Re: In Case Anyone Gives a Shit

Post by Dinsdale »

19. Took around 5 seconds.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Dinsdale wrote:19. Took around 5 seconds.
:meds:

Last edited by atmdad on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

atmdad wrote:

yup
Say Hey
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Typo. But I'll take my lumps regardless.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

actually there is not enough information, does the single wine glass symbol actually equal 1/2 the two wine glass symbol? Smackie, order of operations.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Hey dins, you might want to take a few more seconds next time through.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

atmdad wrote:actually there is not enough information, does the single wine glass symbol actually equal 1/2 the two wine glass symbol? Smackie, order of operations.
That's the safe assumption, and I agree with your answer. I understand order of ops.
Say Hey
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Not a logical assumption that the double wine glass symbol is supposed to be twice the single wine glass symbol. If it was then why would they put two of those together with a plus sign instead of just stringing four singles. Not consistent.

Unless it's a typo it would be more logical to assume, in the absence of any operator, that the wine glass is the square root of 2. Not likely though because these puzzles rarely deviate from integral components and solutions.

That being said, you need to consider the source. It probably has something to do with some obscure formula incorporating the 17 day moving average of the S&P500 compared to the current price of squirrel meat futures on the Chicago commodities exchange.
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

atmdad wrote:...the single wine glass...
"Single wine glass? I'm only familiar with the 4 gallon box with E-Z-carry-handle...you'll have to excuse me."

Sincerely, Goobs
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Upon further review -- Mikey, Chanman, and Went Ass-To-Mouth On His Dad are correct. Using the symbols as variables, a wine glass is the square root of 2, as Mikey mentioned.

In other words -- the puzzle is shit.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The correct answer is whoever made up this puzzle is an idiot.
I found a site that had multiple choice and it claimed the answer is 60 :? :lol: :lol: :doh:

May be true. But in a different math world than most of us live in.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

KC Scott wrote:
Mikey wrote:Not a logical assumption that the double wine glass symbol is supposed to be twice the single wine glass symbol. .
You aren't very good at this sort of thing either, are you?
Likely a lot better at it than you are. Still waiting with bated breath for your solution.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

KC Scott wrote:
Mikey wrote:The correct answer is whoever made up this puzzle is an idiot.
I found a site that had multiple choice and it claimed the answer is 60 :? :lol: :lol: :doh:

May be true. But in a different math world than most of us live in.
LOL Stanford boy - you really needed search the interwebs for the answer?

Fucking hilarious

A + A + A = 30
A + B + B = 20
B + C + C = 9
B + ( 1/2 of C) *A = 60

A = 10
B = 5
C = 2

This thread turned into far more fun than I ever expected
Seriously?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must have learned math at Trump University.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

KC Scott wrote:Holy shit - I thought Smackie, Dan and Dins were 'supposed' to be smarter than a 6th grader?
Whereas no one here would ever make that mistake about you, and you've proven why. It actually appears 4th grade math is too advanced for you.
Say Hey
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

KC Scrote is not gifted in attention to detail.

-MA
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I'm sorry, but unless you are reading a tax bill (from left to right), a dime plus a nickel does not equal $0.60. :lol:
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

KC Scott wrote:You couldn't get the puzzle
I did get it.
You wrote:much like the election and you're prediction on the Royals / Angels series, you don't like the result so now you just want sit around and complain
Link?

I'd explain to you the error you made, but atmdad already alluded to it, and besides, we do agree on one point:
You wrote:This thread turned into far more fun than I ever expected
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll even give you a hint: PEMDAS
Say Hey
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

KC Scott wrote:

You couldn't get the puzzle, and much like the election and you're prediction on the Royals / Angels series, you don't like the result so now you just want sit around and complain

Typical Liberal

:hfal:
Doesn't understand one of the most basic rules of mathematics and doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're."

I'd say typical Trumpista but I'm pretty sure even the typical Trumpista gets those.
Typical brain damaged purse carrying lift and steam man-gazer maybe.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Sam--

Just like KC Scott, it's pretty simple and obvious to see that you are not good at basic math.

But you take it even a step further by not being very good at counting either.

This thread is a giant spider web catching all the idiots. :lol:
Last edited by L45B on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

L45B wrote:KC Scott, you are not good at basic math.
But he is good at posting :hfal: , so that makes up for his retardation.
Say Hey
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

You can't solve for the single glass. There isn't enough information to determine its' value.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

KC Scott wrote:It's a puzzle not an algebraic equation
Hmmm...so it's a puzzle for which the solution is determined only by its creator, and the "logic" to the solution is what you posted here?
You wrote:A + A + A = 30
A + B + B = 20
B + C + C = 9
B + ( 1/2 of C) *A = 60

A = 10
B = 5
C = 2
I'll agree with you on the point that it's not an algebraic equation. It's simple arithmetic (no variables), and you're trying to prove you're right using arithmetic, which means the rules of arithmetic apply. That would mean ALL the rules, not just the ones you decide. You arrive at the values for A, B, and C using arithmetic, and they're the same values the rest of us arrived at. But then:
You wrote:you keep trying to apply your rules to the game rather than just play the game by the rules set forth
Those aren't "my" rules or "our" rules. They're universal rules that govern math. And what are "the rules set forth"? Who set them forth, and where are they? You say PEMDAS is not applicable here because it's a puzzle. WTF?!? In what world does

B + ( 1/2 of C) *A = 60

given the values for the letters and the basic rules of math? Why is PEMDAS not applicable given the rules that weren't set forth? Because you say so and you won't admit you're sportin' an extra chromosome? If it doesn't apply, the onus is on you to explain why. And "it's a puzzle" is not a sufficient explanation.
Say Hey
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Last edited by Moving Sale on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

KC Scott wrote:You can learn to play by their rules and figure out how to win
Or, you can conclude that the person who created the puzzle was as much of a tard as you are and came up with an answer that makes no sense and can't be logically explained. There is that.
Say Hey
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

KC Scott wrote:Sorry this little life lesson has gotten you so upset, Spock
The "life lesson" of discovering you're mentally deficient was learned long ago, and was in no way upsetting to me. But because I'm the giving sort and this is the holiday season, I'll make one last, and undoubtedly futile, attempt to educate you.

This is not a puzzle once the simple task of determining the values of A, B, and C is complete. It then becomes a two-step mathematical operation expressed thusly:

5 + 1 * 10 = ?

At that point, it is irrelevant what the creator of the "puzzle" thinks. The rules of math are all that matter. You're trying to argue that the creator of the "puzzle" is allowed to reach whatever conclusion he wants based on some unstated rules and the fact that it's his puzzle. Sorry to break it to you, but it doesn't work that way. The fact that you say you initially came up with the right answer, but then changed it to agree with what the creator says is correct, just shows that you're a sheep who'll believe anything you're told rather than thinking for yourself. Again, not a "life lesson" recently discovered or in any way upsetting to me, and I have no doubt you'll vainly attempt to spin you're way out. You can't use the argument "it depends on how you look at the problem." It doesn't.
You're welcome. Merry Christmas!
Say Hey
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Problem with that SC is that the symbols represent something therefore this equation is algebra and the "x" is never used in algebra to represent "times" so this is an academic question not a mathematical one. That why it's called a puzzle.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

T1B

this shithole has been around for 10 years?

Can someone check the math on that.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Wow, definitely not an impressive group of math scholars in this thread (fyi, algebra is math).

The puzzle happened to include some elementary arithmetic operations like multiplication ("x") and addition ("+"), thus it inherently requires a mathematical solution.
Moving Sale wrote:Problem with that SC is that the symbols represent something therefore this equation is algebra and the "x" is never used in algebra to represent "times" so this is an academic question not a mathematical one. That why it's called a puzzle.
Not quite sure what all that^ babble was about, but ultimately you still used the "x" to multiply. Isn't that partly how you arrived at the (wrong) answer of 60?

Not to give away the true ending to this puzzle, but as with anything in life, there are rules and established processes for solving logical problems. For instance, if one of you turds was at a wine tasting event, you would actually require the bartender to pour wine into your glass before you could physically drink wine out of your glass. Not sure if that will make sense to some of you.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

That's it
Blame it on me because you can't read
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Reading your 2nd grade drivel has absolutely no relevance to the rules of elementary mathematics.

a + b * c = b * c + a = c * b + a = a + c * b

5 + 1 * 10 = 1 * 10 + 5 = 10 * 1 + 5 = 5 + 10 * 1

candy + wine * snow = wine * snow + candy = snow * wine + candy = candy + snow * wine

The values / variables / symbols are insignificant, they all can change. The rules for math stay the same.

Any of you need to borrow some flash cards?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

You didn't use an "x" and why is that?

Lights yet dumbfuck?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Moving Sale wrote: the "x" is never used in algebra to represent "times".
Not true.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Ok you got me
Yes I have heard of scientific notation
Again that's why this is a puzzle not a mathematical equation
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

atmdad wrote:

My apologies Dins,

Considering the discussion that postulated that the single wine glass represents the square root of the value of two wine glasses instead of half the value of two wine glasses, then your original answer is damn close when rounding down to a whole integer. That is assuming you interpreted the "x" as the sign for a multiplicative operation as clearly distinguished in the algebraic problem/puzzle presented.

Mikey, I disagree that in the absence of an operator that it implies the square root. I would say it is the product of the forward higher tilting glass with that of the following lower tilted glass. The final equation only presents one of the variables, that we do not know. Only that the product of the two equal two. As the problem is presented there is no solution.

FUCK YOU SCOTT - Merry Christmas
Whitey McPrivilege
Crack Whore

Post by Whitey McPrivilege »

The correct answer is clearly 60.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

atmdad wrote:T1B

this shithole has been around for 10 years?

Can someone check the math on that.
You can't really say that it's been around for 10 years. It might just be the square root of 10 plus whatever change is in KC Scott's purse.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Let's try something a little different - defend your answer. The two front-runners are 15 and 60. KC Squat, MS, Whitey, and apparently the puzzle's creator are in Camp 60. Dins, atmdad, and I are in Camp 15. Regardless of your answer, you had to have made certain assumptions, employed a combination of mathematical and non-mathematical logic, played by some set of rules, and used a process to arrive at your answer.

My first step was to employ Occam's Razor. Next, I defined the symbols and made reasonable assumptions. Finally, I simply did the math according to basic universal rules (i.e., PEMDAS).

Assumptions

1. There is enough information provided to arrive at a solution.
2. Symbols: "+" means plus, "x" means times, and "=" means equals.
3. A=snowflake=10; B=candy cane =5; C=wine glass=1, using the same arithmetic logic Squat used. Basically, if two wine glasses have a value of 2, then half that many glasses have half the value using Occam's Razor.

Given these assumptions and the information provided, it ceases being a puzzle and becomes the simple arithmetic equation expressed as:

5 + 1 x 10 = ?

Using the universally accepted rule of PEMDAS, there is only one correct answer: 15.

MS - Despite your assertion that "this equation is algebra," it is not. Algebra uses variables. A, B, & C are all constants, and no variables are used. This is basic, 4th-grade arithmetic. Call it a "puzzle" that falls outside math logic all you want, since it obviously puzzles you. But you arrived at an answer, presumably using math, so defend it, since that's kinda what you do for a living. That and obfuscate evidence, which you're also doing here.

Anyone can try to make this more difficult than it actually is by introducing the possibility that square roots could be part of the "puzzle" (and some of you have), but why? It needlessly makes the puzzle more complicated, and makes an answer far more difficult to logically defend. It also requires assuming facts not in evidence, such as what the creator was thinking, and is not required to arrive at a logically sound and defensible solution.

If the answer of 15 is wrong given the set of reasonable assumptions made to arrive at it, the onus is on you to show me where I erred. If the answer of 60 is correct, defend it.
Say Hey
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

atmdad wrote:
atmdad wrote:

My apologies Dins,

Considering the discussion that postulated that the single wine glass represents the square root of the value of two wine glasses instead of half the value of two wine glasses, then your original answer is damn close when rounding down to a whole integer. That is assuming you interpreted the "x" as the sign for a multiplicative operation as clearly distinguished in the algebraic problem/puzzle presented.

Mikey, I disagree that in the absence of an operator that it implies the square root. I would say it is the product of the forward higher tilting glass with that of the following lower tilted glass. The final equation only presents one of the variables, that we do not know. Only that the product of the two equal two. As the problem is presented there is no solution.

FUCK YOU SCOTT - Merry Christmas
You have a good point. I falsely assumed that the two wine glasses are equivalent, which they clearly are not. So we have a system of equations that is not solvable using the standard rules and conventions of math and/or algebra.

I guess that makes it a puzzle. And the answer is whatever iodotic conclusion Scrote decides to pull out of his purse on any given day.
Last edited by Mikey on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The answer is parenthesis are a good thing. Use them.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.