Selection Sunday

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Selection Sunday

Post by Screw_Michigan »

St. Bonaventure has the A-10's Player of the Year in Andrew Hutchinson and he's single handedly kicking the shit out of Xavier on both ends of the court. X has it within 10 but they were down by 17 at one point in the first half.

Florida State is up 8 in the 2nd half against UNC, but I haven't been paying any attention to that game. I only care about the A-10 game.

At 3:30pm the Spartans will dry fuck Ohio State because Thad Matta's got a bunch of mentally soft big men and they wilt under pressure.

What a great day for sports!
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Re: Selection Sunday

Post by Bizzarofelice »

FSU/ UNC game is pretty good. Except the refs are letting FSU foul without a whistle. I would be rooting against the heels but the refs are making it difficult.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bwah. Rack FSU. Take that Roy Williams, you piece shit.

I would like for someone to explain to me how St. Fucking Bonaventure can get the A-10 Player of the Year and GW can't even get sloppy seconds. Not one single player on any of the end of year teams.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Joe Lunardi is saying winner of MSU-OSU should be the last #1 seed while a 30 win Mizzou team is relegated to a #2.

Fuck him and the platform shoes he rode in on.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Yeah, but Joe 'di's latest bracket has us as the #2 in St. Louis - which is the prize we wanted all along. Far better than Atlanta and UNC, where he had us slotted yesterday. Beakers get shipped to Phoenix, btw...

And yes, I realize that we will most likely draw Kentucky in the final should we be so fortunate as to make it that far... Gotta beat the best to be the best, regardless. I like our chances in our home state.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I'd be pretty happy if Mizzou played in St. Louis. I work near the Scottrade and watched the fans walkabout during the MVC tournament. Lots of folks rockin' the colors and excited to see the tourney. Lots of fun. Look forward to see it happen for Mizzou.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

KC was off the chain this weekend, Bace. S'why giving up the XII was so hard on us west-siders. Tough to beat a 20 minute commute to watch your favorite team compete for a tournament championship every March. Mixing it up with fans of our opposing conference mates at near-by watering holes didn't suck either. Really hope you guys get the Tigers in your backyard in a couple of weeks...
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Fuck.

Screwed by the Committee yet again. Would it kill those people to just one time - one time - seed us close to home?

But no. We're Missouri. You'll take your #2 in the West and like it. Or the South. Or the East. Anywhere but the Midwest.

Fuck.

Aight. Let's hoop it up.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Michigan drops to a 4 but I think they can at least get out of the opening weekend but they'll die against Carolina.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Michigan vs. Ohio? I think Brady Hoke's head just exploded.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Michigan vs. Ohio? I think Brady Hoke's head just exploded.

:lol: :hfal:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

War Wagon wrote:Joe Lunardi is saying winner of MSU-OSU should be the last #1 seed while a 30 win Mizzou team is relegated to a #2.

Fuck him and the platform shoes he rode in on.
Lunardi's a tool, but in fairness, he doesn't predict what he thinks should happen, he predicts what the committee will do.

Mizzou is 1 seed caliber, but MSU's overall resume is pretty beastly. Conference champs, conference tourney champs (in the #1 rated conference) and #1 SOS in the nation. If that's not enough for a 1 seed, something is seriously wrong with the system.

That said, you know my feelings on Mizzou. I really like this team, and hope to see a Mizzou/MSU Elite 8. That would be a great matchup.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Have to admit that I feel Mizzou got screwed as well.

I am actually in deep thought about whether or not they may win the national title. Their long standing history of being the biggest program to choke in the tourney every opportunity they get really concerns me as much at their ability to play with Kentucky, UNC, or Syracuse op the court in a one off. . .
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Mizzou is 1 seed caliber, but MSU's overall resume is pretty beastly. Conference champs, conference tourney champs (in the #1 rated conference) and #1 SOS in the nation. If that's not enough for a 1 seed, something is seriously wrong with the system.
What bugs me is that the conference tourney's seemingly don't matter.... unless they do.

Kentucky, Syracuse, North Carolina all lose and retain #1 seeds. Kansas was projected as a #1, they lose and are out. MSU wins theirs, they're in. Mizzou wins theirs, oops, sorry. Your SOS sucks.

Nevermind that Mizzou went into the week ranked #5, every team ahead of them lost. Rankings don't mean anything either... unless they do.

:?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Truman wrote:Fuck.

Screwed by the Committee yet again. Would it kill those people to just one time - one time - seed us close to home?

But no. We're Missouri. You'll take your #2 in the West and like it. Or the South. Or the East. Anywhere but the Midwest.

Fuck.

Aight. Let's hoop it up.
If it makes you feel any better, they gave us a second-round road game at Duke, for all intensive purposes. And Louisville got screwed pretty mightily as well -- going to Portland (which plays at the same time as the Louisville pod site, IIRC), and a second-round matchup against a team (New Mexico/Long Beach State winner) that will be considerably closer to home than they are.

At least we got sent to Chicago last year, not that it helped us any. And that's the point -- regardless where they send you, you still have to win the games.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

don't know if Mizzou was going for an easier schedule or if the teams that they scheduled long ago turned out to be worse than they was s'posed ta be.

but the RPI thing is silly. you could use it when comparing similar records, but the committee weren't comparin' no similar records. if mizzou was a 7 loss team, then compare them to other 6, 7 and 8 loss teams using whatever tools. Mizzou was a 4 loss team. use RPI to compare them to similar teams.

I understand the committee has a system and all the schools should know it and schedule accordingly. hopefully Mizzou gets more "not-so-bad" patsies to start the year next year. the 340 RPI teams killed us when we would be a #1 if we played more 250 RPI teams to start the season... and got the same damned W for the effort. our home and home with Cal is over. don't know if ND or ODU is a home and home. scheduled for a preseason tournament* against anyone good next year?

*twunuhment for those who speak Diggerese
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mizzou's OOC schedule was pretty weak, probably in preparation for the move to the SEC. The committee was unanimous on the top 8 and unanimous on the 1 and 2 seeds.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Tigers got a good draw despite being relegated to the West.

The selection committee sucks balls nonetheless. As toothless as a Goobs insipid cutnpaste.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:Tigers got a good draw despite being relegated to the West.

The selection committee sucks balls nonetheless. As toothless as a Goobs insipid cutnpaste.
OK, Cletus, go ahead and link to where that was copied from.

Might be a common sentiment, nonetheless.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

I really like Mizzery to take it all. Their game reminds me of the old UNLV teams.

That being said... Cal really got screwed from some "home-cooking" when Cal went to play them in KC.

Cal had the lead after the first 5 minutes... then the "cooking" came into play with Cal getting 15 fouls called on them over the next 15 minutes and having Cal's top 2 players being fouled out of the game while Mizzery never was called for a foul in the last 15 minutes of the first half of the game.

Cal basically quit once they realized they were down by 20 at halftime and didn't have their top 2 players in the game.

Cal can only bring in 2 players off the bench... so it was game over.

Conclusion... If they were to meet again... Mizzery still beats Cal easily...

I love Mizzou's game and think they have too much speed and guard play for any team in the country outside of UNLV.

This could be the Tigers year... finally.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

War Wagon wrote:[Nevermind that Mizzou went into the week ranked #5, every team ahead of them lost. Rankings don't mean anything either... unless they do.
Missouri's BPI (7) and RPI (10) says they are not a Top 5 team. Hence, no #1 seed. This year's #1 seeds are ranked 1-4 in the RPI. Does the fact that the selection committee does NOT use the polls when determining seeding really come as a surprise to you?

[/Cris Carter]Come on, man....[/Cris Carter]
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Not going out on a big limb here but the champ will come out of the Big XII or the Big Ten...still haven't decided who my pick will be but that's my lean.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Just as long as Kuntucky doesn't win it all... I will consider this year a success.

Assuming we can get past Iowa St (don't know a thing about this club), the Huskies will have a shot at those assholes. In Kuntucky, of course. :waz:

Fuck Coach Cal. Fuck those inbred Hillbillies.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I have UK in my Final Four but will be rooting like hell for you guys to knock them off...assuming you get past ISU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Just don't see a lot of upsets this year. Here's what I'm rolling with in the first round, 8/9 games excluded:

New Mexico St over Indiana
Virginia over Florida
Harvard over Vandy
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Speaking of clockwork (yeah. we weren't) ... why is it every year teams like Dook, Kansas, Kuntucky, and Carolina get all the fanfare.... then St Patty's Day rolls around, and here comes Sparty, hiding in the weeds all year, poised for yet another fucking trip to the Final Four.

Fucking Izzo, man.

Yes. I am still pissed about 2009.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Probly because they don't generally head into March with a big, shiny 1 seed. Even now, it seems like more "experts" are picking Mizzou to come out of the West...which is fine by me, they are certainly capable. But Izzo has gotten MSU to Final Fours with considerably inferior teams that were limited in what they could do. This year's team is versatile and can play any style or pace of game. They prefer to run and will push whenever possible, but can do the prodding, half court pound it in the paint thing if need be. It's all good. All I know is you best hit your jumpers, because they will crush you on the boards. They also use their depth to wear down teams, so if you're only rolling with 7 guys or so, that could be problematic.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: but can do the prodding, half court pound it in the paint thing if need be.
Big Ten isn't overly represented in the West. New Mexico would be the closest to this.

and M2, how much of the 30 points Cal lost by was "home cooking". Mizzou draws a lot of fouls everywhere. good free throw shooters. Cal quit in the first half of that game. and for the majority of the season.

Mizzou's OOC is a combo of people who were s'posed to be much better ('Nova, Cal, ND, ODU) and patsies that were weaker than other teams patsies. also, the head coach joined the team in April and the previous coach didn't leave him wih a schedule completed. article in kcstar today outlined that. in conference provided ample opportunities to face top 25 and top 50 teams. you know... the type in a tournament of this nature.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the whole pod system is stupid and made for TV. send the #1 seed to Ogden, Utah to play Mississippi Valley State....to play in a cold ass gym. NEUTRALIZE home court advantage. let's see sport, not made for TV entertainment. equal playing fields. gyms are empty in the first rounds anyway. seats are paid for maybe...but hell.

let the best team win, not the venues make more money. protect the high seeds and name teams. in the era of "picking a beer ad bracket"....fuckin come on...cinderella blah blah blah.

MU fan can't complain too much. they'd played home games in the conference tournament for years...

really. all respect to KC and the excitement there vs. the snoozer Dallas sometimes XII event.

Norm's "miracle" runs in the tournament were helped along by a home court gym. maybe you guys were #2 in Kemper....but, it took a lot for anyone else to have a chance.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:the whole pod system is stupid and made for TV. send the #1 seed to Ogden, Utah to play Mississippi Valley State....to play in a cold ass gym. NEUTRALIZE home court advantage. let's see sport, not made for TV entertainment. equal playing fields. gyms are empty in the first rounds anyway. seats are paid for maybe...but hell.

let the best team win, not the venues make more money. protect the high seeds and name teams. in the era of "picking a beer ad bracket"....fuckin come on...cinderella blah blah blah.

MU fan can't complain too much. they'd played home games in the conference tournament for years...

really. all respect to KC and the excitement there vs. the snoozer Dallas sometimes XII event.

Norm's "miracle" runs in the tournament were helped along by a home court gym. maybe you guys were #2 in Kemper....but, it took a lot for anyone else to have a chance.
Not really from Oklahoma just attended OU and really never cared for much other than OU there. Having said that, the year I went to the conference tourney in OKC it was a masterpiece. Had the men's tourney at the Ford Center and the Women's at the Old Myriad (Guess they are just calling it the Civic Center now); not to mention bricktown and the Canal right there.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Big XII conference baseball tournament was also a lot of fun in OKC. I know a guy here in Denver who does some sports management type stuff and says OKC is always very highly thought of by the NCAA peeps and, as a result, is on the shortlist to host regionals...as it has done many times.

bricktown and the canal are a big success for sure. before that downtown OKC was pretty bleak.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Just don't see a lot of upsets this year.
Syracuse is vulnerable with Melo ineligible. He's not their best player, but may be their most irreplaceable. They're a completely different team with him out of the lineup -- ND fan knows that very well.

I'm not saying they'll drop against a 16 seed, but I think they're pretty vulnerable anytime after that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

They were vulnerable without Melo, and I had them losing in the S16 prior to that bit of news. There are certain programs/coaches I don't trust in March and Cuse/Boeheim is one.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Cal gonna lose big tonight. Must be bad refs that keep them losing big all year.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Congrats to Mucho and the Bulls... on a nice 11 point win.

This was without question the worst loss I've ever seen in over 40 years of watching Cal basketball.

I've never seen Cal play this bad...

I knew it was over when Cal couldn't hit wide open shots and a guy that shoots under 30%... hits a 3 off the backboard with a few seconds on the clock... for south Florida

Cal hasn't been the same... since losing their 7 foot monster and fly swatter due to academics.

I'm going to root for south Florida from here on out... but, I don't think this team will be able to make 70% of their of shots in another basketball game ... let alone a game of horse .

We were outclassed... and got smoked

Fun game... for the Bulls

Not so much for Cal.

Go Bulls !!!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I was pretty surprised at how well we played on the offensive end of things. I know we're not going to see that kind of shooting percentage as we move along, but one thing that is going to be constant is going to be our tough D.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

That USF team looked familiar from somewhere. :mrgreen:

Stan Heath coached those boys up right. I wish I could change my pick in my office pool to USF over Temple.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:That USF team looked familiar from somewhere. :mrgreen:
I was thinking the same thing. Hope we can continue this type of play.

It helps having this momentum now and any worries about how we blew that game last week against ND are long gone.
Dreams......Temporary Madness