Coffee Geeks

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

mvscal
Blank

Coffee Geeks

Post by mvscal »

Any of you scaly digited knuckle shufflers into premium coffees? I just joined this service and got my first two bags yesterday.

https://www.stayroasted.com/

You specify what general type of coffee you want (light roast, dark roast etc), how much you want and how frequently you want it delivered and they will send you whatever is fresh and in season. These beans were grown on the Loma la Gloria estate on the slopes of the San Salvador volcano in El Salvador. They were roasted on Tuesday by Blue Copper Roasters in Salt Lake City and in my mail box Thursday afternoon.

I've never had coffee of this quality this fresh before. I wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make but...holy fuck balls. Smooth as silk, delicious flavor and I am fucking amped out of my gourd. I had no idea coffee could be this good and still kick like a mule. I'll never be going back.

Yeah...real gourmet shit.

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Coffee Geeks

Post by Carson »

Hold on, now.

Was it ground clockwise or counterclockwise?

This is important.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Not a geek. Lately Mrs.O has complained about the Folger's that we've used for a few years. Tried a few brands and now are using one called New England:

Get this "Breakfast Blend" at Publix, they even have a BOGO sale once in a while. I will drink about any coffee, except those goofy flavored ones like hazelnut. If MrO is happy, that's what counts.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I have an aunt who lives in WI, & she turned me on to this stuff. Not the best stuff out there, but pretty damn good for the price. Usually when I want to go upscale I'll go for:

“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote: These beans were grown on the Loma la Gloria estate on the slopes of the San Salvador volcano in El Salvador. They were roasted on Tuesday by Blue Copper Roasters in Salt Lake City and in my mail box Thursday afternoon.
Hand picked by naked 16 year old Nubians, bred and imported for this specific purpose?
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Blue Mountain coffee is also one of my favorites.
9/27/22
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Don't drink coffee at all. Further I don't understand those who add multiple cream and sugar packets. But to each their own.

I tend to drink unsweet ice tea as my morning beverage. There is a BBQ chain around town that has crap food but solid tea. On the road I will have one Diet Coke but usually can't finish it due to the sweetness.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I buy this stuff from Amazon. They have a bunch of other types besides the Kona blend, as well. Not great but decent for the price. The five lb bag lasts about four weeks.

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I have delved into the phenomenon of Cold Brew coffee and do all my own crafting in the comfort of my own home, as if it were a meth lab only replaced with coffee paraphernalia (according to my wife).

To summarize my belief, to produce great coffee-- whether it is hot, cold or espresso-- you need fresh beans (i.e. with a roast date, not an expiration date), your own grinder (and related equipment) and most importantly, a standard process to adhere to.

Taking that one step further, you also require a standard method to measure output (that is, impartial output, not your own taste buds). Personally, I use a refractometer to measure extraction yield % (hence, the name coffee geek).

I buy only fresh beans from researched (or recommended) roasters who have not reached the point of national corporate expansion. The reason being, and I'll put it quite simply-- the larger a coffee roasting company becomes, the more it is willing to hire people who don't give a shit about good coffee. Blue Bottle roasters, in my experience, is a recent example of this unfortunate trend. Starbucks, naturally, is the epitome of this fact.

At the end of the day, coffee lovers should acknowledge that the bean is indeed a fruit. Should a cup of yours taste or even look like a fruit juice, that is a good thing!

Last edited by L45B on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

FYI, a few recommendations for those of you interested, some east coast based and some west coast:

Birch
Nobletree
Devocion
Heart
Ritual
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Keurigs are a huge waste of money and plastic.

I like my coffee like I like my women: hot and black as fuck.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

L45B wrote: To summarize my belief, to produce great coffee-- whether it is hot, cold or espresso-- you need fresh beans (i.e. with a roast date, not an expiration date), your own grinder (and related equipment) and most importantly, a standard process to adhere to.
Hmm. What do you mean by "standard process"? I just weigh the beans on a digital kitchen scale before grinding them.
Taking that one step further, you also require a standard method to measure output (that is, impartial output, not your own taste buds). Personally, I use a refractometer to measure extraction yield % (hence, the name coffee geek).
Whoa. That's pretty hardcore. Good info, though, thanks.
Last edited by mvscal on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

This is my friend Lisa Nova. :)
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Keurigs are a huge waste of money and plastic.

When you get older & wiser, you'll find that convenience is paramount.
I drink 5 or so cups a week during the fall/winter/spring. A Keurig is convenient as fuck and you can serve to guests coffee without having to buy all the brewing shit that I would NEVER USE.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Papa Willie wrote:

I can imagine how someone who eats with a shovel would find time for quality preparation to be an inconvenience.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Papa Willie wrote:

It only takes perhaps 1-1.5 minutes more to go from grinding drinking.

Shit, are you becoming as hobbled as Jsc???
9/27/22
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Really, ehh, to each there own, coffee is not something that I get chubbed about.

Pre-ground Peet's, SB or other Medium-Dark Roast from the grocery store is just fine for my morning pick-me-up. Hell, when the wife is gone on business I have been known to brew a full pot on a Monday morning and leave it for the week, just fire up a cup in the microwave every morning Tue - Fri. Isn't that one of the purposes of a microwave?

Maybe some of you might be interested in Kopi Luwak, my wife told me about having it at some place in the UK a few months back. I asked her what the fuck was she thinking. She said it was really good. :meds:
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

Starbucks is utterly shit coffee. It always tastes burnt.
My father-in-law brought some Ecuadorian Columbian beans back with him from a trip where he helped build a hydro-power station. I'd never had-- and never since --had coffee so good. A friend who lived in Costa Rica brought some boutique stuff to work once that came close, but it was a darker roast, which is not my preferred roast.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

88 wrote:It isn't the machine. I had it factory serviced about two months ago. It is running perfectly.
I like to keep it simple. The best thing about the chemex is that cleaning it is a breeze. Machines of any sort are basically impossible to keep totally clean after long use.

The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Go have some wine with your specially brewed coffee, FAGGOT!
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Screw_Michigan wrote:I like my coffee like I like my women: hot and black as fuck while I jerk off to them online.
Edited for accuracy.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
The Deciders
Jake

Post by The Deciders »

It is threads like this that remind us just how far removed we are from the rest of society. The Deciders would never be caught dead drinking any of the sludge mentioned here.

If it doesn't come straight from a civet's asshole, we simply won't drink it.

https://kopiluwakdirect.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Rummy and the boys were drinking lots of coffee when preparing the stand down, etc, for the New Pearl Harbor. And many a cup was drained in rushing the Patriot Act through in one night!
Before God was, I am
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Chemex! My Dad the chemist/metallurgist had one. I grabbed it when he passed away and we used it during black outs after storms. Heated the water on the BBQ grill and let the filter do its work.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

mvscal wrote:
88 wrote:It isn't the machine. I had it factory serviced about two months ago. It is running perfectly.
I like to keep it simple. The best thing about the chemex is that cleaning it is a breeze. Machines of any sort are basically impossible to keep totally clean after long use.

If one is just making themselves a single cup of coffee they don't need to use that huge thing. I don't.

https://shoponline.melitta.com/category ... erPage=all
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harper was a Coffee Geek.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Bought a press a few months back. Worked great for a few days before someone dropped something on it in the dish pan and broke it. Bought another and told the wife and CB to be careful. It lasted a a few months before a well placed plate took it out.....again. :evil:

Would like to buy another, but want to find one made of heavier glass or maybe stainless.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

smackaholic wrote:Bought a press a few months back. Worked great for a few days before someone dropped something on it in the dish pan and broke it. Bought another and told the wife and CB to be careful. It lasted a a few months before a well placed plate took it out.....again. :evil:

Would like to buy another, but want to find one made of heavier glass or maybe stainless.
Get a stainless. They are pricey, but it beats the fuck out of buying a new beaker every three months. This was the only thing from our wedding registry I gave a monkey's cumshot about.

It works great, but don't overfill it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:...in the dish pan
Must be U & R lingo but WTF is a "dish pan"?

Do you mean "sink", as in the kitchen sink?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

A dishpan is a plastic tub one commonly places inside the sink to hold dirty dishes for soaking, handwashing or smashing fragile glass gadgets such as a french press.

I thought this was a commonly used term, but apparently in parts of fly-overville, this is not the case. I suppose it is understandable as things like indoor plumbing are still a novelty is such parts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

R-Jack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Bought a press a few months back. Worked great for a few days before someone dropped something on it in the dish pan and broke it. Bought another and told the wife and CB to be careful. It lasted a a few months before a well placed plate took it out.....again. :evil:

Get a stainless. They are pricey, but it beats the fuck out of buying a new beaker every three months. This was the only thing from our wedding registry I gave a monkey's cumshot about.

That thing is sweet. Where did you get it? I will look on Amazon as, well, it is fukking Amazon and carries everything ever made.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

See some on Amazon with insulated double walls. Probably give that a shot.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:A dishpan is a plastic tub one commonly places inside the sink to hold dirty dishes for soaking....
Oh, I see. You put a sink inside a sink whereas we flyover bumpkins have these things caller "stoppers" to keep the water from leaking out. They usually work, too.

I suppose your brilliant sink inside a sink contraption works well for other households chores as well... they could also serve as cat litter boxes or laundry baskets. The possibilities are endless! I bet you own at least two!
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

smackaholic wrote:
R-Jack wrote:

That thing is sweet. Where did you get it? I will look on Amazon as, well, it is fukking Amazon and carries everything ever made.
You must get your commas at Costco.
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Diego in Seattle wrote:If one is just making themselves a single cup of coffee they don't need to use that huge thing. I don't.

Fortunately I'm not a lonesome child molester and am making coffee for more than one.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

mvscal wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:If one is just making themselves a single cup of coffee they don't need to use that huge thing. I don't.

Fortunately I'm not a lonesome child molester and am making coffee for more than one.
I'm someone who has lived with a woman who drank tea instead of coffee. And she didn't beat me if I didn't cook for her. Or ever for that matter.
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:
smackaholic wrote:A dishpan is a plastic tub one commonly places inside the sink to hold dirty dishes for soaking....
Oh, I see. You put a sink inside a sink whereas we flyover bumpkins have these things caller "stoppers" to keep the water from leaking out. They usually work, too.

I suppose your brilliant sink inside a sink contraption works well for other households chores as well... they could also serve as cat litter boxes or laundry baskets. The possibilities are endless! I bet you own at least two!
The one thing inside my shanty that is new and rather nice is the sink. And the currenty popular way to make sink seems to be the single large sink. And seeing as I pay for hot water, I would rather use a gallon or two of it to soak a few plates than 10 gallons which is likely what it would take to do it using my outer sink.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
mvscal wrote:

I'm someone who has lived with a woman who drank tea instead of coffee. And she didn't beat me if I didn't cook for her. Or ever for that matter.
But judging from the tense of the statement, she did leave. Musta graduated from jr high.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Diego in Seattle wrote:Blue Mountain coffee is also one of my favorites.
Most overrated overpriced coffee ever. And I drank it as fresh as it gets, in Jamaica.

We have a number of local roasters who do fair trade coffee. Never had anything bad that came from Sumatra.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

And Kuerigs make shit coffee. Perfect for lazy fucks with no taste whatsoever.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim