Why don't we talk about good health for a change?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Why don't we talk about good health for a change?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Can we get an expert (like AP) in here to get a ruling on women's sizes?
Rack
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Can we get an expert (like AP) in here to get a ruling on women's sizes?
Rack
AP can speak to the Plus sizes.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

KC Scott wrote:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: The Hell you say. I am 43... and I

a.)work out harder
b.)am much stronger

...than 10-15 years ago. It's harder for me to keep my body fat low. That I will grant you. Way harder. :brad:
^^^ No smack intended, but were you an athlete 10-15 years ago or was working out something you picked up later in life?

I know some people who fit that description and they got stronger / leaner beacuse they started working out

Props either way
There is nothing odd about being at your strongest at 43. I would think that many life long athletic types can say this. At 50, that prolly won't be the case anymore.

The things that start going south during your 30s are speed and recuperative powers, especially recuperative powers. :(
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Python wrote:The elbow was caused by poor form. No question about it. The others were probably because of too much weight, but one time I pulled something from doing freaking pull ups, for cryin' out loud. The same things I've been doing forever suddenly seem to cause injuries. Guess I need to just back off from everything a little. No more lifting to failure. High reps doesn't help build muscle but I guess I should count myself lucky I don't have any serious health issues. You know, death type stuff.
What you really need to do is stop running. Your knees have been telling you this for awhile.

Take up cycling. Your knees will thank you.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

I'm afraid cycling will cause my badonk a donk hole to start hurting after a while. Anybody have any experience with an elliptical? I just don't see anything burning the calories like running, but I know you're right.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Python wrote:I just don't see anything burning the calories like running

Running 10 miles, walking 10 miles, and biking 10 miles all burn about the same number of calories, apart from some variations in how much energy goes into bouncing, and mechanical loss through the bike.

Physics is funny like that.

Of course, the faster you burn those calories dictates the amount of cardio benefit you get, but the calories burned are very close.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Now tell me about the badonk a donk!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Choose your seat wisely.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Rack
AP can ONLY speak to the Plus sizes.
fixed
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Python wrote:Now tell me about the badonk a donk!
For general fitness, these things work pretty well.

They cost about $1,000 but they last forever. I have an earlier model that I've been using for prolly 12 years and the only thing I've had to replace is the monitor (last year).
Your butt can get sore after awhile but the badonk a donk isn't affected at all.

The monitor is set up to display heart rate along with a lot of other useful feedback, like strokes per minute, equivalent meters, calories burned, etc.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Python wrote:I'm afraid cycling will cause my badonk a donk hole to start hurting after a while. Anybody have any experience with an elliptical? I just don't see anything burning the calories like running, but I know you're right.
The elliptical eliminates the impact on your knees you get when running.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Jsc810 wrote:
Get in the swimming pool, my friend.
Try swinging a 5 lb. mattock around for awhile.

You can even get some constructive work done.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The mattock (good word) is kind of the antithesis to a low-impact workout, I'm thinking.

Gets holes dug, though.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:The mattock (good word) is kind of the antithesis to a low-impact workout, I'm thinking.

Gets holes dug, though.

Maybe not "low-impact" but not hard on the knees either.

It'll get your heart rate, respiration and sweat going right quick too.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

That's one of those sex machines, right?

Scott, did you go from running to an elliptical? How do you like it?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

KC Scott wrote:
smackaholic wrote:
There is nothing odd about being at your strongest at 43. I would think that many life long athletic types can say this. At 50, that prolly won't be the case anymore.

The things that start going south during your 30s are speed and recuperative powers, especially recuperative powers.
Maybe muscle endurance is a better description of what fails
In my case I used 225 on the bench - 3 sets of 6-8 throughout most of my 30s.

When i blew up my shoulder, I was trying to get the 3rd rep of my first set at that weight when I heard (felt) the pop
I believe endurance does drop off a bit too, but, not like speed and recuperative powers. Your shoulder blowing out was probably just plain old wear and tear and possibly bad technique/luck.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

And girlie strength.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:

Running 10 miles, walking 10 miles, and biking 10 miles all burn about the same number of calories, apart from some variations in how much energy goes into bouncing, and mechanical loss through the bike.

Of course, the faster you burn those calories dictates the amount of cardio benefit you get, but the calories burned are very close.
Bullshit.

Walking/running are likely fairly close, calorically speaking over a given distance.

Cycling, not so much.

Cycling is a number of times more efficient. It's not even up for debate. I read somewhere that the most efficient animal at covering a distance is a condor. Give a human a decent bike and he absolutely smokes the condor.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Py, Sorry about your badonk a donk. Perhaps you might consider a recumbent bike.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Python wrote: That's one of those sex machines, right?
Careful.
If Marty sees this he's likely to start posting James Brown videos.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Thanks, dude. 30 minutes running = 30 minutes elliptical?

And why is everybody recommending a bike? You homos just dying to see something up my butt?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Bullshit.

Walking/running are likely fairly close, calorically speaking over a given distance.

Cycling, not so much.

Cycling is a number of times more efficient. It's not even up for debate. I read somewhere that the most efficient animal at covering a distance is a condor. Give a human a decent bike and he absolutely smokes the condor.

While my statement was (intentionally) grossly oversimplified, discarding a bunch of factors, such as energy absorption of energy in the impact of the foot on the ground and the knees, aerodynamic drag, and entropy in general, which effects the efficiency of each form of movement...

Silly me -- I'd forgotten that those damn liberals in Congress had repealed the laws of thermodynamics :thisiswherethefuckingrolleyesgoes:

But I'm sure you can find a ridiculously erronious "calories burned" chart somewhere that says otherwise -- and those people didn't pass a physics class, either.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Dinsdale wrote:While my statement was (intentionally) grossly oversimplified
Hey...wait a minute.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
While my statement was (intentionally) grossly oversimplified, discarding a bunch of factors, such as energy absorption of energy in the impact of the foot on the ground and the knees, aerodynamic drag, and entropy in general, which effects the efficiency of each form of movement...

Silly me -- I'd forgotten that those damn liberals in Congress had repealed the laws of thermodynamics :thisiswherethefuckingrolleyesgoes:

But I'm sure you can find a ridiculously erronious "calories burned" chart somewhere that says otherwise -- and those people didn't pass a physics class, either.
Pretty sure that riding a bike is a lot more efficient "thermodynamically" (and even moreso, mechanically) than running. Just a hunch, though. Consider, on flat ground, how far a bike will go (including rolling out) on the energy it takes to make a couple of steps. There's not much friction combined between a bicycle tire and the ground, and the friction in the bearings. Most of the leg energy of a bike rider is converted directly, through the mechanics of levers, sprockets, chains, etc. into translational motion. A runner has a lot of shit going on that doesn't go into forward motion. Think of how much energy is lost every time your foot hits the ground while running. Also, a lot of energy is spent picking up your feet and putting them down. With bicycle pedals you're generating rotational motion, and none of the energy is wasted.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

KC Scott wrote:My wife, on the otherhand, says it hurts her knees to use it so she does treadmill instead
Not for nothing, but this really doesn't make any sense. The repeated force of your body weight on your joints is what causes the stress. And it's the same as running outside or on a treadmill. Running should hurt her knees more than an elliptical.

But whatever. If she's pain free doing one thing opposed to the other, that's all that really matters.

P.S. If you want to increase your calories burned, check out an Arc Trainer. It's supposed to be even better for you (less stress on your back because there's less lean involved) than an elliptical.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Mikey wrote: Think of how much energy is lost every time your foot hits the ground while running.
What everyone is not getting. Joint impact from running is bad. Impact from bicycle is much less.

Ask one or a thousand orthopedic bone cutters..is this bad for me ? Yes it is..but go ahead and keep doing it, I need a new BMW this year, and your knees are going to get me there.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Pretty sure that riding a bike is a lot more efficient "thermodynamically" (and even moreso, mechanically) than running. Just a hunch, though. Consider, on flat ground, how far a bike will go (including rolling out) on the energy it takes to make a couple of steps. There's not much friction combined between a bicycle tire and the ground, and the friction in the bearings. Most of the leg energy of a bike rider is converted directly, through the mechanics of levers, sprockets, chains, etc. into translational motion. A runner has a lot of shit going on that doesn't go into forward motion. Think of how much energy is lost every time your foot hits the ground while running. Also, a lot of energy is spent picking up your feet and putting them down. With bicycle pedals you're generating rotational motion, and none of the energy is wasted.

I alluded to the various losses in the various forms of going down the road.

But the bottom line still remains, it takes X amount of energy * to move Y amount of distance Z amount of feet, of course multiplied by the efficiency factor, which has so many variables, we really shouldn't even get into it.

Then you get into how your body becomes less efficient the higher your heart rate gets, and it's a nightmare.

So bottom line -- I'll keep riding mybike because I enjoy it and it gets me places.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

KC Scott wrote:that was the end of the discussion.
Yes. Isn't it funny how that works? :lol:

With regard to the differences. There's a much bigger range of motion. Think... taking larger steps.

And as I said, there's less lean involved, so the stress on your lower back should be diminished. But if it ain't broke, by all means, you certainly don't have to fix it. It'll feel weird at first too. And you probably won't like it. But if you ever want to try something new, I'd give it a whirl.

For me, I have to do different shit or else I get bored. Stairs. Elliptical. Treadmill (or running outside in nice weather.) Arc Trainer.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Python wrote:Image

That's one of those sex machines, right?

Scott, did you go from running to an elliptical? How do you like it?
Rack the Concept II!

Best machine for an aerobic workout.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:For me, I have to do different shit or else I get bored. Stairs. Elliptical. Treadmill (or running outside in nice weather.) Arc Trainer.

While I'm no personal trainer, and never will be, I forgot to include my biggest point -- do whatever you enjoy the most, provided it doesn't hurt (there's some homosmack buried in there somewhere).

On a bike, you get to see more of the world. In a gym, I suppose you get to see hot chicks, but that's offset by the ucantdoitScottystyle asking you to steam with them.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Diego in Seattle wrote:Image

Rack the Iron Kids Premiere 100!

Best playground for an aerobic workout.

Dude...
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
KC Scott wrote:I go WI on business.

Based on the size of the average Wisconsin women I've seen, I understand why he would think size 5 is a kids size
Nice try. Check this out:

http://chartsbin.com/view/562

Fattest States Ranking - 2011
Missouri 11
Kansas 15
Wisconsin 25

How tall is your wife Scott? My wife is 5'7", under 120 lbs and wears a size 6.

Yeah - but she's 94.
And still tight.

R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: It'll feel weird at first too. And you probably won't like it. But if you ever want to try something new, I'd give it a whirl.
Worst attempt at getting her to do anal. Ever.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

KC Scott wrote:My 40 minutes are L14 at 85+ rpm
Um...ok. Does it go to 11?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

This thready pretty much makes me not want to get as old as you fucks. I have really shitty knees - at age 35- and I'm likely speeding up the process of knee replacement by a number of years but fuck it. I love to run so I might as well enjoy it while I can.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

I'll leave the "banging noise" softball for someone else.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for that? And if you do mind, how much did you pay for that?
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I just started a diet on Monday. Nothing fancy, just counting calories. I set my daily limit at 2000. I had several drinks last night and came as close as I have to going over my limit, but by the time I went to bed, I was still only at 1900 and change. Every other day since Monday, I've been under 1700.

I'm currently 6'4", weight 231 lbs. and I'm shaped like a pear. My goal is to get down to 190. I plan on mixing in some exercise too, eventually, but I'm trying to take baby steps and not get overwhelmed. So far, so good. It's funny how people try to bring you down, though. Everybody seems to think they know the "right" way to lose weight, and it's usually way more complicated than just eating fewer calories than you burn. I showed my sister the rice crackers I bought at Trader Joe's that only have 110 calories per 1 oz. serving and zero fat. She's like "But look at all that sodium." :meds:

Incidentally, those little digital scales you can buy at a head shop come in really handy when you're doing any kind of portion control...
"Keys, woman!"
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

I do 3 private 45 min clinical Pilates + powerplate then head to the gym to do 20 min of cardio on the Bike or Eliptical
& on the other days I do 45min of cardio at the gym with extra stretch time
I don't smoke, rarely drink & have a mostly vegetarian diet that includes seafood, no Cows milk based dairy though I do have some goats cheese as goats milk is more compatible with our physiology
I've shed 20kgs in the last year but still want to drop another 15kgs, but I don't stress about it as long as I'm healthy fit & strong that's the most important thing.
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Everybody seems to think they know the "right" way to lose weight, and it's usually way more complicated than just eating fewer calories than you burn.
No, it's not. It really is that simple.

Not saying it's easy, or that there are not countless ways to get there, but, it is a simple matter of burning more than you consume.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote: While my statement was (intentionally) grossly oversimplified, discarding a bunch of factors, such as energy absorption of energy in the impact of the foot on the ground and the knees, aerodynamic drag, and entropy in general, which effects the efficiency of each form of movement...

Nice attempt at a backpedal going to the 'I intentionally grossly oversimplified i't card, but, it doesn't fly.

You said all three methods burned roughly the same amount of calories, as a direct response to Py's comment about burning calories.

BTW, "ridiculously erronious" is almost sig worthy.