Big 12 Threat?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Big 12 Threat?

Post by King Crimson »

Degenerate wrote: So if the Pac takes the Big XII south and MU/NU bolt, where's CU going if not the MWC?.
i don't think the Pac takes BU over CU. word around here seems to be that CU is pretty solid in the Pac's eyes (and may get an offer independent of the "group invitation")....and BU has made themselves look foolish in addition to being a bad fit. but, ya never know. yeah, MWC is the fallback for CU: worst case scenario.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Degenerate wrote:So if the Pac takes the Big XII south and MU/NU bolt, where's CU going if not the MWC?
Missouri ain't gonna get invited. Thus Texas will try to rebuild their conference with a replacement for Nebraska.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

they should put all teams afraid to fly in one conference...oh wait they already did...the SEC...

The Big 10 should stop at NU...go to 12 and be done with it...I don't want 14 or 16...12 is fine...
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

King Crimson wrote:
Degenerate wrote: So if the Pac takes the Big XII south and MU/NU bolt, where's CU going if not the MWC?.
i don't think the Pac takes BU over CU. word around here seems to be that CU is pretty solid in the Pac's eyes (and may get an offer independent of the "group invitation")....and BU has made themselves look foolish in addition to being a bad fit. but, ya never know. yeah, MWC is the fallback for CU: worst case scenario.
Chip Brown from orangebloods was on SportsCenter and basically said the six Big XII teams offered by the Pac 10 have agreed to accept: UT, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, and Colorado.

He immediately backtracked from it but implied that's where it was going and that the UT administration knows Baylor is a no-hoper.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

KC Scott wrote:
Cornhusker wrote:
Degenerate wrote:So if the Pac takes the Big XII south and MU/NU bolt, where's CU going if not the MWC?
Missouri ain't gonna get invited. Thus Texas will try to rebuild their conference with a replacement for Nebraska.

I hate to break this to you - but the Omaha / Lincoln TV market isn't exactly gonna mean a lot when the league (whichever it may be) goes to negotiate their next TV contract.

That's THE reason Big 10 wants Mizzou / the St. Louis & KC Markets

Nowledge out front should have told ya
Nebraska has eyes from coast to coast..tell me you knew.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Not really sure why the departure of Nebraska and, possibly, Mizzwho? should signal the death of the Big 12.

Help a brotha out here.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Cornhusker wrote:
Left Seater wrote:
H4ever wrote: Rumor mill in Huskerland is saying that Tom Osborne's final goal in life is to achieve sweet, sweet revenge on Texas. :twisted:

So if Texas leaves first or CU takes a Pac 10 spot tomorrow, then Dr Tom gets runover by Texas again. Seems like a sad position for Dr Tom to be in.
Colorado leaving to the PAC 10 sticks it in Texas' ass and the Baylor plea. Nebraska could give a shit.
Ultimately, Texas will always be hated by the Baptists if they bolt at any point after that..that will leave Taco Tech out as well...more anomosity in North Mexico's borders.
Don't forget, Texas will not govern a league, nor have their our TV network if the go to any other conference.
Regardless of who makes the first move to jump from the Big XII, I still fail to see how that is NU sticking it to Texas. So NU ends up in the Big 10 now Big XII and Texas ends up in the Pac 16. NU get zero prop 48 athletes in that conf and they both get more TV money. That is really sticking it to Texas. So maybe it isn't Texas and OU and the 10 dwarfs, but more TV money and not having Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, etc is more than adequate.

I also think you are way to hung up on Texas in this. If OU doesn't side with Texas back in 1995 and the formation of the conference then Texas doesn't control the Big XII like they do. OU should get more of the NU anger from where I am sitting.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

mvscal wrote:Not really sure why the departure of Nebraska and, possibly, Mizzwho? should signal the death of the Big 12.

Help a brotha out here.
TV revenue, chances are Fox ain't gonna pony up large amounts of cash for OU, Texas, and A&M games verses the likes of Baylor, Tex. Tech, Iowa St. Kansas St. Okie Lite, and Kansas. Too may blow-outs in that senerio. Plus Texas wants it's own TV gig that weakens any major networks investment.
The north would lose it's best two football teams if both NU and MU go and I'm sorry Tiger fans, the natioinal media knows this is about Nebraska's clout, not Missouri's.
Nebraska has a ton of eyeballs outside it's borders and is a Top 12 revenue team in the NCAA.
45 years of success still remains in the minds of many college football fans.. we're called baby boomers and we have the money at this point in time. So many people
became Nebraska fans in the 70s 80s and 90s outside of this state.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

As a Texas fan, I'm sure gonna miss those guaranteed wins in Lincoln every few years.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The PAC16 AKA "Surf 'n Turf Conference" is all over local sports media.

Just so long as Texas realizes they don't make the rules any more.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:The PAC16 AKA "Surf 'n Turf Conference" is all over local sports media.

Just so long as Texas realizes they don't make the rules any more.
i have it on pretty decent authority from a buddy in the lower levels of the CU admin that it's happened. CU-Baylor in Boulder on Oct. 16 is gonna be a hot ticket if CU message boards are to be believed....after 48 hours of BU's reps and Texas politicos ripping CU.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

i have it on pretty decent authority from a buddy in the lower levels of the CU admin that it's happened
That what has happened? Sorry, I've read so much rumor over the last 48 hours that my head is spinning.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
i have it on pretty decent authority from a buddy in the lower levels of the CU admin that it's happened
That what has happened? Sorry, I've read so much rumor over the last 48 hours that my head is spinning.
I think he means the Pac-16, with Colorado going instead of Baylor.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Degenerate wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
I think he means the Pac-16, with Colorado going instead of Baylor.
yeah, sorry, i was unclear. at least that CU is getting an offer. Chris Defrense has an LA Times article up that says CU is the Pac #1 target either way...with our without the South teams.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_ ... rence.html
"
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Left Seater wrote:Regardless of who makes the first move to jump from the Big XII, I still fail to see how that is NU sticking it to Texas. So NU ends up in the Big 10 now Big XII and Texas ends up in the Pac 16. NU get zero prop 48 athletes in that conf and they both get more TV money. That is really sticking it to Texas. So maybe it isn't Texas and OU and the 10 dwarfs, but more TV money and not having Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, etc is more than adequate.

I also think you are way to hung up on Texas in this. If OU doesn't side with Texas back in 1995 and the formation of the conference then Texas doesn't control the Big XII like they do. OU should get more of the NU anger from where I am sitting.
I believe I mentioned Colorado's move sticks it to Texas..not Nebraska's. Which is relative to the PAC 10 issue only. Like I said eariler in the thread Texas will be just fine no matter what. That's a given.

Nebraska has no elusions of reverting to Prop 48 players for goodness sake. That has no bearing in 2010. That was a then issue. Sadly, the success stories of kids that had no chance to go to college other than prop 48 and graduated with a degree and went on to be community assests is lost in the Lawence Phillips' of the world. Nebraska had more successes than failures in those regards but they don't make sports center. (Let the pile on begin, we're used to it) Thing is Osborne knows these guys and they thank him for the opportunity he was able to give them back in the day. I don't expect anyone on a national message board to give two shits of the good this did for a large number of young men who couldn't afford nor were given the education by the high school systems across his country to have a chance to succeed.
It's clear only the people of this state truly know Osborne does care for people before football...(save the shit comments haters)

I do agree OU lies in the weeds with Texas, it's just Texas is the bell cow and OU kinda lets them take the bullets yet still steps up to the window and cashes tickets. After all 70% of their team comes from Texas..no? Like I said, they chose Texas over NU at the birth of the conference. That's never been lost on Nebraska, which is another reason Nebraska holds no allegiance to the conference.

My point is Nebraska has never had any say in a conference they were once a standard bearer since Texas "joined" the league after being a member and fellow cheater in the most embarrasing conference in NCAA history. It's not only on Texas, the rest of the confernce has a history of voting in favor of anything that seemingly favors Texas, because they know who butter's their bread, well, Nebraska just hasn't ever felt that they like the taste of what Texas is cookin'.

You see, as an NU fan we've had to pay for 5 PPV games each of the last two seasons, yet I can see Texas on ABC nearly every Saturday. Yeah, thats' on ABC, but why didn't Texas /OU lead the way to demand the conference a TV contract to match the SEC or Big 10 to benefit their "brothers"?...hint: THEY KNEW THEIR PRODUCT WOULD GET PICKED UP EVER DAMN SATURDAY....! And the networks knew Nebraska fan would pony up the dough due to their love of their team. I can assure you PPV will not like NU's move.

This is one reason...we're leavin'...
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Badass deal for Nebraska fans. Big 10 or Big 12, they both have tie- ins to the Alamo Bowl so your fan base will not skip a beat.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

edit: Big Ten no longer has an Alamo tie-in.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Cornhusker wrote:Nebraska has no elusions
Good job laying down some of that Cornholer 'Nowledge' on us, you illiterate tard.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Left Seater wrote:So NU ends up in the Big 10 now Big XII and Texas ends up in the Pac 16.
I really wonder of Texas surrenders their power and own TV network to join the PAC 10....I'm not convienced. They don't need the revenue.
I believe they'll do their best to re-design their league. They'll have OU and A&M and won't have to worry about power struggles with west coast surfer dude.
I still think it's been a smoke screen to get NU to stay.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

mvscal wrote: Cornholer 'Nowledge'
origi·nal·ity (ə rij′i nal′ə tē)
noun
1.the quality or condition of being original
2.the ability to be inventive or creative

You lose.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Texas and ND should just tell everyone to go fuck themselves and go/stay independent. Texas should sign a deal with fox and agree on a 10 year deal to play ND with the games alternating broadcast hosts. Then texas should add OU and aTm to the fixed schedule as well. Let's get fucking crazy here people
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Cornhusker wrote:
mvscal wrote: Cornholer 'Nowledge'
origi·nal·ity (ə rij′i nal′ə tē)
noun
1.the quality or condition of being original
2.the ability to be inventive or creative

You lose.
Evidently the point "illudes" you. You epitomize the stereotype of an illiterate fuck puddle from NU. A point which we merely note and then move on. Will you still be gumming our balls this ferociously after you leave?
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

campinfool wrote:As a Texas fan, I'm sure gonna miss those guaranteed wins in Lincoln every few years.

Actually even coming off the trainwreck Callahan years we've been getting to better bowls than the Alamo, congrats on the failed flame there.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Harvdog wrote:
Sudden Sam wrote:
Harvdog wrote: Texas was against partial qualifiers. Nebraska wanted guys who couldn't score 700 on the SAT. Here is a novel concept....Student Athletes. That is the whole point of college. If you cannot get a 2.0 in your core classes and get over 700 on the SAT...hello fastfood career.
Uh....Vince Young?
Really? I was not aware of that. Can you send a link from the NCAA Clearinghouse showing what his grades were?

The issue is simple and it goes back to the formation of the conference. There were several disagreements between Nebraska and Texas. The biggest was academic qualifications. Texas said no to Proposition 48 recruits, and Nebraska wanted them on an exception basis. When they voted on the issue it was 11-1. The only vote was Nebraska because they knew how much their 1995 MNC team relied on Partial Qualifiers. TO knows this and he knows that he cannot compete without it. The Big-10 allows partial qualifiers. Texas voted for the use of JC players that started Prop48 but they had to make the grades to be admitted. Since the formation of the conference, I cannot think of 1 JC transfer that has come to Texas.

I honestly expected better from you harv, pretty few starters on those championship squads were prop48. Plus I would hope you realize those prop 48's have to get their academic act together before ever seeing the field. We lost and dropped the prop48 deal long ago. It's you guys that keep bringing it up. We aren't going for prop48's we're going for the massive research grants membership in the CIC(look it up if you don't know what it is) would grant the university plus a much better tv-contract and improved exposure.

Prop 48? Really? I thought the guys on this board were above this sort of stupidity.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

campinfool wrote:As a Texas fan, I'm sure gonna miss those guaranteed wins in Lincoln every few years.

I bet you miss the "phantom second" shit calls in CCG's and unequal (your favor) revenue sharing because "We're Texas!", too. TexASS will not be calling the shots wherever they end up. The Big 12 will be done as soon as Nebraska bolts. Fuck Texas.

The new Big 10 will have 26% of the nations population to watch and recruit from. We're talking serious jack here you slobbering fucking mongoloid (typical Tejas).

Your conference overlord days are OVER! Reap it bitches. Just don't kick your open-legged in-state sluts to the curb just yet...you still need someone to kick around when your not making booty calls on league vote nights. USC, Oregon, Cal, UCLA? Yea...you're going to tell them how things are :lol:

Kansas? KSU? Iowa State? fuck 'em.....I seem to remember an 11-1 league vote back in the day. Eat your texas-style shit sandwich boys.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

H4ever wrote: Your conference overlord days are OVER!
Highly unlikely. Money talks and bullshit...well, it snivels away to the Big 10.

http://www.businesspundit.com/the-12-mo ... -football/
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

If the PAC-16 comes about, I have heard that it would most likely be the two 8 team divisions where you play every team in your division and one team from the other division so that would limit the large travel miles from say Texas to the Left Coast and vice versa. That puts the PAC-16 at 8 conference games where they used to have 9, and pride themselves for that.

Interesting to see how that is going to work....
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

War Wagon wrote:

My further hope is that the Big XII will negotiate better TV contracts to make staying more lucrative and that they'll start sharing the revenue equally, or at least more equal than it is now.
Ummm.....when the Big XII was formed, there was a vote on this and the Big XII North wanted none of this. It took 9 votes to set the rules and it was you get what you make. It would take 9 votes to change it and I really do not think that Texas, OU, NU, A&M, want to help pay for Missouri to be a "better" school. Nebraska was the big fish 15 years ago and they were adamant about not sharing revenue. Missouri voted against it as well. Just because no one gives a flying fuck about Missouri outside of St. Louis and Kansas City is no reason to start asking for conference welfare. Try this....put a good product on the field for for than 3 years in a row. Try playing in a stadium that is bigger than some High School stadiums in Texas. Have an alumni base that actually cares about the school. Charge for the product and your revenues will expand.

When I got my season tickets to Texas football 16 years ago, I paid $200 for 2 seats on the Texas side on the 40 yard line. This year, my renewal was $950. Big difference. The face value for a ticket is $80-$90 depending on the game. The stadium holds 100K. Back in 1994 the stadium held 75K and really, only 50K-60K showed up. The face on the tickets were $15-$25. The team was stuck in the same rut as Missouri....7-5,8-4 and could never get over the hump. Enter Mack Brown and Deloss Dodds and the entire athletic program explodes. With that infusion of winning came cash. That cash allowed Texas to expand the stadium and build the best facilities in the league and some of the best in the nation. As the team got better, networks wanted to broadcast them. With that exposure comes more cash. If Texas and OU didn't put a good product on the field no one outside of this area would care. But, we both did and it increased the exposure of the conference and that lead to money. Does NU want more? Of course. They may get more in the Big 10 but they are going to lose their exposure in the recruiting hot bed of the southwest. Don't hate Texas because we played by the rules that were set at the beginning of the game.

Does Texas run the conference? Yes. But if you ask that other 10 AD's in the BIg XII they will all say the same thing about DeLoss Dodds. He is a straight shooter and has the best interests of his school and the conference at heart. That being said, I think that if we go the PAC-10, it won't be long until Texas will big the big fish in that pond. When you lead the nation in revenue, you get a say. You don't have to agree but it is what it is. The PAC-10 get get more exposure by bringing in Texas, OU, A&M etc. This will lead to more revenue and more money for the conference.
Danimal wrote:
I honestly expected better from you harv, pretty few starters on those championship squads were prop48. Plus I would hope you realize those prop 48's have to get their academic act together before ever seeing the field. We lost and dropped the prop48 deal long ago. It's you guys that keep bringing it up. We aren't going for prop48's we're going for the massive research grants membership in the CIC(look it up if you don't know what it is) would grant the university plus a much better tv-contract and improved exposure.

Prop 48? Really? I thought the guys on this board were above this sort of stupidity.
I understand how Prop 48 works. I also know how walk-ons work. But you say something that is totally off. There were a ton of starters for NU in the 90's that were Prop48. I got his little tidbit from the Omaha World Herald:
NU Fish wrap wrote:
Walk-ons give Nebraska an edge on Saturdays, but Big Red still needs difference-makers. And signing non- and partial qualifiers was a useful tool during the Big Eight era. The Big 12, however, prohibited non-qualifiers and limited partial qualifiers in football to one per year, effectively forcing those prospects to attend junior college if they wanted to pursue a Division I career.
The change derailed Nebraska, which had relied on Proposition 48 players. Prop 48 stated that an athlete who didn't fully qualify could be granted a scholarship, but he had to sit out his freshman season and lose one year of eligibility. Charles Fryar, Derek Brown, Johnny Mitchell, Clinton Childs, Shevin Wiggins and Eric Johnson were “Props.” Look at the non- and partial qualifiers who became starters on the Huskers' three national title teams:

Dwayne Harris, 1994
Barron Miles, '94
Tyrone Williams, '94-'95
Christian Peter, '94-'95
Reggie Baul, '95
Jamel Williams, '95
Jared Tomich, '95
Michael Booker, '95
Eric Warfield, '97
I think it is pretty obvious for NU that if those guys are not on those teams, you may be looking at few less MNC's in the trophy case. It clearly states that NU relied on Prop 48 athletes. Since the Big XII formed, NU has gone downhill. They are no longer the 3 headed monster. I personally think it irks Tom Osbourne and his ego is going to be the end of the conference.

Good luck to NU. Instead of playing 3rd in the Big XII, you are now going to be 4th in the Big 10.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

IndyFrisco wrote:If the PAC-16 comes about, I have heard that it would most likely be the two 8 team divisions where you play every team in your division and one team from the other division so that would limit the large travel miles from say Texas to the Left Coast and vice versa. That puts the PAC-16 at 8 conference games where they used to have 9, and pride themselves for that.

Interesting to see how that is going to work....
I've heard that they will keep the 9-game conference schedule, with a guaranteed game every year vs. every team in your division, plus two inter-divisional games per year on a rotating basis.

With the Big East possibly picking up the Big XII leftovers (except for Baylor), that means that the remaining BCS conferences all will likely have a CCG in the very near future.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State could join with Notre Dame to form a new conference: The Irrelevant Six.

Nice to see the return of the Pac-8, if only as a conference division.

And I can’t wait for the traditional Texas-Nebraska Rose Bowl matchup.
Last edited by Goober McTuber on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: I've heard that they will keep the 9-game conference schedule, with a guaranteed game every year vs. every team in your division, plus two inter-divisional games per year on a rotating basis.
this 7 and 2 arrangement is what i'm hearing for now as well.

as far as KU to the Big East, i'd like to see KU land on their feet. i'm at least as big a hoops fan as football and while i can't claim to like KU basketball i don't like seeing football TV revenue scabdick the basketball landscape to such a degree that one of the great programs is left on the outside (saw a quote from Self saying it would really affect his ability to recruit).....just because Kansas doesn't have as many mouth-breathers who buy wings every time the Domino's commercials come on as more populated parts of the nation.

i'm also keeping a list of Vandy slams. you pig-knuckle eating SEC illiterates better watch yo'self. :evil:
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

King Crimson wrote:as far as KU to the Big East, i'd like to see KU land on their feet. i'm at least as big a hoops fan as football and while i can't claim to like KU basketball i don't like seeing football TV revenue scabdick the basketball landscape to such a degree that one of the great programs is left on the outside (saw a quote from Self saying it would really affect his ability to recruit).....just because Kansas doesn't have as many mouth-breathers who buy wings every time the Domino's commercials come on as more populated parts of the nation.
I think that, combined with the Big East's feel that it could be vulnerable, is what is driving this possible move. Putting Kansas in the Big East makes that conference as tough as any that ever existed in basketball, imho. I think the Big East would be a better fit for Self when it comes to recruiting than the MWC would be.

I originally thought that Kansas would be a better geographic fit in the MWC, but after mapquesting it (sue me), I found out that's not really the case. Distance from Lawrence, rounded to nearest whole mile, per mapquest:

Closest school in conference
Big East: 548 miles (Louisville).
MWC: 515 miles (TCU).

Farthest school in conference
Big East: 1,435 miles (Providence). Among football schools, 1,388 miles (UConn).
MWC: 1,565 miles (San Diego State).
i'm also keeping a list of Vandy slams. you pig-knuckle eating SEC illiterates better watch yo'self. :evil:
Hey, I haven't made any of those in this thread. :mrgreen:
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: I originally thought that Kansas would be a better geographic fit in the MWC, but after mapquesting it (sue me), I found out that's not really the case. Distance from Lawrence, rounded to nearest whole mile, per mapquest:

Closest school in conference
Big East: 548 miles (Louisville).
MWC: 515 miles (TCU).

Farthest school in conference
Big East: 1,435 miles (Providence). Among football schools, 1,388 miles (UConn).
MWC: 1,565 miles (San Diego State).
i made this same point, more or less, on a Colorado board earlier this AM....that KU and not inconceivably MU, KSU to the Big East wasn't so far-fetched. Kansas and Missouri have no necessary gravitation west instead of east.
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Hey, I haven't made any of those in this thread. :mrgreen:
but, you aren't denying that you eat pig-knuckles? :wink:
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry: here's an article that makes your same point.

Take a minute to picture a basketball conference featuring the following: Kansas, Kansas State, Syracuse, Villanova, West Virginia, Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown. If the Big Ten decided to not go to 16, you could even find yourself retaining Pittsburgh and Notre Dame, too. That doesn't even account for UConn and Cincinnati, programs traditionally strong over the last two decades who are experiencing something of a down period.

There would undoubtedly be some skepticism about the distances involved when it comes to travel -- in fact, I already had that tweeted at me once -- but the fact remains that the distance from Kansas to Syracuse is actually shorter than from South Florida to Syracuse. If they made it work for a school, which, with all due respect, doesn't have half the history, tradition and prestige that KU does, why wouldn't they make it work with the Jayhawks
?

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sp ... per_league
"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

The only potential problem I can see with that conference is that it would have 20 members, which may be too big. 1-2 schools might have to go, particularly since many of the schools are relatively small Catholic schools with no football team to bring in revenue to offset the travel costs. If the Big East were to get rid of some teams, I would bet that Providence and/or Seton Hall would be let go.

That's kind of sad, since both schools were charter members of the Big East. And while the Big East as it first existed was a really nice basketball conference in the 80's, a lot has changed since then. The Big East has needed to adapt significantly in order to continue to survive, and this may be only the most recent of the necessary adaptions.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Any school without a FBS/1-A football team in a "super conference" should get dropped.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

JFC, Terry, enough with the geographical machinations. They don't matter anymore. You do realize the PACIFIC Ten conference is about to accept four schools from the state of Texas, don't you?

And KU to the Big East? Can you explain why a conference whose non-private school members are swimming in red ink athletically (Rutgers alone carries a staggering $95m in debt, which is twice its annual revenue) is going to invite large public research and/or land grant schools (outside their conf profile, btw) that do nothing for the football end of the financial equation except make it worse?

KU is fucked short-term. Long-term, if the B10/SEC/ACC think 16 is the way to go, they've got cards to play.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Oh, and Colorado's gone according to ESPN.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Seems like the Big 10 and the Big 12 could just swap conference names now.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Degenerate wrote:And KU to the Big East? Can you explain why a conference whose non-private school members are swimming in red ink athletically (Rutgers alone carries a staggering $95m in debt, which is twice its annual revenue) is going to invite large public research and/or land grant schools (outside their conf profile, btw) that do nothing for the football end of the financial equation except make it worse?
My best guess is they're going with the strength in numbers theory. The Big East is also vulnerable, in the Big East's case, to raids from the Big 10 and/or ACC (which in turn might get raided by the Big 10, which reportedly has some interest in Maryland, and the SEC). Adding Iowa State, KU, K-State and Mizzou to the conference increases the odds that the conference survives such a raid. They'll probably worry about the revenue end of the equation later, much as the Big XII did in '96.

Btw, aren't you a KU alum living in DC? You do realize that if KU does wind up in the Big East, that will mean, in all likelihood, a basketball roadtrip to Georgetown every other year, don't you? Why look a gift horse in the mouth?
KU is fucked short-term. Long-term, if the B10/SEC/ACC think 16 is the way to go, they've got cards to play.
Not if this takes a decade or longer to play out. In that case, the Big East is their best option at least in the short term. Not to mention that the Pac, as I previously stated, now provides a real-life test case to determine whether 16 works.