It's Pot Roast Weather

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

ppanther
Elwood

It's Pot Roast Weather

Post by ppanther »

...and I have a cold and need comfort food. Pot Roast is in the oven!! This is adapted from a recipe given to me by a friend. It has converted my husband, who previously thought pot roast was dreadfully boring. (His very nice mother is very reluctant to season food.) This recipe is VERY simple and yields great results. Simple (but delicious) is key when cooking while also caring for a 9-week-old (and a 21-month-old).

3-4 lb. chuck roast
1 onion
root vegies of your choice, I am using carrots, potatoes, and parsnips, all peeled and chopped into manageable pieces
1 piece fresh rosemary
2-3 pieces fresh thyme

sauce:
8 oz. tomato sauce
4 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. flour

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large dutch oven, brown meat on all sides. Cover with onions sliced into rings. Add root vegies to the pot and lay herbs over the top.

Stir together sauce ingredients and pour over ingredients in the pot. Cover and place in oven for 4 hours. (I've done it 3 and had no problems... but the closer to 4 the better.)

Eat alone, with a salad, with bread, or whatever other way works for you and yours. Enjoy!!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: It's Pot Roast Weather

Post by Mikey »

This sounds good...may have to try it.

I've always been pretty much "old school" when it comes to pot roast...chuck or 7 bone roast, use the recipe on the Lipton onion soup package, add a bunch of onions, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms (optional). Cook it in a dutch oven or large covered saute or heavy skillet on the stovetop until you can pull it apart with a fork. You can't go wrong.
ppanther
Elwood

Re: It's Pot Roast Weather

Post by ppanther »

Just try your recipe with this sauce, Mikey. You probably have all the ingredients on-hand. It's SO delicious. Looking forward to leftovers tonight!!