The Rooney Rule

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

The Rooney Rule

Post by Van »

What kind of a transparent joke is this? Why in the world would any black coach subject himself to going through such a silly charade?

I'm reading about the Pete Carroll to Seattle thing, and they're saying that there is an agreement in principle to the deal. It's a definite done deal. Seattle simply has to go through the mandatory procedure of doing a token interview with a minority before they can officially sign Carroll.

Jesus, if it's that written in stone that they're hiring Carroll then how is that not in violation of at least the spirit of the Rooney Rule? It seems to be making a complete mockery of it. Also, why is Leslie Frazier even going to bother with making sure Seattle meets this stupid requirement? Interviewing for a job he and everyone else already knows has been filled, knowing they're only interviewing him to meet a rule requiring them to conduct a token interview? Why?

The whole thing just seems preposterous for the teams doing the hiring, even as it's thoroughly insulting for the token candidates who are simply being used. If it's this easy to skirt the rule then it's just a ridiculous rule. Either make it legit or shitcan it.

As for Pete leaving USC, my thoughts are as follows...

-USC will obviously suffer. Their recruiting is going to take a huge hit in the short term, no matter who they end up hiring as his replacement. Pete did two things really well at USC: recruit and motivate.

Good luck in finding his equal in those areas, USC. Short of backing up the Brinks truck to Urban Meyer's door and somehow convincing him to leave Florida, I guess it's time for Jeff Fisher to come home. The immediate future doesn't look good for USC. Whether or not any penalties are handed down to the football program by the NCAA, USC is going to struggle for a little while now.

If ever UCLA is going to do something again in L.A., now is the time.

-I always figured that the one thing which would drive Pete from that job would be his getting fed up with all the nonsense associated with being USC's coach. Too many things are out of his control; things for which he is held accountable. Pete was clearly becoming disillusioned with the process, including seeing his players leaving early for the NFL. Combine that factor with the guilt by association having to do with the Tim Floyd-OJ Mayo issue, along with the never ending crap about Reggie Bush, and it seems he'd finally become fed up with the whole thing. Then, this year, there were so many player suspensions due to their failure to meet academic standards, and finally there was the borrowed car issue with Joe McKnight.

"I'm sick of this. $35 million over five years, with total control of the organization, and none of this constant petty crap to have to deal with? Seattle's a cool town, and it's still the West Coast. Yeah, I think I've about had it. Let's do it."
Man, though, could he have possibly gone to a more boring team and franchise? I'm hard pressed to think of a less compelling NFL team than the Seattle Seahawks. Even in their Super Bowl season, they were the epitome of WGARA. They have tons of cash and a great stadium in a pretty locale. That's it. Even their fucking unis are the most boring in the league. The whole franchise is just blah.

$35 million though, so what the hell.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
L45B
Commanche Hero

Re: The Rooney Rule

Post by L45B »

Van wrote:The whole thing just seems preposterous for the teams doing the hiring, even as it's thoroughly insulting for the token candidates who are simply being used.
I agree. Although I think Seattle could get really cute with this and bring in Art Shell for an interview. I'm sure Art would enjoy the gesture, just as long as it doesn't interfere with his schedule at the Waffle House.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

B-t-H, okay, granted, that at least makes some tangential sense.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Uhh, yeah, it's called "networking."
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Somehow though, I doubt this is what the rule was set up to accomplish: token interviews in the name of 'networking'.

Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Van wrote:Somehow though, I doubt this is what the rule was set up to accomplish: token interviews in the name of 'networking'.

And when has politically correct bullshit ever not had unintended consequences?
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I love the left side of your sig.

The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Van wrote:

As for Pete leaving USC, my thoughts are as follows...

-I always figured that the one thing which would drive Pete from that job would be his getting fed up with all the nonsense associated with being USC's coach. Too many things are out of his control; things for which he is held accountable. Pete was clearly becoming disillusioned with the process, including seeing his players leaving early for the NFL. Combine that factor with the guilt by association having to do with the Tim Floyd-OJ Mayo issue, along with the never ending crap about Reggie Bush, and it seems he'd finally become fed up with the whole thing. Then, this year, there were so many player suspensions due to their failure to meet academic standards, and finally there was the borrowed car issue with Joe McKnight.

"I'm sick of this. $35 million over five years, with total control of the organization, and none of this constant petty crap to have to deal with? Seattle's a cool town, and it's still the West Coast. Yeah, I think I've about had it. Let's do it."
$35 million though, so what the hell.
Poor Saint Pete. All that went wrong around him just made his job too stressful. He needs a change of scenery and some mood music....

I think I'd rather swallow a live grenade with Rosanne Barr's menstral blood on it than read this unbelievable horseshit another time....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Not too stressful; too much of an annoying pain in the ass. There's a big difference.

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Van wrote: Pete was clearly becoming disillusioned with the process, including seeing his players leaving early for the NFL. Combine that factor with the guilt by association having to do with the Tim Floyd-OJ Mayo issue, along with the never ending crap about Reggie Bush, and it seems he'd finally become fed up with the whole thing. Then, this year, there were so many player suspensions due to their failure to meet academic standards, and finally there was the borrowed car issue with Joe McKnight.
he should have recruited two-stars then if players leaving early for the nfl helped lead to his "disillusionment." love the "guilt by association" quip. :meds:

if i were black i'd fly across the country for a free steak dinner in exchange for a tour of the facilities.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i have to agree with many others above that i find it hard to believe that Pete was a purist of sport and he's become disillusioned with the current blaspheme of the scholar-athlete...so as a counter and personal philosophy anedote, he'll take a job with the corporate NFL circus-machine. yeah, OK!

you go Pete.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

It's not about being a purist, it's just not wanting to be associated with the slime that's around him. Now that it's public knowledge, that is.

ImageImage
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Diogenes wrote:It's not about being a purist, it's just not wanting to be associated with the slime that's around him. Now that it's public knowledge, that is.
my post is not about being a purist. jeez, sometimes you NFL peeps need weening a teet that isn't your own balls....and sarcasm as a truth.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

King Crimson wrote:
Diogenes wrote:It's not about being a purist, it's just not wanting to be associated with the slime that's around him. Now that it's public knowledge, that is.
my post is not about being a purist.
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

My (apparently too subtle for some) point was that he really didn't give a shit about all the crap going on around him till he got his face rubbed in it by the press.

ImageImage
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Van wrote:Somehow though, I doubt this is what the rule was set up to accomplish: token interviews in the name of 'networking'.
You didn't ask why the rule was invented, you asked why a black coach would "subject" himself to it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not such a bad deal for Frazier, beyond playing a "token" (which is somewhat insulting, I imagine).

Dude gets flown across country, most likely put up in the finest hotel and dined at the finest eateries, and probably got to bring his wife (if he's so equipped).

Wouldn't you guys take the OL out for a weekend in Seattle's finest establishments if someone esle was picking up the tab, especially if you were unemployed?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Pete was clearly becoming disillusioned with the process, including seeing his players leaving early for the NFL. Combine that factor with the guilt by association having to do with the Tim Floyd-OJ Mayo issue
This makes no sense.

The first part about the players leaving early.............well, what's the difference between that and players leaving for other teams in free agency? It's bound to happen and player turnover in the NFL is just as high.

And what do you mean by guilty by association? The Reggie Bush scandal came out long before the OJ Mayo scandal. If anything, Floyd is the guy who should be irritated because he got caught doing the same crap Petey has been doing and the only reason he got busted is because nobody gives a crap about USC hoops. The NCAA very much has an interest in USC football.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Van wrote:Too many things are out of his control; things for which he is held accountable.
Yeah, asshole. It's called "lack of institutional control." Your program's been dirty, and lucky, for years. Man up, already, Jesus.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

the_ouskull wrote:
Van wrote:Too many things are out of his control; things for which he is held accountable.
Yeah, asshole. It's called "lack of institutional control." Your program's been dirty, and lucky, for years. Man up, already, Jesus.

the_ouskull
How have they been lucky? They've been caught. The NCAA just won't do anything about it. That's not luck. That's called "paying them off".
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Van wrote:

-I always figured that the one thing which would drive Pete from that job would be his getting fed up with all the nonsense associated with being USC's coach.
As soon as we put up 47 on SC this year, I gave it about a 50/50 chance that Pete was going to leave.

Not saying the additional bullshit (true or not) didn't play a big role, but I think seeing his team be clearly humiliated in the conference was enough to make sure he got out while he was still considered relatively on the top of his game. Its the smart thing to do. We've seen a ton of coaches(and players for that matter), stick around instead of going for the money when their star is shining the brightest. It rarely works out well.

Jeff Tedford comes to mind. Even Mike Bellotti to some extent, who was one of the hottest coaching names after the Fiesta Bowl in 2001, and didn't get much of a sniff of a better job as USC took the conference over the next year.

Living in LA, the people and media in particular will turn on you in a heartbeat. Sure, one "down" year can be overlooked, but if he somehow strung 2 down years together, Pete might not even be able to get a gig like this. And SC isn't even expected to be the favorite next year.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Dinsdale wrote:Not such a bad deal for Frazier, beyond playing a "token" (which is somewhat insulting, I imagine).

Dude gets flown across country, most likely put up in the finest hotel and dined at the finest eateries, and probably got to bring his wife (if he's so equipped).

Wouldn't you guys take the OL out for a weekend in Seattle's finest establishments if someone esle was picking up the tab, especially if you were unemployed?

Fuck Seattle, the only person I know who hates rain more than I do is my wife, her sister and brother in law moved to some place up in Puget Sound about 9 years ago and we have been up there to visit them exactly zero times because my wife refuses to go somewhere that may have rain in the forecast (other than Hawaii)
Now if someone was going to fly my wife and me to say, Vegas to eat at the finest eateries and stay in the nicest rooms in the nicest hotels, I may talk her in to that.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

JayDuck wrote:
Van wrote:

-I always figured that the one thing which would drive Pete from that job would be his getting fed up with all the nonsense associated with being USC's coach.
As soon as we put up 47 on SC this year, I gave it about a 50/50 chance that Pete was going to leave.

Not saying the additional bullshit (true or not) didn't play a big role, but I think seeing his team be clearly humiliated in the conference was enough to make sure he got out while he was still considered relatively on the top of his game. Its the smart thing to do. We've seen a ton of coaches(and players for that matter), stick around instead of going for the money when their star is shining the brightest. It rarely works out well.

Jeff Tedford comes to mind. Even Mike Bellotti to some extent, who was one of the hottest coaching names after the Fiesta Bowl in 2001, and didn't get much of a sniff of a better job as USC took the conference over the next year.

Living in LA, the people and media in particular will turn on you in a heartbeat. Sure, one "down" year can be overlooked, but if he somehow strung 2 down years together, Pete might not even be able to get a gig like this. And SC isn't even expected to be the favorite next year.
"We" what position did "you" play in that game? The only thing more pathetic than people paying so much attention to celebrities lives that they read garbage like Us and People are the fools that refer to teams that they do not play on or coach as "we". Unless youre on the staff or roster, it isnt "we"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
JayDuck wrote:
Van wrote:

"We" what position did "you" play in that game? The only thing more pathetic than people paying so much attention to celebrities lives that they read garbage like Us and People are the fools that refer to teams that they do not play on or coach as "we". Unless youre on the staff or roster, it isnt "we"
Some of us actually attended college as opposed to being overbearing parent who lives life through his kids by teaching the teams he coaches' to be pieces of shit because daddy never amounted to a damn thing and barely got through high school. My season tickets have been in my family for nearly sixty years now, I have a degree from Oklahoma, I donate what amounts to thousands of dollars a year to multiple athletic programs and academic endeavors and most importantly I help pay for those kids scholarships who are participating in the sport and their coaches salaries; I'll say we whenever I fucking feel like it anyone else like me has every fucking right to do so as well. We are the reason these programs even exist in college, bitch.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yes, I'm sure they'd continue playing CFB games if "we" never attended and "we" didn't watch on television.

Then again, for someone who apparently thinks raindrops hurt or something, and chooses to live in a place that actually has to buy rainwater to survive...

'nuff said.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one