Enchiladas

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Enchiladas

Post by Mikey »

Mustard and mayo for me, the hotter the mustard the better. Except for turkey, then mayo only. Most sammiches are too dry w/o mayo, and too much mustard is overwheming.

Really, I've got nothing against Miracle Whip, except that I don't like it. Velveeta? It melts nicely. I've had nachos at Padre games, etc. Just not something I keep in the house. For a grilled ham and cheese I prefer gruyere, which also melts pretty well. If I'm making nachos I'll grate some sharp cheddar and some jack cheese over a pile of tortilla chips and toss it in the microwave. Then add whatever other toppings you want. Tastier and easier than melting a bunch of Velveeta.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, a ham, cheese and mustard sammy would probably be a little dry. I never eat them that way though. I have to have lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and peppers on my sandwich which more than make up for the dryness.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

mvscal wrote:Croque Monsieur

Sin,
Wags
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Eh, Velveeta is alright for what it is. I'd hope nobody is trying to compare it to a real, quality cheese. I actually like the texture of it. It's not a staple in my fridge but I do like in on a grilled cheese and the occasional chili cheese dip.

I don't mind Miracle Whip on a BLT but I prefer mayo.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Indy, you are too easily provoked.
Have you never stuck anyting in your gullet you knew would not be the best thing you have ever eaten in the mindframe you're just hungry with no better option? If you say no, you lie.
Of course I have. But in my entire life, Velveeta has never been my only option. It's never been my best option. I guess the ghetto parties of my past were nothing compared to yours.

A good cheese board at a party is fantastic. I'm not surprised you don't like them -- they don't usually have Velveeta, Kraft Singles, or "queso" from 7-11 on them.

Wags: No, Miracle Whip is not a household staple. I don't think it's the worst thing ever made, but it's certainly not good enough to eat on purpose. It's too sweet. I prefer mayo, though my husband hates it, so we only have it when I buy it for whatever reason. It usually gets thrown away before it all gets used.

Why do some of you get so upset about people not liking processed versions of real foods? I hate to tell you this, but I hate Spam, too. When did this become the Cooking With Synthetics Forum?
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

mvscal wrote:It's the Cooking Forum not the Food Snob forum.
I don't like Velveeta, Miracle Whip, or Spam. I like almost everything, but not those three things. For real.

If that makes me a snob, I can deal with it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Eh, Velveeta is alright for what it is. I'd hope nobody is trying to compare it to a real, quality cheese.
Only one person is.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

ppanther wrote: I guess the ghetto parties of my past were nothing compared to yours.
:lol:

Yeah, the "ghetto" I live in really is the suck.

I'm going to a New Year's party tonight in my ghetto. I'm going to guess someone makes a crock pot of queso. I'll take a pic of it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if I'm right, I'll find out who brought it and ask which ghetto they came from. :lol:

I'm not bringing a queso. Rather, I stuffed a turkey with a couple oranges, rubbed with some good poultry seasoning I got from Williams Sonoma for Christmas, smoked on cherry and a bit of hickory for 4 hours and then shredded and cooked in a crock with BBQ sauce for another hour. Serving with some measley silver dollar rolls for a rather tasty smoked and pulled BBQ turkey sammich.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Smackoff in the cooking forum? Sweet.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

IndyFrisco wrote::lol:

Yeah, the "ghetto" I live in really is the suck.
When did I say anyone here lived in the ghetto, Indy? I'll be kind, because I really do not intend to get you all wound up. In cases such as these, when someone describes something as "ghetto", they are usually describing something that is a little lower on the class scale than their usual life experience. When I say my friends had a "ghetto" party, I mean they served Natty Light. I don't mean they threw the party in Compton.

Why are you so sensitive, anyway? You go to great lengths to make sure everyone knows you live in a beautiful 6,000 sq ft home (or whatever it is). I don't think you have to be concerned about anyone thinking you're poor. Heaven forbid.

The turkey you're bringing sounds delicious. So I assume you won't be eating the "queso" (which just means cheese, by the way...), since it's not the best available option that will be made available to your starving, ghetto self?

Happy New Year! :)
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, had a few minutes to make my lunch. All I had at home was wheat bread and Hawaiian Bread Rolls. Had my own pulled turkey sammy in the office.

Roll and a bowl of turkey with Q.

Turkey heated and pulled.

Construction complete.

Voila!

And yes, it was damn good.

Now, heading out for the day. Gotta get back to my "hood" to meet the contractor who will be finishing out the basement. Happy New Year to all.

Oh, and replying back to someone with a comment contradictory to theirs does not make one sensitive. It is conversation. Otherwise, pp, you'd be guilty of being "too sensitive" as well.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

ppanther wrote:The turkey you're bringing sounds delicious. So I assume you won't be eating the "queso" (which just means cheese, by the way...), since it's not the best available option that will be made available to your starving, ghetto self?
I'm a man of the people. Of course I'll have some. :lol:
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

IndyFrisco wrote:
ppanther wrote:The turkey you're bringing sounds delicious. So I assume you won't be eating the "queso" (which just means cheese, by the way...), since it's not the best available option that will be made available to your starving, ghetto self?
I'm a man of the people. Of course I'll have some. :lol:
I possibly would, too. Your pictures make me very jealous.

See ya later!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

ppanther wrote: Wags: No, Miracle Whip is not a household staple.
It is in my house.

I wish I could find that commercial that has the Blue Tick hound making a sandwich only to find they're out of Miracle Whip. He throws it in the cats dish. Freaking hilarious.

Oh well, this will have to do.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Coupla things --

-Some of y'all's definition of a "ghetto party" is radically different from mine -- most parties I've been to in the ghetto, most attendees were too busy smoking rock to even think about eating.

-"Queso"... a while back, had some nachos off the happy hour menu... I was quite delighted to see they were homemade chips... until I realized they were slathered with pumpcheese --- full-on 7-11 fare...

WTF? Make the chips in-house, and pumpcheese? I'm still in shock.

-Miracle Whip is an apt name -- I find it miraculous that anyone manages to keep that shit down. I don't just not want it on my sammy -- I don't want it in my house. Crime against nature.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And to adress Mikey's Theory of Kraft...

Hard to go wrong with mayo...

unless it's made by Kraft.

How do these tools fuck up mayo? The $0.79 store-brand is way better than that crap.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Miracle Whip is an apt name -- I find it miraculous that anyone manages to keep that shit down. I don't just not want it on my sammy -- I don't want it in my house. Crime against nature.
It isn't that there are mayonnaise people and Miracle Whip people - it's that there are hysterical, anti-Miracle Whip bigots and everybody else. I've never heard anyone who likes Miracle Whip express vehement hatred for mayonnaise nor cast aspersions on the taste of people who eat it. Miracle Whip is clearly in your domes.

It's more a question of maturity, diversity and sophistication. Miracle Whip is good for a turkey sandwich, BLT etc, but not potato salad - why should people have to be limited in their condiment choices?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dr_Phibes wrote:why should people have to be limited in their condiment choices?

Because I have unilaterally decided what is best for everybody.

Surely you're down with that concept, comrade?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

I'm sure Marx didn't have a problem with delicious salad dressing. :meds:
It's got a bit more zip to it, so you can't just fart it all over a slice bread with a howitzer, like mayonnaise.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dr_Phibes wrote: hysterical, anti-Miracle Whip bigots.

Funny...whenever somebody accurately describes Miracle Whip as inedible the entire flyover Miracle Whip crowd gets all defensive and accuses the rest of the nation of being food snobs. Ironical to say the least.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Inedible?

That statement would be inaccurate.

I'm not being defensive and couldn't care less whether you like it or not, but when you describe something as being inedible that many others obviously enjoy (while tossing in the obligatory "flyover" gloss) nobody needs to accuse you of being a food snob. You've stamped yourself unequivocally as one.

Now if you'll excuse me, the temperature just went above zero (it was -6 earlier) and I must needs get to Walmart and purchase some Velveeta. :hfal:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

:lol: :lol:

I was in Costco this morning and noticed that their bricks of Velveeta aren't located in the refrigerator section. They just wrap 'em up and throw them on the shelf. Didn't bother to check for an expiration date, though. Tell me Wags, do you need to refrigerate that stuff after you open it? Or do you just re-wrap that foil wrapper around the open part and put it back on the shelf?

I'm seriously thinking of going back and picking up a brick or two to store in the back of the pantry in case poptart's prediction of total economic meltdown actually happens. Even if I could no longer afford any of that stinky French or Italian stuff, I'd at least have cheese food product enough to last me a few months. I wonder what other long shelf life stuff would go with the Velveeta to ensure a complete post-apocalypes diet. Anybody every tried Velveeta on Hostess Twinkies?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mikey wrote:Tell me Wags, do you need to refrigerate that stuff after you open it? Or do you just re-wrap that foil wrapper around the open part and put it back on the shelf?
I suppose it would need to be refrigerated, it is made with milk. But we always cook the whole brick in our cheese dip concoction, so I wouldn't know for sure. To be safe, I would.

It does say on the package (I read it today after the Walmart excursion and score) to refrigerate after opening and use with-in 8 weeks. Like Dins said, very bacteria resistant.

After 8 weeks, it'd probably also make a very good weather sealant around drafty windows.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

A little late to this party, but just wanted to say that I am a Midwesterner, and Miracle Whip might be useful if you’re out of AstroGlide.

Velveeta, in your other hand, works well for grilled cheese and even on a cheeseburger. No real cheese melts like Velveeta. I liked it so much as a kid that I would slice it cold and put it on crackers.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:No real cheese melts like Velveeta.
Actually, there are at least two: Fontina and Butterkäse.
OK, so I decided to see if you were right. I bought a nice little chunk of Fontina. Nice tasty cheese. So I made a little grilled cheese sandwich with it. Melts pretty nice, but just a slight bit of stringiness. Nothing like cheddar but still...not as smooth and creamy as Velveeta. Fail.

I'll let you know what I find with the Butterkäse.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Velveeta, in your other hand, works well for grilled cheese and even on a cheeseburger.
I would say you all have never had a slab of Tillamook cheddar in several different tones, melted over a lean elk burger??

Just saying..
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Derron wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Velveeta, in your other hand, works well for grilled cheese and even on a cheeseburger.
I would say you all have never had a slab of Tillamook cheddar in several different tones, melted over a lean elk burger??

Just saying..
I hope you remembered to grind some fat in with that lean elk burger.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Havarti melts pretty well.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Yes, but not like Velveeta. I love Havarti, but it melts not quite as well as the Fontina.

Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Derron wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Just saying..
I hope you remembered to grind some fat in with that lean elk burger.
I get prepared elk patties direct from the ranch and they seem to have a pretty good addition. Same with the buffalo. It is a pay attention type thing, I found dropping some foil or metal pan over the burgers on the grille helps retain moisture. Way lower fat content than even the lean beef.

Tried cooking them on a Trager once, and damn near died of starvation, that was a slow process. Tragers work better on meat items that require a long cooking. Pork roast is killer on them.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?