Bonfire 10 years on...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Bonfire 10 years on...

Post by Left Seater »

10 years ago the ATM family lost 12 of their members. Thoughts and prayers to those who lost their friends and family.

On a state level we saw what the rest of the country experienced two years later on 9/11. Everyone felt for the Aggies and reached out in any way they could. My wife still talks about the halftime show at the Texas game when the Texas band played amazing grace and then Taps. Not a dry eye in the house in her words and the start of her acceptance that Texas and Longhorns really aren't evil.

Recently the Gov of the State of Texas came out and said he expects Bonfire to be back on campus by 2011 and possibly 2010. Texas Monthly also has a story on Bonfire this month which is told completely by those involved in Stack. It is a good read and plays it pretty much right down the middle. It talks of the benefits the students gained and the first hand leadership skills practiced. It also talks about the team building and how many felt that cut and stack really got them involved as a part of the ATM family.

Further it also presents the side that not all was positive, again from those there on the night of the collapse. They discuss how it started out as being about football thru the 60's and then how it changed post 60. The article talks about the teepee style used prior to going to the wedding cake design. It lays out the decisions the red and brown pots made to remove certain elements that over the years made the design less sound. It also touches on alcohol use and other hazing type activities that made it such a dangerous environment.

It finishes by making the case for a against the return of Bonfire to campus. Excellent points made both ways. One opinion from a former Red Pot is very telling how the feeling has changed from those who were involved from the mid 80s on felt. He said the only reason to burn it is because that is the easiest way to remove it so they can build it again next year, and really has nothing to do with football or the Texas game.

My opinion doesn't matter but here on the net I get to offer it. I don't see Bonfire back on campus in any way that resembled the student lead one from a decade ago. Given the money the school has paid out, future insurance policies are going to be excessive. And what with the Athletic Dept having to borrow money from the University's General Fund, I don't see a multi million dollar expense being approved for Bonfire. My wife at one time wanted it back, but now she is really neutral. She would attend if it returned, but she doesn't think it is worth any student's life.

Anyway my point in all of this was to remember the 12 (that number means a lot around ATM)
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Bonfire 10 years on...

Post by indyfrisco »

We will always remember the 12.

As my title states, I am Pro Bonfire. Still am. However, it isn't worth any loss of life. To be honest, I'm surprised there haven't been any deaths during cut. While it will never be the same, I'd still rather have a stack built by a contracting company allowing the students to help in any way where their lives will not be at risk. I would go to that if I could.

And I did remember the halftime show. My coworker's mom worked for Bowen in the Provost office. She scored me tickets to that game at the 50 yard line on the alumni side 7 rows up. I still have my ticket stub from that game. Texas was very classy during the halftime show, and I've pretty much called off the dogs on my "smack" towards them since then. Yeah, an occasional blast but nothing like I used to be. The rivalry changed in 1999 for me.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, for over 100 years, they did build it safely. They use steel cable to reinforce 3 logs at a time and intertwine the the three log stacks together with more cable. It is a very sturdy and safe construction model. It had one major flaw. They built it on dirt. In 1999 when the collapse occurred, the ground was wet and shifted and fell. It should never be built on the dirt again. It needs a foundation. Until they put in some kind of concrete/rock/steel foundation that can withstand the weight of the stack and the heat of the fire, they should never build it again. Also, they should never use logs as the center pole again either. We've always used two logs spliced together with steel braces. It needs to be some kind of reinforced steel center pole. Of course, when it falls while on fire, it wouldn't look as appealing because you'd still have a pole standing there but hey, why not? Better to save the lives.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

88 wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:Well, for over 100 years, they did build it safely. They use steel cable to reinforce 3 logs at a time and intertwine the the three log stacks together with more cable. It is a very sturdy and safe construction model. It had one major flaw. They built it on dirt. In 1999 when the collapse occurred, the ground was wet and shifted and fell. It should never be built on the dirt again. It needs a foundation. Until they put in some kind of concrete/rock/steel foundation that can withstand the weight of the stack and the heat of the fire, they should never build it again. Also, they should never use logs as the center pole again either. We've always used two logs spliced together with steel braces. It needs to be some kind of reinforced steel center pole. Of course, when it falls while on fire, it wouldn't look as appealing because you'd still have a pole standing there but hey, why not? Better to save the lives.
You and I should write a grant proposal to the Feds, requesting stimulus caysh to prepare a definitive bonfire study for the purpose of saving lives, cutting down on greenhouse emissions and employing lumberjacks and steel workers. Just sayin.
that's a grant waiting to happen.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

I got on here to post about this.

I really should start hanging out more again.

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

the_ouskull wrote:I got on here to post about this.

I really should start hanging out more again.

the_ouskull
Who are you?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.