Great, Larry. Now do it on a picture of Muhammed.

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Re: Great, Larry. Now do it on a picture of Muhammed.

Post by Van »

PSUFAN wrote:
R-Jack wrote:I don't watch Curb and have no intention of viewing this
That's a shame - give a shot, you'll like it.

Like smackaholic said, the joke is that LD splashed a picture of Haysoose with his piss, because he had a really strong stream due to some meds he was taking. Christ in Piss comparisons are totally misguided. People are totally off the mark in decrying LD "pissing on Christ" - and tards that sound off on shit that they haven't even seen will never not be funny.

"Oh, LD should piss on Muhammed also just to be fair"...fuck off, you PC wind-powered douchesocks.
Bullshit, PSU. He knew precisely what he was doing there, with that scene. Like R-Jack said, he was mocking the stereotype of stupid Christians finding miracles in totally stupid shit.

I don't mind that he did it. I'm about the least P.C. person on the planet. I loathe anything done in the name of political correctness.

Thats why I loathe this. I don't loathe that he did it, I loathe the political correctness in taking the safe route of picking on Christians, rather than pissing on Jews or Muslims, which would have been much edgier and funnier anyway, had he chosen to make it so. It's just plain milquetoast to rag on dumb as dirt Christians.

If you want to be irreverent and funny there, LD, fine. Knock yourself out. Take on a tougher, less P.C. subject.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

He's a comic. Comedy is timing and delivery, not subject matter.
Huh? Didn't you just spend the last 50,000 words clamoring on about some very specific subject matter you'd like to see?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

But he has a point. Timing and delivery are key components.

The argument could be made that ANYTHING is funny if the timing is right and the delivery ... funny.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Tom In VA wrote:Van, astute as always.

I don't know if RJack meant it this way, but to me HIS point seems to be that the creators of comedy aren't askeered. LD is most definitely capable and probably WILLING to do all the things you just mentioned BUT ...

HBO would be pussies and not let him.
That's a fair point. Maybe he would like to do it, and he's prevented from doing so by the network.

So, yeah, on that score, I may be misassigning blame.

That's a very good point, and I don't know the real truth there, so I need to back off on the degree of blame I lay at LD's feet.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I loathe the political correctness in taking the safe route of picking on Christians, rather than pissing on Jews or Muslims
Are you serious? :lol:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Tom In VA wrote:But he has a point. Timing and delivery are key components.

The argument could be made that ANYTHING is funny if the timing is right and the delivery ... funny.
I agree completely. I just find it contradictory to raise a fuss over subject matter, then in the next breath claim subject matter is irrelevant.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
He's a comic. Comedy is timing and delivery, not subject matter.
Huh? Didn't you just spend the last 50,000 words clamoring on about some very specific subject matter you'd like to see?
What does that have to do with anything? Your point in support of R-Jack's point was that he chose this topic because it was funny, speculating that he didn't choose Islam to mock because it wouldn't be funny.

My point is that he could make any topic funny, because comedy isn't based on subject matter, it's based on timing and delivery. There is no topic that a skilled comic can't make funny.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Oh, and yes, Mgo, I'm well aware of the fact that LD also makes fun of Jews.

He doesn't literally piss on the Torah though.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

You're over-thinking it just a wee bit, Van.

I defy you to watch the show and not get a chuckle out of the scene where the portrait gets splashed - and subsequently the owners see opportunities to describe it as a miracle.

If you weren't 56,987 words into a screed about something you've never even seen, you might be able to consider that LD isn't cracking Christianity - rather, he's cracking stupid people who treat something like that as a windfall. The owner quits her job and plans to buy a motorhome to travel the country and spread the good news. He's not getting anywhere near Christ or Christianity - he's making fun of the simpletons that use those things to try to get over. It's funny - you should watch it.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

This thread definitely lost the funny.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

PSUFAN wrote:He's not getting anywhere near Christ or Christianity - he's making fun of the simpletons that use those things to try to get over.
He's not ?

So human beings taking a work of art, a creation that isn't theirs, and pissing on it isn't a parallel to human beings taking a human being (Christ) - a creation that isn't theirs - and shredding the skin of his back and nailing him to a cross with railroad spikes only to have that ... "phenomena" turned into an enterprise to "get over" ?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Go Coogs' wrote:This thread definitely lost the funny.

Ssssssh. That's what's funny about it. :D
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

That sounds ok too, Tom
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:Oh, and yes, Mgo, I'm well aware of the fact that LD also makes fun of Jews.

He doesn't literally piss on the Torah though.
So? He cracks on Jews in practically every episode - because he didn't do it in that exact scene defines political correctness to you? That's ridiculous. His goals shouldn't be to come up with edgy, non-pc stuff and then figure a way to make it funny. His goals should be to come up with funny stuff, period.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSU, I never said it wasn't funny. I simply said there are a million other things he could also make funny, including ragging on radical Muslims in a similar fashion, yet he chooses not to do so.

Tom correctly pointed out that maybe it's his network reining him in, which I concede.

I've seen his show. I've never made it through an entire episode, but it's nearly impossible to turn on HBO and not run into his show. It's on 24-7, on every damn HBO channel. So, yeah, I've seen it.

Nails on a chalkboard, to me. Way too much pissy, overly-Jewishy, petty angst. I can never take more than maybe five minutes of it, before I'm flipping the channel in search of a rerun of Family Guy on TBS.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

R-Jack, I will also out you as a liar if you tell me a comic as skilled as LD couldn't come up with a similar vignette about radical Islam which you would get and find humorous.

Please. Quit sandbagging. You're not so ignorant that you would require a sledgehammer joke before you'd get it. There's a whole world of angles he could employ to make you laugh over a similar vignette about stupid Muslims.

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

LD frequently...incessantly uses Judaism as a comedic foil. If there was some way to write a joke where pissing on a torah was mistaken for tears and thus a miracle, I'm sure he'd get it in there.

best scene ever: LD is standing outside of a movie theater, whistling...Wagner. A jewish guy walks up in disbelief and confronts him...how can a Jew be whistling Wagner? Maybe he isn't a real Jew? LD: "you want to check my penis?"

The better part of another episode was devoted to a situation where a "devout" jewish woman and LD were stranded on a chairlift, and she was beside herself because she'd be alone with a man she wasn't married to after sundown on the Sabbath.

Heavens to Betsy - he knew exactly what he was doing there, Van!
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

You know, the funny thing here is, I bet Jesus would think it was funny.

Afterall, he all but lost it when he saw the merchants in the temple the "money changers", commercializing the Jewish faith. He tipped over their tables and was outraged.

I honestly see no difference today in the whole "Got Jesus" play on "Got Milk" kind of stuff, the industry behind "Christian Rock", the industry behind established denominations and "Televangelists".

I don't judge it either, it's not mine to judge. But I can laugh at it when people poke fun. South Park's episode where Cartmen starts a Christian Rock band perfectly displays this.

You have to wonder.

From a secular perspective. Any time money changes hands it's good for the economy. So I say more power to them all. LD, the people LD was mocking, etc.. etc..

If it floats your boat .... sail away mang. It's all good.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSU, like I said, way too Jewishy for me. Even though I gather the show takes place in California, the thing always seems way too New York Jewishy to me. I can only take so much self-depricating "Oy vey!" humor.

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Van wrote:PSU, like I said, way too Jewishy for me. Even though I gather the show takes place in California, the thing always seems way too New York Jewishy to me. I can only take so much self-depricating "Oy vey!" humor.
Maybe you would feel more comfortable at StormFront, Adolph. Do you have some crack to make about Jews being cheap too?

Seriously, it's anti-Semitic bullshit like this that makes me loathe the internet.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Wrong thread Marty.

Here .... http://www.theoneboard.com/board/viewto ... =2&t=33424

Glad I could help.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I can only take so much self-depricating "Oy vey!" humor.
ELIMINATED!!!

Curb is 99% LD making us laugh because HE'S unbearable - and 1% cracking on things that are just flat-out ridiculous. Perhaps it's an acquired taste...but let me assure you, if you watched say the first three episodes of the first season...you'd get it by the fourth.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

RJack, I get the joke he was making. I'm simply saying that it wasn't funny. You need not urinate on a picture of Christ to get to the intended punchline. LD chose the most offensive method to do it, the coarsest way possible.

And pointing out that he shits on Jews is irrelevant. Shitting on Jews and Christians is safe humor. It aint gonna get you killed, cause riots, or incite massive protest and the ire of some hyphenized American group that is always offended about something. Another poster already nailed...LD chose the PC religious humor. Cowardly as it is pathetically easy.

It's not like we can't find weekly examples of Muslims getting all Sparty fan because someone uttered Muhammed's name without permission. I mean a way funnier subject would have been Canada's criminalization of offensive thoughts. Way more relevant and funny. But LD chose an old standby which aint even relevant and did so in the most crass way.

Like I said, cowardly and pathetic. That the sheeple lol at such comedic swings and misses doesn't say much about the funnay.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

LD chose the most offensive method
Who gives a fuck?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

That the sheeple lol at such comedic swings and misses doesn't say much about the funnay.
Wow, a guy whose anus is firmly planted on the dick of the Republican Party is referencing "sheeple." That's rich. What have YOU ever offered in the way of comedy that would lead me to believe your criticisms are worth anything beyond a piss stained jesus portrait?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

PSUFAN wrote:
I can only take so much self-depricating "Oy vey!" humor.
ELIMINATED!!!

Curb is 99% LD making us laugh because HE'S unbearable - and 1% cracking on things that are just flat-out ridiculous. Perhaps it's an acquired taste...but let me assure you, if you watched say the first three episodes of the first season...you'd get it by the fourth.
Fucking "i" instead of the "e."

Oh well, that ship sailed a long time ago. All those "50,000 word" screeds of mine were always going to do me in sooner rather than later.

The Curb Your Enthusiasm ship has also already sailed for me. I'm not about to go back and watch the first three episodes of the first season.
Last edited by Van on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

PSUFAN wrote:Perhaps it's an acquired taste....
Like that exotic pilsner you're swilling, Mr Sophisticated Beer Man? Guess what? The show flat out sucks. Fuck you. Fuck Larry David. And fuck your Cranberry Amber Boar Piss.

P.S. Have a pleasant weekend.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

MGo, that's funny! Republicans are sheeple??!! Meanwhile the Democrats and the media have been telling us all about the GOP civil war for the last nine months. Square your comment with reality, please...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Republicans are sheeple??!!
No, not necessarily.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

If Jesus wasn't a born comedian, what was he?

"So then Schlomo says...'Well of course it was a ewe, there's nothing queer about ol' Joshua!'...eh?...eh?.."

"And the Japanese guy says, "what you mean wrong hole!?'.....,(I'm dying here, sheesh, what a tough room!)"....
Before God was, I am
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

BTW, you wanna see sheeple? Hope and Change? Jobs saved or created?
LMAO!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

LMAO!
Really? Well I think it's even more clear now how I value your critiques of comedy.
JMak
I merely noted

Post by JMak »

That you value someone else's criticism of comedy kinda undermines your sense of comedy. Yeah, I find irony quite funny. Not sure why humor in irony escapes you...
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Now this thread has turned from funny to downright trippy.

Reminds me of "The Middle of the Film" in Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life".

Ooooooh, fishy, fishy, fish.
Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

JMak wrote:Maybe I am humorless.

There's no "maybe" in this equation.

You're a schvartze.

the truth
"A Renfair douche should NEVER offer up opinions involving BIG TIME POWER CFB, since FeKal doesn't play BIG TIME POWER anything. I apologize to the entire BTPCFB Forum for my feeble commentary."
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

He is?? DrD?

:lol:

Blueblood
Ren Fairy

Post by Blueblood »

Van wrote:He is?? DrD?

:lol:

The "irony" coming full circle is pure comedy.
"A Renfair douche should NEVER offer up opinions involving BIG TIME POWER CFB, since FeKal doesn't play BIG TIME POWER anything. I apologize to the entire BTPCFB Forum for my feeble commentary."
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

it's schwartze, dumbfukk. if you are gonna pretend to be a jew, atleast learn basic yiddish pronunciation rules.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

mvscal wrote: Image

why is my neighborhood on fire
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

I've watched Curb since inception - if you were a Seinfeld fan, you should probably enjoy Curb.
That said, this season is a little weaker than expected - but have some big hopes for the Seinfeld reunion story arc.

Just watched the episode in question - Tom and Van are totally off base on their point (surprise)
But in our "I take everything personnaly beacuse I'm a ________ " society I'm not surprised

And The show is a constant running joke on Jews (since LD is one) and his charchter is cheap. petty and all the other stereotypes you'd want to include. He's also made pokes at every religion - but it's only when he offends yours that anyone wants to bitch [/hypocracy]

Here's the episode: http://www.katzforums.com/showthread.php?t=823767

Judge for yourself