Fight Song Rank 'em

Post by Carson »

From a bugeater:

Discuss.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Fight Song Rank 'em

Post by Left Seater »

I think Bama and the Bugeaters are way too high and maybe shouldn't be included at all. On Wisconsin belongs in here somewhere. Then again, maybe not since their band wears cleats when they march. Glad to see that ND was left off this list. That song is overdone by every Catholic HS in the country. Of course no list is complete without Louie Louie.

Granted it isn't their fight song, but that war chant or chop thing when the FSU band is playing it and 70K are humming or chanting along is damn intimidating.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i think Colorado has a good one....and has a strong poetic sentiment....."shoulder to shoulder we will fight fight...fight fight fight". i like that shoulder to shoulder part. I've heard valid criticisms of Boomer Sooner over the years...which is the tune from Yale's and a bit of lyric borrowing from Carolina. and it's not long on melodic complexity i admit.

it's a mashup, maybe we can just get 70 year old Fergie to do the Sooner born, Sooner bred....when i die i'll be Sooner dead part.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Really lefty, ND has one of the best ever.....that GD fucking garbage from U$C gets played 1,000,000,000 a GD game. They complete a pass, they play it. They run a play they play it, then shit their pants, they play it, then give a hand job to that GD horse they play it.........
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

A lot of these fight songs pretty much sound the same. Always liked Rocky Top though. It's catchy and discernible.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Rocky Top is fine...until you are in that stadium with 100k toothless inbreds...and you hear it at least 100x...

then it gets a little annoying...

I am partial to -

Southern Cal
tOSU
Wisconsin
FSU War Chant

the one I hate the most...Ann Arbor College...fuck that fight song... :hfal:
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Top Five:

1. Domers
2. Wisconsin
3. Michigan
4. USC
5. FSU (Tomahawk Chop)
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I'll do an (impartial) top-2 list by major conference:

B1G
1. Michigan State (Falcone Fight)
2. N'Western (Go U Northwestern)

SEC
1. Florida (Orange and Blue)
2. Tennessee (Rockytop)

Pac-12
1. UCLA (Sons of Westwood)
2. Colorado (Fight CU)

Big XII
1. Texas (Texas Fight)
2. Kansas (I'm A Jayhawk)

ACC
1. Miami (Miami Fightsong)
2. Florida (FSU Fightsong)
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Also included below, is my list of shittiest (for lack of better words) fight songs, based on either sheer rhythmical imbalance and annoyance (of the fight song itself, not the team it embodies-- there is a difference, surprisingly enough) or just lack of musical creativity in general.

B1G
1. Penn State (Hail to the Lions) - in the sense that a fight song should be uplifting and enthusiastic, this one should probably be reserved specifically for when the team loses (a self-fulfilling result, perhaps) or when someone important at the school passes away
2a. Minnesota (Minnesota Rouser) - though considered a classic fight song, i could play this on my kids' baby piano, only about three keys required
2b. Purdue (Hail Purdue) - should modify to just one guy banging on that big drum, would be a vast improvement

SEC
1. Auburn (War Eagle) - sounds like the band is just playing impromptu, could be a different song every time and I wouldn't know it; random-sounding, completely non-memorable
2. Alabama (Tide Fight Song) - the opening sequence is completely overemphasized and overplayed (& awful), like it's being queued up for a professional wrestler upon entering the ring (Ric Flair, maybe)
3*. Any of the multiple schools that plays "Glory Glory Hallelujah" repetitively need to go back to the drawing board

Pac-12
1. Washington (Bow Down to Washington) - should be played while walking through a human-sized maze, not while watching a football game
2. California (Golden Bears Fight Song) - don't care who did it first, only care who does it better; this is basically the shittier and less emotive version of UCLA's "Sons of Westwood"

Big XII
1. Oklahoma (Boomer Sooner) - though I'll admit OU's fight song is a nice, comforting reminder that fall Saturdays are here again, I can only say that after hearing it one time (and halfway through)
2. Rest of the conference (excluding Texas & Kansas) - nothing memorable here, despite all the touchdowns scored in this league

ACC
1. Boston College (For Boston) - enough CFB tradition (even if relegated to just Doug Flutie) to warrant a little more from this school; hell, just an anti-Notre Dame fight song would be a good start
2. Notre Dame - speaking of which... oh wait, never mind, this belongs in the CBB forum (just kidding, decent fight song :) )
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Nice to see a little love in here for CU's fight song. I definitely dig the classics, like Army, USC, Michigan, ND, etc., even if I don't like the teams themselves. Fight songs are just part of what makes college football so awesome.

KC, I think the problem with "Boomer Sooner" isn't so much the song itself but the frequency with which it's played. On that note, this seems like as good a time as any to reset my New Times blog post from several years back about the most annoying college band songs:

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/th ... gs-6613526

None of the SoundCloud links appear to work anymore, but the link/shout-out to T1B at the end is still intact. 8)
"Keys, woman!"
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Laxplayer wrote:...that GD fucking garbage from U$C gets played 1,000,000,000 a GD game. They complete a pass, they play it. They run a play they play it, then shit their pants, they play it, then give a hand job to that GD horse they play it.........
This also describes FSU's war chant bullshit...I am surprised it made a couple of lists here. Their band strikes that shit up practically every 10 seconds.
Go Bucs, Gators
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Rocky Top is fine...until you are in that stadium with 100k toothless inbreds...and you hear it at least 100x...

then it gets a little annoying...
Agreed.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.