Your State's Highest Paid Employee?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Your State's Highest Paid Employee?

Post by Wolfman »

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your ... -489635228

Was a bit surprised that Florida is a basketball coach.
Reactions?
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Your State's Highest Paid Employee?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bwah, Dick Umile, head hockey coach at the University of No Hardware ERRR University of New Hampshire.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Fucking Nevada

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Without a doubt it is now Geno Auriemma, now that Jim Calhoun is retired.

I am sure that most every state's highest paid position is a successful D1 college coach, unless the state doesn't have any D1 programs.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Interesting map, but not surprising.

Not at all a big deal here in Texas since the larger schools are making money.

I would rather see this with college coaches removed.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Bwah, Dick Umile, head hockey coach at the University of No Hardware ERRR University of New Hampshire.
UNH may not have the greatest hockey program around, but I do believe they are D1. The rest of the states programs are like about div. 8.

Ct is the only women's coach and it's prolly not even close. I guess 8 titles in under 20 years will do that. I would bet that Pat Summit was close to the Tennessee football coach's salary before she retired.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The one that is a little surprising is Florida. I know Donovan is a damn good coach, but, I would think the football program still brings in a good bit more money. Do they have a fairly new coach?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

smackaholic wrote:The one that is a little surprising is Florida. I know Donovan is a damn good coach, but, I would think the football program still brings in a good bit more money. Do they have a fairly new coach?
Yes. Will Muschamp has only been at UF for two years. Jimbo Fisher at FSU has only been there for three, and Al Golden has only been at Miami for two.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Al Golden has only been at Miami for two.
Miami's not a public school. Why don't you come back when you get a clue?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I know Miami is private, but that didn't occur to me when I posted that. Fuck off, heel nipper.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

E UNUM PLURIBUS
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Kirk Ferentz at $3.5 million.....almost $1 million per win last season.....plus annual longevity payments of another half million and numerous incentive clauses in his contract.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Same thing with Syracuse University. I'm always surprised at the number of people who think it is THE state university of NY. It is a private school.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

After Tedford and Howland got fired the highest paid here actually was a Surgeon and Professor at the UCLA med school.

Until they hired Alford, that is.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Paul Hewitt - George Mason University's head basketball coach - $659,750.

By comparison:

Shaka Smart - VCU's head basketball coach ranks 10th @ $450K
Mike London, UVA's head football coach, ranks 74th @ $315K, while his assistant coach, William Lazor, ranks 8th @ $453K
Gov. Bob McDonnell ranks 892nd @ $175K
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I knew GMU paid Hewitt a buttload to come there, but for fuck's sake, I didn't know it was THAT much. How on earth a coach in a one-bid league can pull in over $600k is amazing.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote:I knew GMU paid Hewitt a buttload to come there, but for fuck's sake, I didn't know it was THAT much. How on earth a coach in a one-bid league can pull in over $600k is amazing.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Wolfman wrote:I'm always surprised at the number of people who think it is THE state university of NY. It is a private school.
I'm even more amazed at how low a priority New York gives to athletics at its state schools. Buffalo is the only SUNY school with a Division I-A football program, and for the most part, it's been little more than a glorified 1-AA program.

Hell, you could go a step farther than that, and the relatively low priority New York historically gave to developing a state university system is amazing. SUNY didn't even exist, for all intensive purposes, until the 1960's. Some of the schools that exist in the SUNY system today existed before that time, but they were acquired by the state and merged into the SUNY system at that point. New York based its state university system on California's, despite the fact that New York had a 60+ year head start on California when it came to statehood.

New York is one of the few states on the list where a head coach is not the highest paid state employee. That's hardly surprising to me.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:for all intensive purposes,
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Wolfman wrote:I'm always surprised at the number of people who think it is THE state university of NY. It is a private school.
I'm even more amazed at how low a priority New York gives to athletics at its state schools. Buffalo is the only SUNY school with a Division I-A football program, and for the most part, it's been little more than a glorified 1-AA program.

Hell, you could go a step farther than that, and the relatively low priority New York historically gave to developing a state university system is amazing. SUNY didn't even exist, for all intensive purposes, until the 1960's. Some of the schools that exist in the SUNY system today existed before that time, but they were acquired by the state and merged into the SUNY system at that point. New York based its state university system on California's, despite the fact that New York had a 60+ year head start on California when it came to statehood.

New York is one of the few states on the list where a head coach is not the highest paid state employee. That's hardly surprising to me.
It's a U&R thing. The northeast didn't put much into its public university system until the last 50 or so years for the simple reason that it was already neck deep in long established private schools. Maybe you've heard of the Ivy League. So the deciders at the time didn't give two fukks about state schools because their kids went to Columbia or Princeton. The uncivilized parts of the country to the west and south didn't have this, so they developed a public system.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Smackie Chan wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:I knew GMU paid Hewitt a buttload to come there, but for fuck's sake, I didn't know it was THAT much. How on earth a coach in a one-bid league can pull in over $600k is amazing.
He's still in a one-bid league. So would GMU be paying him more if not for the GT money?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

R-Jack wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:for all intensive purposes,

Dude, that one was intentional. Sort of like typing "self of steam" on this board.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote:So would GMU be paying him more if not for the GT money?
Probably not. My guess is that GMU was looking for a coach with major Div-I credentials who they could hire on the cheap, relatively speaking, to replace Jim Larranaga, who GMU reportedly was willing to offer $1M/yr including incentives to stay. But Miami offered ~$1.3M/yr, so he bolted. Hewitt's inability to win or fill seats at GA Tech led to his firing, which got him a $7.2M buyout over 5 yrs, but he likely wouldn't have gotten any offers from any Div-I powers. So he took GMU's offer because it's a lot less stressful than coaching in the SEC, he had the buyout money, and likely wasn't going to get any better offers. Win-win, sort of. Except for GMU fans.

Tom Waits
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dude, that one was intentional.
:meds:

You just had your "Stop jackin' it to my pics!" moment on this board. Just take it like a man.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

smackaholic wrote:

It's a U&R thing. The northeast didn't put much into its public university system until the last 50 or so years for the simple reason that it was already neck deep in long established private schools. Maybe you've heard of the Ivy League. So the deciders at the time didn't give two fukks about state schools because their kids went to Columbia or Princeton. The uncivilized parts of the country to the west and south didn't have this, so they developed a public system.
I'm well aware of the Ivy League, and New York, in particular, had a pretty extensive list of private universities, including many that were no more than a step down or so from the Ivy League.

But a number of states had pretty significant private universities. North Carolina had Duke, Illinois had Northwestern, California had Stanford, Texas had Rice, Tennessee had Vanderbilt, etc. That didn't stop any of those states from developing significant public university systems.

As for the U&R, both Pennsylvania and New Jersey had pretty significant state university systems well ahead of New York, notwithstanding the presence of Ivy League universities in both states. So did Maryland, although that's a little south of the Ivy League.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Martyred wrote:
Dude, that one was intentional.
:meds:

You just had your "Stop jackin' it to my pics!" moment on this board. Just take it like a man.
Not quite. Shoalzie first posted that one 5-6 years ago, and I was the first to comment on it.

That one's been around long enough, I was pretty sure I didn't need to type "Shoalzie reset intentional" after it. Guess this board isn't quite as sharp as I thought.

Edit: To help Marty and R-Jack out . . .

http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewto ... es#p576902
http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewto ... es#p505165
Last edited by Terry in Crapchester on Mon May 13, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Smackie Chan wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:So would GMU be paying him more if not for the GT money?
Probably not. My guess is that GMU was looking for a coach with major Div-I credentials who they could hire on the cheap, relatively speaking, to replace Jim Larranaga, who GMU reportedly was willing to offer $1M/yr including incentives to stay. But Miami offered ~$1.3M/yr, so he bolted. Hewitt's inability to win or fill seats at GA Tech led to his firing, which got him a $7.2M buyout over 5 yrs, but he likely wouldn't have gotten any offers from any Div-I powers. So he took GMU's offer because it's a lot less stressful than coaching in the SEC, he had the buyout money, and likely wasn't going to get any better offers. Win-win, sort of. Except for GMU fans.
Since we're all nitpicking today, Ga Tech hasn't been in the SEC since 1963. Pretty sure Hewitt was still in diapers back then.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Since we're all nitpicking today, Ga Tech hasn't been in the SEC since 1963.
That one was intentional. Sort of like typing "self of steam" on this board. I knew it was ACC. 8)

Tom Waits
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:I'm well aware of the Ivy League, and New York, in particular, had a pretty extensive list of private universities, including many that were no more than a step down or so from the Ivy League.

But a number of states had pretty significant private universities. North Carolina had Duke, Illinois had Northwestern, California had Stanford, Texas had Rice, Tennessee had Vanderbilt, etc. That didn't stop any of those states from developing significant public university systems.
So, the rest of the country had Stanford, NWern, Rice and Vandy?

That is your answer?

It still leaves non U&R states woefully underschooled on the private side. And if you think Rice and Vandy = Harvard and Yale, you are a dumbfukk.

Face it, it is a simple fact, the rest of the country had a small fraction of what the U&R had regarding private higher ed. It really isn't worth arguing.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

smackaholic wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:I'm well aware of the Ivy League, and New York, in particular, had a pretty extensive list of private universities, including many that were no more than a step down or so from the Ivy League.

So, the rest of the country had Stanford, NWern, Rice and Vandy?

That is your answer?

It still leaves non U&R states woefully underschooled on the private side. And if you think Rice and Vandy = Harvard and Yale, you are a dumbfukk.

Face it, it is a simple fact, the rest of the country had a small fraction of what the U&R had regarding private higher ed. It really isn't worth arguing.
You seem to be missing my overall point here, which was, simply, that there wasn't an excuse for it.

Yeah, it wasn't until after WWII that people who didn't come from wealthy families started to go to college in large numbers. But there was at least some demand for college education among the non-wealthy before then, since most state university systems predate WWII by a significant time period. And even if you take that relatively late date as the starting point for higher public education, it still took New York a good 15 years after that before it even started to get SUNY off the ground.

As for other U&R states, to cite just a few examples, UConn was founded in 1881 and UMass was founded in 1863. SUNY wasn't founded (at least not in its current form) until the 60's -- the 1960's, that is. Not even comparable with the rest of the U&R. If you don't see a difference between those dates, you are a dumbfukk.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

smackaholic wrote:And if you think Rice and Vandy = Harvard and Yale, you are a dumbfukk.
Those are fighting words since you just called me a dumbfukk.

What has taken Harvard nearly 400 years to achieve, RICE has done in 100. Add to that we will kick their ass up and down the football field, basketball court and baseball diamond, before taking their women. (Well the 7 hot ones anyway.)
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:Add to that we will kick their ass up and down the...basketball court
:?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

The CAA used to be a pretty decent mid-major, but got dry fucked six ways from Sunday on the recent realignment. They lost ODU to C-USA (mainly predicated on ODU wanting to upgrade football to 1-A) and VCU to the A-10. Fortunately for Hewitt, those moves didn't happen until after he was already onboard, just my guess.

Btw, Mason is now set to join the A-10 in July. http://articles.dailypress.com/2013-03- ... erence-usa So you'll have plenty of opportunities to see them with the season tickets you have for a school you never attended. Or were you suggesting that the A-10 is about to be a one-bid conference, after the ass-raping it took at the hands of the Big East? :lol:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Lefty, the point I am attempting to pound into terry's pinhead is that the U&R had a highly developed private university system at the time most state U programs got off the ground, which is generally, the last half of the 19th century and early 20th century. It was not the fukking 60s. And it is the reason that our state schools didn't really get any money thrown at them until after WWII.

I will agree with Terry that the SUNY program seems a little behind the curve, even by U&R standards. However, I am not sure that it is a matter of them not putting money into it, as it is how they put money into it. You will notice that there is not a NY state or NYU in div 1 sports and that is because NY went with a system of many smaller campi, where other smaller U&R states like joisy and Ct went with single larger ones. This makes sense as both NJ and Ct are small densely populated states. One is not better than the other, just different, unless your measuring stick is div 1 sports, in which case, the mega campus makes sense.

Regarding PA, it is not really a U&R state. It has the philly metro area, but, beyond that it is one long sparsely populated very midwestern state. It kind of makes sense that it developed penn state along the lines of other big midwestern states such as Ohio.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:The CAA used to be a pretty decent mid-major, but got dry fucked six ways from Sunday on the recent realignment. They lost ODU to C-USA (mainly predicated on ODU wanting to upgrade football to 1-A) and VCU to the A-10. Fortunately for Hewitt, those moves didn't happen until after he was already onboard, just my guess.

Btw, Mason is now set to join the A-10 in July. http://articles.dailypress.com/2013-03- ... erence-usa So you'll have plenty of opportunities to see them with the season tickets you have for a school you never attended. Or were you suggesting that the A-10 is about to be a one-bid conference, after the ass-raping it took at the hands of the Big East? :lol:
This year's winner of the CAA, James Madison, was rewarded with a 15 seed, so they didn't just get fucked on realignment. While the A-10 is certainly changing and not necessarily for the better, I look forward to regular matchups with GMU as it will emphasize the local rivalry. Hopefully the A-10 can stay a multi-bid league.