Did Sergio Choke?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Pablo
Provocateur

Did Sergio Choke?

Post by Pablo »

At the Wachovia yesterday? Sure, he squandered a six-shot lead, but he shot even par on Sunday. I don't think he "choked" a la Greg Norman shooting 78 on Sunday at the Masters against Faldo.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

First, that was one hell of a tournament.

You guys are all PGA fans, so.......

Can I get a show of hands from all of you who didn't see the demise of DJ Trahan coming, when faced with an assortment of badasses who don't play for second, and could smell it in the air on Sunday?

Well?

OK, that makes none of you.

Anyhow -- did Sergio choke?

Yeah, pretty much. Sure, we could sit here and debate levels of chokituted over the ages........and let's not forget one Jean Van de Velde.....but at the end of the day, a choke is a choke.

But Sergio shouldn't feel bad. He was in good company. That course kicked a few asses over the weekend.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And considering he tied the record for biggest final round collapse in the history of the PGA.........
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

I'd say it was a choke but then wasn't there some arguement that it's not considered a choke unless the guy shoots a 75 or some score over par on the final day...
Could have sworn someone defended Michelson on that basis..
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'd say it was a choke too......but I've never had a 54 hole lead in a PGA event.

Shooting 72 at Quail hollow from the tips wouldn't be a "choke" in my book. It's be more like a happydance.
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

Mickelson played the par-3 17th in seven over for the week. He hit it in the water on three different days resulting in three double bogeys. If he just pars that hole all four days he finishes at 13 under, one ahead of the leaders.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

Dinsdale, You're right about Trahan. No way a 24 y.o. rookie(?) hangs around w/ the likes of Vijay, Furyk and Sergio for four rounds. I went to the Wachovia on Friday. That's one long, tight track. Esp. w/ the wind blowing like it was that day. 17 and 18 are brutal.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Pablo wrote:Mickelson played the par-3 17th in seven over for the week. He hit it in the water on three different days resulting in three double bogeys. If he just pars that hole all four days he finishes at 13 under, one ahead of the leaders.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Pablo wrote:I went to the Wachovia on Friday.
RACK you.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I went on Saturday and Phil did not play well on the couple of holes I saw him play - was a little tense and looked like he was forcing some stuff...but he sure did turn it around for the most part on Sunday (duh) except 17...

Tiger hit some absolute bombs on Saturday on the couple of holes I got to see, specifically 1 and 9. 9 is a bitch 491 yard par 4 and he easily has 145-150 in - everyone else has much longer approach shots...

anyway that is one hell of a tourney (I went the first year and this year) and that track is unbelieveable...truely a great non-major tournament and if Els and Goosen come next year holy shit...