Wagsey's Dreadful Enchiladas v.2

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Wagsey's Dreadful Enchiladas v.2

Post by Mikey »

This actually sounds pretty good.

For a more, sort of, gourmet presentation, might I suggest a garnish of whole cilantro leaves tossed in a light lime vinaigrette with some paper thin shavings of jicama?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote: Chorizo----out.
Rotel----out.
Flour tortillas-----out.
Chorizo, out? :cry: Man, I love that stuff.

But wifey hates it, so that's the real reason she doesn't want to fix them anymore. The shredded chicken breast sounds right up her alley though.

Rotel - I suppose I could do without and I probably wouldn't know a flour from a corn tortilla if I saw them side by side. But I will look for the ones that say 'corn' on the package next time.

When you get your recipe refined, let me know what it is and how they turn out. I'll pass it on to the wife. I have nothing to add as I'm pretty much just a novice nuisance in the kitchen.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

How about a bit of enchilada sauce and white melting cheese drizzled on top?

If you want to go white, a good garlic/cumin bechemel would do along with the cheese.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

You could go "traditional" for the enchilada setup... or at least what I know as traditional. Stick with the mushroom veloute, but don't make it too dense. Make it about the thickness of a bechemel for a baked pasta, maybe, or maybe even a little less think than that.

Cook the chicken with the peppers and maybe add a little of the sauce if you'd like, or just season with coriander and cumin. You could also throw in something like ancho chiles for a little of the Mexican, and a little smoky-sweet depth. If you want the mushrooms to carry through beyond the sauce, have some cooked up and layered in along with the chicken and the cheese... although that might be a little too busy. Take your tortillas, dip them in the sauce a la traditional enchilada preparation, fill and roll. Place them in a baking dish seam-side down and sprinkle with more cheese, then bake until bubbly. If you do it that way, the tortillas might even get a little crisp on the edges. If you don't want to dip the tortillas, just fill and roll them and place them in your baking dish, cover the whole thing with the sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake until done.

A nice julienne of roasted poblano chilis and a bit of cilantro over the top would be good, maybe with a little creme fraiche (or just sour cream, maybe slightly thinned). Or instead of the poblano/cilantro, for some reason I feel like oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes would be good on this (finely chopped). I could be way off about that. I can just imagine the sweet and tangy flavor being a nice foil to the earthy/creamy flavors in the enchiladas. I wouldn't use much, but I think a little might add quite a bit of vibrance to the dish. It also might not be good at all.

Hmm.