Horrific news for Baylor football

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Horrific news for Baylor football

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Big 12 mandates members play at least one Power Five team a year

The Big Ten and SEC have done it in some form or fashion. So has the ACC. Now, the Big 12 is following suit.

Early Tuesday afternoon, the Big 12 announced that, moving forward, it will require its football programs to play at least one non-conference game per season against a team from a Power Five conference (ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12, ASEC). Football independent Notre Dame would also fill that requirement.

Additionally, teams are barred from scheduling more than one FCS team per season. The conference’s release did note, however, that “[t]his new scheduling requirement does not impact existing non-conference game contracts.”

“Schedule strength is a key component in CFP Selection Committee deliberations,” commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement. “This move will strengthen the resumes for all Big 12 teams. Coupled with the nine-game full round robin Conference schedule our teams play, it will not only benefit the teams at the top of our standings each season, but will impact the overall strength of the Conference.”

Five of the conference’s 10 teams already meet that requirement through most of the next decade. West Virginia has at least one game scheduled against Power Five teams from 2016 through 2025; in six of those years (2018, 2019, 2021-24), two of the Mountaineers’ three non-conference games are against Power Fives. TCU and Texas have future Power Five games scheduled from 2016-24, while Iowa State and Kansas State have teams from the power conferences scheduled each year from 2016-23 and 2016-21, respectively.

Oklahoma is loaded up through the 2028 season with Power Fives, the lone exceptions being 2020 and 2023-24.

Then there are the likes of Kansas, with just three Power five teams on future schedules through the 2024 season, and the team that many are naming this directive after, Baylor. The Bears have scheduled four games against Power Five teams through the 2024 season; conversely, there are 12 Group of Five teams and four FCS teams over the next nine seasons on the slate. Iowa State (eight) is the only Big 12 school that has more FCS games scheduled than BU.

Oklahoma, TCU and Texas do not have any games scheduled against FCS teams for at least the next 10 years.

This season, Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma State were the only Big 12 schools that did not play a Power Five team out of conference in the regular season.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... am-a-year/
Gonna be a lot of busy phone lines at Purdue, Wake Forest, Oregon State, Vandy, etc.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Horrific news for Baylor football

Post by Left Seater »

A step in the right direction which should have been followed up with "and there will be no FCS opponents on any member school's schedule."

Granted this might have caused Baylor to leave the conference completely.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Definitely a step in the right direction, but I was hoping that the Big XXII might be requiring all of their teams to play defense, which would have an effect on more schools than just Baylor.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

schmick wrote:If you have 4 OOC games, it should be 2 power 5 teams a year.... and 0 non FBS teams
That would be ideal.

As an aside, I would like to point out that Michigan State opens up the 2016 season with Furman because Bama backed out of a home-and-home deal. They wanted to switch to a one-off at a "neutral" site like Jerrah World. Well, in the end they're getting exactly what they lobbied for, but about eight months earlier.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Was a contract actually signed? If so Bamer is writing a check in the 5 million range.

I wish more schools would sue to enforce these contracts or put the out clause at an outrageous amount. I only know of two instances where game contracts went thru the legal process, Texas as UH back in the early 2000s and FSU and West Virginia 7 years or so ago. It didn't end well for UH or WVU. In fact the UH deal set them back a bit financially.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Rumor in Central Texas is the Briles will be looking to jump ship to the SEC when the next vacancy happens. Since Incarnate Word is now a no-no for Big 12 scheduling, the SEC would allow Briles to continue to embrace a rape culture while scheduling Coastal Carolina and the Citadel.