California - up a creek

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

socal
Prepare to qualify!

California - up a creek

Post by socal »

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

Help us Mikey. Your pool is our only hope.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: California - up a creek

Post by BSmack »

At least my aunt's house in La Jolla sold before Cali went tits up. I'm sure that land will have a beautiful view of the desalination plants.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Desal is the future for growth areas like CA and Texas. The one drawback though is desal takes a large amount of electricity to work, something that CA is going to struggle with in summer.

Also, desal of brackish groundwater is cheaper and easier than using seawater. He we have huge brackish aquifers that have 1/3rd the salt content of seawater. I would think CA has similar aquifers.

The final hurdle CA will have to overcome is what to do with the hyper saline waste water. Here we currently sell it to the oil and gas industry for use in fracking. The enviro wackos in CA will bitch if this waste is put to sea.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

BSmack wrote:my aunt's house in La Jolla
Have you checked with Moving Sale to see if that's technically San Diego?
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Smackie Chan wrote:
My aunt considered herself a San Diegan. Then again, she was legally blind most of the time she lived out west.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

BSmack wrote:
Smackie Chan wrote:Have you checked with Moving Sale to see if that's technically San Diego?
My aunt considered herself a San Diegan. Then again, she was legally blind most of the time she lived out west.
Some around here consider Moving Sale legally dumb.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Technically...it is.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

socal wrote:http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la ... story.html

Help us Mikey. Your pool is our only hope.
Alarmist.

I have four 55 gallon rain barrels, so I'm good for the next couple of years at least.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Agricultural greed rears its ugly head.

The Central Valley is a desert. They can pump all the water they want into it... and it's still a desert.

And no, we're not sending you any. Years ago, they wanted to build a pipeline from the Columbia to SoCal (~1000 miles). I'm guessing the heard the laughter from the northern reaches of Oregon all the way in SoCal.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote:Technically...it is.
Thanks, Mikey, but what do YOU know? I'll wait to render my verdict until after I hear back from the authority. Until then, the jury is still out.

Tom Waits
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Smackie wrote:Some around here consider Moving Sale legally dumb.
IN
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You mean it's a bad idea to have 40 million people live in a desert? I am including lost wages and phoenix for this guestimate.

I wonder how much of this is actual drought and how much is the simple fact that there are too fukking many people, half of whom have cement ponds, living out there. Is lake mead empty because of drought or is it empty because they have sucked it dry?

I suspect that sooner or later, most likely sooner, the feds will but in and tell the U&Lers that they need to just hand over their "fair share" of aqua to those thirsty southerners. It's not like they can get it from the lower canadians as they have already used up every drop of the colorado that used to run into mexico.

Hey, I have an idea. Lets bring another 10-20 million brown folks in. It's not like they use indoor plumbing or swimming pools anyway.

Kind of surprised we haven't seen AGW blamed in that article. I suspect it may be because a warm pacific would result in more rain. Cali is a desert and Florida gets daily thunderstorms because one has a cold ocean and the other a warm one.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Californians... always find it comical when our slowcals (Northern Mexicans) cry.

It brings tears to our eyes.

We Can't Stop Laughing !

They're simply too stupid to realize that if you live in a desert... there is a good chance that you may not have water... snot coming out of my nose.
EAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am The STATE has all the answers
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

88 wrote:Californian's are fucking up the environment of California and should be forced to become Oklahoman's, again.

Good god... I'm surrounded by idiots !

Psst... a majority of Californians... have Irish ancestry.

The slowcals are spics (sup, mvsniqqer, and Okie's (sup, Inland Empire. Fresno, Bakersneck, and 50 year old cross dressers)

There is a very good reason why the state capitol is in California (Sacramento)... and not in "upper Mexico".

Like I said... "I'm surrounded by idiots" on this board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You'll be laughing out the other side of your mouth, if you can pull the balck cock out for a moment, when the slowcals steal what's left of your water. In case you didn't get the memo, they are the same state and have 80% of the population. That equals political power. It doesn't fukking matter where the capitol building sits.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

There's a metric shit ton of dumbfuckery in this thread and this country.

A. No, Dumbfuck #1, the central valley is not a desert not even at its semi-arid southern terminus. It's 22.5 thousand square miles of the most productive soil on planet earth with a year round growing season. It supplies one third of the produce consumed in this country. If you think this is just some isolated, regional issue you can sneer at, you better pull your fucking head out of your ass.

B. Dumbfuck #2, it is a drought and a pretty fucking serious one with national and even international implications. It has nothing to do with Mikey's swimming pool. Residential water usage is literally a drop in the bucket compared to agricultural usage.

C. Dumbfuck #3, desalination plants aren't the answer. You can't irrigate the fucking central valley with desal plants nor does the electrical infrastructure necessary to provide even residential consumption exist.

D. Upperleft Dumbfuck, yes, you are going to supply water and it is in your economic interest do so. If you're too fucking stupid to figure that out, you had best step aside and let people without mush in their skulls do the heavy thinking for you.

E. Midwest Dumbfuck, you know maybe it might be a good idea to grow a little something other than corn and soybeans.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Desal is the answer for most residential users. You said yourself that residential use is a drop in the bucket.

Desal is scalable and can quickly ramp up or down water production based on need. Yes electricity is an issue, but it is already an issue for CA.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:No, Dumbfuck #1, the central valley is not a desert not even at its semi-arid southern terminus.

It's my understanding that the Central Valley averages around 6-11" of annual precipitation. Might I suggest that you crack a fucking dictionary before calling anyone "dumbfuck"? TIA.

And no, the U&L is never going to supply water to California, beyond what they already do -- which is in constant litigation. The Klamath Basin was arid to begin with, and pumping it dry was an idea that just didn't work out.

Beyond the silliness that appears on the surface of the idea, the logistics make it ludicrous. Southern Oregon doesn't have any water, and is extremely drought-prone. The only place that would sustain it would be the Columbia, and how anyone would plan on building a pipeline through 1000 miles of some of the toughest terrain the country has to offer, through earthquake and tsunami zones is pretty much beyond reason.

But if someone did enact such a stupid plan, you'd see a more serious movement to secede than anything Dixie tried to do.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

mvscal wrote: the central valley is not a desert

I laughed... because you're a fucking idiot.

Too funny.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Smackie Chan wrote:Thanks, Mikey, but what do YOU know? I'll wait to render my verdict until after I hear back from the authority. Until then, the jury is still out.
These guys?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Dinsdale wrote: And no, the U&L is never going to supply water to California, beyond what they already do -- which is in constant litigation. The Klamath Basin was arid to begin with, and pumping it dry was an idea that just didn't work out.

Beyond the silliness that appears on the surface of the idea, the logistics make it ludicrous. Southern Oregon doesn't have any water, and is extremely drought-prone. The only place that would sustain it would be the Columbia, and how anyone would plan on building a pipeline through 1000 miles of some of the toughest terrain the country has to offer, through earthquake and tsunami zones is pretty much beyond reason.

But if someone did enact such a stupid plan, you'd see a more serious movement to secede than anything Dixie tried to do.

Dins,

If the Columbia basin has excess supply, why not sell the additional acre feet to CA?

Pretty easy to write a contract that puts all the burden on them. Once it goes thru the meter at the source point, CA owes you the money regardless if it reaches the end point or not.

Let them figure out the delivery method and pay for it as well. And in times of drought in Oregon you don't sell them squat.

Sounds like a win win for the U&L.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I can't see that happening, ever.

What is "excess water"?

Sure, the Columbia discharges about 170 billion gallons a day, depending on the time of year. But what environmental impact would taking water from it have? The lower portions are brackish, and anything above Bonneville would be out of the question, since that's where our electricity comes from. That's a whole shitload of mountains to climb. Range after range of huge mountains, from the Upper Willamette Valley clear through to California. And the first 150 miles would have to run through primo agricultural land. And what impact would it have on commercial shipping?

Wayyyy too many problems with the scenario. And we've seen how they done the Colorado... no thanks.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Most or all of the Central Valley would probably be classified as dry steppe.

Technically, not desert.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Mikey wrote:Most or all of the Central Valley would probably be classified as dry steppe.

Technically, not desert.

Wrong.

2/3 of California is desert.

Guess which part you live in ?
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Oh yeah,

Northern Mexico (slowcal).. is "technically" a shithole.

As far as water being a problem in California... the North Bay/San Francisco ???

We're damn near overflowing with 100% capacity...

... and 10% over normal during this time of year.

http://www.marinwater.org/300/Water-Watch

That's why we have these...

In our backyard...

the truth
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Papa Willie wrote:Fucks aren't given.

Sure they are.

It's what you call... Friday night.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

The State wrote:
Mikey wrote:Most or all of the Central Valley would probably be classified as dry steppe.

Technically, not desert.

Wrong.
The northern Central Valley has a hot Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa); the more southerly parts in rainshadow zones are dry enough to be Mediterranean steppe (BShs, as around Fresno) or even low-latitude desert (BWh, as in areas around Bakersfield). It is hot and dry during the summer and cool and damp in winter, when frequent ground fog known regionally as "tule fog" can obscure vision. Summer daytime temperatures approach 100 °F (38 °C), and common heat waves might bring temperatures exceeding 115 °F (46 °C). Mid-autumn to mid-spring comprises the rainy season — although during the late summer, southeasterly winds aloft can bring thunderstorms of tropical origin, mainly in the southern half of the San Joaquin Valley but occasionally to the Sacramento Valley. The northern half of the Central Valley receives greater precipitation than the semidesert southern half. Frost occurs at times in the fall months, but snow will occur occasionally.[9]

Mstool wrote: 2/3 of California is desert.
Link?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

mvscal wrote:
The State wrote:

Technically, not desert.

Wrong.
The northern Central Valley has a hot Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa); the more southerly parts in rainshadow zones are dry enough to be Mediterranean steppe (BShs, as around Fresno) or even low-latitude desert (BWh, as in areas around Bakersfield). It is hot and dry during the summer and cool and damp in winter, when frequent ground fog known regionally as "tule fog" can obscure vision. Summer daytime temperatures approach 100 °F (38 °C), and common heat waves might bring temperatures exceeding 115 °F (46 °C). Mid-autumn to mid-spring comprises the rainy season — although during the late summer, southeasterly winds aloft can bring thunderstorms of tropical origin, mainly in the southern half of the San Joaquin Valley but occasionally to the Sacramento Valley. The northern half of the Central Valley receives greater precipitation than the semidesert southern half. Frost occurs at times in the fall months, but snow will occur occasionally.[9]

Mstool wrote: 2/3 of California is desert.
Link?

Good god... "the beaner" is a fucking idiot !

The "grease spot"... just went Wiki... for his evidence !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Va ... ifornia%29

Too funny...
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

We're still waiting for yours. Any day, Melton.

You cheer for a school you never attended and post pictures you didn't take of places you've never been in a state you know nothing about.

Too pathetic...
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The State wrote:The "grease spot"... just went Wiki... for his evidence !
Too advanced? Perhaps easier to comprehend if written to a lower grade level...

Tom Waits
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The State wrote:

Technically, not desert.

Wrong.

2/3 of California is desert.

Guess which part you live in ?

Gee, Milton, if it seems hot and dry to you it must be a desert. After all isn't that just what a desert is?

Could you possibly be any more stupid and/or ignorant?

http://www.fs.fed.us/land/ecosysmgmt/co ... s/262.html
262 California Dry Steppe Province

Central Valley of California, 19,200 mi2 (47,900 km2)

Land-surface form.--This province lies within the Central Valley of California--a flat alluvial plain between the Sierra Nevada and the Coast Ranges. Elevations range from sea level to 500 ft (150 m). This area has broad, nearly level valleys bordered by sloping alluvial fans, slightly dissected terraces and the lower foothills of the surrounding uplands. Large undrained basins lie in the south.

Climate.--Annual temperatures in this climate average 60 to 67F (16 to 19C), but can fall as low as 55F (13C) in the south. Precipitation is largely limited to winter rainfall, which peaks in December, January, and February. Except near the coast, summers are hot and the winters mild--often foggy, with little or no snow. Annual rainfall ranges from approximately 6 in (150 mm) in the upper San Joaquin Valley to nearly 30 in (760 mm) along the coast. Potential evaporation during the warmest months is often much greater than the precipitation. Low rainfall and small streamflow result in water scarcity in many areas.

Vegetation.--Evidence indicates that the Central Valley of California was once dominated by natural grasses that the plow, fire, and grazing have eliminated except in a few remaining stands. These stands suggest that the dominants were bunch grasses on lands similar in appearance to mixed prairie. Apparently, needlegrass was the principal species except near the coast. Today, introduced annual grasses, including various species of avens, brome, fescue, and barley, occupy most of the remaining grassland areas.

The rivers flow through alkaline flats where greasewood, picklewood, salt grass, and shadscale provide the chief cover. Tule marshes border the lower reaches of the San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers.

Soils.--The soils of this region are mostly Entisols and Alfisols. The Entisols are usually at the lower elevations and the Alfisols at slightly higher elevations, away from the valley floor. A small area of Aridisols occurs in the more arid southern portions of the San Joaquin Valley.

Fauna.--Intensive agricultural development has changed the fauna of the annual grasslands. Larger species, such as the California grizzly bear, wolf, and pronghorn antelope, have been eliminated or pushed up into the hills. Common mammals include the Beechy ground squirrel, cottontail, blacktail jackrabbit, California mouse, and kangaroo rats. Several subspecies of mule deer live in brushy areas. Other species, such as the coyote and bobcat, live in adjacent woodlands, occasionally entering from them. The San Joaquin kit fox is classified as an endangered species.

Common birds include the mourning dove, horned lark, western meadowlark, western kingbird, mockingbird, loggerhead shrike, house finch, lesser goldfinch, red-shafted flicker, and scrub jay. The roadrunner feeds on reptiles and insects. The California quail is numerous in areas where brush or rock outcrops provide cover. Avian predators include the golden eagle, red-tailed hawk, and Cooper's hawk.

Several species of snakes and lizards are present; rattlesnakes are important predators on rodents.

BTW...

Even your buddies in Berserkley say you're wrong.

2/3 dessert? Never were too good a math, were you?

The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

mvscal wrote:We're still waiting for yours. Any day, Melton.

You cheer for a school you never attended and post pictures you didn't take of places you've never been in a state you know nothing about.

Too pathetic...

Wow... you just edited your post in the last 10 seconds... to add... "that I don't live, didn't attend, and have never been in the state of California" ???

Too funny.

To answer your original question... as to my evidence for the central valley being a desert...

This is why I am... the truth

... and you mow lawns in Nebraska.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yep. Looks hot and dry...must be a desert.

Nice pics. You're still a moron.

The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Mikey wrote:Yep. Looks hot and dry...must be a desert.

Nice pics. You're still a moron.

Good god... you're an idiot.

Unreal.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The State wrote:

Unreal.
White flag much?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Proof...that San Francisco is a desert.

The Truth
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Mikey wrote:
The State wrote:

Unreal.
White flag much?

No.

You're simply an idiot.

I don't need to see what the temperature variations of California are... I live here... shit for brains.

Next thing you'll be telling me... is Palm Springs isn't in the desert... because it's not as hot as Death Valley.

Get on the treadmill, fatboy.

You're starting to make people in Riverside... look skinny.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Here's an aerial shot of the Mendocino desert. Looks pretty damn dry.

The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Mikey wrote:Here's an aerial shot of the Mendocino desert. Looks pretty damn dry.

You're starting to get angry, tubby.

Let me show you some better pictures of our desert (Mendocino) here just north of San Francisco.

Yep, just suffering up here due to lack of water on the North Coast of California.

Maybe you missed my post... where I provided documentation about how much water we have up here ?

Our reservoirs are at 100% capacity and 10% above normal.

How's the water situation down in the desert where you live ???

Too funny.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

The State wrote:
Our reservoirs are at 100% capacity and 10% above normal.

No, they aren't.

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2014/12/15/its ... voirs-look