cooking web sites

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Re: cooking web sites

Post by Truman »

Pretty much leave it up to the whims of google and then choose the recipe that suits me best, Jsc.

All those you listed, plus food.com, foodnetwork.com (if I happen to be looking for Emeril's or Booby Flay's take on a particular dish) allrecipes.com, cdkitchen.com...

Ethnic/specialty Websites for "authentic" tastes (Thai, Cuban-Carib, Cajun-Crole, Irish, etc.). Big ups to the Calis for enlightening me on Peruvian flavors...

Barbecue Websites to keep up on the latest trends. Had zero knowledge of Santa Maria tri-tip 'til I read about it here and then went looking for it on the Web. We do brisket in the Flyover, but tri tip is a nice change of pace.

Cooks.com blows goats, however.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Agree on cooks.com

I'm still shocked that flyover folks are just recently finding the tri-tip. The true Santa Maria style, sear first, is pretty much idiot proof and the only roast I would do on a gas grill. I prefer to smoke it like you would a brisket, obviously at a fraction of the time. Comes out with even more intense flavor.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

thesmokering.com I use a ton to get new ideas on ways to BBQ and smoke food.

I also go to http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/ quite a bit as well
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I also depend on the google. I’ll download 4 to 6 different recipes for a dish, study them a bit to get an idea of what they are doing, and then combine ideas from different recipes.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Off the top of my head...

Specialty: http://www.winemag.com, http://www.gourmet.com Bored, and looking to fix something different for supper? Some excellent recipes can be found on both of these Web sites.

Barbecue: http://www.kcbs.us Best ‘cue site on the Interwebs. You’ve got to join, but since I grill out/barbecue about 250 days a year, the recipes and links are worth it to me.

Asian: http://www.savorysweetlife.com , http://www.thethaitable.com There’s only about a billion ways to fix pad thai…

Cuban: http://3guysfrommiami.com/food.html Best friggin’ cubano sammie recipe ever.

Cajun/Creole: What I can’t find in my trusty ol’ Justin Wilson cookbook, http://www.realcajunrecipe.com (turducken anybody?) or http://www.emerils.com (barbecue shrimps) have it.

Can't remember the Irish site, but it had a slew of killer Guinness recipes, including the best damn beer-batter fish and chips I've ever eaten.

That NOLA site of yours looks like it needs some serious follow up here on this end - thanks for posting it!
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

R-Jack wrote:Agree on cooks.com

I'm still shocked that flyover folks are just recently finding the tri-tip. The true Santa Maria style, sear first, is pretty much idiot proof and the only roast I would do on a gas grill. I prefer to smoke it like you would a brisket, obviously at a fraction of the time. Comes out with even more intense flavor.
Never saw a genuine tri tip until this spring, Jack. Closest to it was sliced into cheap steaks. Read somewhere that the tri-tip cut was invented by some NoCal Safeway meatcutter back in the 50's. Regardless, I had never seen it here - until the local Price Chopper started carrying it in cry-o-vacs. And remembering you goofs fighting over its correct preparation lead me to try one.

Used the sear/smoke method, and while we don't grow red oak here, the pin oak I smoked it over treated it just fine. Good food, and the thought of it makes me hungry. May have to give it a whirl again over the 4th...
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Truman wrote:Big ups to the Calis for enlightening me on Peruvian flavors...
No doubt. Peruvian grub is fucking awesome. A fantastic blend of Spanish, Italian, Asian and Native American cuisines. The only downside to preparing it at home is that you will most likely need to go to the internet to get what you need. Peruvians use the aji amarillo pepper like Mexicans use the jalapeno. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for it and it is extremely difficult to find even in Mexican grocery stores. You have to buy the paste online. It isn't expensive but it does take a bit of prior planning. I have some Peruvian recipes I can post if there's any interest.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Truman wrote:
R-Jack wrote:Agree on cooks.com

Never saw a genuine tri tip until this spring, Jack. Closest to it was sliced into cheap steaks. Read somewhere that the tri-tip cut was invented by some NoCal Safeway meatcutter back in the 50's. Regardless, I had never seen it here - until the local Price Chopper started carrying it in cry-o-vacs. And remembering you goofs fighting over its correct preparation lead me to try one.

Used the sear/smoke method, and while we don't grow red oak here, the pin oak I smoked it over treated it just fine. Good food, and the thought of it makes me hungry. May have to give it a whirl again over the 4th...
My wife used to work at the Kearny Mesa (San Diego) General Dynamics campus back in the late 80s - early 90s. From a high of about 12,000 employees at that location they're now down to approximately 0. Anyway, they had an annual family day bbq picnic where, along with activities for the kids, a bunch of cowboys from their Santa Maria facility would come down with some industrial sized grills and feed everybody Santa Maria tri-tips, beans, corn on the cob. Good times, actually.

I've been cooking them on my smoker/grill for about 10 years or so (before that on my gas Weber). Not much red oak around here but we have plenty of (white) California live oak and scrub oak, which seem to work just fine. I also use mesquite chunks with charcoal sometimes. I just sear it over hot coals and then slow cook it with the coals as far below the grill as I can get them. Nice and seared on the outside, medium rare to rare on the inside. Takes about 25 - 30 minutes. Prolly the juiciest cut of beef around when done right.

Also, a good authentic tasting seasoning which the local market carries:

I use this stuff on tri-tips and, really, just about any grilled meat or fish. Awesome stuff.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Is this close, Mikey?:
Santa Maria Dry Rub:
5 Tsp. Kosher or Sea salt
2 Tsp. Black Pepper
2 Tsp. White Pepper
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
3 Tsp. Granulated Garlic
* To add more heat, add 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper flakes.
Interweb recipe. Haven't a hope of finding your mix anywhere within a 1,000 miles of this place, but it didn't suck. And on that note...

Pinquito beans? Not sure they're exported east oif the Rockies. We did stewed pintos, which I understand to be a poor substitute, but you do the best you cans with what you gots...
Last edited by Truman on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

mvscal wrote:...I have some Peruvian recipes I can post if there's any interest.
Please do. We have a specialty market up in the Argentine district that boasts of its South American flavors, and I'd love to put it to the test.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Truman wrote:Is this close, Mikey?:
Santa Maria Dry Rub:
2 Tsp. Black Pepper
2 Tsp. White Pepper
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
3 Tsp. Granulated Garlic
Interweb recipe.
Reading off of the bottle, that is pretty much it exactly.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just don't believe anything they say about wine... the fucks with their bought-and-sold "rankings."

Tri tip has been a fixture here as long as I can remember.

But it'sribs on the smoker right now. Someone else marinated them, so we'll see how that works out. Might have to make some sauce out of whatever I find to finish the job.

I've got half-green cherry and plum right now. Works great. Lots of small limbs. I keep offering to help my buddy prune his black walnut (world's biggest freeaking nut tree -- an early settler palnted an orchard like 130 years ago or some shit, and his is the last one standing... freaking pain in the ass, but his wife deals with the walnuts, whichliterally number in the tens of thousands... when you see it, the reaction is similar to that of KCScott espying Ucan't's pecs). And since said buddy now has his longtime neighbor's smoker in his yard (the guy that introduced us to horizontal smokers, like 17 years ago... who was a butcher at the time -- what a beautiful combo), so he'll be down to harvest some walnut.

MMMMMMMM, ribs.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Truman wrote:Is this close, Mikey?:
Santa Maria Dry Rub:
2 Tsp. Black Pepper
2 Tsp. White Pepper
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
3 Tsp. Granulated Garlic
Interweb recipe. Haven't a hope of finding your mix anywhere within a 1,000 miles of this place, but it didn't suck. And on that note...

Pinquito beans? Not sure they're exported east oif the Rockies. We did stewed pintos, which I understand to be a poor substitute, but you do the best you cans with what you gots...
Sounds pretty close. I don't have the bottle in front of me but there may be a small amount of sugar or other sweetener - not sure.

You can actually buy their stuff over the webs from the maker if interested..

http://shop.scottsfoodproducts.com/main.sc

They have some good stuff. I also use their lemon pepper seasoning fairly regularly.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Dinsdale wrote:But it'sribs on the smoker right now. Someone else marinated them, so we'll see how that works out.

MMMMMMMM, ribs.
Such a suggestion 20 years ago might have found you sailing over the top rail of the deck.

But I've mellowed with age. To each his own. Long as those fuckers eat, then rack the effort.

MMMMMMMM, ribs indeed.