

My ground mounted solar electric system, BTW, is exempt from any increased property assessment. Thanks to all the smackaholics in CA for continuing to finance my electric bill.
SuperCock
Crack Whore

Post by SuperCock »

mvscal wrote:
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you are one weak bitch. Jesus Christ. That is fucking pathetic. I honestly have no idea how you intend to function on any level in any occupation with that degree of fragility.

Man alive!!!

WOAH! :shock:
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

88 wrote:Do you realize that you are calling George Bernhard Shaw a dumbass?

And? Shaw was a Stalinist moron who would have been stood against a wall and shot in a sane universe.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rack the return of SuperCock!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

SuperCock wrote:
mvscal wrote:
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you are one weak bitch. Jesus Christ. That is fucking pathetic. I honestly have no idea how you intend to function on any level in any occupation with that degree of fragility.

Man alive!!!

WOAH! :shock:
woah, what?

That's mv, had 20,000 + posts simply deleted.

and Screw is racking your return?

yeah, Screw is an idiot we put up with. What's your excuse?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I can respect an old school character troll making a re-appearance from a long absence. You know, back from when we were all Twat Bitch and friends.

Oh and Whitey? Piss off, cunt.