Why did Bush just sit there?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Re: Why did Bush just sit there?

Post by poptart »

Wagon wrote:Almost 14 years later, now you've got an axe to grind?
No axe to grind, Wagon.

As I said, this topic might have been covered in here by the usual suspects, but I have scrolled most of that.

I just find this aspect of 9/11 pretty comical, so I wanted to hear takes on it.

I'm disappointed (but not at all surprised) to see folks come down along party lines regarding the behavior of Bush that morning.

I have NO doubt that if a Democrat president had shown the same inaction, the right wing in here would have crucified him -- and the left would come to his defense.

SM wrote:To shoot down the aircraft.
One can rightly question the decision to go into the classroom at all, seeing as he already knew that one plane had gone into one tower.
That was not at all a common occurance.

Might have decided he should get more information about this, seeing as it was surely a potential national security issue.

Maybe that is Monday morning QBing, but I do think it is pretty realistic.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
War Wagon wrote:What was he supposed to do in your estimation, dash into the nearest phone booth and don his Superman outfit? Make the world revolve backwards while he grounded those planes?
Don't you remember his posturing on how he insisted on returning to DC but was told it wasn't safe enough to return?

Yes, he's the original tough guy, except he was letting Cheney call the shots. Because being former defense secretary is good enough in Bush's chain of command.

Do you really roll... with the "pear boy" (mr. maggo) ?
EAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am The STATE has all the answers
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Bush claimed that he saw the first plane go into the tower.
I think he lied about that, but take him on his word.

If he watched that, he knew it was a commercial airliner.

A commerical airliner goes into the WTC, an already known terrorist target,
and he still goes on in to the classroom to sit read a stupid kids book with
little children?

Probably appropriate, In all honesty.

Sad.

LOL
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

Tedious rehash of the same bullshit.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

If V. Putin saw a commercial jet plow into a major Russian location, do you think he would just carry on about his schedule without first finding out a whole lot more about what has happened?

If someone then came up and whispered in his ear that another plane has plowed in and his country is under attack, do you think he would then just sit there with a kiddie book in his hands while a group of tots showed off their reading skills to him?

:lol: :doh:

Pull your head out of your ass.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Putin, to children: "And then the mighty Russian bear crushed Hitler and Hilary in love nest, lit them on fire, and had children with East European whores".

Chief adviser to Putin: "Vlad, two planes have hit the business buildings."

Putin: "Did it destroy them both?"

Adviser: " Both rubble".

Putin: "The Ukraine is ours!"

:meds:
What were we just talking about?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

poptart wrote:Image

Looks like the "beanpole"... from Korea just went snap...

Too Funny
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Btw, you know it is killing L TARD not to be able to reply here with his obligatory 6 or 8 links about the horrahs of the Yews.

Poor fella can't really do that.
He'll have to explain why he still doesn't have that "piece of cake" recording finished.

:lol:

:bode:
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:If V. Putin saw a commercial jet plow into a major Russian location, do you think he would just carry on about his schedule without first finding out a whole lot more about what has happened?
Yes, I do. Heads of State don't personally "find out what's happening." They have hundreds if not thousands of subordinates whose job it is to inform them of "what's happening" so that they can make informed decisions.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

mvscal wrote: Image

"what's happening"

Roach saved you from an archive.

He as well, lives in a shithole.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote: Yes, I do. Heads of State don't personally "find out what's happening." They have hundreds if not thousands of subordinates whose job it is to inform them of "what's happening" so that they can make informed decisions.
They all failed at their jobs, you fucking idiot.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
mvscal wrote: Yes, I do. Heads of State don't personally "find out what's happening." They have hundreds if not thousands of subordinates whose job it is to inform them of "what's happening" so that they can make informed decisions.
They all failed at their jobs, you fucking idiot.
That's completely beside the point, mop jockey. The topic is Bush's actions not those of his subordinates, dumbfuck.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

S_M, why are such a miserable human being?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

mvscal wrote:They have hundreds if not thousands of subordinates whose job it is to inform them of "what's happening" so that they can make informed decisions.
Yes, and one of the subordinates came up and told him that his country is under attack.

At that point, the President stops, tells the kiddies that a very serious issue has suddenly come up, and that he, being the top man, must now exit to engage on it.

Oh well...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

trev wrote:S_M, why are such a miserable human being?
miserable might be a bit harsh... "bitter" seems a better description.

'tart, however, is miserably bored, thus this abortion of a topic.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

88, mvscal, others, if it was okay for the Commander in Chief to just sit there for almost 10 minutes when informed that his country is under attack -- because there was nothing for him to do, subordinates were handling everything, etc., then let me ask you this.

:?:
Why then would they have Andy Card even go up to Bush and tell him the country is under attack?

If what you are selling is right, then they would just let him proceed with the kiddie reading to it's conclusion, and then at that point, tell him the country is under attack and that this is what we've done so far.

Bush was like most all of 'em.

An impotent front man.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

88 wrote:Is that what Andy Card said to the President? How would Andy Card know that? All he did was tell the President that another skyscraper in NYC had been hit by an airplane.
Card claims he told Bush "America is under attack."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-14861255

He also contradicts Bush's claim that he saw the first plane hit.
Of course I already knew Bush was lying about that.
The dumb jackoff.

Card told (he says) Bush the country is under attack -- and Bush sat on his ass for close to 10 minutes.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

88 wrote:But it is an undeniable truth that if you had George Fucking Washington, Thomas Fucking Jefferson, Abraham Fucking Lincoln, Theodore Fucking Roosevelt, William Fucking Clinton, Barack Fucking Obama and every other president in that classroom in Sarasota at that time, and you were able to yank their asses out of story time immediately and ordered them to make some fucking decisions, nothing different would have occurred. The die was cast.
I've never claimed we would necessarily see a different result if Bush had gone into action.

I've simply pointed out how INCREDIBLY laffable it is for the Commander in Chief to have a trusted aide come up and tell him his country is under attack -- and then for the CiC to continue to sit there with a kiddie book in his hands while just-post-diaper-wetters read to him.

People under attack (which he knew to be the case) were DYING in that moment.

Whether you can do anything or not, you get UP and you see what's going on.

You're the friggin' chief.

Wtf is wrong with people?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

NORAD (and other agencies) knew well before Bush entered the classroom that 3 commercial airliners were hijacked -- and it was known by them, also, that one of them was used to go into the first WTC tower, before the President went into the classroom.

President Bush was the only person with authorization to order a commercial airliner shot down.
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jun/18 ... a-cheney18

So when Card walked up and told him of the 2nd plane hit, Bush surely had to consider (or he should have) that he might need to place an order to have a plane shot down.
Or who knows what else the President might need to do in those important minutes.

Not to mention that Bush was the guy with authority over the nuclear football.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_football

We're talking about a situation where minutes, even seconds, could potentially make the difference between life and death -- and maybe on a massive scale.

Well, the Jew in the back of the room told him to sit and be quiet, so he followed his master.

:wink:
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

poptart wrote:Not to mention that Bush was the guy with authority over the nuclear football.
I guess he should have had that next to him instead of delegated to an aid?

Precious seconds and millions of lives could have been lost...

Michael Moore has already milked Sitting Bush for all it's worth, which is very little.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

poptart wrote:President Bush was the only person with authorization to order a commercial airliner shot down.
And herein lies the problem with a federal government in general.

We have this ginormous federal machine packed full of millions of people who need to fill out a special request chit in triplicate to get anything done.

Every last person in this leviathan's number one job is to stay in said job. One does this by covering one's ass and following the rules.

I wonder if this rule concerning shooting down airliners has been modified?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I don't think it has, but for this thread, it's beside the point.

Point is, after Card told Bush that now a second plane had gone into the Trade Center, and that the country was under attack, Bush certainly should have wondered if then there were more planes up in the air waiting to do damage.

And he was aware that HE was the only guy in America with authority to order a shoot down.

So...

"My first reaction was anger. Who the hell would do that to America? Then I
immediately focused on the children
, and the contrast between the attack
and the innocence of children?"

He said he realized a lot of people beyond that classroom would be watching
for his reaction.

"So I made the decision not to jump up immediately and leave the classroom.
I didn’t want to rattle the kids. I wanted to project a sense of calm,' he said.
"I had been in enough crises to know that the first thing a leader has to do is
to project calm.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tacks.html

He said it was his decision to sit.
Didn't want to "rattle the kids."

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dumbest motherfucker ever elected president. Couldn't even finish a coup to become MLB commish.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

He knew there was an aviation attack exercise (or whatever the fuck it was they called it) going on at the time. He knew two planes had hit buildings. It was his duty to spring into action to make sure there was no confusion between the exercise and real life. He failed.*

* this all supposes he didn't already know what was happening which is not believable in the first place.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Moving Sale wrote:It was his duty to spring into action to make sure there was no confusion between the exercise and real life.
Really? What about the officers running the exercise? What was their duty? They're just inert meat suits waiting to be told what to do by the President? Is that it?
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

poptart wrote:
He said it was his decision to sit.
Didn't want to "rattle the kids.
Because when your nation is under attack, the first thing you have to do is make sure the little girl who can't get Hubba Bubba out of her hair or the boy who pulls his finger out his nose to scratch his unwiped ass stay in a state of calm.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

The world might be coming to an end, but I happen to agree with Pastortart.

After my COS whispered into my ear what Card did, I would have excused myself to attend to some important presidential matters. After getting more information I would have come back & said more or less what Bush said, but I would have added something before leaving along the lines of "and now let's take care of business" before storming off.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

He could have made it clear to Otis et al that this was not an exercise. Is there any part of his ball sack you tards won't lick?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

My goodness. Only the President can do that? Not the SecDef or Chairman of the Joint Chiefs or the 4 star command running the exercise or any of the thousands of other commissioned officers under his command? It had to come directly from the President? Is the President the only one with decision making authority in the entire government?

Chimpy is a colossal tard and was a shit president but not because he stayed put for a few minutes on 9/11. I can't help but note that only the dumbest feebs on the forum think this was some sort of big deal.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

mvscal wrote:My goodness. Only the President can do that? Not the SecDef or Chairman of the Joint Chiefs or the 4 star command running the exercise or any of the thousands of other commissioned officers under his command? It had to come directly from the President? Is the President the only one with decision making authority in the entire government?
Other people could, and surely were doing things.

This is the top man.

When the country is under attack (and he didn't even know the extent of what that meant), what he didn't need to be doing is sitting with a group of elemenTARDry kids reading The Pet Goat.

Yet he said this was his decision.

Not knowing the extent of what "We are under attack" meant, what was the potential upside to him sitting there?

Some booger-eatin' kids didn't get... rattled? lol

Was it the worst thing ever?

No, imo, but it points out that there was something really WRONG.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

poptart wrote:...the country is under attack (and he didn't even know the extent of what that meant),
That is my point exactly. He didn't know the extent of what that meant and neither did the Secret Service or anybody else apparently. The POTUS is not an investigator or a detective or a commando superhero. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but real life isn't an action movie. It takes time to feed actionable information up the chain and, until it does, he has fuck all to do except stay out of the way.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

Diego in Seattle wrote:After my COS whispered into my ear what Card did, I would have excused myself to attend to some important presidential matters.

:lol: I am sure you would have rushed out of a room full of 2nd graders.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

^^^Talk about setting one on a tee.

I think two things can be reasonably assumed from this situation.

1. Chimpy probably should have boarded AF1 sooner than he did.
2. Had Chimpy boarded AF1 sooner than he did, the outcome would not have been impacted one way or the other.

In other words, this is all basically much ado about nothing. For Bush, you can say this was "not a good look" but that's about the extent of the consequence of his "inaction."

'tart, there has got to be something more worthwhile on your agenda. Did the news of the 9/11 attacks just make its way to S. Korea? Do you use Netscape to post here?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I heard we walked on the moon.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Do you use Netscape to post here?
Ok, that was funny.
What were we just talking about?
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

One more time for the idiots in the thread. He knew or should have known there was a drill going on. It's his duty to make sure that drill protocol was nixed. Hell even our local Barney Fifes have a drill override protocol which the sheriff is duty bound to follow. He wasn't sitting there because he didn't know what was going on. He was sitting there because he did know.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Good thing Obama turned things around in his 2 terms. Much better now.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

MS wrote:He wasn't sitting there because he didn't know what was going on. He was sitting there because he did know.
I don't rule it out.

I think it's more likely that Bush was just an "impotent front man," as I said before.

Ari Fleischer held up a sign from the back telling him not to say anything.
And Bush did follow that.

I would postulate that his --just sitting there-- is what someone wanted for the President in that moment.

Or, maybe Bush really was dumb enough to think, "America is under attack? What should I do? Well, first, I best not to "rattle" these kids. That's job #1"
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

He should have been smart enough to realize he could have been a target and by sitting around reading My Pet Goat he was needlessly exposing those children to possible attack. He's lucky AQ wasn't that smart.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown