Parmesan Cajun Cod - AA Style

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Arch Angel
Elwood

Parmesan Cajun Cod - AA Style

Post by Arch Angel »

You can substitute with Haddock or the espensive Halibut. Since the wife is Catholic, she request this alot.

All ingredients are either fat free or light variety.

4 10 oz Cod Loins
1 1/2 cup of melted fat free or light butter
1 cup of premade Cajun seasonings (Zatarains)
1/4 cup of Lite Olive Oil
1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cup of shaved Parmesan cheese flakes
1 tbl pepper (to taste)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set tray to highest level closest to heating element

2. Take 1 cup of melted butter and pour into a casserole dish to fit the size of the fish then sprinkle pepper evenly, then set aside

3. Pour olive oil into frying pan spread thinly and heat.

4. Pour the rest of butter and the Cajun seasonings into a mixing bowl. It should be thick enough to be used as paste.

5. Brush the fish with a layer of paste to about 1/8 of an inch and fry it in the pan (make sure it is really hot so it sears and cooks quickly)

6. After searing the paste on the fish, sit the uncooked bottom side of fish into the casserole dish and you should see the butter rise to the sides.

7. Cook for like 20 to 30 minutes. After 20 minutes, pour the Parmesan flakes over the top of the crusted fish until it melts.

Garnish with Parsley

If you really like flavor, mix a 1/4 cup of melted butter, 1/8 cup half & half cream, ground Parmesan and lemon juice to make sauce to pour over it.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Parmesan Cajun Cod - AA Style

Post by Goober McTuber »

Arch Angel wrote:1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set tray to highest level closest to heating element
So are you broiling this? Because in most gas ovens the heat comes from the bottom, the top element kicks in only for broiling.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Yeah, I forgot to put broiling.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Arch Angel wrote:1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set tray to highest level closest to heating element
So are you broiling this? Because in most gas ovens the heat comes from the bottom, the top element kicks in only for broiling.

I've got a new electric oven and the main heating element is at the top. This sucks because if I want to pre-heat or increase the heat from one level to a higher one it's equivalent to broiling, which is not always desired. If I have a dish that's cooking in the top half of the oven and I want to increase the temp I often need so switch to convection, at least while heating, to keep from burning.

Not a big deal, but something I had to learn.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Lite olive oil?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:Lite olive oil?
"Fat free butter"?

PSSSST! "Fluff" ain't good for cooking.

My "alternate" oven I use is gas, and the burner is on the top. Kind of interesting, when it's on "bake," the flame comes around a stainless shield. When it's on "broil," it kicks in a different manifold, and it shoots the gas around the outside of the shield -- never seen one like it before that. Works well, though.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
trev wrote:Lite olive oil?
"Fat free butter"?

PSSSST! "Fluff" ain't good for cooking.

Yeah I was wondering about those myself.

Fat free butter ain't butter.

"Lite" olive oil ain't olive oil, IMO.

Olive oil is primarily a monounsaturated fat, and one of the healithiest oils you can use. But the main reason for using it is because you want the flavor it imparts.

If you don't want the olive oil flavor, use canola oil or something else that's not "olive".
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I've never seen lite olive oil. Unless you mean lighter in color. But I've never really looked for it either. I'm heading to Trader Joe's in a few and I'll get back to you.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Lite Virgin Olive Oil

I want to keep the calories and fat content down. My diet is 1400 calories and 30 grams of fat.

This rocks with real butter and real olive oil.

On the side, you can make the dipping sauce from olive oil, butter and garlic. This can go for fish and toasted bread.
Last edited by Arch Angel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I despise fish, but I'm kind of fascinated with this recipe.

A CUP of seasoning??
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

You mix it with the melted butter to make paste. Then you put it on the fish and sear it on there.

Going to make some tonight with Swai instead of cod.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Arch Angel wrote:I want to keep the calories and fat content down. My diet is 1400 calories and 30 grams of fat.
Do you weigh 140 lbs? Or do you just not exercise at all? I thought a 200 lb person could consume 2,000 calories a day, and still lose weight if they exercise. In fact, I would think 1,400 calories a day for someone your size might be somewhat unhealthy? Maybe someone can correct me if I’m wrong, or even if I’m right (‘sup Dinsdale).
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I did not see lite olive oil. Are you talking about the spray in the can?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

All (more than you probably want to know) about olive oils:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/how-ol ... works2.htm
"Lite olive oil" is also called "light" or "mild" oil. These oils have undergone an extremely fine filtration process (without the use of heat or chemicals) to remove most of the natural color, aroma, and flavor. This makes them suitable for cooking or baking in recipes in which a fruity olive flavor isn't needed. The terms "lite," "light," and "mild" can be used along with "extra virgin olive oil," "virgin olive oil," and "olive oil."

In this case, "lite" or "light" do not refer to fat content. These oils contain the same amount of fat and calories as any other olive oil (about 13 grams of fat and 120 calories per tablespoon). The classifications instead refer to the oil's lighter color and flavor
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Fat free butter ain't butter.
Yeah, I think it's air.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

So then, you use melted air and a full cup of seasoning and make a paste? Coat some fish, then spray it with light olive oil?

This doesn't sound very umami to me.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

sounds more like an italian american recipe than an african american recipe.

lose all that fancy seasoning stuff cpt for some salt and pepper, dip it in egg, roll it in flour and into the deepfryer!! now that would be what i call AA style.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

Smacky,

AA = Arch Angel, not African-American.

My bad, I should have not use that acronym.

Made it again last night with Swai.

Tonight is garlic butter cod and Jamaican Jerk salmon with seasoned Parmesan potatoes.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I gotta figure out some fish to cook tonight for my Catholic family.

May try this or something similar out.

Or maybe just grill up some swordfish.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Last week I had mahi-mahi with a mango salsa. I'd go with that.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

trev wrote:I've never seen lite olive oil. Unless you mean lighter in color. But I've never really looked for it either. I'm heading to Trader Joe's in a few and I'll get back to you.
As I understand it, "lite" OO is marketed for those who find the taste of EVOO to be too strong - i.e. velveeta, wonder-bread eating Americans who are adverse to flavor in their food.

I had some Atlantic Cod this weekend that was simply delicious. It was news to me - but apparently Cod has seen a real resurgence in New England waters...and wild, line-caught Cod from the northern Atlantic is going to be a lot more commonplace. Yeehaw!
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Don't be taking cheap shots at Velveeta, cheesenob.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Velveeta doesn't hurt people...PEOPLE hurt people.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

smackaholic wrote:sounds more like an italian american recipe than an african american recipe.

lose all that fancy seasoning stuff cpt for some salt and pepper, dip it in egg, roll it in flour and into the deepfryer!! now that would be what i call AA style.
yeah, i know arch, just fukkin' wit'cha.

you didn't eat this with collard greens did ya?

yukk.

of course, my only exposure to collard green was at the mercy of a navy cook, so, i prolly should reserve judgement till i've had them cooked by an expert.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

PSUFAN wrote:
trev wrote:I've never seen lite olive oil. Unless you mean lighter in color. But I've never really looked for it either. I'm heading to Trader Joe's in a few and I'll get back to you.
As I understand it, "lite" OO is marketed for those who find the taste of EVOO to be too strong - i.e. velveeta, wonder-bread eating Americans who are adverse to flavor in their food.

I had some Atlantic Cod this weekend that was simply delicious. It was news to me - but apparently Cod has seen a real resurgence in New England waters...and wild, line-caught Cod from the northern Atlantic is going to be a lot more commonplace. Yeehaw!
about 19 years or so ago the enviro weenies were crying that the atlantic cod was on the verge of extinction from over fishing and very strict limits were put on it.

my guess is they exaggerated it a bit.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:

about 19 years or so ago the enviro weenies were crying that the atlantic cod was on the verge of extinction from over fishing and very strict limits were put on it.

My guess is that's why they recovered.

:doh:
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:about 19 years or so ago the enviro weenies were crying that the atlantic cod was on the verge of extinction from over fishing and very strict limits were put on it.

My guess is that you’re a fucking idiot. The Atlantic cod population crashed due to over-fishing and distructive fishing techniques. It’s doubtful that it will ever truly recover.
With the increased effort by distant-water fleets, catches of northern cod increased in the late 1950s and early 1960s and peaked at just over 800,000 tons by 1968.3 The distant-water fleet were subjecting the northern cod to intense, unprecedented fishing pressure, and by 1975 the declining northern cod population was insufficient to yield even 300,000 tonnes, while various species of hake, and other groundfish populations showed dramatic drops too. Canada (and the U.S.), concerned that stocks were being reduced to almost nothing, passed legislation in 1976 to extend their national jurisdictions over marine living resources out to 200 nautical miles. The "foreign" fishing fleets were banished to the "high seas".

Catches naturally declined after the departure of the foreigners to just 139,000 tonnes in 1978, which is probably the level where the federal government should have capped it then, and left it for many years, to give the stock the chance to recover. Instead, government and investors in fishing were, like the foreigners, thinking big. Soon, the stern factory-trawlers, or draggers as they became known, became the mainstay of Canada's Atlantic offshore fishing fleet, and the northern cod catch began a steady rise again as a result. By the mid-1980s, it was the Canadians who were landing more than 250,000 tonnes of northern cod annually.4

Massive investments poured into constructing these huge "draggers". Draggers haul enormous, baglike nets, as long as a football field, held open by a combination of huge steel plates or "doors" and heavy chains and rollers that plow and scrape the ocean bottom. They drag up whole schools of fish and anything else in the way, inflicting immense damage to immature target and non-target fish and the benthic (bottom-dwelling) community. They were not only destroying critical habitiat, but they also contributed to destabilizing the ecosystem of the northern cod.

The draggers targetted huge aggregations of cod while they were spawning, a time when the fish population is highly vulnerable to capture and to the physical impacts of the bottom-trawling gear on the environment. Detractors of the technology claim that the excessive trawling on spawning stocks became highly disruptive to the spawning process, negatively impacting the reproductive behaviour of the fish.5 In addition, the trawling activity is thought to result in a physical dispersion of eggs and milt leading to a higher fertilzation failure. Physical and chemical damage to larvae caused by the trawling action may also reduce their chances of survival.

The effect of selective fishing on spawning grounds - that is, selectively over-exploiting one species in an ecosystem -- can have disastrous effect on the feeding relationships in that ecosystem. This contributes to the overall reduction of spawning stock biomass of the targeted species, but also an increase in the number of invertebrate and vertebrate predators such as crustacean and fish which will prey on cod eggs, larvae, and younger fish.6 It is little wonder that a species, like cod, would eventually run into difficulties struggling to survive when its habitat is being continuously destroyed and the balance of their food chain has been disrupted.
By 1992, the biomass estimate for northern cod was the lowest ever measured. The Canadian Minister of Fisheries and Oceans had no choice but to declare a ban on fishing northern cod. For the first time in 400 years the fishing of northern cod ceased in Newfoundland. The fisheries department issued a warning in 1995 that the entire northern cod population had declined to just 1,700 tonnes by the end of 1994, down from a 1990 biomass survey showing 400,000 tonnes, and showed no sign of recovery - just 1700 tonnes remained in a fishery that had for over a century yielded a quarter-million ton catches, year after year. The fisheries department also predicted that, even in the unlikely event that the fish stock started an immediate recovery, it would take at least 15 years before it would be healthy enough to withstand significant fishing.
Today [2007], it's estimated that offshore cod stocks are at one per cent of what they were in 1977.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

so what is it? are they at 1% of '77 levels or has there been a real resurgence as PSU says?

not saying they were not over fished or that a moratorium on fishing wasn't a really good idea. just saying that it might be possible that the cod counting dudes were a bit off. maybe the cod census dudes should have done more advertising like the people census fukkers are.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

PSUFAN wrote:Velveeta doesn't hurt people...PEOPLE hurt people.
People don't hurt people... seals hurt people.

Don't forget that once a decade, the hippies of the world unite and organise a seal product boycott that's backed by their governments and it's a disaster.

The little bastard's population explodes and they wipe out the codstocks, what they don't eat, they kill by spreading disease. And it all comes to an end when the fleets out of Spain, Portugal, Cornwall and eastern seaboard US start coming home empty, like clockwork.
The EU goes back to regulating tooth brush sizes and the US goes back to - well, whatever it is they do. Look for the stocks to dwindle next year.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dr_Phibes wrote:

People don't hurt people... Seal hurts people.

Don't forget that once a decade, the hippies of the world unite and organise a Seal product boycott that's backed by their governments and it's a disaster.
I'd feel a lot better about it if he'd get his face taken care of.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:
Dr_Phibes wrote:

People don't hurt people... Seal hurts people.

Don't forget that once a decade, the hippies of the world unite and organise a Seal product boycott that's backed by their governments and it's a disaster.
I'd feel a lot better about it if he'd get his face taken care of.
I'll tell you what mate. You start pulling ass like heidi klum, then you can run grill smack.

sin,

seal
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:so what is it? are they at 1% of '77 levels or has there been a real resurgence as PSU says?

not saying they were not over fished or that a moratorium on fishing wasn't a really good idea. just saying that it might be possible that the cod counting dudes were a bit off. maybe the cod census dudes should have done more advertising like the people census fukkers are.
Why don't you google "Atlantic cod fishery collapse" and do a little reading on your own, you lazy fuck.