Bama vs. LSU - In game thread

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Re: Bama vs. LSU - In game thread

Post by Atomic Punk »

I've been waiting for weeks for this game and it SUCKED! Rack 88's take.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

MMmmmmmm.......................... beer nuts.
What were we just talking about?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Both defenses are great...I'd love to see either of them matchup with a freak show offense like Okie State or Boise State but I don't want to see this matchup again. That was as much of a defensive stalemate as you can have but Bama's awful kicking game cost them. LSU did just enough to get by...I really like their pair of bruising backs. Lee was awful and Jefferson looked pretty good running the option in the first half before Bama started to take that away.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

wasn't the game I expected by any stretch.....both defenses are nightmarishly good-the offenses, eh not so much...both offenses seemed to be playing like they were afraid to make a mistake instead of playing like they wanted to win....

but if you like defense, that was definitely a win/win
get out, get out while there's still time
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

The media here is uncharacteristically going after Sabot this morning.

They wonder why he didn't use Richardson more.

They also question calling for the wildcat pass that was intercepted(?) at the goal line.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Carson wrote:The media here is uncharacteristically going after Sabot this morning.

They wonder why he didn't use Richardson more.

They also question calling for the wildcat pass that was intercepted(?) at the goal line.
This is very cool to hear. Alabama has a very good offense and for LSU to shut it down I'm impressed. I don't want to see this again either.

Since LSU is in the driver's seat for the (for Dins) the BCS NC then I would like Oklahoma beat Okie State and see Stanford play LSU. I would like to see what an NFL QB on loan would do with that LSU defense.

shutyomouth, I don't get what you are talking about by people liking their conferences. I've always said the SEC is the best conference and I love watching them when they show the games out here on the West coast.

BTW, Pat Hill may lose his job after a horrible performance against a shitty team La Tech team here last night. I doubt former QB and OC Jeff Tedford will get fired from Cal but Norm Chow interviewed here when Hill sold himself to the administration. Norm's personality turned off the admins for community support reasons. He has a personality of a stack of rocks but can coach. Pat Hill needs to go and attendance for football games is what keeps all of the sports afloat. Last night only half of the stadium was filled and pretty much empty after halftime. That fucked up Title 9 law to let the girls have their Equestrian team, and other shit sports is pretty much the drain on this State school where all of the assistant coach Like Tedford and Bill McElwain at Alabama leave this shithole.

So, in my closing argument... LSU vs. Stanford would be a fun game to watch in the BCS NC game.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

BSmack wrote:You mean other than the sold out in perpetuity Heinz Field crowd? Or the millions of people who will make the game the most watched sporting event of the weekend? Or maybe the tens of thousands who will gather all over the country to watch the game in bars and at tailgates hundreds and sometimes THOUSANDS of miles away from the game?

Yea, watching the best athletes in the sport compete and execute at the highest level really sucks. :lol:
Wake me the next time we see that kind of hype and atmosphere for an NFL game not named the Super Bowl, and even then, the attention is centered around pretty much everything but the game.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Bad move by the scheduling deciders to have Houston play UAB @ 7pm.

The paid attendance was 13000, but the actual attendees couldn't have been more than a thousand people. It looked like a high school game. Suck for UAB's homecoming.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

DamnTheCowboys wrote: If it's well-played and not full of penalties. Like tonight. I caught only the fourth quarter and then watched as an AWESOME defensive battle got spoiled by the pussy NCAA overtime rules. Just as we were enjoying watching these teams play field position, push each other back towards their own end zone and punt, college football proves once again what a joke it is by ripping away special teams and lining up these two teams at the 25. :meds:

This game was the ultimate example of why college football sucks.
As opposed to the NFL overtime rule where an entire game is basically decided by a fucking coin flip.....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Jsc810 wrote: I was suprised at how much Alabama was able to move the ball against LSU, somehow the Tigers were able to stay in the game, it felt like Bama was moving the ball at will.

Don't be putting LSU in the championship game just yet. Yes, they have earned their spot for the moment, but that Arkansas game is one that always concerns me, Arkansas has beaten LSU over the years and could do so again.
Arkansas is a damn good team but LSU's defense should shut them down. I wasn't surprised that 'Bama could move the ball, but a previous reply (I think Carson) said they were basically playing not to lose. I just don't get why 'Bama played like that as they really should have won.

As for Rumps, that is embarrassing as Houston is a very good team. 13,000 paid in attendance but nobody showed? I haven't seen them play but I hear they are pretty good.

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

The Seer wrote:
DamnTheCowboys wrote: If it's well-played and not full of penalties. Like tonight. I caught only the fourth quarter and then watched as an AWESOME defensive battle got spoiled by the pussy NCAA overtime rules. Just as we were enjoying watching these teams play field position, push each other back towards their own end zone and punt, college football proves once again what a joke it is by ripping away special teams and lining up these two teams at the 25. :meds:

As opposed to the NFL overtime rule where an entire game is basically decided by a fucking coin flip.....
Rack! It makes no sense to play four quarters to a tie and then have the game decided by a process where only one team might get an opportunity to be on offense. The college OT may not be perfect but it beats the hell out of the NFL rule. It's just one more way that the college game is superior to the NFL, imo.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jsc wrote:Image
I'm sorry. Did you say something?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

The Seer wrote:

The team that wins the coin flip wins in OT 55% of the time.

Why would you and Mace even consider that the team that would get the ball first in this game would score first, anyway? Punting and returns were huge elements in this game and part of football in general, and the college rules strip that entire part away in overtime. Give me one good reason why this game ending in a tie would be a bad thing?

The average fan will not accept a tie, and the average fan wants to see a shoot out from the 25 yard line. College football panders to that desire. This would be like a baseball game being tied 0-0 after 9, and letting both teams start the 10th with a man on second base and none out, since they had such a hard dang time hittin' that tough pitchin' tha whole game.

College football blows.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The college OT rules do suck...it was a bad way to end the USC-Stanford game and it was a bad way to end this game. It seems appropriate that another missed FG bit the Tide in the ass in OT. Not often will you see a team miss 4 kicks and still be in a game. This game pretty much came down to a kicking contest and both Bama kickers buckled under the pressure.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Yeah, like I said earlier, the college OT rules aren't perfect but they at least give both teams an equal opportunity to win the game rather than the 55%/45% chances given to the winner/loser of a coin toss. Playing a 5th period, even if it was a shortened period, would be better than sudden death or starting at the 25 yard line.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

sudden death is a joke format. i was kind of OK with ties compared to some hopped up fake situational thing. thing is: i like the current format in high school....but, that's high school.

University presidents would never allow a 5th period in order to protect the sanctity of the scholar-athlete experience....run through the BCS no playoff translator.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

campinfool wrote:My lips are so sore from the Trent Richardson cock sucking fest the announcers were trying to get me to participate in.
If your lips are so sore, it sounds like the announcers were successful in getting you to participate.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

There is no easy solution to OT, imo. I think OT sucks in both college and NFL, but sucks less in college. Pretty much all the elements of the game are there, it’s just on a shortened field: Team A is trying to score a touchdown, and Team B is trying to stop them. Team A only settles for a FG if they have to. In the NFL, Team A wins the coin flip and the strategy is not to score a touchdown, but to get within field goal range. And if Team A makes the field goal, they don’t even have to field a defense, game over. There are less natural elements of the game with the NFL’s OT.

A 5th quarter would seem ideal, but it’s such a physically taxing game, and there’s a decent chance the game will still be tied after that quarter ends. So then what do you do? Playing a 6th quarter doesn’t seem feasible, so would you then resort back to the current OT format? So you’re back where you started.

Hell, the Bama-LSU OT ended in such a fitting way: a missed FG, a defensive stop, then a made field goal. Game over. The OT was a concluding mirror image of regulation.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Alright, I've see the two best defenses go against each other, but now I want to see Oklahoma State win out and watch the best offense in the country play the best defense in the country for the crystal ball. I want to see how Blackmon does against Morris Cliaborne and Tyron Mathieu.

I think its been said before, but I believe both defenses performed out of their minds that night because they knew they had to. I don't think we'd see that kind of performance from either team if they knew McCarron/Lee-Jefferson could move the ball and score points.

I suppose if Okie Lite could'nt get pass OU, then I wouldn't mind seeing Luck try to move the ball against a defense like that.

After Saturday night, though, I firmly believe LSU and Bama are on another level.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

KC Scott wrote:for those that don't follow the NFL - Play off overtime rules were modified - both teams will now be guaranteed a possession unless a TD is scored on the first possession.

In other words, a field goal after winning the coin flip doesn't end it
I forgot about that. That's definitely an improvement.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
KC Scott wrote:for those that don't follow the NFL - Play off overtime rules were modified - both teams will now be guaranteed a possession unless a TD is scored on the first possession.

In other words, a field goal after winning the coin flip doesn't end it
I forgot about that. That's definitely an improvement.
That's an improvement for the postseason but why don't they do it in the regular season?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Go Coogs' wrote:Alright, I've see the two best defenses go against each other
Now you know why it's called "Cougar High"...