I think I see a problem with using this on the battlefield

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

mvscal
Blank

Re: I think I see a problem with using this on the battlefie

Post by mvscal »

KC Scott wrote:No explanation is provided, so maybe RPGs are just supposed to bounce off it
No, they're just supposed to land in more or less secure areas where the risk of taking direct fire is minimal.They seem to be especially useful in delivering emergency supplies to remote or inaccessible areas in the event of natural disaster but the potential military applications are where the funding is so that is the angle they'll emphasize in order to bring their product to market.

Does this help?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

KC Scott wrote:I get that the military funding (AKA pork) was needed to get the project off the ground, but unless they're no where near a combat zone, I don't see this having much military benefit
Yeah, I mean it's not like the military has ever used blimps before. :meds:

They have the advantages of helos but with better payload capabilities and range.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

smackaholic wrote:
KC Scott wrote:I get that the military funding (AKA pork) was needed to get the project off the ground, but unless they're no where near a combat zone, I don't see this having much military benefit
Yeah, I mean it's not like the military has ever used blimps before. :meds:

They have the advantages of helos but with better payload capabilities and range.
This is why I want the voters to take you off the Certified "nominee" list. Three hangers at NAS Moffett Field were used for something back in the day.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

KC Scott wrote: but unless they're no where near a combat zone, I don't see this having much military benefit
What is your military experience?

Obviously you aren't going to land a blimp in a "hot LZ," but there is certainly a utility in being able to drop 66 tons of whatever is needed wherever it is needed just a mile or two down the MSR. You could use these to set up FAARPs for airborne/air assault operations. In one sortie you could deliver the same payload as 6 CH-47F's with far less fuel and zero wear an tear on the Shithooks.

It is certainly worth a look.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Seriously, $35 million is a drop in the fucking bucket when it comes to DoD spending, nevertheless waste.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Don Quixote just took his shirt off
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Are we going to sell them to Egypt?
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Kinda hard to sell them to someone with no money. That shithole's primary source of income (pyramids tourism) kinda dried up when it became an unstable shithole when the "spring" hit.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

That's right. I forgot that we GIVE them weapons to use against us and our allies.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wolfman wrote:That's right. I forgot that we GIVE them weapons to use against us and our allies.
We do?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Good as long as your winds are under 25-30 knots. Pretty much useless after that.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Derron wrote:Good as long as your winds are under 25-30 knots. Pretty much useless after that.
Yup, it won't work worth a damn during a storm. There are places,some of them in your neck of the woods, where it wouldn't work a good bit of the time, but in most places, it will work just fine ninety-something percent of the time.

Actually using ground tethering, it might even do OK in some pretty substantial winds. Of course helos are pretty shitty in high winds as well.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote:
Derron wrote:Good as long as your winds are under 25-30 knots. Pretty much useless after that.
Yup, it won't work worth a damn during a storm. There are places,some of them in your neck of the woods, where it wouldn't work a good bit of the time, but in most places, it will work just fine ninety-something percent of the time.

Actually using ground tethering, it might even do OK in some pretty substantial winds. Of course helos are pretty shitty in high winds as well.
I have been very few places in this country where the winds are dead calm. Sup, Grand Rapids in winter, Santa Ana winds, Las Vegas, Denver airport approachs, anywhere on the high deserts of the northwest in summer.

If you are talking about working while ground tethered, cluster fuck even in winds. Tactical use, none in adverse conditions.

Just another 35 million in the government crack pipe.
Derron
Dr. Bob
Jake

Post by Dr. Bob »

And suddenly the blow-dart becomes a viable anti-aircraft defense...the Amazon basin rejoices.
Back from the dead
he's a killer of threads
without the use of PEDs
...ain't a doctor, they said.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I have been very few places in this country where the winds are dead calm. [/quote]

Well which is it, dipstick?

There are plenty of places that are dead calm/close to it, most of the time. There are a shitload of places that are <25 knots most of the time.

There is one other advantage. Stealth. On a dark night or in cloud cover this thing is gonna be able to cruise over the heads of shit heads at a few thousand ft or maybe less, without waking the entire neighborhood. A CH-53, not so much.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

cockaholic wrote:

There is one other advantage. Stealth. On a dark night or in cloud cover this thing is gonna be able to cruise over the heads of shit heads at a few thousand ft or maybe less, without waking the entire neighborhood. A CH-53, not so much.
Mix in a lesson on radar and stealth, and stealth construction before you declare that monstrosity "stealthy". That thing has as big a radar paint as a fucking aircraft carrier. One LAWS away from complete destruction in a tactical situation. Maybe some application in rear support, but still a waste.
Derron
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Derron wrote:
cockaholic wrote:

Mix in a lesson on radar and stealth, and stealth construction before you declare that monstrosity "stealthy". That thing has as big a radar paint as a fucking aircraft carrier. One LAWS away from complete destruction in a tactical situation. Maybe some application in rear support, but still a waste.
I've forgotten more about radar than you'll ever know, duuuhron.

Wasn't aware that Ibrahim had an air search radar strapped to his donkey.

Of course normal foes have them, but, many of the fukks we've been dealing with this past decade don't and if they did, they wouldn't know how to use them.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Derron wrote: One LAWS away from complete destruction in a tactical situation.
It's not supposed to be used in a tactical situation, chief.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

mvscal wrote:
cockaholic wrote:There is one other advantage. Stealth. On a dark night or in cloud cover this thing is gonna be able to cruise over the heads of shit heads at a few thousand ft or maybe less, without waking the entire neighborhood.
No fucking shit. cockaholic thinks so and that is what I was responding to.
Derron
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Derron wrote:
mvscal wrote:
cockaholic wrote:There is one other advantage. Stealth. On a dark night or in cloud cover this thing is gonna be able to cruise over the heads of shit heads at a few thousand ft or maybe less, without waking the entire neighborhood.
No fucking shit. cockaholic thinks so and that is what I was responding to.
Stealth can be an advantage even after the tactical dust has settled. It could be something as simple as not pissing off the entire town with the noise and prop wash that comes with low flying big choppers.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote: Stealth can be an advantage even after the tactical dust has settled. It could be something as simple as not pissing off the entire town with the noise and prop wash that comes with low flying big choppers.
Is this before or after their town, area and hoods are overran or subject to armed conflict ? Don't want to piss off the residents when conducing military operations in the area.
Derron
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Derron wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Stealth can be an advantage even after the tactical dust has settled. It could be something as simple as not pissing off the entire town with the noise and prop wash that comes with low flying big choppers.
Is this before or after their town, area and hoods are overran or subject to armed conflict ? Don't want to piss off the residents when conducing military operations in the area.
I am referring to after the shooting has stopped but you still need to maintain a presence. Giving our guys options besides ground convoys which have a habit of getting blowed the fukk up from time to time.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

We get a lot of chopper noise from Camp Pendleton sometimes. Mostly on the other end of town, though.

If they trained in those things instead it would be a lot quieter around here.
I figure the choppers and artillery practice are the sounds of freedom, though, so I don't really mind it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:We get a lot of chopper noise from Camp Pendleton sometimes. Mostly on the other end of town, though.

If they trained in those things instead it would be a lot quieter around here.
I figure the choppers and artillery practice are the sounds of freedom, though, so I don't really mind it.
More like the sounds of the local economy.

If (when) the defense dollars dry up, your neck of the woods will feel it as bad as any other place. I would think it might be good for an extra few points on the SD unemployement rate. Prolly not such a good thing right now with folks/jobs leaving cali i droves.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Another vision for the airship is as the Titanic of the air: a luxury cruise through the skies, letting passengers slowly absorb the sites below, while dining in style high above.
Of all the ships they could have used to make that comparison, they pick the one that went tits up 2 days into its first run. Epic.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

BSmack wrote:
Another vision for the airship is as the Titanic of the air: a luxury cruise through the skies, letting passengers slowly absorb the sites below, while dining in style high above.
Of all the ships they could have used to make that comparison, they pick the one that went tits up 2 days into its first run. Epic.
No shit. If someone tells me dude, you need to check this thing out, it's the titanic of the air!!! I think I'll pass. I would like to sky dive some day, but, I'd rather it not be to avoid going down in flame.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

BSmack wrote:
Yeah, they might want to scratch that reference out in future promotional materials.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote: ... going down in flame.
You should be quite used to it by now.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

They are inexpensive to operate, maintain, can do heavy lift, and are ready-made for drone use. You can expect to see them overhead in the US within the decade.
Cock o' the walk, baby!