8.9 quake hits Japan, and.....

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

mvscal
Blank

Re: 8.9 quake hits Japan, and.....

Post by mvscal »

OCmike wrote:The reason there's hydrogen there to be released and oxygen there to oxidize, is that the overheated rods are in contact with...wait for it...water.

Now either do a better job of Googling so you can add something to the discussion or fuck off.
If the rods were in water, they wouldn't be overheated, idiot. That's why they don't oxidize until they lose coolant. Hydrogen is released when the rods are in contact with...wait for it...steam.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:Aw, hold on...

Now I'm not suggesting the Chimp could properly oversee or manage the opening of a jar of peanut butter...but he was POTUS when this went down..
Chimpy was packing his bags when that went down, you stupid asshole.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:
OCmike wrote:The reason there's hydrogen there to be released and oxygen there to oxidize, is that the overheated rods are in contact with...wait for it...water.

Now either do a better job of Googling so you can add something to the discussion or fuck off.
If the rods were in water, they wouldn't be overheated, idiot. That's why they don't oxidize until they lose coolant. Hydrogen is released when the rods are in contact with...wait for it...steam.
ouch, that's going to leave a mark.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Oh. My.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... the-rubble

Animals are something else.
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Ana Ng wrote:Oh. My.
It was good for me too, babe

yeah, I saw that story this morning on CNN. Too cute. I heard they rescued both of the dogs.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Keep up the good work mv.
Go Bucs, Gators
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

War Wagon wrote:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Damn Marty, nothing is sacred.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

War Wagon wrote:
LTS Pantload wrote: With fears of a possible nuclear meltdown in Japan continuing to escalate, evidence that the nation received warnings over the stability of its power plants from an international watchdog more than two years ago has emerged via a new round of diplomatic cables accessed by WikiLeaks.

As the Telegraph is reporting, an official from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in December 2008 that safety rules were outdated, and strong earthquakes would pose a "serious problem" for the power stations.

A U.S. embassy cable quoted an unnamed expert who expressed concern that guidance on how to protect nuclear power stations from earthquakes had only been updated three times in the past 35 years. The document states: "He [the IAEA official] explained that safety guides for seismic safety have only been revised three times in the last 35 years and that the IAEA is now re-examining them.
Now wait just a minute... aren't you the guy who was extolling the virtues of Japanese safety standards compared to the U.S. just a few days ago?

Way to KYOA while trying to blame Bush, you pathetic dipshit.

What's next, you going to explain how global warming caused the tsunami?
No, it means that apparently even the highest standards of nuclear power safety were as diligently regulated as..oh, the American financial markets, eh? And if their standards were so quietly compromised, imagine how lax ours really are. Sure, we don't often have gigantic earthquakes--or massive flooding.. :doh: ..--but it seems we have the same reticence to moving boldly into new sources of cheaper and safer energy. No surprise, the demented GOP wants to eliminate the EPA. Their position is that all those pesky regulations will cut into profits--and besides, there is no threat from man-made pollution..sheesh!

The fact that the Chimp was at the helm when this was discovered is admittedly a secondary factor. He would have ignored just about anything on any important subject--such is a basic symptom of ADS and general idiocy. Same with Reagan, it would've been like water off a windshield.
Before God was, I am
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:The fact that the Chimp was at the helm when this was discovered...
For a less than a month. What has Oshitskin done with that information in the last two years? And if you think nuclear safety standards are poorly regulated, you are dumber than dogshit.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

LTS TRN 2 wrote: And if their standards were so quietly compromised, imagine how lax ours really are.
I'll leave the vivid imagining up to you but anytime you get around to proving just how lax these safety standards in reality are, that would be swell.

Btw, over the last decade, the wind farm industry has seen more fatalities than the nuclear industry. Sucks for you.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

mvscal wrote:
LTS TRN 2 wrote:The fact that the Chimp was at the helm when this was discovered...
For a less than a month. What has Oshitskin done with that information in the last two years? And if you think nuclear safety standards are poorly regulated, you are dumber than dogshit.
What's this "either/or" fallacy which you weasels curl up in so automatically? Look, I regard Barry as a dreadful president up and down, and I've detailed why. He doesn't factor here--except that he's been moving ahead with yet another item of the Chimp agenda.

No, mine was simply a dutiful acknowledgment that indeed just about any serious crisis can be traced to the Chimp, his relatives or minions. Check it out, it's like the Kevin Bacon thing except it's real--and dire as fuck.

As to our current nuclear standards, well, I 'll bet they're going to get a whole lot tighter, regardless of how they've been portrayed.
Before God was, I am
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Carson wrote:Damn Marty, nothing is sacred.
mvscal wrote:...you are dumber than dogshit.

No.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

mvscal wrote:

So the rods aren't in water? Then where does the steam come from? Oh wait, let me guess...magic again?

Look, Mr. Wizard, if the rods were submerged in circulating water that was connected to a heat exchanger, then they wouldn't overheat. The problem is that they are is partially-submerged in saltwater that doesn't have a secondary cooling system because that already blew out. And it probably wouldn't be working anyway, since it's not designed to work all gummed up with brine.

They're unable to keep the rods fully-submerged, either because the reactor vessel was breached during the earthquake or they are unable to move a sufficient volume of saltwater to maintain a high enough water level, or both. That's causing an endless cycle of water being violently boiled by the overheated rods, which is producing the steam. Is the light coming on yet?
War Wagon wrote:ouch, that's going to leave a mark.
Only if you're awarding style points for nitpicking. He's essentially bitching that I didn't painstakingly explain step by step how injecting the reactor core with saltwater was resulting in the release of hydrogen. I had no idea that this thread was going to be submitted for review to the National Science Foundation. :meds:
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

OCmike wrote:I didn't painstakingly explain step by step how injecting the reactor core with saltwater was resulting in the release of hydrogen.
That's because it didn't, you stupid dickhead. Saltwater has fuck all to with the release of hydrogen other than the fact that there isn't/wasn't enough of it to cover the fuel rods.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

mvscal wrote:
OCmike wrote:I didn't painstakingly explain step by step how injecting the reactor core with saltwater was resulting in the release of hydrogen.
That's because it didn't, you stupid dickhead. Saltwater has fuck all to with the release of hydrogen other than the fact that there isn't/wasn't enough of it to cover the fuel rods.

Dipshit...libtard...cumduct..cumduct.....from Rove I stab at thee......
Before God was, I am
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:but it seems we have the same reticence to moving boldly into new sources of cheaper and safer energy.
Link?

Safer? maybe.

cheaper?

:lol:

anyone got any handy figures on $/watt on "renewable" sources?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

mvscal wrote:If the rods were in water...
mvscal wrote:there isn't/wasn't enough of it to cover the fuel rods.
Annnnnnd, you're done.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Annnnd you aren't even trying to make sense anymore. Look, you're the idiot who said seawater was the cause of the hydrogen as though there was some unique property to seawater.

Either you are completely inarticulate or you are a complete idiot. My guess would be both.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

No, I said the cause of the hydrogen was "when it (saltwater) reacts with the hot fuel rods".

Is the problem that I need to use even smaller words so that you can understand or are you a tampon-stuffed nitpicky little bitch? My guess is both.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Geez, guys... it's a physics question...

Why don't you just ask LTS for a difinitive answer?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

OCmike wrote:No, I said the cause of the hydrogen was "when it (saltwater) reacts with the hot fuel rods".

Is the problem that I need to use even smaller words so that you can understand or are you a tampon-stuffed nitpicky little bitch? My guess is both.
No, the problem is that you are just flat-assed wrong and too much of a twat to cop to it and too stupid to stop digging the hole you're in.
In the case of salt water, when it reacts with the hot fuel rods, it creates hydrogen
It is not "nitpicking" to point out the fact that this is simply wrong as two left shoes. The hydrogen is created by a loss of coolant which exposes the rods to air in a steam ambient. Seawater is a perfectly adequate coolant. Granted it will essentially ruin a reactor for the purposes of commercial power generation but it will prevent a meltdown.

The hydrogen was being released long before any seawater entered the equation. Period. EOS.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

mvscal wrote:No, the problem is that you are just flat-assed wrong and too much of a twat to cop to it.
Wait, you can't get closure unless I say "You're right and I'm wrong?" :lol: :lol: Seriously? How very feminine of you, Ms. Vcal.
mvscal wrote:In the case of salt water, when it reacts with the hot fuel rods, it creates hydrogen
Your entire tantrum is because I said ^^^ "it creates hydrogen" instead of "hydrogen is created", isn't it. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!! Like I said: Nitpicky little bitch. If this were a peer review panel at Lawrence Livermore Lab and I were a nuclear scientist, I'd be horrified at that error. Since I haven't set foot in a steam plant in 14 years and this is a sports/smack board, jesus...really?
The hydrogen is created by a loss of coolant which exposes the rods to air in a steam ambient. Seawater is a perfectly adequate coolant. Granted it will essentially ruin a reactor for the purposes of commercial power generation but it will prevent a meltdown.

The hydrogen was being released long before any seawater entered the equation. Period. EOS.
Blah blah blah. Thanks for regurgitating my explaination of the process that I explained to YOU earlier in this thread. Remember? It's right around the part where you said that there was no water touching the rods (sup Diego) and near the part where you said water (salt or otherwise) was irrelevant or something to that effect. <-----Note: I added a qualifier since I'm not sure if I quoted you exactly. I know how particular you ladies can be about such things.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

:popcorn:

3-2 odds on mv.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

War Wagon wrote::popcorn:

3-2 odds on mv.
500-1 odds on mv ever admitting he doesn't have a fucking clue or that he's incapable of comprehending his google searches.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:3-2 odds on mv.

How bout we go with -- infinity:1 on both of them going all LTS up in this bitch?

mvscal wrote:The hydrogen is created by a loss of coolant

OCmike wrote:Your entire tantrum is because I said ^^^ "it creates hydrogen" instead of "hydrogen is created", isn't it.

While I suspect Poptart will rack this ten ways til Sunday, they both seem to be quite devout in some undertermined faith, in which they believe some diabolical Creator woke up with a grudge against Japanese nuclear scientists and started slinging rather explosive hydrogen about all willy-nilly, and caused more than one person to have a below-average week.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

"Nitpicking" at T1B?

Isn't that a new low for this sordid clambake?
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Y2K wrote:"Nitpicking" at T1B?

Isn't that a new low for this sordid clambake?
In here? That's raising the bar several notches... :wink:
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Dinsdale wrote:Geez, guys... it's a physics question...

Why don't you just ask LTS for a difinitive answer?
Wrong Specialty, Dins. L-TARD's a brain scientist.

BTW, I'll take the "over" in the Orange County v. Mission Viejo pettifogging contest...
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:
mvscal wrote:True more modern plant designs are safer, but I wouldn't knock that 40 year old design either. It withstood an earthquake powerful enough to move the entire island chain eight feet and shift the earth's axis, followed up a gigantic tsunami which knocked out all back up power not to mention numerous powerful aftershocks.

After all that, the partial meltdown did not breach the containment vessel and release of radiation was minimal. This is not a nuclear disaster story. It is a nuclear success story.
Care to offer a reappraisal?
No. Have any containment vessels been breached?
Don't look now.

Could be bad plumbing, or it could mean that part of Japan won't be habitable for hundreds of years. Stay tuned.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/25/134862141 ... ation-Zone

Just another nuclear success story. :meds:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

We've got a little Iodine 131 here in the U&L.

Not much, but it's been detected.

They're telling us we've got a 1% increase in total background radiation.

And this part of the world is past-due for The Big One (Cascadia Subduction Zone produces a 9.0+ every 250-300 years... been 310 years). I'm kinda glad they decommissioned the nuke plant on the Columbia several years back -- fucker was about to fall into the river anyway, would have taken much to push it over the edge.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Yeah, the "nuclear success story" was the immediate bullet point for the right-wing hackdom. It was dutifully parroted in a variety of mediums--including this palsied forum--but...has basically put a cork in it after a couple of days. Not even Limpdick is reciting this inverted gibberish anymore--and he'll shamelessly say anything.
Before God was, I am
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Dinsdale wrote:And this part of the world is past-due for The Big One
I wouldn't worry about it. I believe Rumps just said they're visiting No Cal.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:Not even Limpdick is reciting this inverted gibberish anymore--and he'll shamelessly say anything.
You listen to Rush Limbaugh?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Not even Limpdick is reciting this inverted gibberish anymore--and he'll shamelessly say anything.
You listen to Rush Limbaugh?
He does always seem to have the latest skinny on what Rush and Glenn Beck have been saying.

But nahhhhh... he's not trolling or anything.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote: I'm kinda glad they decommissioned the nuke plant on the Columbia several years back -- fucker was about to fall into the river anyway, would have taken much to push it over the edge.
Back in the day, I used to take people up there in a Cessna Skylane. Lay that bitch over in a real hard turn right over the top of that cooling tower, so you could look down inside of it. Pretty cool back in the day, not likely you could get away with that shit now day's, since most have restricted airspace around them. MS Flight Simulator still has the tower up in the program.

They may have knocked the cooling tower down, and "decommissioned" the reactor, but they still have the spent fuel rods in "safe" storage up there, or so says PGE. They say the pose no danger given the big one .. :meds: :meds: If the big one does hit and sends the Bonneville pool, or another of the Columbia impoundment's downstream, shit could change in a hurry.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

BSmack wrote:Don't look now.

Could be bad plumbing, or it could mean that part of Japan won't be habitable for hundreds of years. Stay tuned.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/25/134862141 ... ation-Zone

Just another nuclear success story. :meds:
All Japanese children under the age of 10 should give serious consideration to attending med school and a career in oncology.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:If the big one does hit and sends the Bonneville pool, or another of the Columbia impoundment's downstream, shit could change in a hurry.

I was talking about that with a friend yesterday.

A while back, I heard some seismologist/geologist dude talking about when the Big One hits, it will be a disaster the likes of which this country hasn't even come close to seeing. Especially if it's during business hours on a weekday, since the liquifaction from all the landfill downtown is going to sink every office building into the ground. Then if Bonneville lets go, the people in the low-lying areas won't even know what hit them... and if a tsunami comes up the river while that massive impoundment suddenly heads downstream... yeah, buddy. Sounds like an easy 500K dead at least, and nothing left of the city.

But on the positive side, the shithole known as Downtown Vancouver would get a much-needed cleansing.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:
Derron wrote:If the big one does hit and sends the Bonneville pool, or another of the Columbia impoundment's downstream, shit could change in a hurry.

I was talking about that with a friend yesterday.

A while back, I heard some seismologist/geologist dude talking about when the Big One hits, it will be a disaster the likes of which this country hasn't even come close to seeing. Especially if it's during business hours on a weekday, since the liquifaction from all the landfill downtown is going to sink every office building into the ground. Then if Bonneville lets go, the people in the low-lying areas won't even know what hit them... and if a tsunami comes up the river while that massive impoundment suddenly heads downstream... yeah, buddy. Sounds like an easy 500K dead at least, and nothing left of the city.

But on the positive side, the shithole known as Downtown Vancouver would get a much-needed cleansing.
Word. The geography of the Portland Vancouver area does not lend itself to taking this kind of an ass kicking from mother nature. I would think more people would be concerned, if they pay any attention when they fly in or out of PDX. Since I spend a fair amount of time in light aircraft, the PDX area is one fucking flat alluvial type plain, that was shaped by the Missoula floods 15,000 years ago, and really has not changed much, nor has the dynamics that will affect this area, under those scenarios. The water from the Bonneville pool heading down stream meeting a tsunami coming up the Columbia will make things pretty interesting. 500k offed is a pretty conservative estimate. And there are 11 more dams I believe up the Columbia and Snake system.

Of course as I sit in my office away from home here just off I 84 at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge, and the big one hits, I am either jamming south to higher ground or going to Troutdale airport and stealing a plane since everyone is going to be headed the other way. But making it to the airport before the Bonneville water gets here probably is not happening.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

mvscal@Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:34 pm wrote:They further anticipate power being restored in the next few hours.
How did that work out for you?