Question about BCS and Public Colleges(Law guys need apply)

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Question about BCS and Public Colleges(Law guys need apply)

Post by Adelpiero »

With many of the BCS schools being Public and taking federal and state money, wouldn't being part of something that excludes other Public colleges be some sort of illegal action?

One could say, It's sort of discrimination. And with the Public Universities getting fed and state money it would include them in those type of laws.

Just curious what the angle would be with that!

PS Isn't Money from NCAA Contract and tourney dished to all of the conferences?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Question about BCS and Public Colleges(Law guys need apply)

Post by King Crimson »

i don't know your answer, but the U of Colorado gets less than 10% of its operating budget from public moneys.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Adelpiero wrote: PS Isn't Money from NCAA Contract and tourney dished to all of the conferences?
Something like 1/2 to schools and 1/2 to conferences, based on formulas. As in, conferences will get more based on the number of teams they get in, plus how well those teams actually did in the tournament going back 5-6 years.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Interesting note on a similar but different topic.

There are some schools that have their athletic budgets completely seperate from the overall school budget. Granted not many, but there are some. Anyway two lawyers who graduated from these schools are trying to argue that Title IX would not apply to such schools.

Long shot maybe but they can make a decent arguement. I will look for a link.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Left Seater wrote:Interesting note on a similar but different topic.

There are some schools that have their athletic budgets completely seperate from the overall school budget. Granted not many, but there are some. Anyway two lawyers who graduated from these schools are trying to argue that Title IX would not apply to such schools.

Long shot maybe but they can make a decent arguement. I will look for a link.
hell, a group of Norman lawyers decided to sue the NCAA under the Sherman-Anti Trust Act as a bet over a steak dinner and, after going to the Supreme Court, that's why we have BTPCF on TV 12 straight hours on multiple channels on Saturdays.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

Left Seater wrote:There are some schools that have their athletic budgets completely seperate from the overall school budget. Granted not many, but there are some. Anyway two lawyers who graduated from these schools are trying to argue that Title IX would not apply to such schools.
A complete waste of time.

This has been tried, it's gone to the Supreme Court, it's been ruled upon, and Congress has overruled the USSC's interepretation by clarifying that that Title IX's requirements apply institution-wide and are not program-specific.

Maybe those two lawyers should sue the turnip truck they just fell off of.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Point taken and addressed by these two. However, in the past no athletic department was completely seperate from the Univ on a money standpoint. There was always some sort of sharing of funds.

That is now not the case at some schools. None of the olympic or minor sports recieve any funding from the University in any way. In fact they even refereneced the fact that two unnamed athletic depts have made loans to the Univ General Fund.

Not saying Congress or the Courts would allow it, but past reasons are different today.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.