June Jones

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

campinfool
2009 PET Champion

June Jones

Post by campinfool »

Is taking SMU to a bowl game. Looks like he is a bad ass coach to turn thAt cluster fuck around. First Hawaii and now SMU? How come he does not pop up on the radar for any big time openings?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: June Jones

Post by SunCoastSooner »

campinfool wrote:Is taking SMU to a bowl game. Looks like he is a bad ass coach to turn thAt cluster fuck around. First Hawaii and now SMU? How come he does not pop up on the radar for any big time openings?
Gimmick offense that has only ever worked with the mid majors and when it matches up against better defenses tends to get crushed.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Okay, but does he get crushed because of the gimmick offense or due to talent level? Urban Meyer ran a gimmick offense at Utah and brought it with him to FLA and he is a meat beater's poster child.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

campinfool wrote:Urban Meyer ran a gimmick offense at Utah and brought it with him to FLA and he is a meat beater's poster child.
That "gimmick" is responsible for a sea change in every level of football. People are emulating it, not laughing at it.

What he runs and what June Jones runs are two completely different animals.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

How come he does not pop up on the radar for any big time openings?
Maybe because he has the same first name as I do?

Sin,

War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

campinfool wrote:Okay, but does he get crushed because of the gimmick offense or due to talent level? Urban Meyer ran a gimmick offense at Utah and brought it with him to FLA and he is a meat beater's poster child.
Dude is right there in North Texas where he can recruit any number of at least 3 star players out of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, or New Mexico. Talent isn't the issue. The offense is meant to exploit defenses who have at least two or three deficiencies in the defensive backfield.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
txangler74
Elwood

Post by txangler74 »

I think the SMU faithful, whats left of them, will take what they can get. My wife is a SMU alum and we make it to 3-4 games a year. This year has been the most exciting that I can remember. The student body still doesn't attend the games. It's frustraiting to see 25-30K tailgating on the Blvd and maybe half of them make it into the game. If Jones can win 8-9 games a year, contend for a conference championship every year, hell maybe make a TCU type run, that fan base will be beside themselves. I think SMU is still hamstrung with higher academic standards for athletes then what the TCU and Boise St's don't have to worry with. I think when June got hired he eased things up a bit. It will be fun to watch the next 3-4 years. His recruiting classes are already the best that program has seen since mid 80's.
Last edited by txangler74 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
F-You man, I'll never go to Texas. I hated Texas from that point on.
-Eric Dickerson on his recruitment to the University of Texas
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah ,but that is what I'm taling about. Did Hawaii get crushed by the Georgia defense because of formations and play calling or just dominated by better athletes. Could he win bg games with his system if he had the players of Tex, Fla, or the like. Seems like he would be a better hire for some than some of the retreads popping up on the radar of some teams.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

It's not a gimmick, it's just the spread's predecessor the run-and-shoot.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Danimal wrote:run-and-shoot.
Which, in it's "modern form," came from my high school, thank you very much.

The R&S, in the Old Days, was a huuuuge breakthough in U&L football. Back before all the high schools went to artificial turf, it was important -- by the end of the high school season, it's the Wet Season. Without getting too long-winded (that was a self-effacing Dins joke), with the sloppy soils in the Valley, traction is non-existant in the late season -- very short passes to the backs become the weapon of choice (and BTW-fuck artificial turf for ruining "Northwest-style football").

I guess my point being, it was bred somewhat out of neccessity, not so much a "gimmick."

But anyhoo -- at one time, Oregon's QB depth chart read: Dan Fouts, June Jones, and Norv Turner. Not a bad lineup. Jones transferred to Portland State, and enjoyed big success in the R&S.

GOOOOOOOO Junebug. Get yourself paid, brother.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

smackie, a.k.a. Dins, wrote:Which, in it's "modern form,"
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

ELIMINATED.

It's really no worse than someone not only habitually using "different than," but actually defending that bit of grammatical butchery.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one