Pick 'em suggestion

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Pick 'em suggestion

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

As always, any post suggesting a potential change/improvement to the pick 'em game should be preceded by a big "thank you" to 88, L45B and Lefty for the hard work they put into it week in and week out.

With that out of the way, I was wondering how big of a pain in the ass it would be to list the games chronologically by start time (with the obvious exception of the "must pick" game, which is always at the top).

To the pick 'em crew: would this be a huge pain in the ass to implement?

To the weekly players: is this something you guys would like to see, too? Or do you like it as is, where it seems to be sorted by conference?
"Keys, woman!"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Pick 'em suggestion

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I sort of like the idea of everyone having to do their own research (if anybody even cares to). Prime time vs noon game is a big deal in the point spread world. But I wouldn't complain over this change.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I like how it's grouped by conference. I'm more familiar with that at this point. I do like to look at ESPN's score page where it's sorted by start times and they also have lines and totals included but you can easily find them in our slate of games.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Basically what 88 said, probably a huge pain in the ass-- mostly on his end.

The current system does not have a field for kickoff date/time. I have a pretty quick way to import every team's schedule, using other online sources and some ms excel trickery. But I do that back in August before the pick'em begins and, as 88 mentioned, when most game times are still TBD.

I would need to add said time entry field and an auto-sort function, which wouldn't be terribly difficult if I had some free time of my own (not as much this time of year). But I imagine the extra burden on 88 would be pretty hefty, given he is already looking up / posting all the lines & scores in the spreadsheet and making everything transparent here as well.

Due to the system being a few years beyond its useful life, it doesn't even handle a typical week's game count (due to the gradual increase of FBS teams over the years) much less additional nice-to-have features like this one.

Mods-- anything left in the T1B consulting budget for this year? :)
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

88, I am happy to add additional help as required. Since I don't participate due to the college ref thing I am happy to help.

Let me know.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Make absolutely no difference to me as I just pick games on whim.
socal
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

88 wrote:I'm fairly sure the consulting budget has already been spent on hookers and blow. But if you let me know how much a consultant might cost, I could probably Kick Start a few ducats your way...
:lol:

No worries, 88.

My suggestion is for the short term (rest of this season), if you are willing, to do this the manual way as you just did for Week 12. Once the season is done, I will have a little more time to make any improvements necessary on the file.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Thanks for putting in the extra time this week, 88. I'm definitely a fan of the new look, but not if it comes at the expense of even more of your free time. I was just throwing a suggestion out there. I'll play every week regardless.
"Keys, woman!"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I, too, would like to make a suggestion.

How about the guy that does so much work to put this thing together for our collective enjoyment gets an entry into the Bowl Round, regardless if he wins a week or not?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one