Roy having to actually coach now

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Roy having to actually coach now

Post by TheJON »

Poor Roy Williams actually has to coach basketball games now.....and it's not going well. They sucked last year and don't look any better so far this year. What a shock. A lot more difficult to win ballgames when you don't have half of the Top 10 of the next years NBA draft on your roster, ey Roy??

His philosophy the last 20 years of coaching was "I have 5 players that are better than your best player. Let's see if you can stop it". Amazing. What a great coach.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Roy having to actually coach now

Post by King Crimson »

i don't know if i totally agree. i saw Roy's early KU teams that had some outstanding players (but also some real role players before it was McD's stacked to the ceiling) to be sure and they were pretty disciplined on the glass, help D, guard release, and had to lead the free world in easy transition baskets, the crash the boards and get the ball back up on the rim until one of your big, Lerch guys for whom fouls basically don't exist at AFH puts it in. an easy hoop at the "other end" after your guys make a basket and jumping up and down, playing grabass, and waving their "make some noise" arms to the crowd was also a Roy trademark (especially against Colorado at some games i attended).

one thing i do remember however is they did poorly defend the "skip" pass over the top of the zone. i remember sitting in the Sink in Boulder (campus area bar) watching Syracuse bounce one of the LaFrenz/Peirce #1 seeds by throwing it over the zone all day.

i also give Roy credit that he beat Sampson most of the time with that LaFrenz/Vaughn/Pierce team when Kelvin had them on the ropes a few times but calling off the offense and let Paul P. do his thing--he was BY FAR the best player on the court and OU had no way to stop him. take your 16 ppg per player in the system and let him be the 25+ guy he could have been in college. Kelvin did beat him a few more times than anybody else during Roy's time at KU, but always in Norman (94 I remember) or in the conference tournament a few times in a row in 00-02 maybe.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

TheJON wrote:His philosophy the last 20 years of coaching was "I have 5 players that are better than your best player. Let's see if you can stop it". Amazing. What a great coach.
I hate to defend Roy, but the '91 and '93 KU teams blow this idiotic theory out of the water. Even Roy's bad teams at KU ('99- a six seed; '00 - an 8 seed) pushed Kentucky and Duke, respectively, to the wire in the NCAAs and it sure as hell wasn't because of talent. (Kenny Gregory, Eric Chenoweth, hello?)

You could give a shithead like Calipari twelve McDonald's AAs and he'd still find a way to fuck it up when it meant something. At least Roy sealed the deal a few times.

KC, I was at Paul Pierce's "senior night" (as in, he was a Jr and everyone at AFH knew he was gone) in '98 when he dropped something like 38 on OU. I think he went on a 10-0 run in the second half to blow the game open, and i've never heard the place louder.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Degenerate wrote: KC, I was at Paul Pierce's "senior night" (as in, he was a Jr and everyone at AFH knew he was gone) in '98 when he dropped something like 38 on OU. I think he went on a 10-0 run in the second half to blow the game open, and i've never heard the place louder.
that sounds about right. i think PP does it *again* in KC at the conference tournament like 2 weeks later. maybe not quite as gaudy as 38 but 18 2nd half points or some shit to turn a 1 possession, see saw game into double digits at about the 37 minute mark. 3-4 possessions in a row you go from "we are mos def in this one" to "ballgame, fuck". bang bang bang.

not a bad Sooner team that year. Corey Brewer who could score the ball (went off in OU's NCAA OT loss to Indiana that year--he and AJ Guyton go toe to toe for about 30 each), very good pg Michael Johnson and Eduardo Najera as a soph. Timmy Heskett shooting the 3 before he broke his thumb. that team goes 11-5 in conference. Pat Riley supposedly loved Brewer and Brewer makes the Heat roster the year of the lockout but never really gets back to that level after the layoff. too bad for him.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

FUCK NAJERA
why is my neighborhood on fire
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Bizzarofelice wrote:FUCK NAJERA
KLEIZA!!??
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:
Degenerate wrote: KC, I was at Paul Pierce's "senior night" (as in, he was a Jr and everyone at AFH knew he was gone) in '98 when he dropped something like 38 on OU. I think he went on a 10-0 run in the second half to blow the game open, and i've never heard the place louder.
that sounds about right. i think PP does it *again* in KC at the conference tournament like 2 weeks later. maybe not quite as gaudy as 38 but 18 2nd half points or some shit to turn a 1 possession, see saw game into double digits at about the 37 minute mark. 3-4 possessions in a row you go from "we are mos def in this one" to "ballgame, fuck". bang bang bang.

not a bad Sooner team that year. Corey Brewer who could score the ball (went off in OU's NCAA OT loss to Indiana that year--he and AJ Guyton go toe to toe for about 30 each), very good pg Michael Johnson and Eduardo Najera as a soph. Timmy Heskett shooting the 3 before he broke his thumb. that team goes 11-5 in conference. Pat Riley supposedly loved Brewer and Brewer makes the Heat roster the year of the lockout but never really gets back to that level after the layoff. too bad for him.
Pat Riley probably found out about his drug problems. He may have been marginally talented but not talented enough to succeed in the NBA and continue his drug problems.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:FUCK NAJERA
KLEIZA!!??
different eras. KLEIZA came around a couple years after Najera was clotheslining unsuspecting guards in the Big 12. Classy guy. The only person who whined to refs more than Najera is Ryan Minor. I'd say Ryan is classier than Najera because Minor would whine about travelling calls whilst Najera would whine about a foul called on him for sticking a shiv in the back of an opposing player.

Fuck Najera even though he and KLEIZA played on the Nuggets together.
why is my neighborhood on fire