Hey Lefty - Another officiating thread

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Hey Lefty - Another officiating thread

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Do any of the officials on the field have to keep a rule book handy in case of a question or enforcement issue?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Hey Lefty - Another officiating thread

Post by Left Seater »

No, none of the officials have a rule book in their back pocket. At the college level with 7 or 8 officials on the field and another alternate on the sidelines, they should have the whole book covered.

At half time we will often open the rule book to confirm our thinking on certain plays or situations. Most of us have the rule book on an iPad or other tablet type device anyway.

Why do you ask?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:No, none of the officials have a rule book in their back pocket. At the college level with 7 or 8 officials on the field and another alternate on the sidelines, they should have the whole book covered.

At half time we will often open the rule book to confirm our thinking on certain plays or situations. Most of us have the rule book on an iPad or other tablet type device anyway.

Why do you ask?
OKC Douglass had an after the touchdown penalty that should have been assessed on the kickoff and instead allowed Locust Grove to run out the clock and win. The OSSHSA appologized for it after the fact. Second year in a row something fishy has happened to Douglass in the playoffs.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Oklahoma HS football uses National Federation rules which I know very little about. Much closer to pop Warner rules than NCAA.

For example, in NF rules if the defense jumps offsides the officials blow their whistle and mark off the 5 yards. The offense is denied the opportunity to run a play.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:Oklahoma HS football uses National Federation rules which I know very little about. Much closer to pop Warner rules than NCAA.

For example, in NF rules if the defense jumps offsides the officials blow their whistle and mark off the 5 yards. The offense is denied the opportunity to run a play.
I recalled such. I remember you telling us about it many years ago and how Texas HS is closest to CFB rules. It was when you were encouraging some of us to become officials. I ended up becoming and umpire for few years and then coaching youth football instead for a few more years. Didn't someone else on the board start officiating football?

Humble brag on myself: I've been in our local fish wrap a couple times over the years for coaching. This is my first year not coaching youth football in the last eight and only because they moved one of the game days to Saturday. I was willing to surrender every other day of the week but not that. Sorry I have OU, my wife I's second business, and our family. But in the previous seven I coached league in both our city's league divisions and the traveling team (it's just two tournaments at the end of the season). Won the city juniors title five out of seven years and county twice. Won the city Seniors division four times and the county twice.

In the Tyler Haughen Classic there are three divisions.In seven years won the Pee Wee twice, JV twice, and Varsity three times; never finished lower than third. At Gulf Coast Grid Iron it's a larger field. Won the Pee Wee once, JV finished second four times but never won it ( :( ), Varsity we have one twice.

The coach at Choctaw said one of the biggest factors turning around their program so fast the last three years was the coaching in the youth system in the city. He's been trying to get the junior high coaches replaced the last few years as well. They're a big part of the problem. The kids in our community get better coaching by playing in the small city youth league than they do at school but we can only offer half the amount of practice and half the number of actual league games, not everyone can be on the traveling team at the end of the season.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
I recalled such. I remember you telling us about it many years ago and how Texas HS is closest to CFB rules. It was when you were encouraging some of us to become officials. I ended up becoming and umpire for few years and then coaching youth football instead for a few more years. Didn't someone else on the board start officiating football?
Actually Massachusetts is the closest to the NCAA rules and Texas is a close second. They are the only two states that use the NCAA rule book for HS football. Both have several modifications that modify certain parts of the NCAA book, like replay, and where you kick off from, etc.

I have heard a bit more over the last 24 hours about the OKC Douglass situation. Bad, bad situation, but I don't think you can go back and fix it now. It happened and it sucks, but if you allow that to be replayed etc, what about the error made in Douglass' favor in the previous round in the 2nd quarter?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:
Actually Massachusetts is the closest to the NCAA rules and Texas is a close second. They are the only two states that use the NCAA rule book for HS football. Both have several modifications that modify certain parts of the NCAA book, like replay, and where you kick off from, etc.

I have heard a bit more over the last 24 hours about the OKC Douglass situation. Bad, bad situation, but I don't think you can go back and fix it now. It happened and it sucks, but if you allow that to be replayed etc, what about the error made in Douglass' favor in the previous round in the 2nd quarter?
I understand why you don't go back and replay it. I just wasn't sure about the rule book. When you're behind the plate in baseball you are required to keep the rule book as the umpire and chief.

Douglas is one of the State's most heavily majority African-American schools in the state and a lot of questionable things have happened to them over the years in the playoffs.