Re: Rose Bowl

Post by Mikey »

So far so good.

McMaffrey with 140 in TO after 6 min.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Still early. These things often have a way of evening out over the whole game.
Stanford needs to start burning some clock though.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Stanford is losing the Time of Possession game.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Big10 showing their clout against the big dogs.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Easy to see why McCaffrey didn't win the Heisman.... :doh:
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The Seer wrote:Easy to see why McCaffrey didn't win the Heisman.... :doh:
Return yards don't count.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Mikey wrote:
The Seer wrote:Easy to see why McCaffrey didn't win the Heisman.... :doh:
yards don't count.
FTFY@NC
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Have seriously not seen Stanford get so much pressure on any QB this season.

"Party in the backfield" was two years ago.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Whole bunch of coverage sacks actually.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Brent Musberger sounds like Marcus Allen on steroids.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Finally got to see how a real defense would shut Stanford down.

Have to rack Iowa though for playing with class and not just shutting down.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Congrats to Stanford and Mikey for the win. Embarrassing loss but the Hawks were beaten by the better team....no doubt about that. Stanford controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and Iowa had no answer for McCaffrey. He's an outstanding young player and I'm not sure how he didn't take home the Heisman. Mikey will have fun watching him for two more years, and so will everyone else unless you're lined up on defense against him. Great job by the Cardinal.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Papa Willie wrote:This ain't so good. You're gonna have to give mouth to mouth to Mace here in a few minutes.
I'd rather die than have you give me mouth to mouth, Spray. :)
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

You're right, Spray, Iowa didn't show up today.....and Stanford had a whole lot to do with that.

And, btw, I don't want Mikey giving me mouth to mouth either.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ah but Mace, you got such a purrrty mouth.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mikey wrote:Ah but Mace, you got such a purrrty mouth.
Flattery will not get you anywhere, Mikey, but gotta rack any Deliverance reference.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Was really hoping Iowa would win this one... but, of course, I'm a B1Gbsh and hoped Sparty would end up in the title game. Sucks to know that, after this bowl season, the whole SECBSH crowd and eSECpn are rubbing themselves raw jerking to it. Oh well... at least the Buckeyes, Nebraska and Michigan represented. Props to the wolverines for stomping an SEC team.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I hate conference talk and I hate the idea of using a small sample as the true judge of conference strength. I did find it odd that these grinder coaches like Dantonio and Ferentz and Fitzgerald got housed. Dantonio was in a true stakes game and his team gets shutout. I'd point to matchups being a problem for these teams but Iowa and Michigan State were handled easily by traditional pro-style teams.

Michigan hasn't been that ruthless and dominant since the shutout streak. De'Veon Smith was running hurt the last part of the season. That was healthiest he looked in quite a while. To be fair, Florida was team I figured Michigan could wipe out with their lack of offense and they didn't look the same after Grier was suspended.

Ohio State probably was the best team in the conference when it was all said done. The play-calling in the Michigan State game was terrible. That team looked like a dominant once they figured out Barrett was their best option and Elliott was the best offensive player in the conference.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

As impressive as McCaffrey's performance was (and you have to include the rest of the offense in that), it's become almost expected from anybody who has been watching Stanford the whole year.

What really impressed was the defense from the conference with no defense. Seven sacks, one pick six and 38 rushes for 48 yards against a team that pretty much lives in the trenches.
McCaffrey was 18 for 172, BTW.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Rose Bowl gets a 7.9 tv rating. Lowest since 1983. I guess I wasn't the only one who changed the channel.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I don't watch much PAC football during the season but knew enough about Stanford to know that they play very good defense. Iowa wasn't able to slow down the pass rush and, what has been a very good offensive line all season, were totally schooled. I knew McCaffrey was a great player but didn't know how great until yesterday. I was also impressed with the downfield blocking that consistently opened lanes for McCaffrey to run, and he had the speed and awareness to find the open field. Stanford is extremely well coached and had more overall speed that Iowa. McCaffrey was the big difference but I think Stanford wins that game even if he weren't in the lineup, although he certainly adds a lot of excitement to the game.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:Rose Bowl gets a 7.9 tv rating. Lowest since 1983. I guess I wasn't the only one who changed the channel.
Nobody cares what you watched or didn't watch.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Mikey wrote:
Frank Beamer's growth wrote:Rose Bowl gets a 7.9 tv rating. Lowest since 1983. I guess I wasn't the only one who changed the channel.
Oh well now i know what Iowa and Stanford felt like....no one cared :cry:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The Rose Bowl has become as irrelevant as Nebraska football.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Screw_Michigan wrote:The Rose Bowl has become as irrelevant as Nebraska football.
True story
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'm a Rose Bowl honk, but it died with the CFP.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Screw_Michigan wrote:I'm a Rose Bowl honk, but it died with the CFP.
I love the Rose too, it's still the best bowl out there. I'm positive the rating was due to Stanford kicking the hell out of Iowa which most expected, well, outside of iowa
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:I'm a Rose Bowl honk, but it died with the CFP.
I love the Rose too, it's still the best bowl out there. I'm positive the rating was due to Stanford kicking the hell out of Iowa which most expected, well, outside of iowa

Yes, it's the "best bowl" in the traditional sense: Sunset on the Sun Gabriels, LA location, etc, but no one's tuning in anymore. The participants are also-rans. Seriously, Stanford has been there 3 of last 4 years, Iowa only made it because it flunked the Big 11 Title Game test.

Nobody cares, and that's OK. That's life. ESPN and the Rose Bowl Committee need to get a grip on reality.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'm not surprised they care more about the parade than the football game. Almost all broads love parades, not every football fan cares about college football.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The problem with the Rose Bowl is that players aren't putting roses in their mouths anymore after clinching an appearance.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:I've heard that the only reason they didn't have the Cotton and Orange bowls on 1/1, was because too many people wept about the fucking PARADE! FUCK the silly parade! Once they process the numbers of how the ratings weren't as good as they could have been for the semifinal games, and how it probably forced a lot of people to keep out of bars (on the other hand), I doubt the Rose Bowl will have much pull anymore.

Just absurd.
Completely wrong.

CFP and ESPN do not own the Rose Bowl. It's always been on January 1, except when that falls on a Sunday and then they move it to January 2, and will continue to be. Even though the ratings were way down from last year (when it was a semi-final game) they still pulled the highest rating of any of the "New Year's Six" games including the semi-finals. It was CFP's decision to put the playoff games on New Year's Eve - trying to create a new tradition or whatever. It didn't work. Even ESPN, who shelled out around $100 million for the rights, didn't have a say because it's not in the contract. CFP's decision alone and they fucked up.

There was an open day on January 2, a Saturday. Why not have the playoffs on January 2, AFTER the "other" games? It would have made a lot more sense than having them on a day when most people are doing something else, and it made the other three games pretty much an afterthought. People don't want to watch football on NYE - a lot of people were working during the day and wanting to party that night. People want to get up on January 1 and watch football.

RACK the Rose Bowl, BTW, for saying fuck you to the $$ machine, even though it turned out to be a shitty game (from some peoples' perspective). Don't fool yourself. They still have plenty of pull and will continue to do so. I didn't notice the network having to avoid any crowd shots to keep from showing hundreds of empty seats. Did you?
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Oh well now i know what Iowa and Stanford felt like....no one cared :cry:
I guess nobody cared about any of the New Years Six then. This doesn't bode well for CFP.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote: I guess nobody cared about any of the New Years Six then. This doesn't bode well for CFP.
Correct
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

The Rose Bowl has done one thing that has really helped them. They have kept the game on New Year's Day. That alone will ensure larger numbers.

After that a decent amount of the numbers they pull on tv aren't from actual fans, it is just the historical pull. My Grandmother said she watched the Rose Bowl this year. When I questioned her about it it turns out she just had the game on in the background but was doing other things. She didn't even know who was in it. (She said a Red Team which she guessed was Ohio State.) She went on to explain that she has the Rose Bowl on almost every year since my grandfather passed since it was New Year Tradition.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.