Any concerts that it killed you to miss?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Any concerts that it killed you to miss?

Post by At Large »

There are a few of them for me.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave tour
Ohhhhhh... Why? My brother Paul was going to take my twin brother and I to the concert as we were just 15 or 14 at the time. He suddenly because sick a few days before the concert. The day of the concert, my Mom decreed that he wasn't going. The next day, he went into the hospital and had his appendix out. Fucking pussy...

When Stone Temple Pilots was on their first tour, my brother gave me free tickets (he was music director of the college radio station). The Butthole Surfers opened. My friend Monty and I were going to go with me, but he decided to change his oil in his Schiraco. Of course, he didn't have an oil filter wrench and his attempts to get it off with an assorted array of tools that didn't belong doing the job, he was stuck with a VW that had an oil filter with gashes in it stuck on the engine.

Blink 182 - 2000 tour.
I had tickets free of charge from my employer, Sega of America, when I lived near San Fran. They were playing Oakland. A bunch of us were going to go and we all would have backstage passes. I was all set to go when my wife called the day before and said, "Good news! I got off tomorrow night!"
I said, "But I'm going to the Blink 182 concert." She said, "Well, I would think that you'd want to spend it with your wife on your WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!" All of the guys were telling me to ditch her. All of the girls were telling me to stay with the wife. The wife won.

Radiohead - OK Computer tour
My wife was 7 months pregnant and ordered me not to go to Denver for the show, which I heard was awesome, because anything could happen and she didn't want to deliver the kid alone if it came early. The kid didn't and I missed the concert. Kid was born two months later.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

A few years ago Elton John/Billy Joel sold out here in an hour. Could not get tickets. I really wanted to see that one. Almost went while in Vegas but there were only $250 seats left and my friends and I decided we weren't willing to pay that much. We had already paid to see Celine. I know you guys can't stand her, but we had to!
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

First one that comes to mind is Overkill at the Ranch Bowl in Omaha in 92. It was my senior year at Beatrice Senior High and I decided to try out for the class play just to get another picture in the yearbook. I ended up with the fucking lead role and missed that show because I had fucking play practice. Humiliating. My friends got back and said the pit was just ridiculous. People were walking on the ceiling. It still bugs me to this day. I never asked for the lead role. I just wanted to be Howie the Milkman or something. Plus all the theater dorks were all resentful and shit.
"Keys, woman!"
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The Kinks: Back in 1989 they were playing the ice arena at SUNY Oswego. I decided I needed to do a term paper that night. I still hate myself for that call.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

When Radiohead was touring behind "The Bends" I was two hours away from St. Louis in college. Teenage Fanclub was opening for them, and I was big time into Teenage Fanclub but not into Radiohead. In fact, the college radio station received a bunch of tape copies of The Bends, and I was taping other things over them. I didn't go because the capitol rep couldn't get me free tickets (spoiled bitch).

Probably two weeks after the actual show, I finally listened to The Bends. Fell in love. Felt stupid as hell.

Lately there have been tons of shows I wish I went to. Death From Above, Peelander-Z, MF Doom... I just hate the smoky bars, and rap shows usually suck ass.
why is my neighborhood on fire
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

Suede(when Bernard Butler was still in the band) and the Crudberries were doing a joint tour...had an article to write for a newspaper and was on deadline.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Last year I missed The Killers with Now It's Overhead. It was a really cheap show, too. :(
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

BSmack wrote:The Kinks: Back in 1989 they were playing the ice arena at SUNY Oswego. I decided I needed to do a term paper that night. I still hate myself for that call.
I saw the Kinks back in high school.

Bode me.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i missed seeing Junior Wells at teh Fox Theatre in Boulder due to an argument with a gf. had tickets and everything.

he died about 2 months later. inverse, i did see Albert King (and his flying V) about 6 months before he passed.

a friend of mine tried to talk me into going to a show at this lame but very small venue in Boulder that's now a pool/metrosexual bar.....it was like 5 bucks. but, i did something else....i think i took some ecstasy and tried to get over on some girl i knew....unsuccessfully. though, i had no doubt my drug and alchohol suave was irresistable.

but the band was Rage Against the Machine. they played for about 30 minutes. my friend left a message on my machine saying: "these guys are going to be huge". i'm not any rage-head, but it would have been cool to go.

missed seeing the replacements in Norman on the Let it Be tour for some stupid reason. and Husker Du (with the Flaming Lips opening) in 1985--that would have been either Flip Your Wig or Candy Apple Grey. FYW has stood up across time IMHO better among the two.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

Stone Temple Pilots - got rained out. Wienies.

Alice in Chains - Dickheads went to Lallapaloza or some bullshit MTV thing when they were supposed to be opening for Metallica. Bastards.

Ozric Tentacles - Always something; too young, too far away, no money, no transportation, etc. The excuse this year was a combo of too far away and no money. Damn it.

Depeche Mode: World Violation Tour - Too fucking young (14). No adult to drive me there (lived in OK - DM was playing Dallas). This one pisses me off the most as it is my favorite DM album and DM is my favorite group.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KatMode wrote:Alice in Chains - Dickheads went to Lallapaloza or some bullshit MTV thing when they were supposed to be opening for Metallica. Bastards.
Are you kidding?

How can you possibly get mad about that -- it was kind of a running joke. AIC was supposed to open just about every Metallica show in the 90's. I'm not sure they ever made it past about the first 4 shows of a tour, before the drug addictions made them quit.

I saw Jerry Cantrell open for them, so big ups to Jerry for actually showing up.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:The Kinks: Back in 1989 they were playing the ice arena at SUNY Oswego. I decided I needed to do a term paper that night. I still hate myself for that call.
Shit, I remember that place well.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

i had my shot of seeing Jet and the Kings of Leon,but missed out.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

led zepp 1977 even tho i was a punk
mvscals blow monkey spunk
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shit, I remember that place well.
You remember the SUNY Oswego ice arena?

1989-90 Riggs Pig here.

I transfered to Oswego for my last year as an undergrad. It was the most insane drunken, stoned and acid laced year of my life. I went through 3 roomates in a single semester, never missed a Thursday night at Old City Hall or a Saturday night at the Zeta House, converted my dorm room into the weed den of Riggs 2 North and somehow still managed to graduate that May..
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I missed chevelle,and Helmet about 2 months ago. I wanted to see Helmet in the worst way but the concert was on a monday,and I had already used up my PTO.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

The Assassin wrote:I missed chevelle,and Helmet about 2 months ago. I wanted to see Helmet in the worst way but the concert was on a monday,and I had already used up my PTO.
Turns out you should have went anyway since they shitcanned you. :lol:
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Nixhex wrote:
The Assassin wrote:I missed chevelle,and Helmet about 2 months ago. I wanted to see Helmet in the worst way but the concert was on a monday,and I had already used up my PTO.
Turns out you should have went anyway since they shitcanned you. :lol:

No kidding huh? :lol:
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Cosmo Kramer
Troublemaker
Location: Smack dab in the middle of a fucking immigration free-for-all

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

LA Coliseum

Living Color

Guns n Roses

The Rolling Stones

F U C K
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Countless, but one I really regret missing was Bob Marley in Rochester, 1979 or '80.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Re: Any concerts that it killed you to miss?

Post by Justa Heel »

At Large wrote:Blink 182 - 2000 tour.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I take it this one was so pathetic on its own no one had the heart to pile on.

Good thread, though. :wink:
Invictus
H.N.I.C.

Post by Invictus »

Back in 1985, Prince's "Purple Rain" tour came to the Worcester Centrum. I was only 11 and my brother didn't think enough of me to let him tag along. I've seen Prince in recent years but I still am a little bitter about missing him at his performance zenith.

Also, I missed out on going to see the Fugees perform at Emory University in 1994 with the Roots. I suck.
by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:30 am
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:

Right. Because unlike you, I actually respond to Vic. He's a funny poster
Billdong
Elwood

Post by Billdong »

Allman Brothers Band... 2004 @ the Beacon Theater, New York...2004 @ Big Sky Montana... and 2005 @the Beacon Theater....

and..... Allman Brothers Band 2005 in Toronto on August 16th..

The first ones i couldnt get tickets too... the last one i will not be around.
Ruff
Elwood

Post by Ruff »

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... The Who, 1982
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Killed me to miss? Probably not. I can think of one that kinda killed me to attend, though.

Sincerely,
Dimebag
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Re: Any concerts that it killed you to miss?

Post by At Large »

Justa Heel wrote:
At Large wrote:Blink 182 - 2000 tour.

I take it this one was so pathetic on its own no one had the heart to pile on.

Good thread, though. :wink:
Hey, we had backstage passes. It was a company event. It still would have been cool.