So, we opened up the cheesesteak restaurant (sorta')

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

battery chucka' one
Elwood

So, we opened up the cheesesteak restaurant (sorta')

Post by battery chucka' one »

Going via the Dave Ramsey approach, we decided to start low key. As such, we opened a booth at the Cedar Rapids downtown farmers market. So far, there have been three markets and we have been rather successful on that scale. We'll see how/if it expands from there. If you're in the area on the market days, swing by and grab a sandwich. Peeps have been very stoked about them. We're quite blessed.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Re: So, we opened up the cheesesteak restaurant (sorta')

Post by jiminphilly »

battery chucka' one wrote:Going via the Dave Ramsey approach, we decided to start low key. As such, we opened a booth at the Cedar Rapids downtown farmers market. So far, there have been three markets and we have been rather successful on that scale. We'll see how/if it expands from there. If you're in the area on the market days, swing by and grab a sandwich. Peeps have been very stoked about them. We're quite blessed.
What kind of rolls are you using?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, we need a PET on your operations. A good pic of the cheesesteak too. Is it Cindergashworthy? I'd be happy to advertise for you by replacing this one. Hopefully yours has a lot of that white cheese oozing out of it. This one has no visible discharge.

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I think we've seen that pic enough now. Somebody please kill it.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I agree. That's why I want "fresh meat" for it. :mrgreen:
battery chucka' one
Elwood

jiminphilly wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:Going via the Dave Ramsey approach, we decided to start low key. As such, we opened a booth at the Cedar Rapids downtown farmers market. So far, there have been three markets and we have been rather successful on that scale. We'll see how/if it expands from there. If you're in the area on the market days, swing by and grab a sandwich. Peeps have been very stoked about them. We're quite blessed.
What kind of rolls are you using?
Hoagie buns. We've already gotten thumbs up from two separate customers from Philadelphia.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

smackaholic wrote:I think we've seen that pic enough now. Somebody please kill it.
Seconded.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

battery chucka' one wrote: We've already gotten thumbs up from two separate customers from Philadelphia.
probably belt strained catholics you'd just givin a case of the shits.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Dr_Phibes wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote: We've already gotten thumbs up from two separate customers from Philadelphia.
probably belt strained catholics you'd just givin a case of the shits.
No. Just legit former Philadelphia residents who have been to all the classic restaurants and declared that our cheesesteaks were on a par with them. One of them is our only one who requests cheese whiz on his sandwiches. He got three of them on Saturday.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Just did market #5 yesterday. Two more to go. Repeatedly are getting people asking us if we have a restaurant open. More Philly transplants giving us thumbs up, too.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Anyone who eats cheeze whiz when real cheese is available, should have his taste buds confiscated.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:Anyone who eats cheeze whiz when real cheese is available, should have his taste buds confiscated.

Not to mention his fuckin' dick.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

smackaholic wrote:Anyone who eats cheeze whiz when real cheese is available, should have his taste buds confiscated.
I don't really get it either. However, some enjoy it.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Never claimed to be an authority on cheesesteaks, but, I am an authority on cheese and if I'm putting together a sammich and I got a nice slab of so sharp you could shave with it, cheddar, it's going on my sammich before cheezjizz.

Maybe cheezjizz is the officially philly way of doing it. I really could care less. Damn near everything is made better with a slice of good sharp cheddar. Preferrably melted.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, the FIRST cheese on a cheesesteak was provolone. The first "cheesesteaks" didn't even have cheese and weren't called cheesesteaks. Not sure what they called them. I'd imagine just a steak sandwich. Cheese Whiz didn't come along until like the 50s or 60s I believe and the original cheesesteak house was made in the 20s-30s timeframe.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Wikipedia wrote:The cheesesteak was developed in the early 20th century "by combining frizzled beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread," according to a 1987 exhibition catalog published by the Library Company of Philadelphia and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
Indy wrote:The first "cheesesteaks" didn't even have cheese and weren't called cheesesteaks.
If they weren't called cheesesteaks then how were they the first cheesesteaks?

I am no cheesesteak gourmet. I rarely order them when presented with the opportunity. I don't mind them, I don't think they're the greatest thing since dipped bread, either. If I do order one, I order it with provolone... but I might be tempted to try it with Cheez Whiz someday. Just because. I should do it while I'm still pregnant, so I have an excuse for eating a steaming pile of fat.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Ok, want to play wiki....I was going off something I saw on food network over a year ago.
Wiki from the same fucking place you lifted that right under the damn quote wrote:Philadelphians Pat and Harry Olivieri are often credited with inventing the sandwich by serving chopped-up steak on hoagie rolls in the early 1930s.[3] They began selling his variation of steak sandwiches sandwich at their hot dog stand near south Philadelphia's Italian Market. They became so popular that Pat opened up his own restaurant which still operates today as Pat's King of Steaks. The sandwich was originally prepared without cheese. Olivieri claims cheese was first added by a manager at the Ridge Avenue location. His name was Joe "Cocky Joe" Lorenza and the first cheese he added was provolone."
Of course, you're so damned intent on attempting "smack" in the cooking forum that you completely disregard that I even put quotes around "cheesesteaks" and then the next two sentences qualified the "quote" by saying I didn't know what they called them, steak sandwiches I guess. And sure enough that little tidbit from your wiki link verifies it. Pretty much everything in wiki agrees with what I wrote except part of the timeframes where I was a little off. Semantics...
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Calm down, Indy. It doesn't take a genius to assume they called their bread-and-steak-with-no-cheese creation a steak sandwich.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm....I probably would have called it a telephone.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Mikey wrote:Hmmm....I probably would have called it a telephone.
Semantics.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'll call it a robot, then a building.

At any rate, cheesewhiz is shit. In philly, there are tons of places that use it and always have, and there are tons of places that actually use cheese and other nice, fresh ingredients. If I were operating a cheesesteak stand, I'd use real cheese, and keep a can of the shitwhiz on hand for those who want it.

There are plenty of folks happy with shit bread, shit "steaks", shit cheez...I guess it's good to be prepared to take their money, but I always felt that folks will gravitate to good fresh food that is being served, no matter what it is called or what it's trying to emulate...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
PSUFAN wrote: There are plenty of folks happy with shit bread, shit "steaks", shit cheez
You forgot shit beer.
Beat me to it.

:lol:
battery chucka' one
Elwood

PSUFAN wrote:
At any rate, cheesewhiz is shit. In philly, there are tons of places that use it and always have, and there are tons of places that actually use cheese and other nice, fresh ingredients. If I were operating a cheesesteak stand, I'd use real cheese, and keep a can of the shitwhiz on hand for those who want it.
We have one family who always orders Cheese Whiz. We keep a bottle of it in the fridge for them. They always give us business. No reason not to keep it for them (regardless of how I feel about it on a cheesesteak).
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Well, good luck with your venture.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

PSUFAN wrote:
cheesewhiz is shit. In philly, there are tons of places that use it and always have, and there are tons of places that actually use cheese and other nice, fresh ingredients. If I were operating a cheesesteak stand, I'd use real cheese, and keep a can of the shitwhiz on hand for those who want it.

There are plenty of folks happy with shit bread, shit "steaks", shit cheez...I guess it's good to be prepared to take their money, but I always felt that folks will gravitate to good fresh food that is being served, no matter what it is called or what it's trying to emulate...

Rack this post.