Putters

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Rushville
Elwood

Putters

Post by Rushville »

How often do you change putters?

Every time you have a bad putting round?
Every time a new fad hits the market (i.e. the two-ball putters)?
Every time your favorite club manufacturer comes out with something new?
Every time your favorite touring pro changes to something new?
Every year?

Every month?
Every time you lose feel with the one you've got?

Never?

Me, I fall under the category of every time I lose feel with the one I've got. I've gone through all of two putters over the last 8 years.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I've played with exactly two putters in my life. The first one snapped in half after 20 years of use. I didn't even slam it or anything. It just broke in half after I dropped it next to my ball on the fairway. A week later I bought a Top Flite putter that looked and felt just like the old one for 20 bucks. After a week I was rolling the rock as poorly as I was before. . :oops:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

That's another good topic. How much do you spend on putters?

The one I used through college and my brief touring career was one that I found in the pro shop I worked in that was a Diawa knock off of a Wilson 8802. With my employee discount and putting a different grip on it I paid $20. And I rolled it pretty darn well for a long time. Not well enough when it counted, obviously. Since then I put together a Snake Eyes out of Golfsmith and the parts and shipping cost me just under $30. And I'm pretty happy with it.

I go to golf shops and I see these Odessey and Scotty Camerons and I just don't see the justification in paying $150-$200.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Rushville wrote: I go to golf shops and I see these Odessey and Scotty Camerons and I just don't see the justification in paying $150-$200.
Where the hell do you get Camerons that cheap!?! :lol:

Actually, this is the putter I currently use a Cameron Newport Teryllium just like this

I got this with some prize money I won in a tournament. Guy I play best ball with always told me to "buy something with your prize money that you'd never go out and pay cash for". Well, I sure wouldn't pay $280 cash for it, but that's what it cost me in gift certificate money. I love the feel and balance of the putter.

Occasionally I'll revert back to my old Ping II, but it doesn't feel nearly as nice as my Scotty.

The best putter I ever owned was an old T-Line Titleist that was stolen from my bag about 15 years ago. I've searched high and low looking for the same model but haven't had any luck. I was deadly with that bad boy.
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Hmmm.....let me think.....how often do I change putters.....

Oh, that's right.....

WHENEVER SOME JACKASS HEISTS MY FREAKING BAG OUT OF MY TRUCK WHEN I TURN AROUND FOR A MINUTE!!!!

OK, sorry.....what were we talking about? Oh -- I'd still be swinging my brass Anser w/insert if I still had it. I'm still so heartbroken about it, I feel like I'm cheating on it by playing with something else. I've been using this janky ambidexterous begginer thing from probably the 60's, that I have no idea where it came from. I think I'm still using it to punish myself for letting the other one(a gift, which made it my baby) get away.

Tell you what though, damn thing is so light, that it really makes me focus on keeping the wrists and arm straight fundementally, rather than relying on the weight of the club/inertia to do it.

I think I'll be buying another Anser soon, though. Might go with brass again, I'm not sure. Might have to go fart with them at the pro shop soon. I noticed Chris DiMarco was using the exact same one in the Masters. Not even sure if they still make that same one, since Ping seems addicted to changing them all the time. Golf bud of mine has one of the oldies with the zip code and all that.....cool.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Dins

you can GET the exact model of Ping Anser that you want...since it was "brass"

they'll make it for you....yes, it will come with some COIN...but they will do it.

sounds like you had model Anser "F"...Anser with aluminum PIXLES.

if you're interested...i have a 4*flat Anser with TITANIUM PIXLS sitting in my store right now.

remember...PING Putters have a Price.

i'll be semi-reasonable with what i have...and you should expect to pay 150-200 if you re-order exactly what you "had."

MOOSE out Front should've told you that i run a golf shop...and, oh yeah...i'm a PING Custom Fitter with access to all of the bells and whistles too.

once again...you're SIG Applies!
January 1, 2010....we're having DUCK for Dinner...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Gee, QBert, it never occurred to me that I might be able to get one from PING.

But actually, I didn't know the model #, and I think you just helped me(that's almost kinda what we're here for, isn't it?). I knew that those weren't actually pure brass, I(and others) always just called them that. Didn't know they called the insert thingies "pixles," and I wasn't sure of the material. I assume we're talking about the same thing -- the insert has kind of a honeycomb pattern to it.......you know what I mean. And it had that kind of.....having trouble finding the word......that "sparkly/prism" look to the pixles?

At any rate, I'm still enduring my self-imposed punishment for being dumb and not watching my stuff. I'm pretty sure I'll be sporting another Anser soon, though. Again, it was a gift from a golf bud, and it was the one club I was really pissed off about losing. So, since I LOVED the putter, I want another, also as a gesture towards the guy who gave it to me.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Used to have an Acushnet Bullseye mallet. It had a brass face surrounded by aluminum. Best putter I ever had.

Like Dins, I lost it when my whole bag got lifted (about 17 years ago). That bag also had my all-time favorite set of woods - Hillerich and Bradsby Powerbilt solid persimmon. Those woods were a freakin' work of fine art. :evil:

The one I have now is a Bullseye-like flanged blade that I've used since the last one got ripped. It works just fine for me. All this fuckin' weird putting gadget shit is guaranteed not to make you putt any better, but if it makes you feel good then fine, and it helps stimulate the economy.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Rushville wrote:That's another good topic. How much do you spend on putters?
Until I am consisteintly shooting in the mid to high 70s, I don't see the need to go hog wild spending for any club in my bag. My irons are a set of used Tommy Armour 845s I picked up for 150 dollars in a consignment barrel at a local shop. My driver is a Calaway Steelhead that I bought on sale for 100 bucks from Dicks. The wedges I can't even remember the brand name of my 60% and 64% wedges off the top of my head. They were Christmas presents from my in-laws. And my 3 and 5 woods are 25 year old steel shafted beasts with a steel sheel and a wooden insert that need some serious regripping but have a swing weight that I am just very used to. The brand? I don't know.

Yea, I'm a cheapskate. :wink:

BTW: Are golf courses in Indy open in mid/late November? My wife is dragging my ass out to Indy for a wedding, and I was wondering if I should pack the clubs.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:Gee, QBert, it never occurred to me that I might be able to get one from PING.
Did it ever occur to you that you might be able to find it elsewhere?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 98423&rd=1

Don't know that it's the same as what you had.....

But ebay rocks.
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just about like that, Felix.

I've browsed e-bay for them before. Always figured I could get one for $30-40. Who knows, might go retro, and get one with the zip code(the really early Ansers had the adress of the plant where they were made on them).

We'll see.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

BSmack wrote:
BTW: Are golf courses in Indy open in mid/late November? My wife is dragging my ass out to Indy for a wedding, and I was wondering if I should pack the clubs.
Open? Yes. But the weather in November here is a roll of the dice. I wouldn't bet that it will be worth playing then, unless we get a hell of an Indian summer.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Re: Putters

Post by fix »

Rushville wrote:How often do you change putters?

Every time you have a bad putting round?
Every time you lose feel with the one you've got?
Me, I fall under the category of every time I lose feel with the one I've got. I've gone through all of two putters over the last 8 years.
That would be me as of yesterday.

I started to lose the feel of my longtime putter towards the end of last season and even though I didn't putt all that badly on my vacation in January..

After yesterday's abortion.. it's time to try something new.

Unwar having a John Daley-esque scorecard.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Last two times out, I've played some of the worse golf of my life.

A while back, as I might have mentioned, I blew my back up in a big way. The discomfort was so great, the only way I could keep my mind off it was to attempt to rehab it......by golfing. Catch was, that it was such a drawn out ordeal, that I really changed my swing to compensate for having no flexibility in my hips or back. Well, the back got better......the swing hasn't yet. It got to where I was pretty much just arm-swinging, which kinda sucks. Now, my back feels better than it has in years, but the body parts just aren't doing what they're supposed to. One stroke, the hips fire through wayyyyyy too early. Next, they're late. I mean, if I were making the same mistake consistently, I could work on it, but I'm not. I'm spraying those suckers every which way. Then, I get flustered, and start overthinking the whole timing thing, and I doubt that anyone here would argue what an absolute killer overthinking is in golf. Just do what you know how to do, right? Well, it's like I don't know how to do it anymore.

I WILL get better. Bet the freaking rent on that.

So, what you guys are saying, is that I can get a new putter, and blame all of my numerous problems on the old putter, and I'm absolved of the last few months of extreme sucking?

I freaking LOVE you guys. You made my day. New putter, here I come!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote: I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
I WILL get better.
Oh God and GOD, please please please please please let me break 80 again, just once.
I promise from now on only to beat off on Saturdays.
And Mondays if it's a four day weekend.

Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Felix wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Gee, QBert, it never occurred to me that I might be able to get one from PING.
(yes, i was trying to HELP you.)

Did it ever occur to you that you might be able to find it elsewhere?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 98423&rd=1

Don't know that it's the same as what you had.....

But ebay rocks.
didn't click on the e-bay link...BUT!--->obviously, that's a Great place to search.

because i usually don't make myself clear at this time of the evening....i'll spell it out.

PING will re-make anything for you....EXCEPT For:

~anything made with beryillium copper, or Nickel. (single iron replacement--->if they still have an existing clubhead only)

~i doubt if they'll make a titanium Pixl Putter...it was an Anniversary Edition for them....Plus, the Company--->PIXL Golf spun off of that design.

So, because your Putter was Brass (not copper or nickel)...you should be able to order it...if you can't FIND it.

just here to help....and,

RACK MIKEY!

:lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

'Preciate it, Qbert.

Speaking of beryllium-copper, I have a Ram 55 degree(given to me when the clubs got stolen). First time I've used one. Neat feel to that sucker.