Jupiter

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Jupiter

Post by Left Seater »

BSmack wrote: They just put their cars in their garages.
This. I don't understand why more people in areas with snow and ice don't have a garage or carport. When I lived in MA it wasn't an expense thing, people just liked to bitch about it. And half of the folks who did have a garage kept it looking like Holic's porch build. The crap was so deep they couldn't walk into them.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Supply and demand. 2/3rds of half the people I know can't afford it. Covered parking adds 40,000 fulas to your property value (600 US). Not everyone can afford it. If covered parking is cheap and easy in your neck of the woods, clearly no one wants to live there. You're an adventurer in the burbs, seeking out new things. getting over on the rest.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Update your spreadsheet. I live in the heart of a city.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Left Seater, you're a pilot. As a pilot you are keenly aware of the importance of a hangar in your line of work. But you also are able to see the planning of the areas you fly over.

- Why isn't there more covered parking in the downtowns you fly over?
- Why isn't covered parking standard for places of business elsewhere?
- What type of acreage are homes with garages sitting on, which homes without do not?

Instead of assuming people of bitching for the sake of bitching, use those eagle eyes to ascertain what actually happened and why garages were not culturally important or profitable at the time of build.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I've never lived in a (single family) house that didn't have a garage, going back to when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. I've lived in some apartments, in my younger years, that had parking with no cover. Not all that important here in SoCal, though.

That being said, I've lived in the same house now for almost 19 years. It has a three car garage that's so full of stuff, including lawn tractor, power tools and exercise equipment, that I've never been able to park a car in it. We just finished building a 12x18 foot shed in the back yard that's going to take a lot of that stuff, so in the next few weeks I'll be parking one or two cars in the garage. The F250 is too tall and too long to go in there anyway.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In the Midwest, the closer you got downtown, the less likely a home was built with a garage. Left Seater lived in Massachusetts. The East Coast has some of the oldest construction and city planning in the country, so he should definitely know better. Garages as mandatory isn't that old.

A three car garage is not normal. But you guys also don't culturally expect to include basement space in your square footage, right?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Very few basements around here. Everything is slab on grade.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

IB I get that NYC, Boston, Philly etc don't have garages for each and every walk up or three family home in the urban core. At the same time those same abodes often don't have a car in each household. So apples to menus.

When my wife and I lived in Boston our house which was built in 1911 had a garage. It was a single bay. So when we moved there we sold one car. When we lived in Philly our house built in 1904 had a dirt floor basement and a one car garage. So....

Around here most homes have garages to keep the cars out of the sun. At the major employers, the first couple of floors are parking and then the office space above them. USAA the largest employer has 18000 employees on their campus and each has a covered or garage spot. Same at Valero.

So I will stand by my statement that you don't want to scrape, park in a garage or car port.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Three more storms headed our way. Some douche will probably be naming them the three amigos or something stupider. Sitting on 300k ac ft. We are set for at least two years. Should reach 90% of our capacity by February. Then it's more about ground water replenishing.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Left Seater wrote:Update your spreadsheet. I live in the heart of a city.
Buffalo? Got any bidding wars on your garage? You're a babe in the woods :lol: