Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Post by King Crimson »

OSU has the T Boone money, a new stadium and top notch facilities, a couple final fours in the last 15 years or so, and bring an AD with a crap ton of national championships in the Spring sports (baseball, golf) and wrestling. they are not without some appeal on their own (outside wearing pylon orange and being pokies. when they play Tennessee (if), that will be a tint murderer on the old TV set).
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

While I realize that this board doesn't necessarily speak for all BTPCF fans, I for one find it fascinating that the overwhelming majority of Big Ten fans on here are in favor of their conference expanding, whereas the overwhelming majority of Pac-10 fans here want no part of expansion. Yet in all likelihood, at leat if the recent reports are true, the Pac-10 will beat the Big Ten to the punch.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Yet in all likelihood, at leat if the recent reports are true, the Pac-10 will beat the Big Ten to the punch.
latest rumor here is that the Texas legislature is trying to strong-arm the Pac to replace Colorado with Baylor in an "all the Texas teams or no Texas" play.

i read ATM, OU, and CU boards today. CU fans want to move (though, ideally, get away from the UT sphere of influence which now seems unlikely)....OU and ATM fans don't seem real excited about any move, Pac or SEC.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Sudden Sam wrote:I could see the SEC wanting OU, OSU, A&M, and one other school from elsewhere. Maybe Georgia Tech. Having formerly been in the league, the Yellow Jackets would be a nice fit.

SEC West:
Alabama
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Miss. State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC East:
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn
South Carolina (Please go away! Go to the ACC...we'll take FSU)
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Georgia Tech

I like it!
I like this too because AU-Florida could go back to every year.

What about UA-Tennessee though?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Rivals reporting that NU will announce its move to the Big Ten on Friday. I've generally been staying away from the incessant rumoring but this pretty much seems like a done deal.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Rivals reporting that NU will announce its move to the Big Ten on Friday. I've generally been staying away from the incessant rumoring but this pretty much seems like a done deal.
good move for NU imo. don't know what i'd think if i were a Big 10 guy....but, given the pop density and distance from a major media market of NE, this puts them squarely in the Chicago orbit with a broad command of the upper plains states. Heck, 70% of Colorado east of 1-25 is NU territory. they are almost if not the #2 program in Iowa etc.

Otherwise, they are an historical blue-blood program looking like they might have a lot to lose in the new world TV revenue order.
"
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

No matter what conference they're in when Tressel retires, thanks in advance Nebraska, your football coach are belong to us. :D
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:don't know what i'd think if i were a Big 10 guy
Hard to say without knowing the master plan. I don't get overly excited about NU because I look at expansion from a 50% football and 50% basketball perspective. If they stop here just to even out at 12 I'm ok with it...there are certainly worse selections.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

King Crimson wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Rivals reporting that NU will announce its move to the Big Ten on Friday. I've generally been staying away from the incessant rumoring but this pretty much seems like a done deal.
good move for NU imo. don't know what i'd think if i were a Big 10 guy....but, given the pop density and distance from a major media market of NE, this puts them squarely in the Chicago orbit with a broad command of the upper plains states. Heck, 70% of Colorado east of 1-25 is NU territory. they are almost if not the #2 program in Iowa etc.

Otherwise, they are an historical blue-blood program looking like they might have a lot to lose in the new world TV revenue order.
Good post. Spot on regarding TV revenue. With TexASS being texASS since the league's inception and no playoff in sight...this was the best thing for Nebraska. The following article kinda explains why things are as they are. Texas' arrogance and Texas' boy in the comissioner's chair are a big part of it:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... sion060610
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

King Crimson wrote:
good move for NU imo. .
$20 million to be Ohio State's bitch instead of a mere $10 million to be Texas's- allegedly
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Nebraska was run.

-poptah
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I was really enjoying this thread until I had to read War Wagon try and defend the school he never attended. Then I couldn't stop cringing.

And degenerate, regarding the "StL running Missouri state government for the last half century" comment, I certainly hope you were being facetious. Couldn't be further from the truth. The state of Missouri is run by backwoods hicks.
why is my neighborhood on fire
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

rack lance...but does the Big 10 frown on coaches moving within the conference?

MGO...I agree...stop at 12...NU is just fne from a football and wrestling perspective...and baseball to a point...and Women's Bowling...I would have rather added PITT or Mizzou for a more well rounded in terms of basketball/football...but NU is just fine...

oh and rack the 20m to be OSU's bitch...although watching Bo come into the SHOE again will be EPOCH
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

buckeye_in_sc wrote: MGO...I agree...stop at 12...NU is just fne from a football and wrestling perspective...and baseball to a point...
er, isn't nebraska actually good at baseball? the big ten isn't. they'll probably dominate from the word go.

otherwise, how quickly will nebraska begin playing a big 10 schedule? can't wait to hear jon wax poetically about the nascent nu/iowa rivalry, something along the lines of "they only beat us every year because we're their super bowl."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Gayfelice wrote:Then I couldn't stop cringing.
You certainly don't cringe from a hard cock thrust up your ass, so why is this different?

Go mewl some inane psycho babble elsewhere, slut.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Bizzarofelice wrote: And degenerate, regarding the "StL running Missouri state government for the last half century" comment, I certainly hope you were being facetious. Couldn't be further from the truth. The state of Missouri is run by backwoods hicks.
Accurate or not, that was the perception in KC until I moved away in 2000. I tended to think much of it was sour grapes given that the city's light rail and gentrification project around the Dome after the Rams arrived was tangible evidence of a city with their act together (whether it was true or not) while KC dithered over the future of Union Station, the jazz/blues district, is there ever going to be a power and light district downtown, what to do about Truman Sports Complex, etc. Not ever having been a taxpaying citizen of MO, I had no emotional dog in that fight. But KC pols and business types loved ginning up that point of view.

and while it's just anecdotal, my small experience with the state legislature is this: it is run lock, stock and barrel by Monsanto. And last I checked, Creve Coeur ain't the backwoods.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

sounds like it is more of a perception issue. I can tell you that city hall loathes the rural pukes in missourah. st louis wants to attract larger corporate HQ and rural missourah intervenes due to something from the Bible.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Bizzarofelice wrote:st louis wants to attract larger corporate HQ and rural missourah intervenes due to something from the Bible.
You establish more corporate HQ in StL and you face the very real threat that you are attracting people into the state who have read more than one book in their life. Even worse, they probably drink lattes.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

By the way... With all this conference re-alignment talk, anybody got any idea on when Michigan plans to rejoin the Big Ten? :lol:
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

L45B wrote:By the way... With all this conference re-alignment talk, anybody got any idea on when Michigan plans to rejoin the Big Ten? :lol:
Freep is reporting that TSUN is still on the road looking for a real head coach...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Now that Nebraska is onboard, is there any word on what divisions would look like? To me, this is the only alignment that makes any sense:

East: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue
West: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

But given that MIchigan and tOSU still rule the roost, they'll probably trot out that cockamamy North/South scheme they seem to like.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

did you really just say cockamamy on a message board?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

To answer your question, Delany did mention today that competitive balance would be the #1 priority in division alignment. As it should be. Geography hasn't been of too much importance for conference expansion, so I don't see why it should be for divisional alignment.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

I was wondering if they were going to have no divisions and just have the two teams with the best records in a championship game.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:To answer your question, Delany did mention today that competitive balance would be the #1 priority in division alignment. As it should be. Geography hasn't been of too much importance for conference expansion, so I don't see why it should be for divisional alignment.
The East/West alignment I mentioned also provides some competitive balance. Assuming, of course, that Nebraska gets back to being Nebraska and Michigan gets back to being Michigan.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'd swap Penn St for Wisconsin any maybe just rename the divisions from east/west to something more generic. I don't like having 3 of the 4 bluebloods in one division.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'd swap Penn St for Wisconsin any maybe just rename the divisions from east/west to something more generic. I don't like having 3 of the 4 bluebloods in one division.
If this is what happens (and I've heard rumblings that it might), the Big Ten is sending a huge :hfal: to Penn State, at least as far as travel goes.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'd swap Penn St for Wisconsin any maybe just rename the divisions from east/west to something more generic. I don't like having 3 of the 4 bluebloods in one division.
That would be the ideal alignment for making competitive divisions, imo. The best scenario I've seen is with this alignment and each team keeping one rivalry game from the other division, such as the Iowa-Wisonsin game remaining an annual contest. I'd like to be at the AD's meeting when they hammer out the details of the alignment to see if fairness is truly their top priority.