mid afternoon games

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

mid afternoon games

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

So the first half is almost over, and this vaunted Bucky offense hasn't scored a TD against an FCS team. Looks like they're about to though...

So. Miss giving NU all they can handle. Burkhead got hurt...I'm hearing MCL sprain? Shockingly, Martinez actually seems to have vastly improved his throwing motion.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: mid afternoon games

UF up just 14-7 at the half vs Bowling Green.

Elite SEC speed vs a mid tier MAC team. Something's got to give.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Wow… the Bowling Green punter just got absolutely blasted into next week by a UF player after successfully running for a first down on a fake punt. Late hit out of bounds.

As I type this… BG ties it (pending xtra point).
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Buffs got off to a shaky start in the 1st quarter before Jordan Webb pulled it together in the 2nd, I was actually starting to feel mildly confident about this game until a Webb fumble killed one promising drive and a muffed punt led to a CSU TD right before the half. CU up 14-9 after blocking the PAT.

The D is playing pretty well. I'd like to see some more consistency out of the running game. I just hope Embree can find someone who can field a fucking punt on extremely short notice. If so, I like the Buffs to win by 12-15. If not, this could be another loooong season...
"Keys, woman!"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The Gators are hanging in there valiantly, although this mighty BG Falcon team looks a little rusty. Perhaps UF can pull the upset.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Burkhead is still playing? Is he 28 years old?
why is my neighborhood on fire
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

BG kicker shanks it. That was quite possibly the worst miss I have ever seen.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Bwaa...BG promptly gets the ball back on a fumble recovery. God, UF is terrible.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Northern Iowa was down 7-26 to Wisconsin in the second half...it's now a 21-26 game with 7 minutes and change left. This Wisky team not looking nearly as formidable as I thought they would.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Burkhead is 22 years old and a senior.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Northern Iowa driving here with a chance for the go-ahead TD. 4:30 left.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Wisco pulls it out. I don't get why ADs schedule games against these high level FCS squads. There is nothing to be gained, and everything to lose. Northern Iowa can play some ball, yet the mere perception of losing to a FCS team is pretty damning. I remember in '09 when a top 10ish Iowa team needed to pull a miracle out of its ass to beat Northern Iowa 17-16. You're much better off scheduling some shit-ass FBS team from the Sun Belt or something. Probably a much better chance of stomping a mud hole in Middle Tennessee, and a lot of stupid pollsters would consider that a "better" win anyway.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

It's now 49-20 NU with about 3 minutes left.

Passing by Martinez: 26 of 34 for 349 yards. 5 TDs. No INTs.

He's really improved at his passing.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Buffs got off to a shaky start in the 1st quarter before Jordan Webb pulled it together in the 2nd, I was actually starting to feel mildly confident about this game until a Webb fumble killed one promising drive and a muffed punt led to a CSU TD right before the half. CU up 14-9 after blocking the PAT.

The D is playing pretty well. I'd like to see some more consistency out of the running game. I just hope Embree can find someone who can field a fucking punt on extremely short notice. If so, I like the Buffs to win by 12-15. If not, this could be another loooong season...

buffs kick a FG to open the 4th, 17-16 CU.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Finished with the 49-20 score. NU had 622 total yards with 34 first downs. The total yards I think is the most since 2008, when they had 610 against KSU.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

At Large wrote:Finished with the 49-20 score. NU had 622 total yards with 34 first downs. The total yards I think is the most since 2008, when they had 610 against KSU.
Nebraska is back. Martinez is the 2nd coming of Joe Montana.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Looks like the Buffs are gonna make me sweat this one out. Down 2 with about 5:30 left and just punted it back to the Sheep...
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Looks like the Buffs are gonna make me sweat this one out. Down 2 with about 5:30 left and just punted it back to the Sheep...
gotta score a TD to win now.

not looking good imo mike.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

22-17 Lambs with 3:00 left. Gut-check time for the Buffs.
"Keys, woman!"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Wow. Bailed out by the refs on that pick...
"Keys, woman!"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I used to play this game in Pick'Em, but have since stayed far, far away from CU-CSU. One of the most unpredictable games all year long...all you know is it will be a dogfight.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Pretty much. If the spread is ever higher than 7, take the dog...
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I used to play this game in Pick'Em, but have since stayed far, far away from CU-CSU. One of the most unpredictable games all year long...all you know is it will be a dogfight.
a decade ago, both teams were legit top 30 type teams. now, they are sub .500 teams...who knows what will happen?

as a resident of the Front Range of the Rockies for over 20 years and a CU grad school alum....it's CSU's Super Bowl. gotta take that into account. now, CU looks pretty bad and this one is over.
Last edited by King Crimson on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

fuck. Ballgame. Maybe throw it downfield on 4th???
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

this game proves not a lot going forward, but i always thought CU fans should have taken McElwain more seriously as a candidate but he wasn't one of Mac's guys. what do CU fans want, run game that takes over the 4th.

i just saw that from a team with 2 star recruits and CO kids.

nostalgia hires aren't good. i like Embree and he says all the right shit...but, today is today.
"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Wisco pulls it out. I don't get why ADs schedule games against these high level FCS squads. There is nothing to be gained, and everything to lose. Northern Iowa can play some ball, yet the mere perception of losing to a FCS team is pretty damning. I remember in '09 when a top 10ish Iowa team needed to pull a miracle out of its ass to beat Northern Iowa 17-16. You're much better off scheduling some shit-ass FBS team from the Sun Belt or something. Probably a much better chance of stomping a mud hole in Middle Tennessee, and a lot of stupid pollsters would consider that a "better" win anyway.
Bielema seemed quite happy with the game. Better than blowing out a cupcake 63-3. O'Brien is the real deal. Mon-TAY got his first contact in 8 months. But yeah, they'll drop further in the polls than an SEC team that lost.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Northern Iowa IS a cupcake. Maybe not a $.99 Hostess cupcake, but more like an expensive Italian bakery cupcake. At the end of the day, not a team that should be driving on you late in the 4th quarter with a chance to win.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Absolute hoseshit. A 10-win team a year ago that was preseason top 10 this year. They came within a point of beating Iowa State last year in Ames. Two years before that, they came within a point of beating Iowa at Iowa City. The top 1-AA teams are better than a number of the lesser lights in 1-A. Minnesota won't give us that tough a game.

A game the Badgers should win? Yes. A cupcake? Hardly.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

They're a cupcake. EOS.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And so was Appalachian State. They came within a point of beating Iowa State in Ames. Same Iowa State team that took out Okie State. Not a cupcake.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Almost beating Iowa St doesn't mean a team isn't a cupcake. Iowa St is a cupcake. Any D1-AA is a cupcake, by definition. That's why Wisky scheduled them.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

And so Okie State got beat by a cupcake? Iowa State was a .500 team in the regular season. They might be mediocre, but that does not qualify as a cupcake. You are totally whack.

BTW, if .500 teams from BCS conferences are cupcakes, do you know how many cupcakes were on the USC schedule last year?

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

we need a working definition of "cupcake" but i know Northern Iowa has played some regional teams in the Big XII and Big Ten tough over the years. a regional midmajor chock full of kids who wanted more than anything prolly to go to Iowa, ISU, Wiscy, whatever...they can be a handful. what can also make a squad like scary, is they actually practice hard and listen to their coaches because they know that's how they get better. NIU or UNI has been tough in hoops, too.

there's a definite bias on this board over the years about how playing the local midmajors is much tougher in my region than yours (which deserve ridicule). like Toledo is real in the midwest. they might play you close, rockets blew out Colorado a couple years ago. or N. Iowa. Tulsa maybe in the Big XII region. Troy, whatever. Nevada beating a Pac team is not really THAT shocking.

a couple years ago an eventual 4 win Utah State team was driving the ball in Norman against the future Big XII champs in the 4th quarter on opening day. that same OU team beat FSU by 30 the next week in a game that wasn't 30 points close.

i wouldn't call N. Iowa a cupcake....but, should be a cosmetic tuneup. same with UTEP for OU. though that was a road game and OU on the road has been a mysterious thing in the Landry Jones era. not blaming LJ, not his fault the Miners are hitting him all the time....just a time frame.
"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Goober McTuber wrote:And so Okie State got beat by a cupcake?
Yes. It happens. Every dog occasionally has its day, especially in conference play at home.
Iowa State was a .500 team in the regular season. They might be mediocre, but that does not qualify as a cupcake. You are totally whack.
Iowa St has a long way to go before they could even be considered mediocre. Their best season in recent memory still ended up sub .500. Most of the time they don't even get a sniff at .500, and the few wins they do get are usually OOC victories over even bigger cupcakes.

Northern Iowa (the team you played) is a D1-AA team, and therefore absolutely a cupcake. You shouldn't even be playing D1-AA teams. It's a disgrace every time a D1 powerhouse plays a D1-AA, and you barely beat that cupcake at home. You won, so it won't matter later, but quit trying to spin it any other way.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

King Crimson wrote:we need a working definition of "cupcake" but i know Northern Iowa has played some regional teams in the Big XII and Big Ten tough over the years.
And that's how you know you're talking about a cupcake, when the standard of formidability given to them is that they occasionally "play someone tough." That's the ultimate backhanded compliment. If they weren't a cupcake they would be expected to win those games, and no one would give them credit merely for almost beating the likes of Iowa St.

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

naw, a cupcake is someone on whom you score 50. their rpi is 200 in hoops. everyone is drunk off their ass in late summer at College Town Stadium X. tailgating, the new art of macho. it's a payday for the school, the local merchants make out in $$$$. Everyone is happy. Homecoming has been moved to the OOC.

i know, Van, USC doesn't play those people in D-whatever. point made without making it. respect that about USC.

the west coast doesn't really have those teams, except in basketball maybe? regional gadflies. except Nevada, but i think we all enjoyed that one.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Label them whatever the hell you want, Goobs. That's a game that a top 15 Wisconsin team with Ball and a beastly o-line should be winning by 3 TDs, period.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I agree that Wisky should have not given up three rather quick touchdowns, but we probably would have smoked Central Michigan were they in Camp Randall Saturday.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Goober McTuber wrote:I agree that Wisky should have not given up three rather quick touchdowns, but we probably would have smoked Central Michigan were they in Camp Randall Saturday.
Okay. Great?