Christmas Eve Menu

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Christmas Eve Menu

Post by Mikey »

OK, I'm not fixing dinner tomorrow. We're going out.

Then we'll be flying out to the Least Coast early Christmas morning.

Here's what we'll be choosing from for Christmas Eve...

http://www.vincentsongrand.com/noel.html
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Christmas Eve Menu

Post by indyfrisco »

Nice menu. I especially liked the Pecan-Crusted Rainbow Trout with Parsley Brown Butter Sauce. Sounds awesome.

I bitched to the in-laws over Thanksgiving how I was insulted I did not get to cater the family meal. 60 of us for every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

They told me to put my food where my mouth is. They know I cook as good as Dwight Howard dunks. I asked what they wanted and they requested Beef Brisket with Brent's BBQ Sauce and some of my famous potato salad (no mayo in mine). I guess I got off easy. I said I would make all side dishes, but they insisted I start slow for the 60+ and just do meat and a salad.

I cooked the meat this past weekend, slow smoked over 10 hours on mesquite, cherry and hickory wood after rubbed down with a spicy brazilian beef rub. Sliced very thin and put in large bowl in fridge. Will put the brisket in a 22 qt. roaster oven with 1 gallon Brent's Mild BBQ Sauce for about 5 hours on medium heat Christmas day to reheat and infuse the sauce.

Potato Salad completed tonight. My work is done.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Rum and Coke
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:Nice menu. I especially liked the Pecan-Crusted Rainbow Trout with Parsley Brown Butter Sauce. Sounds awesome.

I bitched to the in-laws over Thanksgiving how I was insulted I did not get to cater the family meal. 60 of us for every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

They told me to put my food where my mouth is. They know I cook as good as Dwight Howard dunks. I asked what they wanted and they requested Beef Brisket with Brent's BBQ Sauce and some of my famous potato salad (no mayo in mine). I guess I got off easy. I said I would make all side dishes, but they insisted I start slow for the 60+ and just do meat and a salad.

I cooked the meat this past weekend, slow smoked over 10 hours on mesquite, cherry and hickory wood after rubbed down with a spicy brazilian beef rub. Sliced very thin and put in large bowl in fridge. Will put the brisket in a 22 qt. roaster oven with 1 gallon Brent's Mild BBQ Sauce for about 5 hours on medium heat Christmas day to reheat and infuse the sauce.

Potato Salad completed tonight. My work is done.
This sounds good. How do you make your potato salad?

I'm very particular about potato salad and have a never-fail recipe, but it's mayo based. The one thing I can't stand is that sweet mass produced stuff. Nothing sweet in my potato salad.

I used to work in a German restaurant where they made a potato salad that was served warm. Vinegar based dressing with onions and pepper. It was excellent but I never learned how to make it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I can give the recipe in full if you want but off memory her eit is basically:

Potatoes (red) boiled al dente like pasta, pickles, yellow onion, pimentos, boiled egg, celery salt, pepper.

Dressing: Eggs, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, water, butter, mustard

I cook the dressing whisking constantly until it is very thick. Once thickens, I fold it into above ingredients.

I then top with sliced hard boiled eggs and paprika. Served cold.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

mvscal wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Dressing: Eggs, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, water, butter, mustard
What purpose does flour serve in a hollandaise type sauce?
I can give you the full recipe with quantities and feel free to tell me how good or bad it is with or without flourl What I do works. Don't know the science to it.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

Crown rack of lamb chops, scalloped taters, green bean casserole, and apple pie with vanilla ice cream tomorrow night.

Friday night is lobster and prime rib night with steamers for an appetizer.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

JMak wrote:Friday night is lobster and prime rib night with steamers for an appetizer.
Rack Friday night steamers....Cleveland-style.

JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

I'd go for the company, but I'm living in Portland, OR now.

2lbs per person with some melted butter...only thing better would be eating them out East on the Cape.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

I'd be having the foie gras ravioli, the soup, and the duck. I find those dessert choices a little uninspired compared to the rest of the menu, but I suppose I'd get the chocolate marquis.

We're doing brunch tomorrow for the third year in a row. We're expecting at least 10 people and maybe more, to drop in at some point. It's our first time entertaining in our new home. The kitchen is about 75% through a major overhaul. We were hoping it'd be finished by Christmas, but things get pushed back. So far we've upgraded from crappy broken tile counters to an INCREDIBLE 3cm slab of granite; from a crappy stained porcelain sink that was 6" deep at best to a 9" undermounted stainless sink, which when added to the granite depth is downright cavernous. We also have a gorgeous new fixture and a kickass new french door fridge. Waiting on the backsplash, floor tile (down to subfloor at the moment), and trim to fix where old counters were removed. Oh, and new lights, because the lights in there suck big time.

It should all be finished within a couple weeks.

BUT, here is our menu, much of which is already either in process or finished:

apricot-cured salmon (currently curing) with mini bagels, cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onions, and capers
2 different savory bread puddings (sounds better than "casserole"): bacon-onion-pepper-cheddar and sausage-mushroom-swiss
2 different scones: currant and cranberry-orange
roasted pears
salad with endives/apples/blue cheese/almonds/balsamic vinaigrette
homemade rugelach for dessert (SO YUMMY)

edit to add: champagne and pomegranate cocktail, OJ, fizzy beverages, coffee, tea, and sipping chocolate from TJ's. yum.

I can't wait!
Merry Christmas!!