NCAA Tournament Thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Re: NCAA Tournament Thread

Post by Mace »

Props to Sparty and the Wolverines for moving on to the next round with the Hoosiers and tOSU waiting to play. I look for the Illini to be the next B1G team to exit but the other four have a chance to reach the Final Four. I won't predict a B1G Final Four, but it's still possible. Not bad for such an overrated conference. :lol:

B1G! B1G! B1G!

Nawww, that just doesn't have the same ring to it as SEC! SEC! SEC!
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

I thought the Zags first game was first round jitters, but Gagzaga looked mediocre at best
obviously way way overrated and Wichita St. looked for really good

oregon is a big surprise-those guys are pretty good
get out, get out while there's still time
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Oregon was a deceiving 12-seed...just thought would fall to the upstart Billikens. It was a massacre for all the recent sweetheart mid-majors yesterday...Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, and Saint Louis.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

If I were a Michigan State fan I'd be thrilled watching this OSU/ISU game. Korie Luscious is absolute shit.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

What is the backstory about lucious leaving Michigan state?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Specifics were never leaked; he was booted off for not "following team rules." Basically, he was a cancer. I think it was just a lot of little shit that added up over time and Izzo had enough. Chris Allen, who was a class ahead of Lucious, transferred to Iowa State too. ISU = MSU West.

Having a pretty damn nice game/tournament so far.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Hoiberg has made the most out of collecting "cancers" from other schools and molding them into a team. Might have something to do with NBA experiences and dealing with a bunch of egos. The time to play ISU is in the early season when they're all playing one-on-one and not understanding of the team concept. That seems to develop as the season progresses.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Pulled that one out...damn, can't take too many more of them!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

epic comeback by Iowa State, only to fall just short. Ouch.

great game, that's what it's all about there.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Good to see Jamie Dixon getting the studio work. He's gonna need it in a few years.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Papa Willie wrote:FGC. You've just got to love 'em... :wink:
Yep, they make a great story and they're fun to watch. The best conference in the country (MWC) is about to be done.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Barkley still hasn't backed off his big ten comment

Four teams as of now in the sweet sixteen says what?

Yeah the Mwc is so badass
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Other than his takes on the flagrant fouls...he's not said anything I've taken seriously.

Gulf Coast has been the feel good story of the tourney...a lot of fun to watch. Hard not to root for them for at least one more round. ;)
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Mace wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:FGC. You've just got to love 'em... :wink:
Yep, they make a great story and they're fun to watch.
Now THAT was fun! Can't wait to watch 'em match up against the Big School in Arlington next week...
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

FGCU is HUGE down here of course---more HUGE than Billy Fucillo (Google it if you wish). Folks going bat shit and FGCU's book store can't keep up with the orders for gear. My brother has even bought me a T-shirt. Rack them for being the 1st 15 seed to get so far.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Fuck Rooty-Tooty. Marshall Henderson is a punk. Nice to see LaSalle take his hotdog ass down a peg-or-three.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Truman wrote:Fuck Rooty-Tooty. Marshall Henderson is a punk. Nice to see LaSalle take his hotdog ass down a peg-or-three.
Totally agree with that.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Mace wrote:
Truman wrote:Fuck Rooty-Tooty. Marshall Henderson is a punk. Nice to see LaSalle take his hotdog ass down a peg-or-three.
Totally agree with that.

just got home from the bar.. everyone was against slim shaddy. Fuck that white trash piece of shit.

Rack La Salle.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Looks like we have a chance for another B1G finish in Austin. How did Miami get Baylor's shoes?!

Edit. :brad: Damnit Illinois...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Good to see Jamie Dixon getting the studio work. He's gonna need it in a few years.
[zyclone]Dude went to my high school. He was one year behind me.[/zyclone]
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Specifics were never leaked; he was booted off for not "following team rules." Basically, he was a cancer. I think it was just a lot of little shit that added up over time and Izzo had enough. Chris Allen, who was a class ahead of Lucious, transferred to Iowa State too. ISU = MSU West.

Having a pretty damn nice game/tournament so far.
Eh, I posted that after watching his pocket get picked like seven straight times down the court.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

jiminphilly wrote:
Mace wrote:
Totally agree with that.

just got home from the bar.. everyone was against slim shaddy. Fuck that white trash piece of shit.

Rack La Salle.

Henderson is a major douche...props to the Explorers.

Gotta say this is a solid Sweet 16 field...quality matchups (Duke-MSU, Michigan-Kansas, Indiana-Syracuse, Miami-Marquette) and a few surprises sprinkled in (FGC, Wichita State, LaSalle...Oregon is a mild surprise). Names-wise, lot of big name programs left...didn't mention Louisville, Florida, Arizona or Ohio State.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Good to see Jamie Dixon getting the studio work. He's gonna need it in a few years.
He just signed an extension through 2023.
Mace wrote:In other news, it doesn't look right now as if Iowa State was such a "good draw" for the Irish despite the fact that ND is trying to scare the Cyclones with some Oregon-ugly fucking uniforms.
And in other news, Iowa still didn't make the field. But that hasn't stopped its fanbase from going to the "B1G! B1G! B1G!" card. Props on that. I guess.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:He just signed an extension through 2023.
Boy, that's great because we all know contracts are always honored until they expire. And we all know once-elite schools that join new conference always give their coaches tons of time to get acclimated even when they're losing in the first round of the tournament.

Idiot.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Mace wrote:In other news, it doesn't look right now as if Iowa State was such a "good draw" for the Irish despite the fact that ND is trying to scare the Cyclones with some Oregon-ugly fucking uniforms.
And in other news, Iowa still didn't make the field. But that hasn't stopped its fanbase from going to the "B1G! B1G! B1G!" card. Props on that. I guess.
No, Iowa got snubbed by the NCAA Selection Committee despite finishing 6th in the conference and ahead of two other teams who were selected, but, unlike Notre Dame, they did beat Iowa State. And, yeah, I'm rooting for the B1G teams that I have picked in my bracket and, so far, it seems to be working out pretty well. Picking the better team in the matchups usually do....which is also why I picked Iowa State to beat Notre Dame.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

If Oregon can pull out one more win it would probably give me an insurmountable lead in my office pool, which I weighted heavily with upsets. 44 points, plus most of the contenders have Louisville at least in the final 4.

The #12 vs. #5 first round upset can be a good friend.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:He just signed an extension through 2023.
Boy, that's great because we all know contracts are always honored until they expire. And we all know once-elite schools that join new conference always give their coaches tons of time to get acclimated even when they're losing in the first round of the tournament.

Idiot.
Never said he'd be there until 2023. But since he just signed the extension, and the extension takes him to ten years out from now, it' should be obvious, even to a Western Michigan alum, that Pitt has no plans to fire him anytime soon.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Mikey wrote:The #12 vs. #5 first round upset can be a good friend.
Considering the frequency with which it seems to apply, one should take at least one 12 vs. 5 upset every year. This year I took two: the Fighting Dinsdales and the Fighting m2oodles. And I still came up short by one. :waz:
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Mace wrote:Iowa . . . unlike Notre Dame, . . .did beat Iowa State.
Oh, I see you working. Iowa beat Iowa State. Iowa State beat ND. Therefore, Iowa is better than ND.

The old transitive properties argument. m2oodles would be proud. :mrgreen:
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mace wrote:Iowa . . . unlike Notre Dame, . . .did beat Iowa State.
Oh, I see you working. Iowa beat Iowa State. Iowa State beat ND. Therefore, Iowa is better than ND.

The old transitive properties argument. m2oodles would be proud. :mrgreen:
Where did I say that Iowa was "better than Notre Dame"? That's right, I didn't, so save your bullshit spin for m2.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Nice article about the origins of La Salle basketball from an old college friend/fraternity brother
Everyone used to know who Tom Gola was. Everyone is learning again now. It has been impossible to watch any of La Salle University's three games in this NCAA tournament—three surprising victories that have taken the 13th-seeded Explorers from the first round to the West Region's semifinals—and miss the repeated references that network TV analysts have made to Gola.

If you graduated from La Salle (as I did) or if you grew up in a certain place at a certain time, you appreciate these references. Refreshed by La Salle's run through this tournament, the story of Tom Gola's impact on college basketball is old and rich and significant, and it begins here, in New York.

In 1951, college basketball was in crisis, particularly in the city that was then its capital. Point-shaving scandals at CCNY, Manhattan College, NYU and Long Island University had left the sport in shambles. The public perceived that gamblers, thieves and thugs were overseeing every game, manipulating every final score, and nowhere did this perception threaten the sport's viability more than in New York.

At the time, the National Invitation Tournament, held annually at Madison Square Garden, was the St. Edward's Crown of the college-basketball season. Without the wall-to-wall TV coverage of today, the NCAA tournament hadn't yet emerged as the billion-dollar behemoth it has since become. No, Manhattan was where it was at, and here and around the country, college basketball was in a bad way.

Enter Gola, a 19-year-old freshman guard who had grown up just blocks from La Salle's north Philadelphia campus. Standing 6 feet 6, with a shorter man's ability to dribble and pass and a willingness to play with toughness and unselfishness, Gola was sui generis in that era of basketball. He was Magic Johnson, one sportswriter who covered him said, before Magic Johnson. The son of a police officer ("Poppa's all right," Gola's mother told her children one night, according to a magazine profile. "He hit the robber three times with five shots."), he was college basketball's pre-eminent player during his four years at La Salle, coated in honor, unstained by scandal, and the 1952 NIT was his introduction to the country. Given the circumstances and context, his timing could not have been better.

Gola scored 22 points in La Salle's win over Dayton in the NIT title game at the Garden, capping a season in which he averaged 17.4 points and 17.1 rebounds and helped expand people's thinking about how basketball could be played. He had the requisite background and humility to become the sort of Godded-up sports hero common to the age. After La Salle's victory, Gola even appeared on Ed Sullivan's "Toast of the Town" show on national TV. He had helped the sport reclaim some of its good name.

Two years after winning the NIT, La Salle won the NCAA title, and the Explorers reached the NCAA championship game again in 1955, Gola's senior season. But that year marked a stark line of demarcation in the sport's evolution, as Gola and the Explorers lost to the University of San Francisco and its star, Bill Russell.

USF's win and its 1956 repeat were groundbreaking. "The Dons were the forerunners for the modern game," Sports Illustrated's Kelli Anderson wrote in 2006. "In two short years they shifted college basketball's balance of power from white to black, from offense to defense and, thanks to the backboard-clearing, shot blocking, backward-dunking Russell, from horizontal to vertical."

Over his 12 NBA seasons, including four with the Knicks, Gola was a consistently excellent player, though his career never reached the same heights it did at La Salle. He remains the leading rebounder in NCAA history (2,201), and for those of us from the region, it was Gola's loyalty to his school and hometown that we most treasured about him.

While playing for the Knicks, he commuted to New York from Philadelphia. He returned to La Salle as head coach, guiding the Explorers to a 23-1 record in 1968-69 while the program was on NCAA probation. He was Philadelphia's city controller. He ran for mayor. Fathers would tell their sons about seeing him play.

Then La Salle went into a long fallow period beginning in the early 1990s—12 consecutive losing seasons, 21 years without an NCAA tournament berth—and though the university named its modest basketball arena after him in 1998, there wasn't much reason to talk about Tom Gola anymore.

I last visited with him in November 2004, 16 months after he had fallen outside a restaurant and cracked his skull and slipped into a coma, five months after a stroke had slurred his speech and forced him to walk with a cane. He is 80 now, living in a nursing home in Philadelphia, and just last week, as this La Salle team was knocking off Boise State and upsetting Kansas State and beating Ole Miss in the final seconds, Jim Nantz and Marv Albert kept mentioning Tom Gola again and again, talking about who he was and why he mattered. Some things are worth remembering.
Write to Mike Sielski at mike.sielski@wsj.com
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mikey wrote:The #12 vs. #5 first round upset can be a good friend.
Considering the frequency with which it seems to apply, one should take at least one 12 vs. 5 upset every year. This year I took two: the Fighting Dinsdales and the Fighting m2oodles. And I still came up short by one. :waz:
I picked all four for the hell of it and scored on three of them.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

M2 wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote: picking Ole Miss

I do see them taking out Wisky. If they can't get past those pasty-assed, plodding white boys, something's bad wrong in Oxford.

You're an idiot.

You never fail to deliver.
What happened to M2? I see he's posting in another thread and avoiding this one. Typical.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

The Indiana-Syracuse game is extremely physical and, unfortunately for the Hoosiers, the Orange are bigger and more physical. Too many turnovers and Indiana has been out muscled and out played this entire game, and Zeller has been rendered a non factor. Props to Syracuse for playing a hell of a game.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mace wrote:The Indiana-Syracuse game is extremely physical and, unfortunately for the Hoosiers, the Orange are bigger and more physical. Too many turnovers and Indiana has been out muscled and out played this entire game, and Zeller has been rendered a non factor. Props to Syracuse for playing a hell of a game.
Those guys played an amazing defense.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Anyone explain how Gottlieb stuck his size 13s in his mouth? Guess he took color commenting (and the definition of tard) to a new level...