Why We're Here

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Why We're Here

Post by Smackie Chan »

Most of us who post here migrated from other boards with roots tying back to SmackChat (which makes us legends according to one source). If you posted on SmackChat, chances are you did so as a result of listening to the Jim Rome Show on radio. That pretty much means the Bitter Elf can be assigned primary responsibility for our being here. This applies to me, and I'll admit I enjoyed being a jungle dweller and found Romey's show to be fresh and entertaining. I haven't listened to it for several years because there are no affiliates that I know of in the DC area, and even if there were, it's on while I'm at work and I couldn't listen anyway. I don't watch his show on CBS either, but still think he's a good broadcaster, host, and interviewer.

I bring this up because today is Van Smack's 52nd birthday, and I'll pay musical homage to him right off the bat tonight in TuneTown. Drop in at 9PM Eastern if you wanna help us celebrate, and if you're late, you'll still be able to dig the assortment of tunes I'll be spinning, which will include a set commemorating Hug a Drummer Day, which was last Monday, and we can also wish an early Happy Birthday to one of the more distinguished and respected posters on the board (who also happens to be a regular in TuneTown) whose birthday is this weekend. WOOHOO!!!

Rock on, kids!
"I see everything twice!"
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: Why We're Here

Post by Wolfman »

I often wonder how many T1B folks trace their roots to SmackChat #1---the Jim Benton board and all the fun it was back then. IRC #jimrome was the place to be for chat those days. I must have called Rome's show a hundred times, James from Syracuse. Was in the 1999 Smack-off, with references to Elbans that Rome didn't get. That was the idea. I actually cut it short as I was on my way to a job interview at Cornell that afternoon. The link to the recording has disappeared so you'll be spared the chance at hearing it.
Probably more interesting is the members here that are not connected via the Jungle. I think 88 is in that group.
Last edited by Wolfman on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Wolfman wrote:Probably more interesting is the members here that are not connected via the Jungle. I think 88 is in that group.
Believe 88 posted on SCIII.
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

I'll be in tunes tonight....sometimes I'm digits....sometimes I'm pickle. It depends how many of my enemies are in chat.

See you tonight! It's a rocking good time!
Last edited by The Big Pickle on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Big Pickle wrote:I'll be in tunes tonight....sometimes I'm digits....sometimes I'm pickle. It depends how many of my enemies are in chat.

See you tonight! If you ain't in tunes tonight you'll should be ashamed of yourselves! It's a rocking good time!
Go fuck yourself
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mgo and I had a class together in high school in 1999-2000 and he introduced me to "Smack Chat." The rest is history and unfortunately for the rest of yous, I'm still here.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Jesus. You and Mgo are that young?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

trev wrote:Jesus. You and Mgo are that young?
I have kids older than they are. :doh:
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Who is Van Smack :?:
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Who is Van Smack :?:

Jim Rome. :grin:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Smackie Chan wrote:
trev wrote:Jesus. You and Mgo are that young?
I have kids older than they are. :doh:
Yep. It was our senior years.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Who is Van Smack :?:
Van Smack Jim Rome; see also (for Rome) 'Huge One', [from their mutual enjoyment of boastful, demeaning speech, affected by Van Exel's name] 2. Nick Van Exel

http://jimrome.stucknut.com/smacktionary.php
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

Huh. I didn't realize Rome & I shared the same birth date, although I'm older than him by three years. I discovered SCII and lurked for a long time before I ever posted.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
BarFlie
x-grunt

Post by BarFlie »

I'm here because of an old friend that got me interested in trolling and the laffs to be had back around 2000. I showed up here a few years later because that old friend was in here getting members familiar with online radio shows. I was a big fan of "Katy's Eighty's and live music caught on big time even on other boards. Unfortunately things turned sour kind of like the way the current election is going with lot's of insults flying around on both sides. I got banned from numerous boards over the years including T1B but I found my way back here mainly for the variety of DJ's doing live shows here. It's still happening and I'll be here at 9pm too.

BarF
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Yes Smackie, there are a few of the original Smack Chat crew hanging around. I very much remember B'Smack, or Brian in Crapchester and Big O's posts. There were some tremendous flame wars that went on, Bri and Mal had a couple of beuts. Some funny shit went down on SC.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Started on SC1 when you could still troll as anyone because there were no passwords. That would be what? 1996?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I was in Binghamton on a business trip. It was July 1997. I was bored out of my mind and did an Alta Vista search for Jim Rome andstumbled on The Jim Rome Show's web page by Jim Benton.

I've enjoyed the insanity of the last 19 years, especially the low tolerance for banality exhibited by most of you fuckers.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I started listening in '96 when Rome started in my town. Not sure when I joined smack chat, but it took me awhile to get the nerve to post. I got smacked pretty good with my first thread "Good pizza in So Cal." Back then, lots of us were from Cali. I was assumed to be male for a long time, til I fessed up.

Why am I still here? I have no idea.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

trev wrote:Why am I still here?
The better question is why aren't you in TuneTown?
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Wait, what? You did multiple years as a Sr? Well done, taking a HS victory lap. Although I can't imagine that helped you in the chic department.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Wait, what? You did multiple years as a Sr? Well done, taking a HS victory lap. Although I can't imagine that helped you in the chic department.
Thank you for the English correction.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

88 wrote: I started posting in 1998. Not sure what board it was. Probably SCIII. I remember that Webdog was the moderator. Mostly stayed in the CFB forum. Ventured into the main board a couple of times and got mauled. Decided to just read and enjoy for a year or so.
mostly stayed in the NFL forum because those posters were ruthless...fun but ruthless
get out, get out while there's still time
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'm just here because this place is an epic way to keep your smack tight.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm just here because this place is an epic way to keep your smack tight.
Remember what you said to me about me being 35 yo and still posting during our smackoff run? :mrgreen:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I was around for the last 6 months or so of SCIII. That sordid clambake was a blast. Lots of traffic and some very funny posters. Then the mods forgot to lock the doors one day and the trolls went beserk. That was kind of fun to watch until they burned the fukking place to the ground. Now, we are pretty much like an old married couple. Seems like we should all be meeting at McD's for coffee on wednesday mornings.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Moving Sale wrote:Remember what you said to me about me being 35 yo and still posting during our smackoff run?
I don't. Seems it stuck with you for a long time though.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:Remember what you said to me about me being 35 yo and still posting during our smackoff run?
I don't. Seems it stuck with you for a long time though.

Are you implying that you're in Moving Sale's dome?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Guess I have a better memory.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

You should post a pic when you figure out how to use it!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rooster wrote:Huh. I didn't realize Rome & I shared the same birth date, although I'm older than him by three years. I discovered SCII and lurked for a long time before I ever posted.
Too bad you aren't still just lurking.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

KC Scott wrote:
The AFC West contingents for all 4 teams were Yuuuuge back then
<<<<<<< that's your pic is it not?

Ah the good old days.....
get out, get out while there's still time