Harrison Barnes

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Harrison Barnes

Post by Mace »

I got a first hand look at Barnes last night in the state title game, along with Roy Williams (who was doing a lot of smiling throughout the game) and Iowa State coach Greg McDermott, who has a son playing on the team who will play for UNI next year, and I can honestly say that Barnes is by far the best player I've seen in nearly 50 years of watching Iowa high school basketball. Barnes has the most unbelievable tools of any HS player I've seen and will undoubtedly step in and make an immediate impact for North Carolina next year. The kid doesn't miss from 15-18' and can jump through the roof. Needless to say, I was impressed with his skills. The McDermott kid is also going to be a very good player for UNI. He's a 6'7" kid who can fire the 3-pointer and hit the boards. The one disappointing thing I saw last night was the McCabe kid from Sioux City who is heading to Iowa. Listed at 6'7"....he's probably 6'4" or 6'5"....and did very little to impress. Sioux City had a junior guard who looked to be far more athletic and talented than McCabe, and someone that I'd like to see headed to Iowa after next season.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Re: Harrison Barnes

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Barnes better be able to do it all since Roy's roster is/will be struggling next year again...
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Barnes better be able to do it all since Roy's roster is/will be struggling next year again...
I don't know if he can "do it all" but he's bound to make them better.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Ames wasn't even trying last night, neither was Barnes. They just coasted to that win.

This team can beat any team in the country. Best high school team the state of Iowa has ever had.

Barnes is for real, no doubt about that. He's a freak of an athlete. Doug McDermott can play too. That kid is gonna have a very nice career at UNI. I bet he starts right away.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

TheJON wrote:Ames wasn't even trying last night, neither was Barnes. They just coasted to that win.

This team can beat any team in the country. Best high school team the state of Iowa has ever had.

Barnes is for real, no doubt about that. He's a freak of an athlete. Doug McDermott can play too. That kid is gonna have a very nice career at UNI. I bet he starts right away.
McDermott is a very real offensive threat but will have to improve defense if he wants to play for Ben Jacobsen.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mace wrote:I can honestly say that Barnes is by far the best player I've seen in nearly 50 years of watching Iowa high school basketball.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Denise Long couldn't carry Barnes' jock. I know you're joking by posting her pic, but Barnes is the real deal.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Better than Neil Fegebank AND Glenn Vidnovic?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Goober McTuber wrote:Better than Neil Fegebank AND Glenn Vidnovic?
Wow, Goobs, you're digging through the archives now. Fegebank was good, but no Harrison Barnes....not even close. Vidnovic wasn't an Iowa high schooler....I think he came to the U of I from Pennsylvania. Nick Collison, Raef LaFrentz, and Kirk Hinrich also don't compare with Barnes, and they all had successful careers at Kansas and went on to the NBA.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I'm digging through what's left of my memory. The 1969-70 Iowa team was outstanding and at the time I lived in southwestern Wisconsin and saw a lot of Hawkeye basketball. I knew Calabria was not an Iowa boy, he looked too smart. John Johnson and Freddie Brown were both out of Milwaukee, but I knew Fegebank was from Iowa and I thought Vidnovic looked geeky enough to be from there as well. My bad.

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Yeah, the '70 Iowa team went 14-0 in the Big 10 and averaged almost 103 points a game for Ralph Miller. They might have been the best Iowa team ever....although the '80 final four team was pretty damn good too.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Goober McTuber wrote:I'm digging through what's left of my memory. The 1969-70 Iowa team was outstanding and at the time I lived in southwestern Wisconsin and saw a lot of Hawkeye basketball. I knew Calabria was not an Iowa boy, he looked too smart. John Johnson and Freddie Brown were both out of Milwaukee, but I knew Fegebank was from Iowa and I thought Vidnovic looked geeky enough to be from there as well. My bad.
Your cheerleaders are fat dude. I'm just sayin'.........