Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

How to reset your "smart" GE light bulb

Post by Mikey »

Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Re: How to reset your "smart" GE light bulb

Post by Rooster »

Whatever happened to good ol’ light switches with a rheostat? And wouldn’t using an app to turn on your light take more time and effort than simply flipping the switch? Besides which, your phone gets clogged with a thousand useless apps you never use.

I bet the guy who invented that got a promotion to Vice President of something-or-other at GE.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Rooster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:13 amAnd wouldn’t using an app to turn on your light take more time and effort than simply flipping the switch?

Cell phones supposedly give people freedom and make life easier.

But when I see folks who use their phone a lot I see folks who are frazzled, uptight, and dominated by their dumb phone.

Not IN.

I seldom use mine.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

Yeah, for the most part I use my cell phone for telephone calls. Imagine that!
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:21 am
Rooster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:13 amAnd wouldn’t using an app to turn on your light take more time and effort than simply flipping the switch?

Cell phones supposedly give people freedom and make life easier.

But when I see folks who use their phone a lot I see folks who are frazzled, uptight, and dominated by their dumb phone.

Not IN.

I seldom use mine.

Not surprised you are in the “dark” on this. Same as many other issues.

We have a ton of smart lights and they make things a ton safer for Mrs Seater among other things. For example when she is returning to the house after sunset and she is within a 1000 feet of the house certain lights turn on. Back porch, kitchen, living room and laundry room all come on.

Further when we are on vacation like now certain rooms will have random lights go on and off between sunset and 11:00pm. Gives the appearance of someone in the house.

When we want to turn lights off/on when we are in the house it is easy to tell Alexa to turn them on or off.

We also have a nest thermostat. It is on 80 right now. But when we land at DFW I will have it drop to 70 so it will be comfy when we get to the house.

All of these can be controlled by my cell phone.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

The wi-fi enabled thermostats are pretty cool. We got a Honeywell last year. I was able to monitor the indoor temperature from NYC while we were there in June and bump up the AC when the outdoor temperature broke 100 deg, so our cats wouldn't roast in the house.

We don't have any "smart" lights yet, though I understand that Philips makes a pretty good system.

Not ready to invite Alexa into my home, either, and can't see us doing so any time in the near future. It just seems a little creepy having someone or something constantly listening to everything you say in your house. Who knows who might be hacking that data or even just harvesting it for marketing or whatever purposes? I don't mind going to the trouble of logging on to place my Amazon orders.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

LS" wrote:Not surprised you are in the “dark” on this. Same as many other issues.

We have a ton of smart lights and they make things a ton safer for Mrs Seater among other things. For example when she is returning to the house after sunset and she is within a 1000 feet of the house certain lights turn on. Back porch, kitchen, living room and laundry room all come on.

Further when we are on vacation like now certain rooms will have random lights go on and off between sunset and 11:00pm. Gives the appearance of someone in the house.

When we want to turn lights off/on when we are in the house it is easy to tell Alexa to turn them on or off.

We also have a nest thermostat. It is on 80 right now. But when we land at DFW I will have it drop to 70 so it will be comfy when we get to the house.

All of these can be controlled by my cell phone.
Just how it is sold to us.

Enjoy!

Alexa
The Whore of Babylon.

:)
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is