Big 12 fuckers - which is the bigger rivalry?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Re: Big 12 fuckers - which is the bigger rivalry?

Post by Killian »

When all the super conference shit was going down a few months back, I distinctly remember this being talked about. Not sure which thread for certain, but it could have been the one started by blindref.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Oklahoma vs the Corn goes back to Big-8, or even Big-6

Oklahoma vs Texas goes back longer than that, I think

Oh, and George Blanda has kicked the oxygen habit- just announced
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

OU/Texas is infinitely bigger than OU/children of the corn. It's not even questionable...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Figured you didn't know how to use the search function.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the old truism *used to be*:

Oklahoma-Nebraska was a rivalry based on respect.

Oklahoma-Texas was a rivalry based on hate.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'd bet that if you asked average joe cfb fan up here, many wouldn't know OU-NU was even a rivalry, just a "big game." OU-Texas, though, draws attention nationally.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Did Buttsy really post this question?
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'd bet that if you asked average joe cfb fan up here, many wouldn't know OU-NU was even a rivalry, just a "big game." OU-Texas, though, draws attention nationally.
OU-NU was "an event" as much as a rivalry. it was one of the premier games of the pre-ESPN era, it was generally "for something": the Big 8 title, the Orange Bowl and throughout the 70's and 80's quite often for a shot at the MNC (depending on how the old bowl system New Year's Bowl slate would shake out)....and Thanksgiving weekend. Teams were joined at the hip after the 71 GoTC.

pre Big XII, OU-UT wasn't really "for something" it just "was". They don't like us, we don't like them. Get together in Dallas, say some bad shit about their sisters and mothers, bareknuckle fights, and play football. Go your separate ways. The rivalry stood on it's own for 100 years before mutual Big XII membership. OU-NU will die for good without conference affiliation (except in nostalgia and i'd love to play NU OOC). OU-UT would go on.

edit: also, OU-NU was mostly just a football game....OU-Texas extends to all sports.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

since the overwhelming majority of Oklahomas players come from Texas and not Nebraska, Id bet playing that Texas meant more to them
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'd bet that if you asked average joe cfb fan up here, many wouldn't know OU-NU was even a rivalry, just a "big game." OU-Texas, though, draws attention nationally.
OU-Nebraska was just as big "back in the day".
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Mace wrote:
OU-Nebraska was just as big "back in the day".
So was Princeton-Harvard. When the average player in College Football cant legally buy beer, back in the day matters little
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Papa Willie wrote:
Killian wrote:When all the super conference shit was going down a few months back, I distinctly remember this being talked about. Not sure which thread for certain, but it could have been the one started by blindref.

Well go find it, Mr. Spreadsheet. I don't read every lil' thread in this place.
i just hurt my eyeball while looking at the inside of my forehead.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

So if Texas is OU's main rival, then who is Nebraska's? K-State? Iowa State? Mizzou and Kansas already have each other in their respective sights. It certain can't be Colorado. Everybody knows Utah is our big rival. I hear Iowa might be looking...
"Keys, woman!"
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

King Crimson wrote:the old truism *used to be*:

I'd agree with that. It's a shame it's over. Of course...it kind of was already when Tejas started running shit and everyone in the Big 8 sans 1 started licking whorn boot.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

H4ever wrote:
King Crimson wrote:the old truism *used to be*:

I'd agree with that. It's a shame it's over. Of course...it kind of was already when Tejas started running shit and everyone in the Big 8 sans 1 started licking whorn boot.
I wouldn't... outside of a few years early in my life time when the conference crown was on the table me and most I my peers have never given two flying fucks about Nebraska. If Oklahoma is down the game doesn't really mean shit, if Bugeater University is down we don't even give one fuck.

Now Texas on the other hand. We can be 0-4 or they be 0-4 coming in and I still want to pound the hell out of them or hang the coach if we don't!
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:I remember OU-Nebraska being huge, but I think OU-UT is far bigger.

When OU played Alabama in Tuscaloosa a few years ago, the Oklahoma fans and the Alabama fans got along great. Mutual respect and all that shit. We were sharing beers and sitting around tailgating with everybody. Great time. The only shit I ever saw that entire day and night was when we were walking near the Quad and some dumbass yelled, "Hook 'em, Horns!" A guy in a Texas shirt started getting into it with some Sooner fans. Funny as shit.
Haha, that happened immediately after the game correct? I was one of the Sooners he started shit with along with my father, fiancée/future wife, and two friends from college as well as a couple others.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

H4ever wrote: I'd agree with that. It's a shame it's over. Of course...it kind of was already when Tejas started running shit and everyone in the Big 8 sans 1 started licking whorn boot.
honestly, you guys need to get over this hero story you tell yourselves about Dr. Tom's mighty triumph over Texas. You need to read less Tom Shatel. and, if you want to persist.....respectfully, at least give Colorado their due as well instead of the lone virtuous hero myth against the forces of Horn Evil and their minions you guys have uncritically adopted as "official truth".

to the original question. i'd say in the Big 8 years, the rivalries were about equal but qualitatively different. Growing up in Norman, I'm old enough to remember those games and went to the ones in Norman as a kid. My dad hunted pheasant in NE with NU buddies the week of the game and went to the games in Lincoln. His NE buds came down for quail hunting in western OK. losers bought the tix for the next year. drink beer, talk football, shoot birds. i always wanted to grow up and do that. rivalry based in respect, all that.

Big XII, it's OU-Texas. especially since 00. Until someone else wins the Big XII, right now.....OU-UT is OU-NU and OU-UT combined minus not being on Thanksgiving. maybe Bugeater changes it this year as the South is scuffling....but, we ain't no Jackrabbits of SDSU either. to be the champ, you got to beat the champ. and if that's Ok STate or ATM. bring it. i didn't like being lumped in the South with the SWC...but it happened. a basketball roadie to Lubbock or College Station will never have the appeal as a home-home with Mizzou or KU to me.

i think OU is in the SEC in 5-10 years with ATM once the super conference thing happens. UT will be measuring their own dick. and once the SEC realizes that OK State is winning 8-9 games a year and really good at those "spring sports" like baseball and golf that hillbilly states without pro teams like (me, in!)...and that Tulsa already has some Hog presence. OKC and Tulsa aren't big time....but together with part of the Dallas market that is very OU....it's bigger than anything in Arkie or Miss.
"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Who gives a fuck about some contrived rivalry?

It really sucks when someone calls out "Big 12 fuckers" and then feeling like you're excluded from the conversation.... especially during the bye week.

Fuck that and fuck you all, Mizzou will win the XII North and then roll Okie State in the CCG.

Sluts, you heard it here first.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:Who gives a fuck about some contrived rivalry?

It really sucks when someone calls out "Big 12 fuckers" and then feeling like you're excluded from the conversation.... especially during the bye week.

Fuck that and fuck you all, Mizzou will win the XII North and then roll Okie State in the CCG.

i'd like to get on board Wags, but you and I both know that your guys best team in 50 years lost to a mediocre OU team twice.

Ok State has a nice set up with OU and ATM in Stillwater and OU at Kyle....but, the Pokes can't win in Austin. they blow leads, blow Bevo, blow period. they also only beat Troy by 3 at Lewis Field....
"
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

King Crimson wrote:
H4ever wrote: I'd agree with that. It's a shame it's over. Of course...it kind of was already when Tejas started running shit and everyone in the Big 8 sans 1 started licking whorn boot.
honestly, you guys need to get over this hero story you tell yourselves about Dr. Tom's mighty triumph over Texas. You need to read less Tom Shatel. and, if you want to persist.....respectfully, at least give Colorado their due as well instead of the lone virtuous hero myth against the forces of Horn Evil and their minions you guys have uncritically adopted as "official truth".

to the original question. i'd say in the Big 8 years, the rivalries were about equal but qualitatively different. Growing up in Norman, I'm old enough to remember those games and went to the ones in Norman as a kid. My dad hunted pheasant in NE with NU buddies the week of the game and went to the games in Lincoln. His NE buds came down for quail hunting in western OK. losers bought the tix for the next year. drink beer, talk football, shoot birds. i always wanted to grow up and do that. rivalry based in respect, all that.

Big XII, it's OU-Texas. especially since 00. Until someone else wins the Big XII, right now.....OU-UT is OU-NU and OU-UT combined minus not being on Thanksgiving. maybe Bugeater changes it this year as the South is scuffling....but, we ain't no Jackrabbits of SDSU either. to be the champ, you got to beat the champ. and if that's Ok STate or ATM. bring it. i didn't like being lumped in the South with the SWC...but it happened. a basketball roadie to Lubbock or College Station will never have the appeal as a home-home with Mizzou or KU to me.

i think OU is in the SEC in 5-10 years with ATM once the super conference thing happens. UT will be measuring their own dick. and once the SEC realizes that OK State is winning 8-9 games a year and really good at those "spring sports" like baseball and golf that hillbilly states without pro teams like (me, in!)...and that Tulsa already has some Hog presence. OKC and Tulsa aren't big time....but together with part of the Dallas market that is very OU....it's bigger than anything in Arkie or Miss.
^^^^ I'll rack that shit by King Crimson and say "fuck you" to SCSooner! I don't care if NU is 0-9 when we play the Sooners or 9-0 and OU is 2-8....it means something to the diehard corn fan. We are literally sick to our stomachs at the thought of playing Oklahoma once ever 20 years now that Tejas has fucked up what remained. I have never been treated better at an away game than in Norman, OK. Columbia? Manhatten? Boulder? forget about it! I have enjoyed free beers and 2 inch T-bones free tailgating in Norman with Sooner fans and been told, "thanks for comin'...hope ya'll have a great time!"

I have said this before and I stand by it....the Big 12 is done...be it 5 years or 10...stick a fork in it. I hope OU goes to the SEC for their own best interests but I'd love to see them in the Big 10 someday. Screw PSU (tho I do respect them)....we want OU as our annual conference foe.

That be said...fuck Texas...die in a car fire whorns.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Nebraska isn't shit. The game is Texas-OU. Nebraska wants to matter.....they just don't. Most Nebraska fans are thoughtful, knowledgeable and in general good sports. They have to know that moving to the Big 10 is happening because Tom's pussy is hurt from the beating it has been taking from Texas and OU.

No one in the Big XII gives one shit about Nebraska. When Nebraska's "Biggest" rival tells you that the game is an after thought, that is all you have to know.

EABOD Huskers.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

I agree w/ KC and SCS. Growing up in KC in the '80s, all anyone cared about during football season was OU-NU. the talk began right around August. But it was big only because it (usually) meant the Big 8. The years that CU were on top really took the air out of OU-NU from what I remember.

OU-TU on the other hand, that's big no matter what.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Back in the day, OU-Nebraska was the Big 8 version of tOSU-Michigan, with two elite teams facing off, usually for the conference title, as was tOSU-Michigan. They were the ccg before the ccg came into existence. The OU-Texas game may be a border rivalry built on hatred, but it had no conference implications until Texas joined the Big 12, and was a much lesser deal to those living outside of Texas and Oklahoma. I know that's difficult for those of you whose memory of college football history goes back only as far as the latest ESPN broadcast, but it's true. OU-Nebraska was a HUGE game and one that the entire country anticipated seeing every year.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Mace wrote:Back in the day, OU-Nebraska was the Big 8 version of tOSU-Michigan, with two elite teams facing off, usually for the conference title, as was tOSU-Michigan. They were the ccg before the ccg came into existence. The OU-Texas game may be a border rivalry built on hatred, but it had no conference implications until Texas joined the Big 12, and was a much lesser deal to those living outside of Texas and Oklahoma. I know that's difficult for those of you whose memory of college football history goes back only as far as the latest ESPN broadcast, but it's true. OU-Nebraska was a HUGE game and one that the entire country anticipated seeing every year.
^^^ Pretty much the way I remember it as well.

Back in the day, ABC only did one game of the week and I think it was pretty much nationally televised (although I think they may have televised a few over Thanksgiving weekend). Oklahoma-Texas was a game that might make it on the ABC schedule, but not always. I think they televised Oklahoma-Nebraska every year when I was a kid, or damn near every year.

That having been said, I think the fact that many on this board don't ever remember Oklahoma-Nebraska as a particularly big game speaks more to a generation gap than anything else.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Mace wrote:Back in the day, OU-Nebraska was the Big 8 version of tOSU-Michigan, with two elite teams facing off, usually for the conference title, as was tOSU-Michigan. They were the ccg before the ccg came into existence. The OU-Texas game may be a border rivalry built on hatred, but it had no conference implications until Texas joined the Big 12, and was a much lesser deal to those living outside of Texas and Oklahoma. I know that's difficult for those of you whose memory of college football history goes back only as far as the latest ESPN broadcast, but it's true. OU-Nebraska was a HUGE game and one that the entire country anticipated seeing every year.
^^^ Pretty much the way I remember it as well.

Back in the day, ABC only did one game of the week and I think it was pretty much nationally televised (although I think they may have televised a few over Thanksgiving weekend). Oklahoma-Texas was a game that might make it on the ABC schedule, but not always. I think they televised Oklahoma-Nebraska every year when I was a kid, or damn near every year.

That having been said, I think the fact that many on this board don't ever remember Oklahoma-Nebraska as a particularly big game speaks more to a generation gap than anything else.
Whoa, Nellie!!

Sin,
Keith Jackson
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: That having been said, I think the fact that many on this board don't ever remember Oklahoma-Nebraska as a particularly big game speaks more to a generation gap than anything else.
That's exactly what it is.

I've got old Sports Illustrateds, Sporting News, Sport magazines, etc. covering Nebraska-Oklahoma games. Seems they were always crucial to national championship hopes for them and everyone else. Devaney, Osborne, Fairbanks, Switzer all had a lot of good teams. Most every year.
Exactly my feelings as Sam and Terry suggest. You probably gotta be north of 50 to get it.

ImageImage
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Sudden Sam wrote:I don't have much knowledge about this Nebraska-Texas rift that y'all discuss.
It's really more of a Nebraska rift. Texas doesn't give much of a fuck. The most common reaction is a bemused, "Uh, OK. Sorry you feel that way.........Bye."
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

H4ever wrote: I have said this before and I stand by it....the Big 12 is done...be it 5 years or 10...stick a fork in it.
You are a dumbfuck with bitter beer face. You not only threatened divorce, you went thru with it and are now having serious 2nd thoughts. Too late, bitch. The door has been slammed shut. Look back with wistful nostalgia all you want.

The Big XII will be just fine and the schools that didn't bail will be raking in mo money than Nebraska ever dreamed of making.

This thread is about rivalries. On a scale of 10, KU-MU is an 11 on the hatred meter but on this we find common ground.

Fuck Nebraska. Eat shit.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

War Wagon wrote:
H4ever wrote: I have said this before and I stand by it....the Big 12 is done...be it 5 years or 10...stick a fork in it.
You are a dumbfuck with bitter beer face. You not only threatened divorce, you went thru with it and are now having serious 2nd thoughts. Too late, bitch. The door has been slammed shut. Look back with wistful nostalgia all you want.

The Big XII will be just fine and the schools that didn't bail will be raking in mo money than Nebraska ever dreamed of making.

This thread is about rivalries. On a scale of 10, KU-MU is an 11 on the hatred meter but on this we find common ground.

Fuck Nebraska. Eat shit.
Translation: We (Mizzou) have been eating the peanuts out of Nebraska's shit for decades. Sure...we got over a couple times during the Callafolly era, but we're back to licking Husker nut butter which is all we know. Sure glad we're swinging from Tejas sack to mentally prepare ourselves for our new daddy: Tejas.

Might as well go suck some Kansas Jayhawk cock while you're at it Wags...no shame fella. You AND Mizzou can go eat a dick...because you both matter as much as the musical significance of the indian in the Village people when it comes to college football or this board. Get a trophy or a decent take or stfu!
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Harvdog wrote:Nebraska isn't shit. The game is Texas-OU. Nebraska wants to matter.....they just don't. Most Nebraska fans are thoughtful, knowledgeable and in general good sports. They have to know that moving to the Big 10 is happening because Tom's pussy is hurt from the beating it has been taking from Texas and OU.

No one in the Big XII gives one shit about Nebraska. When Nebraska's "Biggest" rival tells you that the game is an after thought, that is all you have to know.

EABOD Huskers.
You don't know a damn thing about the motives for the move. Newsflash genius we know more about our program than you do. The president and the board of regents had to be down with the move. It was not our AD's call to make. Tom's pussy is hurt? No, you are just being pathetic and ignorant.

Here are reasons for leaving:

1. The Big12 was a house of cards. Multiple programs said if CU and Mizzou left they'd bolt too. Your own program had talked to three different conferences, wouldn't commit their media-rights when challenged, and along with several other programs had one foot out the door. Nobody was committed to the con longterm-past 2016. We were looking for a home for the next century, not just the next few years.

2. The Big10 already has a great tv-deal in place and it will just get better as the Big10 network expands. They aren't projecting anything, the money is already there, and it's big.

3. Look up the CIC genius, do you have any idea what that is? It is a research consortium that doles out BILLIONS yearly. Nebraska is now part of that. Between the CIC and our new innovation campus the university will become a real player. Joining the 10 is a big deal for our academics.

The 12 offered us nothing but some tough talk and media manipulation meant to scare us into signing-on. You, ATM, and OU only stayed after Bay, KU, KSU, ISU, and Mizzou agreed to be bent-over. The 10 offered a lot. It wasn't a tough call.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Tom Osborne's record against Barry Switzer (more than a couple of those Sooner W's, OU has NO business winning in Lincoln....but they do):

5-12.

that SI cover with Rick Berns is Dr. Tom's first W over OU in 78. Sims fumbles inside the NU 10 to give the Huskers the W....after making a ridiculous move on a blitzing Sker. Outside of OU losing to basketball championship to Danny "8 fouls a game never called" Manning in 1988, I count this as my most painful sport moment ever.

However, in an unprecedented move, the Orange Bowl invites Oklahoma to play Big 8 Champ Nebraska and OU thunderfucks Nebraska in the rematch. NU scores a meaningless TD on the final play to cut the L to 31-24.

this an underrated classic:

and this really Switzer sticking it deep in Dr. Tom. my Dad (when properly bourbon drunk) tells a great story about this game. they get to know the Huskers sitting next to them....over 5 years sitting (and winning) in NU seating. OU scores late, so the game is 17-16....and my dad and his buddy are saying....."do we go for two and the win....", two minutes left. Nebraska fan says: "Switzer will kick the PAT, he knows he'll get the ball back." and that's exactly what happened.

"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Danimal wrote:2. The Big10 already has a great tv-deal in place and it will just get better as the Big10 network expands. They aren't projecting anything, the money is already there, and it's big.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about the BTN. I certainly don't know al of the ramifications, but I'm not yet convinced that they'll be able to sustain the numbers long-term. Consider the following:

1. In football, ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 still have first dibs on Big Ten football games. What is left over for the BTN? How much demand is there for, say, Illinois-Minnesota, outside of the fanbases of those schools?

2. Even in mens' basketball, you have the same issues arise, with CBS, ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 all having priority over the BTN. This isn't quite as significant a problem, though, as you can play basketball any day of the week (traditionally they don't play on Friday nights, though).

3. How much of a market is there, really, for Big Ten sports such as swimming, tennis or track and field?

4. As I understand it, the BTN receives $1.10 per cable subscriber within the Big Ten footprint, $.10 per cable subscriber where BTN is available but outside the BTN footprint (fwiw, where I live, BTN is available but only as a premium option, I don't pay for it so I don't get it.) That leads to the Big Ten considering schools in lucrative media markets which they otherwise would have no interest in, e.g., Rutgers. The upshot of all of that is that the Big Ten could ultimately cost itself in terms of on-field quality of play, rivalries, etc., in the interest of raising revenue for the BTN. Nebraska was an excellent add on the field -- probably the best the Big Ten realistically could have done, under the circumstances -- but IIRC, the entire state only has about 1.7 million people. That might mean a per capita loss of revenue.

5. If the big cable companies ever go to a la carte cable options, that could spell disaster for the BTN.

I've thought about the BTN, and come up with some compromises which ND could negotiate, short of joining the Big Ten, which would help the BTN and the Big Ten, as well as the Big East.

Jack Swarbrick has said that the Big Ten wants to add hockey as a sport. Unfortunately for the Big Ten, only five of their members (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin) play Division I hockey. My proposal would be to add the three Big East members that play Division I hockey -- UConn, ND and Providence -- as hockey-only members of the Big Ten. That would probably be a better option for the Big Ten than adding, say, Bemidji State, Lake Superior State, Ferris State, Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State, St. Cloud State or Western Michigan (sorry, Screw) as hockey-only members of the Big Ten, the Big East schools have a higher profile, at least on a national basis. The Big Ten could borrow the Pac-10 concept of travel partners and make UConn and Providence travel partners to ease expenses of all members. Then televise Big Ten hockey on the BTN.

Also, two Big Ten schools -- Ohio State and Penn State -- play Division I lacrosse as members of the ECAC. The Big East recently added mens' lacrosse as a varsity sport. Those two schools could become lacrosse-only members of the Big East, with the BTN getting the television rights to Big East lacrosse. The Big East, of course, would get a cut of the revenue generated from lacrosse telecasts (other than Ohio State-Penn State), and from the hockey telecasts involving Big East schools.

Hockey and lacrosse aren't football and basketball, of course. But each sport is the second-most popular spectator sport in its respective season, and there's less competition from ESPN and the like for television rights.

It probably would never happen, but it would make a lot of sense to me.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the other thing about Oklahoma-Nebraska.....was it was a year long seminar on how to run or defend the option. out of the I, or the wishbone? who could do it better? it was really beautiful football.

this is another time Oklahoma wins in Lincoln over the #1 Cornhuskers.
Last edited by King Crimson on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:The Big XII will be just fine and the schools that didn't bail will be raking in mo money than Nebraska ever dreamed of making.
Uh, probably not.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Jack Swarbrick has said that the Big Ten wants to add hockey as a sport. Unfortunately for the Big Ten, only five of their members (Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin) play Division I hockey.
Penn State recently announced they are adding hockey.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Danimal wrote:
Harvdog wrote:Nebraska isn't shit. The game is Texas-OU. Nebraska wants to matter.....they just don't. Most Nebraska fans are thoughtful, knowledgeable and in general good sports. They have to know that moving to the Big 10 is happening because Tom's pussy is hurt from the beating it has been taking from Texas and OU.

EABOD Huskers.
You don't know a damn thing about the motives for the move. Newsflash genius we know more about our program than you do. The president and the board of regents had to be down with the move. It was not our AD's call to make. Tom's pussy is hurt? No, you are just being pathetic and ignorant.

Here are reasons for leaving:

1. The Big12 was a house of cards. Multiple programs said if CU and Mizzou left they'd bolt too. Your own program had talked to three different conferences, wouldn't commit their media-rights when challenged, and along with several other programs had one foot out the door. Nobody was committed to the con longterm-past 2016. We were looking for a home for the next century, not just the next few years.

2. The Big10 already has a great tv-deal in place and it will just get better as the Big10 network expands. They aren't projecting anything, the money is already there, and it's big.

3. Look up the CIC genius, do you have any idea what that is? It is a research consortium that doles out BILLIONS yearly. Nebraska is now part of that. Between the CIC and our new innovation campus the university will become a real player. Joining the 10 is a big deal for our academics.

The 12 offered us nothing but some tough talk and media manipulation meant to scare us into signing-on. You, ATM, and OU only stayed after Bay, KU, KSU, ISU, and Mizzou agreed to be bent-over. The 10 offered a lot. It wasn't a tough call.

^^^^^Rack! Why's Harv playing ghost?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Cornhusker wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: That having been said, I think the fact that many on this board don't ever remember Oklahoma-Nebraska as a particularly big game speaks more to a generation gap than anything else.
That's exactly what it is.

I've got old Sports Illustrateds, Sporting News, Sport magazines, etc. covering Nebraska-Oklahoma games. Seems they were always crucial to national championship hopes for them and everyone else. Devaney, Osborne, Fairbanks, Switzer all had a lot of good teams. Most every year.
Exactly my feelings as Sam and Terry suggest. You probably gotta be north of 50 to get it.

ImageImage
Not quite. I'm still on the good side of 50 (albeit not for much longer, :brad: ) and I get it. Maybe north of 40.

But in any event, IIRC, Nebraska-Oklahoma was a 1 vs. 2 matchup as recently as '87. Not that '87 is particularly recent, but it is recent enough that some of the young whippersnappers in here ought to have been paying attention to BTPCF back then.
OStUd
C'mon Honey, Get Back in the Tahoe

Post by OStUd »

War Wagon wrote:Who gives a fuck about some contrived rivalry?

You are right about one thing but there is no way Mizzou can beat my boy they score almost al many points in one quarter then I score the ladies the back of my Chevy Tahoe in one night.
Real men don't fight they wrestle!
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

King Crimson wrote:i'd like to get on board Wags, but you and I both know that your guys best team in 50 years lost to a mediocre OU team twice.
:?

10-3 and a BCS berth was "mediocre"?

'the hell was last year's 8-5, then?

Hey, I know you all have standards and traditions and stuff, but it ain't like you've been Michigan or Notre Dame lately either....