Rating the conferences as of 11/5

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Rating the conferences as of 11/5

Post by Left Seater »

Check that on the Big XII. Iowa State, Texas and TCU all play defense.

TCU held Okie Lite to 30 and Texas held them to 13 in an OT game.

Iowa State and Texas held TCU to a combined 31 points.

Iowa State held West Virginia and TCU to a combined 27 points.

Texas is holding their opponents too 21.4 points below their season average.

So there is some defense played in the Big XII. Granted the Texas and Iowa State offenses are HS level so there is that.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
dcubed
Crack Whore

Post by dcubed »

schmick wrote:I will never understand this conference pride nonsense that only happens in college football.
Because only in College Football are you rated by the strength of your conference. You've only got so many Out of Conference games the rest are all in conference so you have to pump them up to look better.

The problem is when you are in a tough conference, you end up beating up on each other and teams from weaker conferences run the table and get a spot they probably don't deserve as much. The PAC-12 is tougher than anyone really gives them credit for but they look weak because they beat up on each other and each team ends up with several losses. Potentially the PAC-12 could be left out of the CFP because of this. Whereas had a team run the table, they would almost be assured a spot.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:PAC 12 non-conference schedules/records may have something to do with getting left out (if that happens).
Huh?

Let's go down the list, shall we?

Kal -- North Carolina and Ole Miss

Ducks - Nebraska

Beavs -- Minnesota

Furd - San Diego State and Notre Dame

Fuskies - The Fighting BWAHAHAHAS

Cougs -- Boise State and Nevada

Zona - The Not Much

Devils - San Diego State and Texas Tech

Buffs - No One

fUCLA - Texas AtM, Hawaii, and Memphis

USC - Texas and Notre Dame

Utes - Not Much

Maybe the committee should leave the SEC out of the playoffs every year, for that very reason, although the D3 schools do appreciate the paychecks.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:

Maybe the committee should leave the SEC out of the playoffs every year, for that very reason.
At least they play against the Pac 12 a couple of times.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Maybe the committee should leave the SEC out of the playoffs every year, for that very reason.
And they went 0-2.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

And they went 0-2.
Damn Dins, that's some hard pimping right there. Two Pac-12 bottom feeders beat two SEC bottom feeders. This was usually M200L's beat back in the day.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I think the best way to weigh the conferences is who is best at top of the leagues, who has the best conference vs. conference wins and the lack of bad losses from their top teams. Way down on criteria would which conference has the best worst teams. Conferences cannibalizes themselves because of head-to-head but you don't want to your top teams in the conference to have a loss against a bottom-feeder.

The SEC and ACC should be considered the best conferences. I'd probably go slight edge with the ACC. Georgia and Miami both boast wins over Notre Dame so that cancels each other out. Clemson with the win over Auburn is probably the tiebreaker in any argument. Alabama beating Florida State just doesn't have the sizzle it should have.

Big XII would be next in line. Oklahoma with a win in Columbus might be the best non-conference road win unless you still favor Georgia's narrow win in South Bend.

Pac-12 and B1G is fairly close at 4 and 5. USC beat Texas but who hasn't? Stanford still has to play Notre Dame. The B1G best out of conference games were losses. Michigan State lost at home to Notre Dame and Ohio State lost at home to Oklahoma. Michigan beat Florida in Dallas but we've seen what a mess Florida is. Wisconsin doesn't really have a trademark win while remaining unbeaten. It is one of the more unimpressive resumes a power five conference unbeaten could have.

In the end, there's only one team out of the Pac-12 and B1G that I'd even consider for the playoff. I think we're a Wisconsin loss from opening the door to two ACC or SEC teams in the playoff.

After yesterday's action:
1. ACC
2. SEC
3. Big XII
4. Pac-12
5. B1G