Texas Bowl Live from Press Row (Sidelines)

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Re: Texas Bowl Live from Press Row (Sidelines)

Post by WolverineSteve »

Left Seater wrote:GO BLUE!
Rack!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

You are missing an S in there.

However, anytime any of you M fans want to get me a ticket I will be there and rooting for the Blue.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

My bad. The ticket can be arranged though.

Looked like a bad spot on the 4th down play.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Was right in front of me but about 15 stories down. Don't fumble, and you get it easily.

Mizzou now 0 for 6 on third down.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Whats the free grub like in the press box?

Anything in the press packet about Navy's unis?

Big Play!! Ricky Dobbs MVP!!
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Brisket, Sausage, Ranch Beans, fruit salad, mixed field greens, chicken salad, tuna salad, pecan pie, chocolate cake, and cherry pie.

No nothing on the uniforms. I will ask the SID about them and update.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

2 plays, 58 yards, :35 TOP.

Total yards Navy 427 Mizzou 262.

Navy QB Dobbs now second Navy QB to both run and throw for 1000 yards in a season.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Best dust off the decks of the USS Missouri and have Gary Pinkel sign those unconditional surrender papers over to the Navy.
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Checked my picks...I took Navy +3.5.

Go Navy!!!

With the failed 4th down that ought to be ballgame.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

not sure about going for it on 4th and 12. there's 10+ minutes left.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Agreed, but I guess they were thinking they might not get three more attempts what with the way Navy is moving the ball.

Dobss is the MVP vote since there was only one and I agree.

PET of what I am allowed to shoot will be up sometime this weekend.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

10 plays, 85 yards, 5:09 TOP.

Dobbs now 7 yards short of Texas bowl rushing record.

Ghost town on Mizzou side of stadium.

Golden Girls still looking very good.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Just humiliating and pathetic.

Glad I got my mini-meltdown out of the way in the 1st half instead of saving it up for now.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Off to the Presser. Wrap up and photos sometime tomorrow.

Please be safe and don't drink and drive tonight.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Left Seater wrote: Great Mizzou sign just shown inside the stadium. "Hey KU how is the TV reception?"
Came through loud and clear, thanks.

Good thing MU had a month to prepare for Navy and not a week. Would've hated to see you lose by 60.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

This wasn't a regular-season game, they had plenty of time to prep for Navy's O. D should've had their shit down. While Mizzou is young this is the bowl, they have a season under their belts now. They should be able to take advantage of their superior talent. I could understand Navy winning if they were getting the breaks, but there is no excuse for Mizzou just getting whipped.

Maybe the tigs just weren't amped to be playing Navy in yet another bowl lower than their league-standing said they should get. But Pink still has to get his guys ready to play because you know dang well Navy will bring it.

I feel for you Wags, Pinkel's inconsistency has to be maddening.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

WolverineSteve wrote:What's with the red in Navy's unis? Is there some symbolism or just a fashion thing?
Red is the official color of the Marine Corps IIRC. Some Midshipmen take Marine Corps commissions.

That said, I've never noticed red as part of Navy's football uniforms.
Believe the Heupel wrote:
Left Seater wrote:Off to the Presser. Wrap up and photos sometime tomorrow.

Please be safe and don't drink and drive tonight.
Considering avoiding amateur night altogether.
That's what I did. Since I had kids, I just stay home with them and watch the ball drop. The kids get sparkling grape juice and the adults get champagne.

Rack Lefty for the behind-the-scenes bowl game insight, btw.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:What's with the red in Navy's unis? Is there some symbolism or just a fashion thing?
Red is the official color of the Marine Corps IIRC. Some Midshipmen take Marine Corps commissions.

That said, I've never noticed red as part of Navy's football uniforms.

Yahoo Sports wrote:They wore the same uniforms they donned for their 17-3 win over Army on Dec. 12—gold on the shoulders and lined with red on the beltline and arms to honor the Marine Corps.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I'm still sitting here in disbelief that Mizzou could score a TD just 24 freaking seconds into the game... and not score another the rest of the day.

To Pinkel's partial credit, he took the blame for it being the worst football game he ever coached and I totally agree. Complete, epic FAIL. 2nd worst Bowl loss in Mizzou history. Only a 40-0 beatdown in the 1960 Orange Bowl to Georgia was worse.

Props to Navy. They hadn't played each other since the 1961 Orange Bowl (Mizzou won) and I hope it's that long before they play again.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:To Pinkel's partial credit, he took the blame for it being the worst football game he ever coached and I totally agree.
that's really saying something, since MU's bowl loss to Oregon State a few years ago was among the worst coached games (at least the 4th Q and OT) that I've ever seen.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

Degenerate wrote:
Left Seater wrote: Great Mizzou sign just shown inside the stadium. "Hey KU how is the TV reception?"
Came through loud and clear, thanks.

Good thing MU had a month to prepare for Navy and not a week. Would've hated to see you lose by 60.
Funny thing is, if KU had to play Navy and had that month to prepare THEY still would've lost by 60. KYOA much?
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

War Wagon wrote:I'm still sitting here in disbelief that Mizzou could score a TD just 24 freaking seconds into the game... and not score another the rest of the day.

To Pinkel's partial credit, he took the blame for it being the worst football game he ever coached and I totally agree. Complete, epic FAIL. 2nd worst Bowl loss in Mizzou history. Only a 40-0 beatdown in the 1960 Orange Bowl to Georgia was worse.

Props to Navy. They hadn't played each other since the 1961 Orange Bowl (Mizzou won) and I hope it's that long before they play again.
Pinkel should almost resign over the shitty performance his team put on the field yesterday- I saw numerous snaps in the 1st half where Navy only had TWO down linemen, yet Blaine just kept chucking it anyway instead of audibling into running plays to take advantage of the lack of defensive bodies up front. Pitiful...just fucking HORRIBLE. And the defense just sitting back and letting Navy pound the fucking rock down their fucking throats instead of attacking those fuckers and trying to blow up their shit in the backfield every now and then just frustrated me to no end.

Oh well, this team will be MUCH better next season now that the young guys got a year under their belts, and the WR talent coming in might give MU the best WR corp in the nation next year. Still, this loss was just almost too much to take- Pinkel clearly will NEVER understand the meaning of in-game adjustments.
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:
War Wagon wrote:To Pinkel's partial credit, he took the blame for it being the worst football game he ever coached and I totally agree.
that's really saying something, since MU's bowl loss to Oregon State a few years ago was among the worst coached games (at least the 4th Q and OT) that I've ever seen.
I partially agree with that. They managed to blow an 11 point lead with less than 5 minutes left by not doing what had got them that lead in the first place, being aggressive. They basically went into a shell and played not to lose, thus handing over a game they should've easily won.

I wanted him fired after that game... but at least they were ready to play. Yesterday, they were completely unprepared and unable to make any adjustments whatsoever. Just horrible.

But I'm calling for him to be fired now. He's proved enough to me that I have to take the bad with the good and hope he fucking learns something from that fiasco.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
I partially agree with that. They managed to blow an 11 point lead with less than 5 minutes left by not doing what had got them that lead in the first place, being aggressive. They basically went into a shell and played not to lose, thus handing over a game they should've easily won.
what i remember from that game was MU/Pinkel never ran the ball in the last few minutes when doing so would have probably won the game, easily. instead, Pinkel throws the ball with many incompletes and then 3 and out to stop the clock (more than once, as i recall)....and thereby OSU never had to burn timeouts until their last game tying drive (for which they had at least 2 and maybe all 3). conventional play-calling, not to mention MU had run the ball effectively in that game, easily burns a couple extra minutes and at the very least forces OSU to start calling TO. either way, Pinkel managed to stretch the game-clock for Oregon State in a way far more efficient than they could have done themselves....he did their job for them and, defying most conceptions of possibility, let OSU back in the game.

bizarre. now, to be fair OSU came into that game as a "hot team" coming off a win over USC and MU outplayed them most of the game....so maybe you are right that wire to wire the Navy game was the bigger stinker.
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

War Wagon wrote: To Pinkel's partial credit, he took the blame for it being the worst football game he ever coached and I totally agree. Complete, epic FAIL. 2nd worst Bowl loss in Mizzou history. Only a 40-0 beatdown in the 1960 Orange Bowl to Georgia was worse.
Pinkel did say that in the opening remarks of the presser. However, after 'Spoon and Alexander left and coach was taking questions, someone asked him a follow up to the worst game comment. He said it was the worst "BOWL" Game he ever coached, not the worst game ever.

I asked him about the stretch running plays and if they ever thought about a zone read type of play up the middle. He looked pissed and talked about how the stretch allows the backs to find lanes over a much larger area.