Stanford

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Stanford

Post by Mikey »

While I'm disappointed that Stanford didn't make it into the CFP, I'm very happy with where they ended up and can't argue with the final rankings. You can talk until you're blue in the face about SOS, eight vs. nine conference games and CCG or no CCG, but the fact is that with two losses there's no way they were getting in without help from either Florida or UNC. Even then it would have been doubtful. That being said, I think I wrote a month or so ago that, as far as I'm concerned (and I think most long term fans would more or less agree) the main goals in any season are:

1) Beat Cal
2) Beat SC
3) Win the Conference Championship

Anything else is gravy.

Well, four out of three ain't bad. And the Rose Bowl is were we want to be (at least vicariously) on New Years day. Considering how last season went, and how this season started, it's been a wildly successful run.

The OL and I spent Thursday thru Saturday on a short getaway to San Francisco (where I had a meeting on Thursday morning). I was able to watch the first half of the CCG on my phone in the airport but we boarded the plane at halftime and didn't see the third quarter. Stanford had totally dominated the first half, at least statistically (McCaffrey was over 150 yards on the ground with about 2 minutes gone in the second quarter). Their inability to score, though, did not bode well. And being up only 13-3 at the half when they should have had at least 10 more was not encouraging. I don't know how many times I've seen games like these turn around completely in the second half.

When we landed it was near the beginning of the fourth quarter, with Stanford up 27-16, but SC immediately scored another TD to make it 27-22. I had no idea what had happened in the meantime to get to this point, but it seemed much too close for much confidence. As we listened to the game on Sirius on the way home from the airport, and Stanford pulled away in the fourth, things started becoming a lot clearer. SC HAD made a comeback and had taken a lead in the third quarter but Stanford had taken the momentum back. It seemed like all the play-by-play guys could talk about was what an incredible game McCaffrey was having, and that was before his two fourth quarter TDs.

Couldn't wait to get home and watch the second half on the DVR, even though I knew the outcome. What an awesome performance by McCaffrey. Heisman, or no Heisman, this kid is really a special player and the best all round back in the country. Hogan put in another almost flawless performance as well.

I would prefer to have gotten tOSU in the Rose Bowl, not sure why - maybe just seems more like old times - but Iowa is fine. This will be a great match-up. Mace, congratulations on a great season. Too bad you guys didn't make it in either, but I'm looking forward to a fun New Years Day.
Mikey

Re: Stanford

Post by Mikey »

Guess I was pretty close back in July.
Mikey wrote:Stanford is prolly ranked where they should be but I wouldn't be surprised if they move up pretty quickly. The offense was much improved over the last three games last year and they return all but one starter from that group. The receiving corps, including a group of really good TEs, is sort of under the radar right now will prove to be one of the best in the conference if not CFB. Really looking forward to Christian McCaffrey getting significant playing time.

The defense lost a lot of starters but they've been able to reload pretty successfully over that past 5 or 6 years, so I don't see too much of a drop off there. The biggest question is the DL where they lost big talent but they have one of the best strength coaches in CFB so I'm not too worried. The defensive backfield is young and unproven but very talented. LBs are one of the best groups in the country.

If the offense can pick things up, and the defense is anywhere near what they were last year, this could be a very good season.
http://theoneboard.com/board/viewtopic. ... rd#p905545
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Looking forward to the matchup, Mikey, and think it will be a great game. Congrats on making it to the Rose Bowl. Iowa had their opportunity to make the playoffs but the Rose Bowl is an awesome consolation prize.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mace wrote:Looking forward to the matchup, Mikey, and think it will be a great game. Congrats on making it to the Rose Bowl. Iowa had their opportunity to make the playoffs but the Rose Bowl is an awesome consolation prize.
B1G vs. Pac12. Pasadena. Jan 1.

This is the way it's supposed to be.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mikey wrote:[B1G vs. Pac12. Pasadena. Jan 1.

Absolutely, and with no gimmicky offenses, just some smash 'em in the mouth football. Should be a great game.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Mace wrote:
Mikey wrote:[B1G vs. Pac12. Pasadena. Jan 1.

Absolutely, and with no gimmicky offenses, just some smash 'em in the mouth football. Should be a great game.

That's the way it's supposed to be says two teams not in the playoff.

Smash mouth football? That B1G title game while entertaining because it was close wasn't great football. Open receivers and the QBs missing them by yards. Offensive play calling that was unbelievably predictable.

Props to MSU for winning the conference. And bigger props to Iowa for recruiting kids to come play there. Having now spent a ton of time in Iowa due to hockey I am impressed that they can get anyone to sign to play there. Sorry Mace.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Left Seater wrote:Smash mouth football? That B1G title game while entertaining because it was close wasn't great football. Open receivers and the QBs missing them by yards. Offensive play calling that was unbelievably predictable.
He didn't say it will be a flawless game. He said it will be smash mouth, which it most certainly will be if you know anything about Stanford and Iowa.

Besides, defense and ball control offense is still what wins championships. Wake me when a team like Baylor wins it all.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Besides, defense and ball control offense is still what wins championships. Wake me when a team like Baylor wins it all.
Florida State, Florida, Texas, OU, Miami, Auburn and others say what?

Baylor has no heart and their coach is a royal ass, poor example.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

You didn't really list any teams that would prove me wrong. Pretty much all those teams could defend and run the ball. Some just did it out of different formations.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:
Mace wrote:Looking forward to the matchup, Mikey, and think it will be a great game. Congrats on making it to the Rose Bowl. Iowa had their opportunity to make the playoffs but the Rose Bowl is an awesome consolation prize.
B1G vs. Pac12. Pasadena. Jan 1.

Please don't wear the black unis.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Left Seater wrote: Props to MSU for winning the conference. And bigger props to Iowa for recruiting kids to come play there. Having now spent a ton of time in Iowa due to hockey I am impressed that they can get anyone to sign to play there. Sorry Mace.
Hey, Lefty, you can feel free to never come back, just like I'll never spend another dollar to watch your shitty hockey team.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:While I'm disappointed that Stanford didn't make it into the CFP, I'm very happy with where they ended up and can't argue with the final rankings. You can talk until you're blue in the face about SOS, eight vs. nine conference games and CCG or no CCG, but the fact is that with two losses there's no way they were getting in without help from either Florida or UNC. Even then it would have been doubtful. That being said, I think I wrote a month or so ago that, as far as I'm concerned (and I think most long term fans would more or less agree) the main goals in any season are:

1) Beat Cal
2) Beat SC
3) Win the Conference Championship

Anything else is gravy.

Well, four out of three ain't bad. And the Rose Bowl is were we want to be (at least vicariously) on New Years day. Considering how last season went, and how this season started, it's been a wildly successful run.

The OL and I spent Thursday thru Saturday on a short getaway to San Francisco
I stopped reading at this point. And threw up a little in my mouth. You went on a little weekend getaway with the Stanford offensive line. To San Francisco. Sounds like you got plenty of "gravy".
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Mace wrote:
Left Seater wrote: Props to MSU for winning the conference. And bigger props to Iowa for recruiting kids to come play there. Having now spent a ton of time in Iowa due to hockey I am impressed that they can get anyone to sign to play there. Sorry Mace.
Hey, Lefty, you can feel free to never come back, just like I'll never spend another dollar to watch your shitty hockey team.

Can't argue with you there. They suck. When they moved from Houston it is like someone threw a switch and the sucking was instant. Playoffs were almost guaranteed in Houston and in Iowa they have been one of the worst teams in the league which they are again this season.

You shouldn't have to pay to watch that crap, so why don't I hook you up with free tickets next time you want to watch bad hockey?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:

I stopped reading at this point. And threw up a little in my mouth. You went on a little weekend getaway with the Stanford offensive line. To San Francisco. Sounds like you got plenty of "gravy".
You're really reaching for gay references this morning. What's wrong, 'Spray not posting yet?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

You're really reaching for gay references this morning. What's wrong, 'Spray not posting yet?
Don't have to reach far when Mikey's in the house. He likes it. Hey, Mikey....
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Left Seater wrote: Can't argue with you there. They suck. When they moved from Houston it is like someone threw a switch and the sucking was instant. Playoffs were almost guaranteed in Houston and in Iowa they have been one of the worst teams in the league which they are again this season.

You shouldn't have to pay to watch that crap, so why don't I hook you up with free tickets next time you want to watch bad hockey?
Just like 99% of Iowans, I never played hockey and am not a hockey fan, and could never figure out why anyone would move a hockey team to Iowa. I mean, we might be in close proximity geographically to Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin, where people actually like the sport, but I've never met a homegrown Iowan who has ever played the game or who could name more than a handful of NHL players, and I'd be one of those people.

So, thanks for the offer of free tickets to see the Iowa Wild but I've seen them play and I'm not interested in ever going back.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

He's semening again, isn't he?
Mikey's the one bragging about his getaway with large sweaty men. Hey, you would have fit right in there. Except for the part about being smart enough to get into a university.