Why do they still let the old timers play Augusta?

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Why do they still let the old timers play Augusta?

Post by MuchoBulls »

Billy Casper's score on the Par 3 16th Hole - 14!!!!!

They basically forced Arnie out, so it's time to drop the hammer on Casper and the other old timers who haven't done squat in 25 years.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Hey, Casper's only 21 over after 9 holes--

with a good back nine he could be right back in it.......

Actually, Casper and Coody are the ceremonial first off the tee guys.....
get out, get out while there's still time
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Heard on the radio it was the highest posted scored in a major championship. Not sure if they meant just The Masters, but that is what was said on the radio.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

it was a good tradition but the way they have to trick out the course and pin positions, and generally lengthen the older courses to account for the new equipment and better more well conditioned players, it's not feasible for the old guys to play well.

what's their big poke off the tee? 210? that's a pretty decent swat when your 70...
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

How far behind Casper will Duval finish?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

I for one am shocked..........

Question: "Billy, anything to say after you're 106.....?"
Answer: "Good thing I dropped that 25 footer on number 2, otherwise it could have been a horrific score."

and to think, he could of had the record, but opted to WD and not post it.

fargin icehole
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I have no problem with allowing former champs to play as long as they want. What bugs me is that they don't play for anything. They should have a 2 round mini tournament within the main tournament for the over 60 set so that they could at least have something to get the competitive juices flowing. Let them tee off grouped together on Thursaday and reseed them on Friday. That way both the crowd and the players could get that feeling of walking up #18 with something on the line. And they could even do sudden death rounds on the par 3 course if need be. Tell me it wouldn't kick ass.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The could make the exemption for past champions a 25 year exemption or something along those lines.

I like Bsmack's idea of a little mini tournament for the older players.

The bottom line is that f they basically forced Arnie out for this type of play, then they shouldn't have had Casper back.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:The could make the exemption for past champions a 25 year exemption or something along those lines.

I like Bsmack's idea of a little mini tournament for the older players.

The bottom line is that f they basically forced Arnie out for this type of play, then they shouldn't have had Casper back.
They didn't force Arnie out. They forced Gay Brewer, Billy Casper and Doug Ford out. Hootie actualy sent Brewer, Casper and Ford a letter "requesting" that they seriously reconsider thier participation in the Tournement since it was felt by the membership that they had failed to compete "in spirit". In other words, the mebership didn't like that these guys would take advantage of a Masters invite, play 9 or 18 holes and then jet. Guys like Palmer, Nicklaus and Player at least have had the decency to post scores in both rounds regardless of how bad they are playing.

The result of those letters was the institution of the age requirement that was later convienently rescinded after Ford and Brewer stopped playing. Of course the outcry over the fates of Palmer, Nicklaus and Player had something to do with that as well.

Another idea would be to have a first round cut of 15 strokes over par or 20 strokes behind the leader. That would also clear out the deadwood. But I would rather see the mini tournament idea and allow what few players who make the cut in the regular tournament to then continue on.

Like Jack seems to do every 5 years or so.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I thought Arnie got the same letter?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:I thought Arnie got the same letter?
No. Though he did initialy announce that his 2002 Masters would be his last Masters "because I don't want to get The Letter". Of course Hootie reconsidered and Arnie played in his 50th Masters last year.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

You know.. take that 14 out of the equation and give him a double bogey on that Par 3 and all of a sudden it doesn't seem like such a bad round for someone that is 70 years old.

Hell, I'm guessing that there's a good number of average hackers in their 30's or 40's that would have a difficult time breaking 90 on Augusta.

You win the Green Jacket for life.. It's part of the tradition, let the lifetime members play.