Your first week takeaways

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Your first week takeaways

Post by Mikey »

The PAC12 isn't looking too much like a Power 5 conference right now.
Stanford will have to win out to beat Houston for the fourth playoff spot.
Gage Gabrud will be playing for Oregon in a couple of years.

Sorry...Gubrud.
Last edited by Mikey on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Your first week takeaways

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Michigan will win the national title now that they have Nike/Jordan making their uniforms as opposed to Adidas.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You're just jealous because their unis are so much sharper than Sparty's.
And Harbaugh is way sexier than Dantonio.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:You're just jealous because their unis are so much sharper than Sparty's.
The celebrity quotient is off the chain.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm really liking the new tradition at Wazzu -- losing to a FCS to open the season.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Mikey wrote:You're just jealous because their unis are so much sharper than Sparty's.
Nah. Urine unis got nothin' on the green & white.

And Harbaugh is way sexier than Dantonio.
I don't think MSU fans would want it any other way.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Tom Herman and Renu Kantor have completely changed the culture of college football in Houston. Herman's H-town Takeover campaign is officially a huge success and the local ratings reflect it.

Last season's top rated regular season games in Houston:

Yesterday's game drew a 12.8. Highest rating ever for an opening game.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Random thoughts

The "Looked Good" list:

- Houston's defense. For many years, they've always been associated with high octane offense. With their sorryassed schedule, they should run the table, and get a decent bowl.

- Bama's defense. I don't even know how good SC;s offense is, since they were made a star of a snuff film.

- Nebraska. Let's face it, every team has to shake the rust off in Week 1. Fresno St. isn't a world-beater, but usually puts out a decent squad. Too much depth opened up things for NU later in the game. In Riley's long tenure at Oregon St., the knock on him was always about making his offense too complicated, and his playbook too large early in the season. Looks like he must have toned that down, since they seemed fairly well-prepared.

- Auburn's defense looked good. Offense looked suspect.

- Wisconsin's defense... nuff said.

- Oregon's offense. With a new QB, and many questions about the O-Line, things went well. So ridiculously deep at the skill positions, it can overcome a lot of deficiencies. The O-line performed better than I expected, especially considering the best, most experienced member, Tyrell Crosby, sat this one out (very minor owie on the foot). Charles Nelson (me and mine always put a Reilly on the end), who we were told was going to pretty much only play DB, rang up almost 300 all-purpose yards (and coughed it up twice). Royce Freeman didn't tote it as much as a "normal" game, but looked like his unstoppable self. The who RB corps killed it.

- All the hot chicks that came and sat at our table at the bar, and started buying us drinks. I'm freaking good looking and have hella game, and that's still something I don't rely on happening consistently.

The "Looked Bad" list:

- Since I'm on the subject of Oregon... the defense. Just straight brutal. Lost a lot, and there's plenty of talent, but a new DC (Mr. Hoke, who seems like he's drunk all the time), and a buncha new starters definitely disrupts the continuity. But UC Davis shouldn't be moving the ball (albeit inconsistently) on a legit team (although UCD played surprisingly well). Got a gimme against UVA next week, but the D needs to tighten up a shitload, or Nebraska will score 70 on them. Although there was a huge bright spot -- freshman DE Troy Dye stepped into some huge shoes (DeForest Buckner), and shocked everyone by appearing borderline dominant -- big and fast.

- Bama's offense. Lots of deer-in-the-headlights going on. I realize they put more guys in the NFL last season than Iowa did when Noj posted here, but they looked out of sorts, and it was pretty much great individual efforts that ran up all the points at the end (with much help from SC).

- LSU's offense. When you have a less-than-one-dimensional offense, opponents will figure that shit out.

- Florida. Sucked massive donkey dicks, but apparently are in the right conference to still get poll votes.

- Meyer and Khaki's level of "class." Really?

- The officiating across the board. Saw questionable fouls called all day long.

I'm sure I'll have more.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Dinsdale wrote:Random thoughts

The "Looked Good" list:

- Houston's defense.
Their front seven I'll put it up against any other team in the country. They are deep and they are good. Ed Oliver true frosh 5 star who choose to stay home had 2 sacks and 7 tackles against college football royalty. That's an 18 year old completely dominating a line full of 4 star recruits.

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I'm trying really hard to temper my expectations, but that was as good as Colorado has looked in a season opener in probably 15 years. It's just too early to tell if they're actually gonna be halfway decent this year or if CSU is just godawful. Next week won't tell us much either, but the game in Ann Arbor in two weeks should be a good barometer of how far they've actually come. I don't expect a win, but it'd be cool if they could at least keep it respectable. The defense looked really strong, forcing five 3 & outs and a turnover on CSU's first six possessions. Chidobe Awuzie looks like a legit All-American candidate at CB. But what impressed me the most was the downfield blocking by our WRs. There were several successful screens and toss sweeps that would've been blown up for a loss in years past. Other than some ball handling issues that will hopefully be addressed this week, the Buffs looked like a really smart, disciplined team. Still not sure how feasible a bowl game is, playing the 20th toughest schedule in the country and all, but they certainly did not look like a last place team Friday night.
"Keys, woman!"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ND/Texas was wildly entertaining. It had a little bit of everything you want in a college football game: offense, defense (well, until the 2nd half), lead changes, overtime, big hits, great individual performances (Kizer, the frosh QB for UT, Swoopes), a blocked extra point returned all the way back for the game tying score, baffling coaching decisions and QB mismanagement, and the camera guy panning the crowd for shots of hot Tejas girls.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:Mikey, I'm not sure any of the big conferences looked super duper. Definitely going to be a wait and see year. Josh at CF made the statement about how absurd it was to have 3 top 10 preseason ranked teams get bounced in in week 1, and I couldn't agree more. Rankings should not come out until about week 6...
You're right. There's so much turnover on college teams every year that pre-season and early season polls aren't really meaningful except to stir up interest.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

If it wasn't for absurd preseason polls, how else would BTPCFB grease the wheels for ND and scUM?
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:and the camera guy panning the crowd for shots of hot Tejas girls.
I will never complain about that.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Screw_Michigan wrote:If it wasn't for absurd preseason polls, how else would BTPCFB grease the wheels for ND and scUM?
You have to start from somewhere. Even if we were ranking teams at week 6, how could you possibly know if 6-0 Troy should be ranked one spot behind 4-2 Penn St.?

I think you have to establish some sort of baseline because people's rankings are going to be all over the place between the polls. In the end, it doesn't really matter as the current system has selected the correct top 4 teams both seasons. I suppose you can make an argument against OU last season, but who goes in their place?

Ohio State?
Iowa?
Stanford?

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Papa Willie wrote:Rankings should not come out until about week 6...
The only rankings that matter are first revealed after the 9th week. What's the problem?
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

First week take aways? Notre Dame's defense looks worse than Hope Solo's leather cheerio.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

What's up with the ugly Christmas sweater design on the sleeves of FSU's jerseys? Is that new, or am I just now noticing it?
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

First week takeaways:

Officiating crews looked rusty and will get better.

The self glossed best QB in the country played like ass over the final 40 minutes, went 20 plus minutes without a first down and had -7 total yards in the 3rd quarter.

Brian Kelly is an idiot for playing anyone at the QB position other than #14.

Two QB systems aren't supposed to work like they did for Texas.

Swooped at Texas seems like a class act. As a Sr he gets passed over by a true Frosh. Instead of bitching he supports the kid and karma rewards him with the game winner.

Apparently running thru smoke onto the field is hard see W Kentucky, but not as hard as striping a HS field in South Carolina.

Not sure if Bama is that good or SC is that bad.

Tenn was crazy lucky to win, but a W is still a W.

Samantha Ponder is easy on the eyes.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Left Seater wrote:Two QB systems aren't supposed to work like they did for Texas.
That's because it isn't a two QB system. It's a run/physical dominance package. There's really nothing for an opposing defense to figure out. Can you man up and stop it? Yes? No?

Gotta give credit to Charlie Strong for dumbing it down far enough to make Swoops useful. Good kid, great power runner, shit QB.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:
Two QB systems aren't supposed to work like they did for Texas.

Seemed to work pretty well for Chris Leak and Tim Tebow.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:Rankings should not come out until about week 6...
The only rankings that matter are first revealed after the 9th week. What's the problem?
C'mon, man. We all know that they're influenced by the previous polls - all too much as well.
SECBSH says what?!?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim