Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Re: Big Ten Expansion Yet Again

Post by Adelpiero »

Seems like MU is in. several sources claiming them as in. Not only because of Location, but the #2 and #4 tv markets in big12.

Deinhart says it's MU,NU,Rutgers,Sryacuse, and Pitt. 2 8 team divisions,
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:I think Texas is more realistic than people think.
Completely and totally agree.
PSUFAN wrote:Teams that are distant from the existing Big 10 area would indeed present new financial challenges to the conference. Travel costs are nothing to sneer at - and if all of the sports conference schools support - everything from the Chess Teams to BTPCF - have to travel long distances, then some poor fool's going to get a tuition hike.
It's not like they're going to have to book flights to Billings, MT.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Travel costs are nothing to sneer at
Amen.

Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Adelpiero wrote:Seems like MU is in. several sources claiming them as in. Not only because of Location, but the #2 and #4 tv markets in big12.

Deinhart says it's MU,NU,Rutgers,Sryacuse, and Pitt. 2 8 team divisions,

Take it for what it's worth but a guy on the husker homerboard just said the same thing. Said he'd talked to a guy with Mizzou's athletic dept and was told the tiggers were in. Congrats to you and war wagon if true but let's wait and see, rumors do fly, especially in the internet-age.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MU, NU, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt.
What the hell is even in this for the Big 10?

They're picking up one traditional power in football, and it's debatable as to whether Nebraska will ever return to power. Even their own fans are constantly saying that times have changed, and they're probably never going to return to those Glory Days Of Yore.

Pitt can be occasionally decent in football, but that's about it.

The other three are simply perennial cannon fodder.

Basketball? Okay, Syracuse is usually as good as anyone in the Big 10, and Pitt's been pretty good of late - but only of late. The other three are cannon fodder.

Additional TV markets? Well, to a degree, but does anybody in NYC or the Tri-State area really watch Rutgers? Picking up the Pittsburgh and K.C. markets, okay, sure, but it's not like the Big 10 was hurting for TV revenue anyway, what with Chicago being their main hub.

I just know that if I'm SECBSH, I look at that prospective conference and yawn. If anything, unless Nebraska somehow becomes Nebraska again, it looks like the Big 10 will become even weaker overall. These additions certainly don't threaten the Meatgrinder, especially if they go ahead and pick up the teams they're rumored to be wooing.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Van, Pitt would currently add a lot to b10 hoops. The case has been made that this has been due to bEast membership, but myself, I think Pitt might do even better as a b10 school. Pitt doesn't add anything in the way of TV market, as they get the same coverage as State College.

I'm still having a hard time believing that schools like Nebraska would consider a conference change. If the b10 expands and adds teams like that, then we're talking about nothing less than a sea change in college sports.

I don't think college sports should seek to become bigger and more glitzy. It's going to be tough preserving what is great about college sports if they overextend.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

What people have to remember is that this is more than an athletic decision. The strength of the academic programs will be weighed heavily when the Big 10 and CIC considers adding anyone. For that reason alone, I doubt any hair trigger moves will be done in the near future.

And adding those teams wouldn't do much for the Big 10, outside of Nebraska and possibly Missouri.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Money, duh. They don't give two shits about the glamour that you're carrying on about. Unfortunately.
Killian

Post by Killian »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Money, duh. They don't give two shits about the glamour that you're carrying on about. Unfortunately.
But how do those teams help financially? Every team in the Big 10 gets about $22M a year. Adding those teams don't add that many new viewers or TV markets (outside of Nebraska and Missouri) so they are taking their pie and slicing it thinner.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Syracuse and Rutgers specifically carry the POTENTIAL of the NYC market.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Syracuse and Rutgers specifically carry the POTENTIAL of the NYC market.
Potential, true. But people in NYC aren't college football fans. I bet getting Texas or Notre Dame would do as much in the NYC market as those two teams.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Killian wrote:But people in NYC aren't college football fans.
Very true. I remember growing up that you'd mostly get Penn State games and that was about it.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Killian wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Syracuse and Rutgers specifically carry the POTENTIAL of the NYC market.
Potential, true. But people in NYC aren't college football fans. I bet getting Texas or Notre Dame would do as much in the NYC market as those two teams.
Yup. Adding ND and Texas would be worth doing. These five teams? Not so much.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

There are 8 million "tv homes" in NYC. The city may not be known for cfb, but even just a drop from an ocean that size is still pretty lucrative.

Let's see your spreadsheets, smart guys. If not for the money, why are they doing this?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

^^Someone gets it.
Killian

Post by Killian »

No, I completely agree that they are doing it for money. Which is why I think this latest rumor is a bunch of horse shit. Rutugers or Syracuse won't draw a huge TV audience from NY. Missouri would bring in KC and STL, but the other teams bring nothing to the table.

I think this is being floated out there by some of the parties envolved, to try to get an invitation. The Big 10 doesn't need to expand right now. They blow away every other conference in terms of revenue and profit sharing. They can afford to be very, very picky. All the teams being mentioned this go around want to be a part of this for numerous reasons.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Mgo, nobody is disagreeing with you that this is all about money. That's a given. It's the rest of it that's so puzzling.

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Killian wrote:
As I understand it, it has to do with fees the Big 10 receives for the BTN being on the cable market. I could have it wrong, but I believe the Big 10 gets $.10 per monthly cable subscriber bill in areas where BTN is available but outside the Big 10 footprint, but $1.10 per monthly cable subscriber bill in areas where BTN is available and inside the Big 10 footprint. It's more about that than ratings.

When you're talking about the NYC area, the difference between that area being inside the Big 10's footprint and outside is potentially staggering. That is why schools like Syracuse and Rutgers (and also UConn) become so desirable to the Big 10. Those schools put the NYC area within the Big 10 footprint. Even though there are probably as many ND fans in the NYC area as Rutgers or Syracuse fans, ND can't bring the NYC area within the Big 10 footprint. In the end, it's more about the number of warm bodies within the geographic footprint than it is about on-field quality, or even ratings for that matter.

And fwiw, going back to Adel's point, WNDU in South Bend is also reporting that Missouri will join the Big Ten, followed by Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3868 ... -to-big-10
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

sources telling me, that Missouri,nebraska, and Rutgers have been offered.

The wait is On Notre Dame, they have been offered and the Big10 has given them a time limit on their decision. If ND doesn't accept, Syracuse and Pitt will be the other 2 choices.

They also said expect the Big12 and Pac10 to work on a multi conference type tv deal. As both hope to keep their conference in order, with Pac10 possibly adding 2 teams and Big12 replacing Mu and NU.

Also, the SEC is going to be proactive, and they are looking at Clemson and georgia tech as their first moves.

Who knows, untill the ink is dry, it's all specualtion!
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Adelpiero wrote:sources telling me, that Missouri,nebraska, and Rutgers have been offered.

The wait is On Notre Dame, they have been offered and the Big10 has given them a time limit on their decision. If ND doesn't accept, Syracuse and Pitt will be the other 2 choices.

They also said expect the Big12 and Pac10 to work on a multi conference type tv deal. As both hope to keep their conference in order, with Pac10 possibly adding 2 teams and Big12 replacing Mu and NU.

Also, the SEC is going to be proactive, and they are looking at Clemson and georgia tech as their first moves.

Who knows, untill the ink is dry, it's all specualtion!

Is it possible to indulge what that source may be? I know moles are everywhere from the NU media trying to get a grasp of the Big 10's pulse.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but if NU and Mu were offered I'd think it would be known in these parts.

I have heard talk of the possible Big 12 and PAC 10 merger if we split to the Big 10 but that just feels like a "what -if" at this point which is just what all this talk is as you said.

I believe NU only gets offered if ND refuses and the Big 10 takes 5 teams instead of 3.

Mizzou holds all the cards and is a shoe-in for expansion to the Big 10.

I hope Osborne gets the offer. I firmly believe his distaste with Texass calling the shots in the league would be a no brainer move on his part.
I'm sure Pelini hates the conference (Beebe) due to Texass' "extra second" play in the conference title game. Plus he's a Big 10 guy.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Is it possible to indulge what that source may be?
His deadbeat bookie, who heard from a friend, who read it on yahoo.com.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Great, now I've got Fleetwod Mac stuck in my head.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Fleetwood Mac? REO Speedwagon? Huh?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shit. Is there a difference?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Shit. Is there a difference?
yeah, big diff. Kevin Cronin is the only female in REO. F Mac has two chicks.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I don't get the Rutgers deal. They're in Jersey not New York and aren't going to deliver what passes for New York's college football following. They're ratings aren't so hot now, don't see how much of a difference changing cons would make.

Mizzou seems to be the team getting the most talk and of course they've openly showed interest. They aren't a traditional power but are good and have big potential along with the St. Louis and KC markets. I think they're probably gone. Neb talk is getting pretty hot now, even some rumors going around about the PAC looking. Word is there is a lot going on behind the scenes with TO, our pres, and some others with pull. Thing is, what concessions would that POS Beebe and the 12 give in order to stay intact?
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

My sources are 2 Sportswriters i went to highschool with, one writes for CoMo paper, and another writes for a paper in another Big12 city.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Adelpiero wrote:sources telling me, that Missouri,nebraska, and Rutgers have been offered.
Don't know if that's the case yet, but these seem to be the schools most likely to get offered.

Mizzou has openly showed interest and brings the KC market to the BTN (the BTN might already have the St. Louis market via Illinois). As for Rutgers, while ratings in NYC is an open question, they do bring the NYC market within the BTN's footprint, and if what I've heard is true, that means a huge revenue difference. Nebraska, meanwhile, fits the "traditional power" mold, of which at least one will be necessary for the Big Ten. Further, while Nebraska doesn't bring that many eyeballs to the table from the BTN standpoint, Nebraska football is the only game in town, for all intensive purposes, and you can't say that about the other schools under consideration.
I think your source is full of shit on this point, not necessarily in terms of what will happen, but certainly in terms of what has happened so far.

I don't claim to have all the information, but I have been following ND Nation pretty closely over the past few weeks about this very issue. As many on here have noted, there are some very plugged-in posters over there. Granted, there's also a very strong anti-Big 10 sentiment among the overwhelming majority of posters there. But if ND were offered, I don't think the response would be to stick their collective heads in the sand and hope for the best. Rather, I think the approach would be to post it so that everyone knew what was going down, then a bunch of "what can we do to stop this" type of brainstorming threads.

Syracuse and Pitt as the backup plan makes sense if at least part of the goal behind expansion is to force ND into a choice between joining the Big Ten and risking isolation. If the goal is to maximize the benefits to the Big Ten, not so much. Then again, Penn State has been the most vocal expansion advocate, and in a 16-team conference, Penn State probably is gonna want a significant conference presence in the northeast as well.
I have heard this as well, although I think part of the idea involves the Pac-10 going to 12 as well. In all likelihood, that means the Pac-10 adds Colorado and Utah. In turn, that means the Big XII now needs to replace three teams. The most likely candidates would be Arkansas, Boise State, BYU, Colorado State, Houston, New Mexico and TCU. Arkansas is probably at the top of the Big XII wishlist in this scenario, but I don't think the Big XII in a weakened state wants to take on the Meatgrinder in this fashion. The others all would accept in a heartbeat, but all have some problems. Boise State is a geographic orphan (and without any significant TV markets); Colorado State brings the Denver market, for what that's worth, but very little else; Houston and TCU bring no new TV markets to the table. On the plus side, Houston, TCU and possibly New Mexico would allow Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to switch to the North Division, which would bring more balance to the division split, but then you'd need a mandatory crossover game if you want to continue the RRSO.

The proposal I've heard is that each school from the two conferences would play two OOC games vs. teams from the other conference each year, one home and one away. I can understand why the Big XII wants to do that. But on the Pac-10 side of the equation, I definitely could see Stanford and, more importantly, USC, opposing the proposal. If the Pac-10 continues the 9-game conference schedule (admittedly less incentive to do so if they expand to 12), between the 9 conference games, 2 Big XII opponents and ND, their entire football schedules are spoken for, and there's no discretion involved in scheduling on their part.
Florida State and Miami make more sense for the Meatgrinder to me. But perhaps they consider Clemson and Georgia Tech to be the low-hanging fruit, and/or they further isolate Florida State and Miami from the rest of the conference if they take Clemson and Georgia Tech first.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Take it for what it's worth but I heard on local chicago radio that Nebraska, Mizzou, Rutgers, and ND have been offered.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Take it for what it's worth but I heard on local chicago radio that Nebraska, Mizzou, Rutgers, and ND have been offered.
http://www.mlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2 ... invit.html

Report: Big Ten to extend invitations to Notre Dame, Missouri, Nebraska and Rutgers
By Philip Zaroo | MLive.com
May 10, 2010, 2:39PM

According to a report, the Big Ten will extend offers to Notre Dame, Rutgers, Nebraska and Missouri to join the conference. Citing "multiple sources close to the negotiations," a Missouri radio station says the Big Ten will extend invitations to join the conference to Notre Dame, Missouri, Nebraska and Rutgers.

The offers cannot become official, however, until the Big Ten's Council of Presidents/Chancellors meets June 1 in Chicago.

There is more than one possibility for expansion, most likely based upon Notre Dame's decision to maintain its independent status in football (the school is a member of the Big East conference for other sports).

If Missouri and Nebraska – both members of the Big 12 conference – elect to join, they would become the Big Ten's 12th and 13th members.

Should the Fighting Irish decide to become the 14th member, Rutgers would then become the 15th, and the Big Ten would look for another school to make it a 16-team league.

If Notre Dame declines, Rutgers would become the 14th team. At that point, the Big Ten would have to decide if it wants to stop the expansion at 14 teams or if it still wants to aim for 16 teams by finding two other teams.

Though Big Ten officials have consistently denied they're close to making a decision regarding the expansion, the report says they would like the process to come to a conclusion in the near future.

ESPN Radio - WHB-AM 810: Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal announcement coming no later than July.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Killian

Post by Killian »

I'd be completely shocked if the Big 10 "invited" anyone that hadn't already 100 percent guaranteed it'd accept. Especially ND (getting declined publicly isn't a huge deal, but it doesn't help when it's happened before).

So:

1. This report is as false as the rest.
2. ND has accepted and is coming to the Big 10.
3. The Big 10 is stupidly setting itself up for another public rejection.

I'm going with the first option.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Just what we need here in the Big 10. Buncha redneck hillbillies from Misery and Nebraska. We’ve already got Iowa, isn’t that enough?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Killian wrote:I'd be completely shocked if the Big 10 "invited" anyone that hadn't already 100 percent guaranteed it'd accept. Especially ND (getting declined publicly isn't a huge deal, but it doesn't help when it's happened before).

So:

1. This report is as false as the rest.
2. ND has accepted and is coming to the Big 10.
3. The Big 10 is stupidly setting itself up for another public rejection.

I'm going with the first option.
4. They are trying to force ND's hand
Killian

Post by Killian »

How so? In this hypothetical, ND could then join the Big East which would be an easier path to the BCS than the Big 10, and both parties would be better off financially. Adding ND to the mix would also help the Big East.

The only card the Big 10 can play here would be the academic side (which is huge, and vastly over looked in all of this).
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Why would ND want to join a gutted Big East? That's what could happen if they say no.
Killian

Post by Killian »

It would be the same Big East, sans Rutgers with the coach who ran roughshod over that league with teams with less talent.

They would have a much easier shot at the BCS than if they were to join the Big 10.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

Goober McTuber wrote:Just what we need here in the Big 10. Buncha redneck hillbillies from Misery and Nebraska. We’ve already got Iowa, isn’t that enough?
Let's just get this cleared up right here and now now dairy boy, the hillbillies are from Misey, the rednecks are from Nebraska...I'll let it slide this one time..
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Killian wrote:It would be the same Big East, sans Rutgers with the coach who ran roughshod over that league with teams with less talent.

They would have a much easier shot at the BCS than if they were to join the Big 10.
They could make a run at two more Big East schools if ND says no.

From a pure revenue standpoint, you'd have to think ND is better off in the Big Ten what with the BTN as well as its restructured bowl contracts. Four bowl games now outside of the BCS that will be paying out about $3.5 million per team.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Cornhusker wrote:the hillbillies are from Misey, the rednecks are from Nebraska.
:lol:

I have nothing to add to that.