gameday!!!!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

TheJON
Iowa State Grad

gameday!!!!

Post by TheJON »

Fuckin' Go Hawks! We takin over Miami! Fuck this bullshit weather though. Wasn't expecting having to wear a fucking coat to the game. Hey Mace, Guck Feorgia Tech!
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Re: gameday!!!!

Post by TheJON »

Oh yeah, Hawks 27 Jackets 17. This is only the beginning. Next year BCS Title game? Could be.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Well you started off the year 0-2, so you got that going for you.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

I believe the triple option will give IOWA more than they ever dreamed of. GT 35 IOWA 24
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

TheChief wrote:I believe the triple option will give IOWA more than they ever dreamed of. GT 35 IOWA 24

If Nesbitt can remain healthy for the entire game I think they win... big "if" lately though.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I can't see either team winning in a blowout. Ga Tech will move the ball some (that's what they do) but I don't see them getting into the endzone too often. Iowa on the other hand is too inconsistent in the passing game and too young in the running game to stockpile points. Their version of a blowout would be something more like 20-6. Which I'm sure they'd be just fine with. At the end of the day though they're the better all around team and should win the game.

Sin,

Dude who's battling for the cellar in pick'em
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Giving a team more than a week to prepare for Tech's offense has been bad for GT.

Iowa 17
GT 14
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I agree Nesbitt's arm is the x factor. He's completed a lot of deep balls this year since guys are open downfield from everyone loading up to stop the option. Iowa's pass d is excellent though.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

TheChief wrote:I believe the triple option will give IOWA more than they ever dreamed of.
Only if they are as woefully unprepared for it as Mizzou was Navy's.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Go SchmoeHawks - although GTech is my favorite ACC team. Love that triple option.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSU, what's the story behind "SchmoeHawks?"
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

3 straight punts? Nesbitt is getting eaten alive. Stanzi playing well too. This could get ugly.

edit: and there's Stanzi being Stanzi! only seconds later...
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dayum - Iowa skullfucking GT, this could get ugly.

Jon is going to be insufferable.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Definitely a nice turn-around for the Big 10 this bowl season. Iowa needs to finish this, and with G.T. as their opponent, they should. G.T. is simply not built to play in a bowl game. I'm still wondering how Navy's gimmicky offense rolled Mizzou they way they did. These one-dimensional offenses should get snuffed when the opposing DC has weeks to prepare for them.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Besides the Stanzi Moment, this has been total domination. G.T.'s two lines don't even belong on the same field with Iowa's, and G.T.'s silly offense has been thoroughly exposed. They look helpless when Nesbitt has to throw, and Iowa's finding it all too easy to snuff out their running options.

G.T is going to need a lot of flukey shit to stay in this game.

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Van wrote:I'm still wondering how Navy's gimmicky offense rolled Mizzou they way they did. These one-dimensional offenses should get snuffed when the opposing DC has weeks to prepare for them.
Navy had at least some semblance of a passing game. GT, not so much.

Navy's O-line was blowing Mizzou off the ball. GT, not so much.

Mainly though, Iowa is way better than Mizzou... or Navy. GT, not so much.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Van wrote:Besides the Stanzi Moment, this has been total domination. G.T.'s two lines don't even belong on the same field with Iowa's, and G.T.'s silly offense has been thoroughly exposed. They look helpless when Nesbitt has to throw, and Iowa's finding it all too easy to snuff out their running options.

G.T is going to need a lot of flukey shit to stay in this game.
I wouldn't call the offense silly. The players still aren't really in place to fully use Paul Johnson's entire playbook just yet. He's only been there for two years and are ahead of schedule to where the school and Coach Johnson thought they would be this season. When he really has a two deep that meets the offenses needs Georgia Tech will be a very dangerous team.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mace wrote: No, not silly...just ineffective against a well prepared defense.

Florida thought the same thing about Nebraska in 1996 at the Fiesta Bowl... just sayin'.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mace wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:
Mace wrote: No, not silly...just ineffective against a well prepared defense.

Florida thought the same thing about Nebraska in 1996 at the Fiesta Bowl... just sayin'.
True, but Nebraska was better than GT. We'll see what halftime adjustments GT might make in their game plan but doing what they're doing will get them beat....unless Iowa gives them points on turnovers, which could happen.
I thought you meant in general... like I said though Paul Johnson still doesn't have his players there to run the offense yet. The fact that have done this well is rather shocking this season.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

WTF was that?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

No matter what happens, G.T.'s offense is just an abortion tonight.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The WR should have caught that.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Congrats to Iowa for breaking a fifty year drought.

Yes, Cal, you suck.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

TheJON wrote:Hawks 27 Jackets 17
Nice call, and props to Iowa. I enjoy watching them play.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Van wrote:PSU, what's the story behind "SchmoeHawks?"
Curb reference?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSUFAN wrote:
Curb reference?
'Curb', as in the Larry David show? Okay, so, what, does he refer to Hawkeyes as SchmoeHawks? Larry David references the Iowa Hawkeyes on his show? :lol:

Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

Mr T wrote:Giving a team more than a week to prepare for Tech's offense has been bad for GT.

Iowa 17
GT 14
Why did the hawkeyes have to score one more and fuck up my prediction?

TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

PSUFAN wrote:
Curb reference?
You can just refer to us as "our bitch". I'm kidding. Great game, big win for Iowa amd our conference. Big-10 foosball is back bitches! I heard that they said it was 45 degrees at the game and I'm calling BS on that one. No way was it above 40 at any point in time during the game. It was fucking cold as shit. So much for coming to Miami for warm weather. Anyways, damn that win sure felt good! "USA Number 1!!". What the fuck was that shit Ricky!???
TheChief
Elwood

Post by TheChief »

Congratulations IOWA fan! I knew my prediction was fucked during the first quarter when the GT offense looked like shit and one of the announcers said that Norm Parker had previously "shut down" Paul's spread option attack in some bowl years ago. Seems that it is a small world and Norm Parker has Paul Johnson's number!. T, I only wish FSU could prepare for a game like that!!!!

FSU had a full year to prepare for that offense and still couldn't stop them.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

i was going to predict a gt blowout. hmm, wrong. nice win.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Props to Iowa and bigger props to Ricky Stanzi for making Chris Myers look like the douche squirt he really is in the post game interview.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

btw, how is Tech's D so bad against the run? After what they face in practice every day you'd think they could scheme a basic off tackle.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Mace wrote:GT has no passing game...none...
I heard a stat toward the end of the regular season that Ga Tech led the nation in number of passes over x amount of yards. That'd probably sound more impressive if I could remember what the x was.
Killian

Post by Killian »

I think Johnson is a great coach, but the problem with his offense is he relies too much on the option. If he ran a more balanced attack, similar to how Holtz utilized the option at ND, or Osborne at Nebraska, I think GT could make a push for the next level. I think one thing Johnson is going to have a hard time finding is a kid that wants to run that offense as the QB. It's a hard sell during recruiting to basically say "Hey, come here and throw the ball 10 times a game while you get your ass kicked running the option".

If he incorporated more I Formation runs and play action passes, he could have a kick ass offense that couldn't be defended just because the other team had time to prepare for it.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Like I said earlier, G.T.'s offense is an abortion. It's not designed to win bowl games. Iowa's D was too good to give them that much time to scheme for that Mickey Mouse nonsense. Sure, it'll work against Clemson or N.C. State when there's only one week to prepare for it, but give a reasonably talented team who's well-coached a few weeks to prepare themselves on how to do nothing more than stop a running game, and they will. If a DC doesn't have to respect the pass, the rest is just nailing down assignments. With three weeks to prepare and drill those assignments, it's a cakewalk.

G.T. will never get to the next level, not with that offense. They'll never get the athletes they need. Like everyone else is saying, until they can incorporate a real threat of a passing game, they're just a gimmick offense designed to fool teams in the short-term.

There's a reason that crap isn't run in the NFL, and has never been run in the NFL. A full-time option offense is just too easy to stop.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

If he incorporated more I Formation runs and play action passes, he could have a kick ass offense that couldn't be defended just because the other team had time to prepare for it.
Yep. At one point Nesbitt faked a pitch, rolled to his right, and threw toward the sideline for a 1st down. It was a nice call and good execution. I don't think they broke it out again. It's a little baffling.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Killian wrote:I think Johnson is a great coach, but the problem with his offense is he relies too much on the option. If he ran a more balanced attack, similar to how Holtz utilized the option at ND, or Osborne at Nebraska, I think GT could make a push for the next level. I think one thing Johnson is going to have a hard time finding is a kid that wants to run that offense as the QB. It's a hard sell during recruiting to basically say "Hey, come here and throw the ball 10 times a game while you get your ass kicked running the option".

Not to nit pick but Nesbitt averages more passes per game and more passing attempts a season than Frazier, Berringer, Frost, Gill, Turner, or Taylor under Osborne at Nebraska. In Fact the only two quaterbacks I could find who threw the ball more than Nesbitt under Johnson that played for Osborne were Terry Luck and Vince Ferragamo. Both played very early in Osborne's coaching career before they ascended to the top of the conference.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Yeah, and Nebraska isn't running that offense anymore either. Nobody is, at least among teams who expect to be taken seriously at the highest levels of the game.

Killian

Post by Killian »

Suncoast,

But Nebraska didn't run a veer option near the end of Osborne's career. The option was mainly out of the I Set, correct? If you're lined up in the I and don't have wing backs motioning into the back field, the defense has to still account for the TE, 2 WR's and anyone else out of the back field. From the Veer, they have to account for the one WR, the TE, and the three guys in the backfield, who they are already keying on.

Van,

You realize that the spread/read option offense that teams run is basically the same offense that GaTech runs, except out of the shotgun, right?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:I believe I'm right in that Nesbitt was more a passing QB when he was recruited to Tech. Had to give up any plans to continue as a QB after college if he stayed on to run Johnson's offense.

I know you're wrong... Dead wrong at that. Nesbitt went to Green County High School which is renowned in Georgia for its defense and option running attack. He had almost more rushing attempts in just his senior season than he had throwing attempts in three years playing QB for them (though he was the back up his sophomore year). He was one of the first players that Paul Johnson hopped on after being hired, specifically for his option ability. He was originally going to go to Duke until Paul Johnson was hired at Georgia Tech when he decommitted and took a visit that very weekend to Georgia Tech where he gave them a verbal.