I have a really really stupid question

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

I have a really really stupid question

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

In the balls and strikes stats, if a batter gets a hit, does that count as a strike or a ball in the pitcher's stats?

To some it may be the most stupid question ever, but to others, I bet they never even thought about it.
What were we just talking about?
Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Re: I have a really really stupid question

Post by Moby Dick »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:In the balls and strikes stats, if a batter gets a hit, does that count as a strike or a ball in the pitcher's stats?

To some it may be the most stupid question ever, but to others, I bet they never even thought about it.
steeerike.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Moby Dick wrote:
Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:In the balls and strikes stats, if a batter gets a hit, does that count as a strike or a ball in the pitcher's stats?

steeerike.
Yep. Even if the ball bounces in front of the plate.

Sin-
Vald "never saw a pitch he didn't like" G.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

With a question like that I think you should just focus in on the number of balls striking your chin.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

atomicdad wrote:With a question like that I think you should just focus in on the number of balls striking your chin.
Possibly the worst "gay smack" piece of stupidity ever posted.

MAN! that was freaking retarded.

Maybe if I post a question about the infield fly rule, you could break out with a "YOU'RE A FAG!" response, which would make about as much sense as the above.

Never posted to, or been posted from you before, and now I know why.

You must be a big hit with remedial 3rd graders.

Jackass.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Anyway..............................

It seems strange to counted in a "plus/positive" stat for the pitcher, seeings how balls are "bad", and strikes are "good". It would make more sense to have a new category labled "hits", to go along with balls and strikes.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Anyway..............................

It seems strange to counted in a "plus/positive" stat for the pitcher, seeings how balls are "bad", and strikes are "good". It would make more sense to have a new category labled "hits", to go along with balls and strikes.
I think the understanding is that if a player swings.. its a strike if he misses so it should be a strike if he hits it..

Go to MLB.com.. filter a search for pitching stats for all mlb pitchers and you'll see a stat for hits.. (ie hits allowed).

Baseball uses a relatively new stat WHIP (walks/hits per innings pitched). This is a good measure of how well a pitcher is doing in regards to hits allowed.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:It would make more sense to have a new category labled "hits", to go along with balls and strikes.
On the bright side, the original question doesn't sound nearly as fucking stupid by comparison.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Sensitive Much Roger? Grow a pair.

You ask a stupid question and i'll give you a wise-ass crack back.

A strike is a strike and a ball is a ball and a hit is hit. If you were concerned about the pitch count they give you during a broadcast saying a pitcher has thrown "Z" pitches, with "X" strikes, and "Y" balls. Yes the hit counts as a strike in this tabulation but it is subjective unofficial stat. As was brought up previously with the Vladi reference.

As far as never posting towards you, the last time I saw you on the boards I frequented all you posted were pictures of landscape shrubery. Not much to respond to there.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Dinsdale wrote:
Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:It would make more sense to have a new category labled "hits", to go along with balls and strikes.
On the bright side, the original question doesn't sound nearly as fucking stupid by comparison.
I laughed
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

rozy wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
I laughed
Re-reading it, it does sound stupid, but I stand by my logic.

Strikes for a pitcher are a positive thing, balls are negative, so why would a hit be counted on the positive side of the ledger? Thus, my question.
Yes the hit counts as a strike in this tabulation but it is subjective unofficial stat......hits are a unofficial subjective stat.
Why is it "subjective"? The calls of balls and strikes are subjective, the statistics are NOT!. And hits are 'unofficial'? Maybe in about 1 in 500 times subjective, becuase of the scorer, but, unofficial? Who sounds stupid now? Numbers are numbers. Objective. So, I disagree with you there.

I believe that "hits" should be put in the 'balls' column, as a NEGATIVE stat against the pitcher, not a positive one.

And Atomic......I was a regular poster at TNW; pics of shrubs there, not consisting of my main "content". And "gay smack" was, is and always will be the hallmark of a retard. So go screw yourself.

Just kidding.

:roll:
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

rozy wrote:
Moby Dick wrote:

steeerike.

Sin-
Isn't there something slightly...er, strike that... *extremely* queer about having a shirtless dude in your avatar.
1tnacU

Post by 1tnacU »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:I believe that "hits" should be put in the 'balls' column, as a NEGATIVE stat against the pitcher, not a positive one.
Which brings me to the next point. Why is a pitch counted as a strike when a batter fouls off a pitch with a two strike count? I mean, if it were really a strike, would he not be out? Does the song not go... "One, two, THREE strikes yer out"?? WTF??

RACK you, Tubber, for bringing this most pressing of issues to the forefront. Fuck steroids. Let's fix the balls count. I'm petitioning Elias the second I'm done typing this.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Justa Heel wrote:
rozy wrote:
Moby Dick wrote: steeerike.

Sin-
Isn't there something slightly...er, strike that... *extremely* queer about having a shirtless dude in your avatar.
No

Next question? And this time please try to keep it in the context of this forum and discussion, shit troll. TIA.

Now, read the post that will now be right above this one. That's how it's done, shit troll.
1tnacU

Post by 1tnacU »

rozy wrote:done.
How can you bring up Berkman's career at a time like this? We have ball issues.

I had Cy O going last night in one of my leagues. How 'bout Lance's futile attempt at that single/two base error and Cy's ensuing meltdown? I woulda pointed to the sky like it was a pop up too... so what if I'd just grooved a meatball... it was Easley at the plate, right?

UNWAR -- "pop-up pointing" and then watching it sail over the center field wall
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

I didn't see the game.

For that, I am thankful.

I did win this:

last night, which will be one of my nicer Roy O cards.

Anyhoo, Berk is starting slow but still looks like a real ballplayer compared to the rest of our pitiful lineup.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

So Roger-the anitgaysmackcrusader, would it be gay smack if I directed that line to a women.

Back to the hits/balls/strikes thing. If we are talking about the same idea of keeping track of the number of balls and strikes with regards to pitch count than hits are not bad. It means the pitcher is getting the ball over the plate and he is not wild. It is not a horrible thing to allow the batter to make contact, that is why he has seven fielders playing behind him.

The subjective part comes in when Vladi comes to the plate, alot of his hits come off pitches that are obviously out of the strike zone. So should that go as a ball or strike in the pitch count.

Bottom line, why give a fuck? Come on ask about the infield fly rule, i'm dying to call you a FAG. 8)
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

rozy wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:
rozy wrote: Yep. Even if the ball bounces in front of the plate.

Sin-
No
ERRR, STRIKE TWO
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

R-Jack wrote:
Justa Heel wrote:
rozy wrote: Yep. Even if the ball bounces in front of the plate.

Sin-
As opposed to some guy who stips down to colored underwear and rolls around on the floor with other guys for an hour at a time?
Is he doing that in the pic? Strike three pussy, you're all out.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

R-Jack wrote: He is not, but the feathered hair and sequined Libarche style robe doesn't really help you make your point either.

Rack. Good point.

I still think Rozy's guy with the chin out and the bare shoulders is much more homo-erotic.

Flair is a man's man and can get away with that shit.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Yeah, I must admit roger, that was pretty damn stupid.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

atomicdad wrote: hits are not bad. It means the pitcher is getting the ball over the plate and he is not wild.
Umm...MENSA........

Hits, defense-wise, are a BAD THING YOU ASS!!!!!

Man. I hope you coach a little league team, and when your pitcher gets lit up like a christmas tree, you tell him,"hits are a good thing for you".

WOW!

I've seen your logic in my kid's diaper.

According to YOUR logic, here's a call by Vin Scully:

Gagne reads the sign, a fast ball down the middle to Bonds...................WAYY WAYYYY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY BACK!!!!

GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! A 550 foot home run!!!!!!!!!

Man, Gagne really pitched that ball well with great control, right in the strike zone! What a great pitch! He should be proud about his control to put that ball in the strike zone. I bet Tracy keeps him in, and tells him to keep throwing JUST like that!

Ass.

Quit while you are behind.
Last edited by Roger_the_Shrubber on Mon May 16, 2005 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

1tnacU wrote:
Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:I believe that "hits" should be put in the 'balls' column, as a NEGATIVE stat against the pitcher, not a positive one.
Which brings me to the next point. Why is a pitch counted as a strike when a batter fouls off a pitch with a two strike count? I mean, if it were really a strike, would he not be out? Does the song not go... "One, two, THREE strikes yer out"?? WTF??

RACK you, Tubber, for bringing this most pressing of issues to the forefront. Fuck steroids. Let's fix the balls count. I'm petitioning Elias the second I'm done typing this.
To state the obvious to you, moron, the bat hit the ball "out of bounds".

Are you so mentally stunted that because of disdain for me, you make yourself into a retard?

That's a "rhetorical" question, Big word. Look it up.
Last edited by Roger_the_Shrubber on Mon May 16, 2005 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

But here's a question to you and AD, since you know the rules and are students of the game.. :roll: .....

The pitcher throws the ball to the batter, no outs, men on 1st and 2nd.

After pitching the ball, it's a triple play, without any defensive player touching the ball.

Explain how it can happen.

Really happened against Ball State in the late 80's.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Oh and to Atomic Dad, since you didn't respond to the rest of the things I said, you know they are true. You know EXACTLY who I am, what my history is,and by responding falsely, you are a rotten liar, sir.

It's just a useless BBS, true, but you lied to everyone here, and to yourself, which is the saddest part of all.
As far as never posting towards you, the last time I saw you on the boards I frequented all you posted were pictures of landscape shrubery. Not much to respond to there.
Pity.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So......the guy who said this --

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:It would make more sense to have a new category labled "hits"

Isn't reeeeealllllllly trying to run any sort of baseball knowledge, or any other form of "intelligence" smack, is he?

I didn't reeeeeealllllly just read that, did I?

Damn.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:To state the obvious to you, moron, the bat hit the ball "out of bounds".
Um... well there is the little matter about the possibility of foul balls being 'live'...

edit to add...
I've never heard anyone refer to ball/strike count as anything more than a measure of how accurate a pitcher has been over the course of a given game. Very rarely does that count make it into any discussion beyond the game in question. On the other hand, the number of hits a pitcher gives up is often referenced in later games. Just my $0.02.
1tnacU

Post by 1tnacU »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:To state the obvious to you, moron, the bat hit the ball "out of bounds".
Which brings me to my next point. Why is it... that in college football you only need one foot in, but in the pros... you need two? Also, why does one knee, or one hand, or one elbow = two feet??

Props on being able to switch gears with such ease. We are talking football now, right?

Call me...
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Oh and to Atomic Dad, since you didn't respond to the rest of the things I said, you know they are true. You know EXACTLY who I am, what my history is,and by responding falsely, you are a rotten liar, sir.

It's just a useless BBS, true, but you lied to everyone here, and to yourself, which is the saddest part of all.
What the fuck are you yammering on about?

I know EXACTLY who you are and your history, and I lied?
WTF,

I remember you used to post pictures of bushes at TNW, other than that I don't recall anything "epic" you posted from several years ago. Occasionally I see someone post a roger reset for something you posted on another board, but other than that I don't know shit about you.

So wingnut, no shit hits are a bad thing in the scheme of the game. When it comes to your question about balls and strikes as stats what are you going after? I have been refering to the in-game pitch count with respect to the pitcher either getting the ball across the plate or not. You seem to be hung up on something else.

For your Ball state question thats a good one.
I would assume for at least one out the batted ball hit one of the runners and then there was some additional interference by the other runners, but that would take some pretty stupid baserunning.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Men on first and second.

Pop fly in the infield, infield fly rule applies.Batter is out.

The man on first passes the man on 2nd, the ball hits the guy on 2nd on the head.

Actually happened. Unassisted triple play by the pitcher.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

ppanther wrote:
Um... well there is the little matter about the possibility of foul balls being 'live'...

edit to add...
I've never heard anyone refer to ball/strike count as anything more than a measure of how accurate a pitcher has been over the course of a given game. Very rarely does that count make it into any discussion beyond the game in question. On the other hand, the number of hits a pitcher gives up is often referenced in later games. Just my $0.02.
I agree with you, but then why is a "hit" counted as a strike? To a pitcher, strikes good, balls bad, true?And it's usually batting average against being the usual stat.

And foul balls are live, untill touched by a defensive player, resulting in an out or an error. Or else just a strike, duh.

BTW, I've missed you. How are you.

Dad passing away sucked, and I miss him terribly.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

What's with this "good ball" "bad ball" shit?

A strike is a pitch that is either a) in the strike zone, or b) the batter swings at it. The result of the swing does not change the fact that the pitch is a strike.

A ball is a pitch that is not in the strike zone and the batter doesn't swing at it.

No "good thing" "bad thing" involved, OK? It really is that simple.

Now fucking drop it already.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

RACK Mikey. The ball and strike count isn't even an official stat, as far as I know.

Also, a foul ball is dead if it hits the ground out of bounds, as long as it's past the bases or it stops moving altogether. A foul ball is live if it's caught until the ball is returned to the pitcher and the play is dead. Runners can tag on foul ball pop flies if they are caught...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You guys are losing sight of the real issue -- that we need a new stat called "hits."
1tnacU

Post by 1tnacU »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:BTW, I've missed you. How are you.
I really hate busting out the re-treaded replies that we've all seen a few thousand times but....

~Shudder~
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And how's Nancy and the cookie-baking business?
1tnacU

Post by 1tnacU »

RACK Dins!!! I hate seeing the ole tried and true "how's Nancy and the cookie-baking business" blast for like the first time and stuff...
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

e wrote:different question:

the royals' angel berroa was credited with an inside-the-park homerun this week after his hit was caught in centerfield, the centerfielder hit the wall and the ball came out of his glove. how is that a homerun and not an error of some sort?
Judement call by the official scorer. I saw that highlite. And agreed with the scorer that it was not an error.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

rozy wrote:
Judement call by the official scorer.
What are you, some kind of anti-semite?

Don't let Shrub see you around here if you are.
elgrandepeehole
Work Zone Ahead

Post by elgrandepeehole »

Please tell me this debate is not actually taking place....I'm away from this place for months and this is what I fricken come back to?? Jesus H. Christ Shrub, why in the name of Guy Fawkes sticking his moist tongue in Biggie's mancolon are you asking such an idiotic question??
Fuck man a fucking strike is a strike. I don't care if the motherfucker hits the fucking dugout, if the batter swings it's marked in the book as a strike... The main purpose behind cumulating this stat is basically to keep track of the pitchers pitch count. Geezzz, I can't believe I actually read this fucking thread. That's five minutes of my life I'll never get back. Thanks dickhead....