dry vs fresh herbs

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

dry vs fresh herbs

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

In what instances or specific dishes do you find dry herbs to be better than fresh herbs, or vice versa? I've found that many recipes that call for fresh herbs taste just as good, sometimes better, when made with dry herbs. Most of my food is made with dry herbs mostly due to the convenience factor and the fact I don't have access to a large, good selection of fresh herbs. There is a farmer's market somewhat near me that I haven't been to (new to the area), but will definitely hit up once summer rolls around for some good fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs. My other issue is preserving fresh herbs...I hate to buy a whole container if I only plan on using one sprig of rosemary, for example. What's a good way to preserve fresh herbs? I've heard freezing them, but what does that do to the flavor?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: dry vs fresh herbs

Post by Goober McTuber »

I prefer dried basil to fresh for pesto. I agree about buying containers of fresh herbs, but rosemary is one that is just so much better fresh. Other than that, I mostly buy dried. I do grow basil and oregano in a good sized flower pot by the window spring thru fall.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Fresh are always better. I hear you can keep dried herbs/spices forever. I know people that have jars in the pantry for 10 or more years. :shock:
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

I'll cook with dried mint, but nothing compares to fresh sprigs from the garden. I agree with you on the oregano, it seems to be more flavourful in dried form and I'm still picking it almost until it snows up here, so I'm good throughout the winter.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

trev wrote:Fresh are always better. I hear you can keep dried herbs/spices forever. I know people that have jars in the pantry for 10 or more years. :shock:
Not quite. I've read that shelf-life for dried herbs is about a year at the most.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I have heard 6 months to a year. I have also heard they don't go bad. They just aren't as potent.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Not bad as in spoiled, but bad as in worthless. No smell or taste.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Never heard of anybody making pesto with dried basil.

Gonna have to think about this for awhile.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:Never heard of anybody making pesto with dried basil.

Don't hurt yourself.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I’ve made pesto both ways, with fresh basil and with dried basil. I prefer it with the dried. Try it both ways and then get back to me. You drunken pedophile.

I’ve not bothered to make it ever since I found a local producer that makes various pestos. My favorite includes Thai chiles.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:I’ve made pesto both ways, with fresh basil and with dried basil. I prefer it with the dried. Try it both ways and then get back to me. You drunken pedophile.

I’ve not bothered to make it ever since I found a local producer that makes various pestos. My favorite includes Thai chiles.

Do you do anything to the dried basil to reconstitute it? What are the proportions compared to using fresh?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I’ve made pesto both ways, with fresh basil and with dried basil. I prefer it with the dried. Try it both ways and then get back to me. You drunken pedophile.

Do you do anything to the dried basil to reconstitute it? What are the proportions compared to using fresh?
Well, there's olive oil in there to lube things up. I don't measure shit. I've got a mini-processor, toss in some basil, roasted pinenuts, garlic, grated parmesan, and add oil till it's got the right consistency.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'm done thinking about it. It's absurd. If I were eyetalianisch, I'd grab Goobs through the interTube and slap him around a bit
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:

I'm done thinking about it. It's absurd. If I were eyetalianisch, I'd grab Goobs through the interTube and slap him around a bit
Just so you know, my wife is Italian and she loves my pesto. Along with other assorted body parts.

OK, so maybe that batch of homemade pesto (made with fresh basil) I was given years ago was made with some shitty fresh basil. I will give it a shot with my own basil this spring.